Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Nipple Sparing Mastectomy with immediate reconstruction

Options

Comments

• cindydeemiller
    cindydeemiller Member Posts: 7
    edited January 2010
    Options

Best bra yet for post surgery is called the sleeping bra - Sleeping Bra. JCPenney sold them 3 years ago. I don't know if they still do. But if not you can order on-line. They are the best!!!

Also ladies, Another tip for getting a good night sleep for anyone:
    I bought small pillows (Walgreen's sold the best ones - they are called travel pillows). Anyway, I sleep on my side, and I place one pillow on each side of my body. It is amazing how much relief that provides. Immediately after my recent surgery, I was sleeping on my back, and I put a pillow underneath each armpit (tucked in under my side) and I put a soft pillow under my knees. Strategically placed pillows are the best!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Barelythere-Womens-Microfiber-Crop-103/dp/B0012QM8IS/ref=pd_sbs_a_4#productPromotions
    Barelythere Women's Microfiber Crop Top #103
    Other products by Barely There
    4.5 out of 5 stars See all reviews (48 customer reviews)
  • TNLady
    TNLady Member Posts: 219
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Cindy,  Welcome!  I would call your PS before applying the special pads you mentioned.  The pads sound like they would be safe, but just for safety sake,  I would get your doctor's opinion. I had my nipple do the same thing.  I used Neosporin and would put a sterile pad over it to keep it clean.  Let us know what your doctor says, my nipple has started to turn a little red again, so maybe it is something I could try.  How do you feel two weeks out from surgery?  We are glad you joined us! 
  • NewBride
    NewBride Member Posts: 126
    edited February 2010
    Options

Hi.  It's the day 11 post-op report. Yellow exudate continues along with a small amount of bleeding.  My big concern now is that even though, by and large, the nipple and areola area seem to be improving  I do have an area on the nipple itself that appears kind of pale and even a little yellowish.  Did any one here experience that?

Other than that all continues well with the healing process and my 1Step reconstruction.  No stretch marks that I can discern. My implant is only 325ml so that may make a difference.

Re "Gummis":  I believe they are also known as Mentor 410.  One of the ladies on the 1Step thread got them and hated them.  Way too firm.  Not natural feeling at all.  Choose carefully.  I said no to Gummis for the same reason.

PB22, I wish I had PET.   It was never even mentioned.  OC says "Can't do it now.  PET shows areas of inflammation and of course the area that we would be most interested in is still inflamed from MX."  Tumor board meets Tues.  Maybe there will be different opinions after that.  I intend to ask again for PET when I have my next OC appt in about three weeks.  A lady on the 1step thread had full body PET at 4 weeks after MX for a Phyllodes tumor and got an "all clear".    I know PET is a standard follow up screening for alot of us.  I guess we'll see.  Thanks for your concern.  It's nice to have somebody looking out for me. 

• TNLady
    edited February 2010
    Options

NewBride,  Thank you for the input on the Gummies.  I had a spot that sounds similar to what you have.  I kept the ointment on it with the sterile pads until it healed.  That was the spot the PS said would probably scar.  My whole nipple area, on the side I had the problem, is paler than my other nipple.  I'm not sure why.  Mine healed, but is turning a darker pink in spots. I don't know if that is scar tissue or if it's getting infected.  It is smooth to the touch, so I'm hoping it is just part of the healing process.  Just make sure after washing with soap to rinse the area well with fresh water.  It sounds like the PET would be a good thing to have done, for peace of mind.  Let us know what you hear back tomorrow from the board, we will keep you in our thoughts and prayers. 

• NewBride
    edited February 2010
    Options

TNLady,  Thanks for the info.  I continue to hold out hope for my nipple but PS sees eschar happening in the area of the incision (bottom half of the areola).  We're going to see if it will heal from the edges in, but if not then it has to go.  He says I must have patience.  I said,"No problem.  Take all the time you need."  We don't have to do anything for a little while so maybe it will be OK.  I see PS again on Fri. so at least I will probably lose this drain.  I'll keep you updated.  Thank you for keeping me in your thoughts and prayers. It sure looks like I can use them right now.

• cindydeemiller
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Hi NewBride wrote:my 1Step reconstruction with two stretch markst is only 325ml, could be my age and the elasticity of my skin at 53 years old.

