Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Nipple Sparing Mastectomy with immediate reconstruction

Options
1119120121122123125»

Comments

• tinat
    tinat Member Posts: 2,235
    edited March 2013
    Options

Hi TammyT - So happy you had a positive experience!  There is also a thread called (something like) "Where are Nipple Sparing Surgeries Done?".  It might be helpful if you also posted your info there.  Thanks!

• Audreyellis
    Audreyellis Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2013
    Options

Hi all! I am a 25 year old that has been diagnosed with the BRCA 2 gene. I am to have a nipple sparing double mastectomy with immediate (all in one) reconstruction on June 3rd. At this point, I am happy with my decision and content with it. I have a great team of surgeons. My only concern is pain. I am terrified of waking up in pain. It is really bothering me. Can some of you maybe tell me some of your experiences? How was it? I'm seeing that some of you woke up in horrible pain and that some of you seem to have been fine.

• tinat
    edited May 2013
    Options

Audreyellis - So sorry you're dealing with this at such a young age, but it sounds like you are doing your research and have your plan in place.  There is a mix of women on this thread.  "Immediate reconstruction" can mean either direct to implants as it sounds you are having as well as immediate start of reconstruction by placement of tissue expanders with later exchange to implants.  I am in the latter group and I don't know if there is less pain associated with the tissue expanders because they typically aren't fully expanded right at the beginning.

Please be sure you explain your concern to your surgical team and ask the nurses in pre-op to be sure they let the nurses in recovery or post-op know that you are very concerned about pain.  I was in the hospital for 3-4 days and I had IV morphine that I could administer to myself when I needed it by pushing a little button.  It is set so you can't give yourself too much, but I don't recall ever pushing the button and finding that it was too soon for a dose.  Perhaps you can ask your plastic surgeon if he/she will offer that to you.  There is something about having some control over the pain that might make you feel less anxious about it...no worries about waiting for the nurse, etc.  Remember (and the hospital staff will remind you) that staying ahead of the pain is a big key.

Best of luck to you.  Please let us know how everything goes!  

• Audreyellis
    edited May 2013
    Options

TinaT- Thanks for the fast reply. I will have the straight to implants option. I will definitely talk to my doctors and nurses. Thanks for the suggestions. Joining this group makes me feel better about things already.

• tgilbert
    tgilbert Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2013
    Options

Audreyellis pain was something I was really afraid of as well.  I am 3 weeks out from having Nipple Sparring, Direct to (Silicone) Implant PBM.  I remember waking up in recovery feeling uncomfortable...but it was very manageable with the IV pain med.  I was put on a morphine drip in which I could press every 8 minutes or as needed.  I stayed in the hospital overnight and before discharge was switched to percocet for pain.  I stopped taking pain meds at 2 weeks post-op.  My advice is to stay on top of your pain meds.  At bedtime (for the first week) my husband would set his alarm to give me my pain meds so that I wouldn’t accidentally miss a dose.  I hope this is useful to you and I wish you the best of luck!

• kap
    kap Member Posts: 9
    edited May 2013
    Options

AudreyEllis, I am ten weeks out from the same type if surgery. As long as I kept up my pain meds, I was never really in pain. Lots of tightness across chest, but uncomfortable not pain. Feel free to pm me if you have questions.

Karrie

• bcs22
    bcs22 Member Posts: 20
    edited May 2013
    Options

Please ask for IV Tylenol. Depending on your location it may not be standard. For me it worked better than the pump. After I got home I alternated Tylenol and Motrin every 3 hours along with other pain meds as needed. Can't tell you it wasn't painful....but doable. So sorry you need to do it at all. Good luck. I was BMX with expanders btw.

• Audreyellis
    edited May 2013
    Options

Thanks all! I feel better because of your replies!

• shawna32
    shawna32 Member Posts: 13
    edited May 2013
    Options

Well hello ladies its been awhile... Just wanted to drop in and say hi..I had all my surguries and am fully recovered ..I do not regret it a bit for anyone who may be going threw it ...It wasnt easy but well worth it..My exchange sugery was the worst part about it and that only because when i went threw it there was a minor complication there for back for emergency surgery to remove the implant ,,,,flush out the hemoridge that developed and put back together again..sounds like humpty dumpty lol,,,Really i just wanted to tell all of u that were there for me when i needed ya the most thank you soooooo much for your support and encouraging words ...I hope you all are doin well

• Isellrejer
    Isellrejer Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2013
    Options

I just had NSM on May 17th. My right nipple and areola did great, my left nipple did great but the areola is not to happy on one side and the incision is not happy on the left breast either. My PS will be putting the expanders in once both breasts are healed up. I hope the left breast heals up soon. I don't like looking like I do right now.

