Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Nipple Sparing Mastectomy with immediate reconstruction

Options

Comments

• KellieDenise66
    KellieDenise66 Member Posts: 32
    edited October 2012
    Options

MrsCich:

Jack hammers on your floor! You poor thing! I'll bet your head is pounding. The day before my BMX my neighbor was jack hammering up her whole driveway. She was so excited to be getting a brand new driveway, and grumpy me told her I liked her old one better because it was QUIETER! Anxiety, and noise do not go well together. Thank goodness by the time I got home from the hospital the noisy part was over.

Best wishes with your surgery Wednesday. I'm sorry you have to go through that. I hope your plumbing issues are resolved quickly so you can at least get a little peace. Keep us posted!

Anyone:

I know there was some talk of SNB and arm pain. I'm 3 weeks out from my BMX today and just over the weekend I started to feel underarm pain. Its still pretty swollen, and i can feel a string of enlarged lymph nodes. I've been icing it, and it seems to take the edge off. I had lymph node swelling, and pain from original my stereotactic biopsy as well. Had a pretty big hematoma from that. It was even mentioned in my final BMX pathology report. Almost a full 2 months later. Seems more than reasonable that a number of axillary nodes are pretty angry with all the trauma from the surgery. Just wondering what to expect, and how long the node swelling usually lasts??

• MrsCich
    MrsCich Member Posts: 114
    edited October 2012
    Options

KellieDenise, yes jackhammers are not my friend right now. AND this will take a week. Ugh. How am I supposed to have surgery Wednesday and listen and smell this. Ugh.

• tinat
    tinat Member Posts: 2,235
    edited October 2012
    Options

MrsCich - Geez, when it rains........  Some days it just takes one more darned annoyance to push one over the edge.  I think jackhammers in the house counts for about 10 things.  Home is supposed to be your refuge. 

Sorry you to have the nipples debrided.  I actually had to have one debrided and re-excised a number of times and I'm really surprised at how well it ended up after it finally healed.  Don't give up hope on that front.

Take good care of yourself!

• Coll
    Coll Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2012
    Options

I had A nipple sparing double mastectomy with imediate reconstuction on Sept. 24. I had my drains removed 16 days later as well as my first fill. Everything looked great and then I woke up today, 5 days later to find my left side swollen and red. Saw my PS right away and she drained 27 ccs of normal looking fluid to send off for testing as well as put me on antibiotics. Was just wondering if there was anyone out there who has gone through the same thing and what the outcome was. I really don't want to have to take the TE's out and have to start again:(. Any feedback or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

• MrsCich
    edited October 2012
    Options

TinaT, is debrided having parts of the nipples removed? My right one will be cut (I'm assuming) like removing a slice of pizza and then seen shut. So I won't have any open wounds.

• tinat
    edited October 2012
    Options

MrsCich - The way I understand it, debridement usually means removing necrotic tissue by scraping it away or otherwise cleaning out the wound.  Excision usually means using a scalpel to cut away the necrotic tissue so there are fresh, clean edges of healthy tissue that can heal together.  Sometimes the wound is stitched closed to bring the open, healthy tissues in contact with each other to promote healing.  Sounds like you're having an excision.  So sorry you've had a rocky road :(

BTW, I like your new picture.  Is that your hubby wearing a pink wig?

• Beckers
    Beckers Member Posts: 979
    edited October 2012
    Options

Kelliedennis, I had swelling where my SN was removed and was told it was a seroma. That was after lumpectomy in April and it was still sore when I had BMX in Aug. Now it's completely normal. It was very bothersome. Hope your situation resolves faster. These arm pits are so sensitive. I was happy my other side was numb after SNB so I didn't feel that again!

Coll, I had red skin and swelling which resolved after 2 rounds of oral Augmentin. It was scary and I came very close to getting hospitalized for IV antibiotics. It was a very persistent infection did not see improvement for approx 5-7 days . Good luck.

• MrsCich
    edited October 2012
    Options

TinaT, yes that is Mr Wonderful in the pink wig, kissing my bald head. Lol. He's amazing to say the least. 😍😻

• tinat
    edited October 2012
    Options
    MrsCich - I'm so lucky to have my own Mr. Wonderful.  I could have done all this without him, but I wouldn't have wanted to :)  Hope all goes well today!
  • Coll
    Coll Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2012
    Options

Beckers,

Thank you for replying. It is nice to hear of someone where it was resolved. I am on keflex right now and am starting iv antibiotics tomorrow so hopefully this will resolve itself and I won't have to have my TE's taken out.