Re "Gummis": they are also known as Mentor 410.  How could you say no to Gummis? They are out of clinical trials in the US as of Feb. 2009. They aren't available in the US until the FDA approves them, and no one is sure when that will happen. 

• NewBride
    edited February 2010
    Options

cindeemillerRe stretch marks. I guess we're all different.  I never got stretch marks with pregnancy either.  If you Google gummy bear implants you will find a number of surgeons offering them.  Of course most of them are interested in augmentation not reconstruction.  For augmentation they may be fine. 

• TNLady
    edited February 2010
    Options

New Bride,  Keep positive!

7 Week Post-Op report:  My energy level is still not up to par, but I'm doing better with each day.  Walking on the treadmill for 30 minutes most evenings.  BC boob is higher than the other, don't know if that has anything to do with having lymph nodes removed or not, will ask PS next visit.  BC boob is still firmer than the other, still massaging to try to help soften it.  Still not exercising upper body, but I'm able to reach top cabinet now without the tightness.  All-in-all feeling much better.

I want to send everyone well wishes and happy healing.  Smile

• PS73
    PS73 Member Posts: 171
    edited February 2010
    Options

Hi guys, my hiatus is somewhat over.  I have been really depressed over this surgery - didn't think it would last this long.  TNLady, glad to hear that you are working out and that you are regaining some energy, I really cant wait to start running .  New Bride, sorry to hear about all of the stuff you are going thru - would like to hear more about you - where do you live?

Im almost four weeks out and feeling sluggish.  I am so tired all the time. ..and somehow got more wrinkles out of the deal?!  Does anybody have rib pain?  I feel like my ribs are stretched and sore to the touch like a bruise.  I still can't open doors very well and can't stretch my arms to the cabinets (they really are made too tall here in the US).  My left boob is bigger and wider than the right one and so far I have 350 and 380 ccs, does anybody know what size this is post exchange?  I really don't want any more fills - they really hurt and Im perfectly ok being a small size - just not sure how small the above is. I have an apt in a week with my surgeon to discuss.

I was afraid of stretch marks so Ive been using a concoction - olive oil with lavender and frankincense - smells wonderful. I rub it on my skin - esp post surgery when everything was so tight and have been ok not getting stretch marks..  Oh, btw - even tho I was duly warned, I still got a nasty blister from the heating pad being too hot and being numb to it - it hasn't healed yet - so ugly.

I hope this note finds you all healing well. xo

• TNLady
    edited February 2010
    Options
    PS,  It is wonderful to hear from you again.  Hang in there, your energy level will come back, it just takes time.  I still have a hard time reaching the top cabinet, but I am only 5"3', so it was hard before surgery.  I never had any rib pain, but I have read on other threads where women have had that, so I don't think that is unusual.  I would ask your doctor about it, just to be sure.  As far as the boob size, I would check with someone on the exchange city site, there is a lady there that is very knowledgeable.  If you want I can PM her and ask her for you, just let me know.  Maybe you could put the recipe to your stretch mark cream on here, it sounds like it worked well for you.  I bet it would be cheaper too.  Sorry to hear that you got burned by the heating pad, I hope that heals quickly for you.  When you mentioned wrinkles, are you talking about below or beside your nipple area?  I started out with a bunch right under and around my nipple area   Over time the wrinkles have smoothed out some, as my implants have dropped, but I still have a few.  I'm hate to hear that you are feeling so depressed.  I think that is part of the process, I still get that way at times.  I will have a melt down, every now and then, and ball my eyes out.  I am still taking anxiety medicine and that seems to help some, but I want to wean myself off of it soon.  Anytime you need to talk we are here for you.  I'm glad to see you back!
  • NewBride
    edited February 2010
    Options
    PS73,  Sorry you're still bummed.  I try to get outside and walk for a couple of miles each day.  It's good for me and the stuff I see outside of my own four walls takes my mind off of all of this junk.  I have to tell myself that I've had enough cancer for now and I'm going to do something else for awhile.  Seems to help.  Blatant escapism into a good book is helpful too.  My SIL is a huge Dan Brown fan so she got me all of his books for Christmas.  I do still bawl my eyes out from time to time too.  Gotta have some release.  I'm glad you're back as you seem to be the only one on this thread that has gone thru chemo.  It looks like that may be the next thing for me.  Oh, in answer to your question, I live in CA in the mountains just outside of Yosemite National Park.  I have been to your area and spent time in Chestnut Hill also on the shore in Margate.  It has been years tho.
  • PB22
    PB22 Member Posts: 176
    edited February 2010
    Options