• cateyz2
    cateyz2 Member Posts: 253
    edited June 2013
    Options

Isellrejer  I had my NSM on May 31st, both of my nipples were Angry as my PS called it, my right one more so that the left. They have improved quite a bit and Dr thinks I may possible loose part of my right but left should be ok.

I did post on the picture forum and will update my progress as it goes

• maureenb
    maureenb Member Posts: 47
    edited September 2013
    Options

I had NSM in May and just finished chemo.  I have what I consider to be a bad result with my procedure.  I went direct to silicone gel implants- about the same size as I was, but after a few weeks, they have developed this "rippling" all around them which looks terrible.  The BS also removed a lot more tissue on my "bad side" and so that nipple was touch and go for awhile and worried me tremendously.  At one point it was black and scabby and we thought we might lose it.  In the beginning she was putting nitroglycerin cream on it which gave me terrible headaches, but now it looks like it is at least partially alive, but it is completely flat and part of it is pink but part is kind of a dark brown.  The other one made it through ok and looks like a normal nipple.  I have to have surgery (with a new PS) to remove my implants, tighten the pocket, add some fat and hopefully get rid of the rippling.  My question to everyone-  should I leave my discolored, flat nipple alone or try to "fix it" somehow?  My old PS said to take some tissue off the good nipple and put it on the flat one since the good one has a lot of projection.  New PS, says leave the good one alone.  Is it reasonable to hope for symmetry after this procedure or do we need to accept that they will be different and just deal with it?  We're lucky to be alive, but...  wish I matched.  Would love to see pix of what others look like after surgery so that I can set my expectations.  This is my first post here, but have posted a lot on other threads.  

• VickieHall777
    VickieHall777 Member Posts: 33
    edited November 2013
    Options

Well, it has been a really long time since I have posted anything, anywhere. I think I came to the point of just not wanting to think about the whole BC, surgery, radiation, lymphedema, results and follow up for at least a little while. In the mean time I have had my post surgery testing and, PRAISE THE LORD!, all is well with "no evidence of disease and marginal breast tissue remaining."

I do have a question for you wonderful ladies with more experience than me...I am blessed to have quite a bit of feeling in some areas of both breasts. I have silicone implants. I am experiencing a difficult time with my breasts being very cold. The difference in temp is VERY evident to the touch and I am having cold, achy feelings in them. If I get under my electric blanket or simply cover them with my hands, they will warm up and be comfortable. Obviously, this is not an effective resolution for being in public. Does anyone have some advice for me?

Thanks so much, and I pray all is well with each of you,

Vickie

• tinat
    edited November 2013
    Options

Vickie - Mine sometimes feel cool to the touch, but the have never felt cold on the "inside".  I wonder if the size/volume of silicone comes into play, like larger implants might just be harder to warm up via body heat.  The only suggestion I have is perhaps that keeping them well-insulated with a thicker bra (one with some padding) might hold the body heat in better? 

• VickieHall777
    edited November 2013
    Options

Thanks, Tina

The size may have something to do with it. I have always been "satisfactorily" endowed and my PC just chose the size to "fill up the sacks", as he put it. I will just keep layering up 'till spring!

• pinktiara
    pinktiara Member Posts: 716
    edited January 2014
    Options

Hi all,

Thank you all for sharing your experiences.  I am having NSDMX on January 17th. Had a moment of feeling very scared last night, thinking I was being too aggressive for a dx of DCIS albeit very extensive in my right breast. However coming here helps to calm my fears.

I seem to be rather unique in that I already have implants from an augmentation many years ago. While I will lose the tissue I will keep the implants as long as my BS is able to avoid puncturing them. I have complete confidence in her ability ..fingers crossed everything goes well.

I am having a SNB as well....how long did your surgery take?

again thank you ladies for your generosity.

Eve

• VickieHall777
    edited January 2014
    Options

Eve,

My surgery took about 8 hours total.

• latisecannon
    latisecannon Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2014
    Options

Hi i'm so sorry 4 to 5 days back at work after a masectomy no way possible, i know that it affects some different n some the same, i experienced pain constantly for the first 3 week I'm 4 weeks out of my masectomy n i still feel pain just not as bad..i had a masectomy with reconstruction expander..I'm not trying to rush my Recovery that's what brings on set backs..I'm geeting ready to start chemotherapy on the 29th..GOOD LUCK ON UR SURGERY N RECOVERY GOD BLESS