• MrsCich
    edited October 2012
    Options

I got the ok from my MO to have my surgery tomorrow. Yay! Who knew I would be excited to have parts of my nipple cut out? Lol

My WBC was much better and fell in the normal range.

• MrsCich
    edited October 2012
    Options

Not sure if you ladies have seen this before but I just found it on this site and thought it was so perfect, I had to share with others. I actually emailed this to a few people as well.

"Your relationships are about to change. All of them. Some will get stronger. They will probably not be with the people you would expect. The people you want to handle this well might not be able to for a variety of reasons. Some of the reasons will be selfish. Some of them will be entirely innocent and circumstantial. All of them will be forgivable because no one plans for cancer. Carrying bitterness or anger won't help your recovery. Fighting for anyone to stick with you won't cure you. Those who can, will.

You will be determined to have more energy than you do. You will convince yourself that you are thinking straight, are able to handle all of this and do not need anyone. You will run out fuel. Your body will change first and your mind will follow. You won't lose your mind, memories or sensibility. It will all come back. But, you will be different. You will never have the same sense of self. You should embrace this. Your old self was probably really great. Your transformed self will be even better. Give into what is happening and trust it.

You are going to feel fear. Even if you are normally stubborn, confident and seemingly invincible you will finally find yourself admitting that you are scared of something. Cancer is scary and incredibly confusing. The unknowing will eat at you worse than the disease itself. You'll need distractions. Music and sleep will probably be the ones you resort to most. Reading will become difficult. So will watching TV or movies, having conversations, writing and basically everything else. They call it "chemo brain" for a reason. You will feel normal eventually. Just a new kind of normal. When you feel afraid let yourself lean on those around you. Cry. Be vulnerable. You are vulnerable. There will be time for strength, but never admitting weakness will cause anxiety to mount and your condition to worsen. Let it all out. Yell if you need to. Sing when you feel up to it. Sob uncontrollably. Apologize for your mood swings. Treatments and prescriptions will often be the cause of them. The people that love you will understand.

The people that love you will be just as scared as you are. Probably more. They will be worrying even when they are smiling. They will assume you are in more pain than you are. They will be thinking about you dying and preparing for life without you. They will go through a process that you will never understand just like they will never understand the process you are going through. Let them process. Forgive them when they don't understand. Exercise patience when you can. Know that those that were built for this will be there when you get to the other side and you will all be able to laugh together again. You'll cry together too. Then you'll get to a place where you will just live in the world again together and that is when you know that you have beaten this.

The sooner you recognize that you are mortal, the sooner you can create the mentality for survival. There is a chance you might not make it. Just like there is a chance that you will. Don't look at statistics. You are unique and what is happening inside you is unique. Your fight is yours alone and there are too many factors to compare yourself to others that have had your condition. No one will want you to think about death, but you won't have a choice. You will think about it from the moment you are given your diagnosis. Come to terms with it. Calmly accept it. Then, shift every thought you have into believing that you won't die. You are going to beat this. Your mental focus on that fact will be more powerful than any treatment you receive.

Your doctors and nurses will become your source of comfort. You will feel safe with them. If you do not feel safe with them you need to change your care provider immediately. There is no time to waste. This shouldn't be a game played on anyone's terms but yours. When you find the right caretakers you will know immediately. Do not let insurance, money or red tape prevent you from getting the treatment you deserve. This is your only shot. There is always a way. Find those hands that you trust your life in and willingly give it to them. They will quickly bring you a sense of calm. They will spend time answering your questions. There will be no stupid questions to them. They won't do anything besides make you feel like you are the most important life that exists. They will never make you feel like they don't have things in control. They will be honest and accessible at all times. They might even become your friends. You might celebrate with them over drinks months or years after they have cured you. They deserve your gratitude, respect and appreciation daily. If you get upset at them during treatment know that they'll forgive you. They get that you're going through something they can't imagine- but they understand better than anyone. They see it every day and they choose to be there because they want to make the worst experience of your life more tolerable.