PS73 welcome back. I was sluggish at 4 weeks, having much more energy at 8 weeks out.  However will have a few good days then get whiped out the next day.I had rib pain at your stage of healing.  I still have some chest pain that feels like possibly scar tissue pulling on my skin at the chest area as it feels better with massage.  Feel like my tummy area is getting squishy.

New Bride, any news from tumor board?

TN, I have my bc boob slightly higher and firmer than the other boob like you. Still thinking my implants should be a size bigger for more fullness. God, hate to think of more surgery or tweaks. I am not thinking too far ahead as it depresses me to not be able to put this all behind me with possibility of more surgery to make me 100% pleased.  Although am so happy with the overall nipple sparing procedure.  Am pleased my bs left me with enough skin to hopefully accommodate a larger implant if thats what I go with.  Can't stand the thought of anymore pain, incisions and downtime.

Post Op Week 8     Going to PS on Fri for 8 week follow up.  Have one dimple on the non BC side close to the scar under the nipple,  also have an indentation  close to the chest wall at biopsy site where alot of scraping was done.  I see it more now that the swelling has subsided.  Have full range of motion with the PT. I want to ask now for a script to continue PT for strength training.

Back at the gym, alot of the people I had worked out with were off as well even getting implants themselves, LOL, and I look pretty much the same so no ones really noticed.  I have gotten comments to go faster on the stair escalator from a passer byer and I think to myself "if only you knew" how I was in bed for over a month.Oh well.

• NewBride
    edited February 2010
    Options

PB22,  It may be chemo for me.  I don't know all of the details but the gist of it was that 11 Doctors concur that it is better to overtreat than undertreat.  I can't help feeling like I'm hunting a hummingbird with a howitzer.  I mean what if we miss and end up destroying a bunch of other stuff.  Oncotype DX is not back yet so that may shed a little more light on the subject.  I don't know if I can even have chemo until this incision heals.  I guess the good news is no surgery to go back in for nodes.  PS told me not to resume vitamins and supplements in case of more surgery but it doesn't look like that is going to happen so I've started back up on multi-vite, gingko biloba, ginseng, zinc and even aspirin in an attempt to stimulate blood flow in the area of my nipple.  I think it may be working .  Nipple looks a little happier today.  Have appt to look into hyperbaric treatment on Fri. right before PS appt.  We'll see how it all goes.  Please continue to pray for me as this is starting to look a little scarier than I ever thought it would be.  Thanks.  I'm glad your ROM is better.  Just ignore the gym nazis.  You're doing great.  And if you do want revision surgery it's an outpatient thing and not nearly as debilitating/painful as MX.  You'll be fine and at least you don't have to make any quick decisions about it.  You can take your time about it.   My PS is looking at my belly as a donor site for fat injections to achieve more fullnes if necessary.

I'll keep everyone posted.  The hyperbaric stuff may turn out to be interesting info for nipple sparers.

• PS73
    edited February 2010
    Options

Thanks for the nice comments girls.   PB - glad to hear you have full range, I was really concerned about that, did you have alloderm graft?  I have some concerns about lifting things over my head at an angle - like 20ish pounds with one hand, I was told that part of that muscle may never heal properly- like doing push ups -some ppl can never do them again post op.  It is so awesome to hear that many of you are working out.  ..and I have also heard that the exchange is not as bad.  Also, thanks for the pep talk - I am just tired of being sick - the winter is making it worse.  Ill be ok though, this is tough but Im a pretty tough bird. 

NB - What is hyperbaric?  Good luck with the oncotype - there are some alternatives but of course they are not approved by FDA as cancer treatments.  There is a long line of disbelievers out there but they make sense to me, which is very easy for me to say since I did chemo and feel that security blanket.  I completely understand where you are coming from.  The scariest part of chemo for me was before doing it.  I am about to start the alts so techincally ill have done both.   Also, I have a friend who has done only alternative if you would like to ask her questions. But note that if you do chemo, its not as bad as you think.  ..also depending on the chemo rec, you may not lose your hair.  Each person is different but since you are young, Im sure your onc wants you to do it.  Im not familiar with that type of cancer and what your suggested chemo would be - did they say? I did ACTH- had some bad days but I did dose dense which required the white blood cell booster shots, which were the worse part for me.  I also re-did my kitchen while going thru chemo to give you an idea of the good days :)  

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 7,840
    edited February 2010
    Options

Hi, everyone.  I noticed this thread among the Most Active just now.  Hello to Ally and NewBride, friends from the One-Step with Alloderm thread.  I had Nipple Sparing BMX/1step w/Alloderm 6 mos. ago.  I'm much older than the rest of you.  I'll be 67 in March.  My encouraging news is that at 6 mos. out, I feel great except for SEs from taking Arimidex, a med that blocks all estrogen production.  My main SEs are mild hot flashes and joint aches and pains.  Exercise helps the achiness, so I try to keep active.

I had to laugh when someone on this thread joked that she never thought she'd be so focused on boobs!  At one point in my recovery I started to wonder if my life would ever get back to "normal" when boobs were inconsequential except for occasional bra shopping or when apptments for a mammogram rolled around.  It does happen that you begin a "new normal" and your thoughts are centered on the activities in your life.

I'm an avid golfer.  One of my main concerns after hoping to stay alive was "will I be able to play golf after this ordeal?"  My PS promised me I should be back to golf after 8 wks.  That was pushed to 10 wks when I had to have revision surgery to trim necrotic skin off my left incision on the healthy breast.  Ironically, the breast with the cancer healed better. 

I'm not a workout fanatic but I walk 3 mi. on the average of 4 or 5 times a week.  Dh and I have a little home gym with equipment and I do some weights and sometimes ride the recumbent bike when the weather is bad.  I'm tending to avoid exerises that would develop the pecs.  My PS warned me against the presses.  He said he'd seen women end up with their implants under their arms. 

Both nipples look perfectly normal now but the placement is slightly askew because my right implant is a little higher than the left.  The PS is bound and determined to get me back into surgery to achieve better symmetry.  He also wants to replace the implants with larger ones.  I don't know whether I'll go along with him or not. 

NewBride, I'm praying that you receive a low oncotype number and can avoid chemo, as I did, and I was also grade 3.  Waiting to learn my number was a most anxious period.  I started a thread asking for women with grade 3 to check in and report their oncotype number.  It was so heart-warming to get all the responses and supportive words.

I wish all of us good health and happy lives. 

• NewBride
    edited February 2010
    Options

Hi Carole,  TNLady started this thread and is also an "alumnus" of the 1Step thread.  The ladies here are wonderful too.  I know your participation here will be more than welcome.  Thank you for the prayers.  It sure looks like I can use them.  I would like to read your Grade 3 thread.  In which forum will I find it?

• PB22
    edited February 2010
    Options

Hi Carole,  thanks for your insight. It was me who thought all I did was think about boobs.  For some of the others, its nipples. I just started the arimidex.

PS73,  At PT today, the therapist told me my range of motion is perfect and can't do better.  I did not have alloderm but the competetor, surgimend mesh.  Sounds like you need a break from that cold weather up there, only so much you can do when its that cold out.

Newbride,  sounds like they are airing onthe side of caution with the chemo recommendation, but the oncotype will tell.  Could take several weeks to get back.  You have time as you are healing.  I didn't think you would need to go back for any nodes as its just a diagnostic indicator.  A person can be node neg and get a recurrence or have it in their nodes and never get a recurrance. Just another indicator.  My grade was low and my oncotype score was 15, higher than Caroles, so I'm thinking positive that your score will be low.  When my onc told me that I would not need chemo, she asked my husband if that was all right with him.  My onc. went on to explain that 7 years ago they would give chemo to a young girl who has her life ahead of her , called "the cute factor" and if someone say 60 and frumpy was in they would say oh, you don't need chemo.  So use your gut instinct if its right for you as there could be side effect later down the road from it.

My onc put me on some supplements as well, fish oils, ca, resterovol, baby aspirin, Vit D, and a muiltivit with selenium and lycopeine. 