You will need to find balance after treatment. Start by seeking balance during treatment. Eat well. Sleep well. Listen to your body. Explore meditation. Experiment with new forms of exercise that aren't so demanding. Embrace massage and other body therapies. Go to therapy. A therapist will be able to guide you through your journey in ways you could never fathom. Do not be too proud to speak to someone. You cannot afford to store up the intensity of the emotion that comes with fighting a life-threatening illness. Let it out for yourself. You will begin to hear your voice changing. That voice is who you are becoming in the face of mortality. Listen to that voice. It will be the purest, most authentic version of you that you have ever known. Bring that person into the world -- strengths and vulnerabilities and everything between. Be that person forever.

You will inspire others. It will feel weird. People you haven't spoken to since grade school will be in touch. Ex-girlfriends, former colleagues... even people you felt never wanted to talk to you again. The influx of interest in your seemingly fading life will be greater than any living moment you have ever experienced. That support is what will shift a fading life into a surviving one. Be grateful for every message. Be appreciative of each gift and each visit. There will be moments where all of this attention will make you feel lonelier than you have ever felt in your life. In a hospital room full of people with messages stuffing your inbox, voicemail and mailbox you will find yourself feeling completely alone. This is when you will realize that you could afford to have a stronger relationship with yourself. That only you walk this earth with 100% investment in you. Make the investment and use this as an opportunity to reexamine your self-worth. Love yourself more than ever and recognize how much love there is for you in the world. Then start sharing that love. You will come to see that even when you are the neediest person you know you can still be giving. Giving will make you feel better than taking.

When you get to the other side you won't believe it. They will tell you the disease is gone. Everyone you know will rejoice and return back to their lives. You'll constantly wonder if it is coming back. Slowly this feeling will fade, but cancer will always be a part of you. It will define how you see the world moving forward. You're going to feel like the future is a funny thing to think about because the present is going to suddenly seem incredibly important. Keep moving. You'll be more productive. You'll understand who truly loves you because they will still be there. You'll want to meet new people that connect to the newly evolved version of your old self. You'll want to let go of those that don't "get" who you are now. You'll feel a little guilty doing it. Then, you'll move on. You don't have time to waste. The greatest gift you've been given is that you now understand that and you're going to make the most of every second. You're going to be the most passionate person you know going forward. Translate that passion to a greater purpose. Be fearless again.

I was diagnosed with leukemia at the age of 27. Now 28, I have been told I have no trace of the disease in my body.

Jeff Tomczek is a freelance writer and the founder of C2Bseen, offering consulting services to niche brands and entrepreneurs.

Follow Jeff Tomczek on Twitter: www.twitter.com/C2Bseen"

• tinat
    edited October 2012
    Options
    MrsCich - Thanks for sharing.  I've read bits and pieces of this, but hadn't seen the whole thing.  Every paragraph (except "the other side" references since I'm not there yet) rings true.
  • gonegirl
    gonegirl Member Posts: 1,022
    edited October 2012
    Options

MrsCich, this is perfect. I think what he means by the other side is the other side and into wellness and living again. :-)

• MrsCich
    edited October 2012
    Options

That's how I read it too, Gritgirl. I thought it was perfectly written and put my thoughts, emotions and fear into words I can't fathom due to the chemo induced stupor I'm currently in.

• tinat
    edited October 2012
    Options

To me "the other side" means when surgery, ultrasounds and MRIs, and side effects from treatments are in the rear view mirror.  At this point I feel out of danger, but I'm not THERE quite yet.  But.....getting closer all the time! 

• KellieDenise66
    edited October 2012
    Options

Beckers, thanks for sharing all that info about your nodes. Knowing what to expect is hugely helpful!

Mrs Cich- thanks for taking the time to post that!!!!

BTW- I totally thought of you last night. About 11 pm, just five minutes after my head hit the pillow a city vehicle set up shop, and began jack hammering up the street 2 houses down. I laughed out loud, "poor Mrs Cich!" I can't imagine how you're coping! Good luck with your surgery tomorrow.

• MrsCich
    edited October 2012
    Options

KellieDenise, that made me laugh. As I sit here watching two grown men play in a 14 ft long, 3 ft deep, 2 ft wide gaping hole in my kitchen floor. Woe is me!!! I only heard the jackhammer once today. I hid out in my room after my appt. lol

• SimplyAudrey
    SimplyAudrey Member Posts: 92
    edited October 2012
    Options

Just had nipple debridement yesterday.....and lost most of my right one.  That was the breast full of the fun pathology that got me here in the first place.  I knew it was a risk.  I took the chance.