Tomorrow is the PS.  Seems like we all count down the days to our next PS appt. 

• fairportlady55
    fairportlady55 Member Posts: 152
    edited February 2010
    Options

Hi to everyone....I've been off line a couple of days. I am wondering how many cc's of saline you get on the average with each fill? I have had 3 fills so far, once a week, and I dont seem able to tolerate more than 40 cc in each. My PS says he has patients who get 80 - 100 and seems surprised that I tolerate such a small amount. I know my pecs are very strong because I was a regular exercise person, and that is probably why, but if its going to take months to get up to where they can schedule the exchange, maybe I need to try to take more? The evening of the day of a fill is bad, lots of spasms, little sleep, usually the following day is hard too. Ugh, this is so frustrating and uncomfortable, and a date for the exchange seems far far away! Thanks for being there and such a support. Having chemo on top of all this I can only imagine, and for all of you who are, my good thoughts and prayers are with you.

• cindydeemiller
    edited February 2010
    Options

http://www.ucsfbreastcarecenter.org/reconst_latex_1week.html

the website above gives pre and post op exercises for lattisimuss dorsi reconstruction. However, I have had both the latissimuss and the nipple sparing and the exercises are good for both.

Add these additional exercises:

SELF-MASSAGE:

All tissue that has been injured goes through stages of healing. As the healing process continues, it is not unusual for the tissues to get tight and inflexible. Surgical scars, no matter where, can be a problem. They tend to bind to the layers of soft tissue under them. However, you can decrease this binding and mobilize the scar(s) by simply moving the tissue and massaging the area will help it return to normal.

You can begin self-massage when your dressing is off and your incisions are without scabs. If one area is healing slowly, you can still massage other parts of the scar or the rest of the breast. Be very gentle over the scar since it is more fragile than other skin. Begin by lying on your back and picturing your breast area as a face of a clock. Use a hand cream so that you fingers slide over the skin. Touch your breast and see how the tissues move. When you find an area that feels not as mobile, make a mental note of what clock number. Start the massage with gentle stroking and circles. Go deeper into the tissue as tolerated. DO NOT CAUSE PAIN. The other surgical scars also need massage. Start slowly and then go deeper. Stroke in the direction of the scar and then across. Eventually you will be able to lift and roll the scar between you fingers. Keep adding more lotion as needed. Massage for one song, three times a day. You can spend the whole song on one area, but make sure all problem areas are massaged at least once a day.

• TNLady
    edited February 2010
    Options

PB,  I agree with NewBride, ignore those gym Nazis and keep up the good work!  You are getting me motivated!

NewBride,  I am an avid reader too.  Reading is my escape also, especially during the winter months.  I have read Angels and Demons (loved it), and I have The Symbol and The Davinci Code, but I have not read them yet. I have been reading Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series.  The situations the main character gets herself into makes me laugh out loud.  You are so lucky to live near Yosemite, I bet you have lots of beautiful places to walk and hike.  I don't live far from the Smoky Mountains National Park, so we go and hike occasionally.   I wish you the best of luck with your test results tomorrow.  I think people will be interested in hearing how the hyperbaric chamber works also, so do keep us posted.

Carole,  Welcome!  We look forward to any  knowledge and advice you can share with us!  So glad to have you!

PS, again we are glad to have you back!  Maybe you should rent a few comedies this weekend to cheer you up.  We signed up for Netflix before my surgery so I would have something to look at during recovery.  I love it!  It has all kinds of movies, especially the old ones you don't see much anymore.  I watched Tootsie the first week and laughed so much it hurt.

Best wishes to all!Laughing

• TNLady
    edited February 2010
    Options

Cindy,  Thank you for posting the exercise sites, those will be very helpful to us!  How are you feeling?

FairportLady,  nice to see you back!  Sorry you are having to deal with the pain.  One of the other ladies will have to answer your questions about the fills, I did not have TE's, so I am unable to answer that question.  It sucks to have to go through any part of this, but I agree that it's nice to have people to talk to about it and a place to express our feelings.  We also have the added bonus of helping others by sharing our experiences.  Keep positive and your exchange will be here before you know it.

• PS73
    edited February 2010
    Options

Hi TN - thanks for the advice - tootsie is a good one -Ill put it on my netflix!  Books sound good too - all Ive been reading are cancer books!  I have the piano teacher, has anybody read that?  It was given to me but I haven't picked it up yet. 

PB - word!  I am so ready for the sun! ..congrats on the full range of motion.  How many weeks out are you again? 

FL - I had a fill the other day and have had three so far - the most my PS gives me, I think is 50cc's.  He is all about slow progression.

Question about the massaging, can you do that with TEs or is it only post exchange?

*I spoke to my PS about the gummies/410s and he said he worked with them a lot at sloan and they are still not available here in the US for everyone.  Even if they were, he told me that they are not circular and if the circulars do eventually become available, he would recommend that shape vs the current shape.  Apparently, if  the current shape available spins at the pocket site, then you might find them to be troublesome.  With that said, he said its all preference - he finds that because the material is tacky on the outside they tend to stay where they are.  He gave me the example of sunbathing on my stomach, and if I were to stand up, they would remain up high.  He said that the benefit for them though is that they look nice and full.

• fairportlady55
    edited February 2010
    Options

Hi PS  thanks for sharing that! I was beginning to think my progresion was unusually slow or my pain tolerence low (which I do not think it is!) other girls have advised slow and steady too, so I think I need to chill and get used to the idea that this isnt something that is going to be a quick fix.

TN thanks for the encouraging words too:)    By the way, I have read The Lost Symbol....wow it was great! Now THAT is a book that will get your mind off of all this stuff, but be prepared to lose a little sleep: the end of every chapter is a cliff-hanger so its pretty hard to stop reading once you start! 

• PB22
    edited February 2010
    Options

Fairportlady:  How many weeks post op are you now?

Post op week 8:  graduated from PT for range of motion.  Still sore in chest area.  No meds needed but the skin is sore. Some numbness on right side of both breasts.  Ca side(rt) is tighter and hasn't dropped as far as left. Follow up yesterday with PS.  He said all the healing will be done at 6 months but am considered healed now if I wanted to change out implants to a fuller size for the upper pole fullness and width, provides only 1cm more projection so mainly its to fill up where the scraping was done at the 1:00 quandrant.  I am going to wait and decide at 6 months as it will put me in June when school is out. Said downtime only a long weekend.  I am working so hard on the massages and scar creams I hate to think about another incision although he said it would be small and there is no cutting of any nerves.  My husband asked if this will go on and on.My implants are mentor cohesive gel 375cc, PS suggests 500cc. I am 5ft 5 and wt fluctuates sometimes as high as 128.  Bra band measures 29 in, which put me at around a 34, currently a B,  on initial placement I wanted what I was a large C with a lift placing me at a C.  I am very happy with my size with bra on, its perfect, pwerky, healthy and youthful, but with bra off and no clothes I think I would still look too flat in a bathing suit top when lying down.  Does that make sense??    Sounds like a big jump but apparently the differences are in small measurment.

PS gave go ahead to lift weights , even bench press.  I am still hesitate and look at the floor and wonder even if I could hold a plank.    The pain is so fresh in my mind, I'm not in a hurry.

TN:  Did you write you were a 500cc implant? Are you happy and what is your frame, any comments on the upper fullness? What is your look if you were to sunbath on your back?

A minor inconvenience, but non the less an inconvenience, the mentor ID card for medical device I went home from the hospital with was only partially filled out. The cc was recorded on each card but no catologue number or serial number.  I brought the blank cards to the PS and he didn't have it in his office record or on his OR report which surprised me.  We are waiting for the hospital OR report to be faxed.  Its frustrating because how many hands did these cards pass through to make it to my tray table and no one looked at them.(even us).  I did expect the PS to have the info.  Lets see how long it takes for me to get the info and how many phone calls it will take.

• NewBride
    edited February 2010
    Options

16 days post-op.Oh yeah!  I got my drain out! YAY!  I even did my no drain dance in the PS office.  Even better, PS thinks the nipple is going to be OK.  It will take some time (about 6 weeks) but it looks like it's healing.  This is particularly good as I was not too impressed with the hyperbaric chamber people.  If the nipple starts to fail I may change my mind but right now I'm declining hyperbaric treatment.  I know of cases where it has helped but I just didn't think the chiropactor in charge of this place was very professional.  Didn't even look at the wound he would be trying to heal nor any of my records.  Just interested in signing me up for 20 sessions and cold laser treatment to boot.  I've got alot of other thingts I'd rather spend $3500 on.