The bright side is my PS is already talking nipple reconstruction since the left is pretty much in tact.

I am amazing myself with how I'm taking all of this....... I'm not upset...whatever will be, will, or whatI need to do, I will.  I'm on the other side.  Life is good.

• MrsCich
    edited October 2012
    Options

SimplyAudrey, since you don't have feeling in your breast and nipple, did you have pain after your excision? I have surgery today to remove part of my right nipple too.

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    edited October 2012
    Options

fearless I had lumpectomy 14 years prior to BC and they cut around the areola.  then had lumpectomy in same breast for BC and had radiation.  Incision was in a different location on breast.  I then had NSBMX and my PS was able to save my nipples.  Even with the radiation damage that I had he felt it was worth the chance to try to save it.  He used the same incision around the areola and out instead of giving me more incisions on that breast.  I am so glad he took the chance.  I had had other opinions and he was the only one willing to try to save it.

• MrsCich
    edited October 2012
    Options

Thank you all for your well wishes. I started my day out on a bad note. I couldn't drink or eat of course and I so wanted/needed some coffee. Then I couldn't tie my scarf right and it was aggravating the shit out of me. Regardless, I had my surgery and was out in time to make it to the hospital for the PICC line placement.

Surgery was quick and I haven't looked at the nip that was worked on or the area on the other breast (at the bottom along the original incision line) that was open and raw. My husband has and said my nipple is now oblong rather than round and the other area which was about the size of a quarter is now a line of stitches about 3 inches long. Nip doesn't hurt but the other area is sore, burns and itches.

PICC line was put in and is uneventful enough to not write about.

Much love to you all. Hoping you all minimal SEs.

• powermom
    powermom Member Posts: 66
    edited October 2012
    Options

I think the PS pointed to the area kind of up from the inframammary fold, like a line starting at the outside of the fold and going up toward my armpit.  I don't think it will very close to the lymph nodes.  Not completely on the side, but not completely under the breast either.  Oh well, I guess I will find out very soon.

• fearlessfoot
    fearlessfoot Member Posts: 88
    edited October 2012
    Options

Beckers:  About SNB underarm sensations... mine were continually changing over the six months since April to now, from total numbness to painful feelings to weird icy cold sensation to little zapping feelings.  Always very sensitive and painful if pinched or poked or bumped into or grabbed (which everyone seemed to do!).  But now almost completely normal!  See also this thread:  Forum: Just Diagnosed  →  Topic: After Sentinel node biopsy and lumpectomy.

F.Y.I. my incisions for BMX to immediate implant were called the keyhole and anchor because I was going from large, pendulant breasts to small, so they had to move up the nipple areola complex NAC (the keyhole cut) and cut off excess skin and restitch together (thus anchor shape incision along inframammary fold and incision up from center to NAC).  This is riskybusiness in terms of the healing and potential necrosis, which is why my PS insisted on totally sub-muscular placement (pectoralis, serrata anterior, and fascia of the abdomino rectus) and NOT using Alloderm or synthetic matrices to support the implant in a type of bra-like sling.  His opinion is the vasculature of the muscles can deliver the antibiotics and blood and lymphatic fluids more efficiently, thus allowing for quicker healing.  He did not want to use the Alloderm since he feels it is: 1) a second foreign body besides the implant and 2) the blood delivery network is not immediate, it takes a while for the blood vessels to grow through it.  It worked well for me overall -- except for the one reconstructed nipple, which had to be debrided (if that is the correct term), yet it healed over flat.  So I have to decide whether to try another fabricated nipple.  I do want a bit of symmetry if possible.  And I have some wrinkly redundant skin along the anchor scar to tidy up.  PS said this can be done under local anesthesia.    

Best of luck to everyone!  Mermaid waves to you all!

• Beckers
    Beckers Member Posts: 979
    edited October 2012
    Options

Thank you for responding fearless. Also got your PM. That's encouraging news. I'm having stage II in Dec. I also have a flat nipple. It was my DCIS side...maybe he scrapped the back of it a little too good. I also have a dent under nipple area on that side too. He is planning to move some tissue in the breast and do fat grafting. I have to pay for that Brava contraption though which is $400+ I believe. I could say no but end of that breast looks flat and I can tell when I walk by mirror.