• fairportlady55
    edited February 2010
    Options

Hi PB I am 3 1/2 weeks post op,,,,,,,,,

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 7,840
    edited February 2010
    Options

PB22, your PS told you the downtime from replacing your implants with larger implants would be only a long weekend?  I'm 6 mos out and my PS wants to replace my 457 cc Natrelle implants with larger ones about 570 cc.  I haven't committed to the idea because I thought the trip back to surgery would involve at least a month of recovery.  At this point I can do just about anything I was able to do prior to BMX/immed. recon. 

I had to smile at your husband's comment, Does it ever end?  I had what is called the 1-step, and it can be the 1-step if you accept the result.  But it's more like the "1-step at a time"!

NewBride, would you have had to pay for the hyperbaric treatments yourself?  I assumed insurance would cover it.

• TNLady
    edited February 2010
    Options

PB,  I have the mentor 650 high profile implants in both breasts.  I am 5"3' and weigh 135 pounds.  I am happy with the size, I am close to what I was before, which was a large C.  I have fullness in the upper pole, which I did not have before, due to the middle age sag.  I had the same problem with my cards, nothing but the cc's was listed.  I had to ask about it when I went back for my office visit.  They did some scrambling, but found the numbers.  Well, as far as the bathing suit thing, I'm not too sure how they will look yet.  I still have a lot of firmness in the one breast, so I'm not sure how good they will look yet.  I still have some time before summer gets here, so maybe by then, the one breast will soften up more.  The soft one looks and moves like a real boob, so if they both soften up, I think they will look pretty good in a bathing suit.  I know you don't want to go through another surgery, but if you are not happy with the look, I would go for it.   I don't think the exchange surgery would be as difficult as the mastectomy.  What does your PS say about it?  Well, whatever anyone else says, you are the one that has to be happy with them.

NewBride,  I'm glad your nipple is healing well and that the PS thinks it looks good.  Sorry to hear the hyperbaric people were not up to par.  Is there another place you could try?  That sounds like a lot of money, I'm like Carole, does insurance not cover it, or is it considered experimental?

Fairport,  my Dad said the same thing about The Lost Symbol, I will start it when I finish the series I'm on now.  I have even started a new hobby, knitting!  I find it very relaxing.

Positive vibes sent to all!  PS I hope you are doing well.

• PB22
    edited February 2010
    Options

Carole:  Yes, he said to do it over  a three day weekend if I was worried about down time. He also told me after I complained of pain at 4 weeks that it was uncommon and suggested a "spin class" at the gym.  My husband jumped in and told him I couldn't even handle the bumps of the car ride to see him.  So I imagine its more than a three day weekend at least with my pain intolerance.  He did describe it as outpatient , 30 minute procedure and its a much smaller incision, slip one out and slip one back in.  You go first carole, and let me know!  LOL, I will rename our procedure as the "One Step at a Time"  At least the PS has solutions to fixing what we don't like so we can be happy.  I can see where you wouldn't want to lose that golf swing of yours.  I should be getting a frequent customer card.

Newbride:  Congratulations on getting the drain out.  Big step in the right direction, soon you'll be shaving again.

Fairport:  You still have a good three weeks yet to go to feel normal again, but one more should be your turning point where you see some change in the pain level.

TN: Thanks for your feedback.  I can see where you live you are not sunbathing yet.

• fairportlady55
    edited February 2010
    Options

PB  thanks for your feedback. I needed a reminder that it was MAJOR surgery and its not all that long ago. My next fill is tomorrow,,,,Its actually a visit I look fwd to each week as it is reassuring to have my PS look at how I'm healing . One nipple looks really good, the other: not so much. 

Im thinking about when to return to work, how I do after my fill tomorrow will be a big factor in my decision.I think working might be good to help me think about something other than my TEs and nipples (I know you all know what I mean!:) but I dont want it to be painful and exhausting and as of today I still am not feeling "normal".

Heres hoping for a good week for everyone,,,