• fearlessfoot
    fearlessfoot Member Posts: 88
    edited October 2012
    Options

Soyapepper:  my doctor did NOT tell me that these implants would stay this firm, or maybe i just didn't interpret his meaning of "they'll get softer" correctly. I guess they ARE softer compared to how they were when first installed but now they are like a -- orange or a rubber ball, oh, dear, I really can't compare them to fruit or sports balls, i don't know how to describe them, they just are not squishy and have not dropped and fluffed. but someone on these boards (can't remember which) replied to me that the Mentor silicon gel types do not "drop and fluff"  -- that those may be the saline kind that do that. 

• MrsCich
    edited October 2012
    Options

Hello ladies. So far my nipple excision and wound closure on the other breast is going well. PICC line isnt as sore at the moment.

Today is my second infusion of TC. Oh boy! 😔 First one was nothing and even the side effects weren't anything horrible. No nausea and my appetite most definitely didn't change. I lost taste for a week or so, no saliva for that week either. Horrible yeast infection and constipation those first few days which I'm hoping to fix before it can get too bad.

I had chemo on a Friday and stopped taking Zofran on Sunday morning. Never needed it after. Hope that's how this one goes.

Much love to all and hoping you all have minimal SEs.

• KellieDenise66
    edited October 2012
    Options

Hi Girls, thanks for sharing all your detailed info on struggling nipples, scars, and implants! I'm starting to go a little bananas with all the unknowns in this whole reconstruction journey. I see my PS next week, and want to have an organized list of all my questions. Last visit was entirely too brief, and I walked away confused, and uneasy. It didn't help that the night prior had been a very rough one, so I was exhausted, and drugged up.

Are any of you gals on the picture forum? My member name over there is Weevil, and Pics are under "nsbmx large breasts." I'd love to get your opinion on this whole nipple thing. My right nipple is struggling from day one. A deep black scab is over an indented area on the areola, and nipple looks pretty flat. I've heard the scab eventually falls off but I'm having trouble imagining that. It seems so deep. My BS wants me to continue on antibiotics since we don't know what's going on under that scab.

The other thing is the TE's. My PS said he may not even fill me?! He said if I want to be a full C cup he thinks he can just drop in an implant, that there is enough skin to support that. Remember my TE's are over my pecs. I had a lift/nsm so I have a dbl layer of skin from my nipple down. The whole thing just seems crazy next to everyone else's process. My DH is starting to lose patience with me, and he's a pretty mellow supportive guy. He keeps reminding me that this PS has a method to his madness, and wants me to chill out, and have faith. I so wish I could. Im glad this PS is confident. Maybe I need him to break it all down to me like a five year old. : ( waaaaaahhh!

Thanks for letting me vent!

• Tina13
    Tina13 Member Posts: 14
    edited October 2012
    Options

Hi everybody!  

So I thought I would post a quick update on my progress - so after I did my BMx on October 3 with immediate tissue expanders placements, I got my first fill at the time on placement, and my second last week! I'm still not 100% and feeling weak, but relieved that at least this part of my "fun" journey is over! I will also be starting a picture forum and posting a link here.

@Kellie  - my nipples are also black and flat, but my PS said as well that the black layer will peel off, but they will remail flat, and for that he can later do some fat injections, which I'm sure yours can do too! I will look you up on the picture forum (my name is the same - Tina13) and I will be starting my own soon as well, so you can take a look and compare =)

Oh and my bf is losing his patience too and he is also the most mellow guy you can ever imagine lol Oh men - just can't handle us ... :-/

Thank you all again so very much for all the tremendous help and support!!! XOXO

• KellieDenise66
    edited October 2012
    Options

Hey Tina, glad you're doing well. Try not to over do it though. I was going strong, and then a brick wall. This healing thing is definitely a process. Thanks for sharing your experience. My right nipple was struggling from day one, it's a pretty deep scab, but I'm hoping it's superficial. My PS mentioned tattooing for pigment loss down the road. hadn't thought about fat grafting. I just want to heal, and I know that's not something that can be rushed. Keep us posted on how you're doing. It's so nice to see ya back, and yes it's wonderful that you're on the other side of this very big operation!!!!!