Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

BREAST IMPLANT SIZING 101

Comments

• Stix
    Stix Member Posts: 610

okay. thanks whippetmom. Smile.  Time will tell- but pretty sure it will need a revision. You can tell in clothes -.I think it need strattice tightening.  Who knows.  I have an appointment next week. I see what he says. Thus far- its an improvement.

• LoriWNY
    LoriWNY Member Posts: 178

Lucy--Whippetmom IS the expert!  I agree with her assessment, personally, as my stats are very similar to yours; I think 800 seems quite large for your frame, especially since you are still trying to lose weight.

I am 5 feet 1½ inches tall, 145 pounds, with a 34” ribcage.  I previously had Mentor Moderate Plus Profile 500cc smooth silicone rounds and just revised to Allergan 410 FF 475 gram (anatomicals) with lots of "pocket work."  I am quite happy with my results--the Mentor rounds were okay volume-wise but I needed a little more projection and more upper pole fullness to fill out my skin.  The Allergan 410 FF's and the "pocket work" accomplished this beautifully for me.

• LoriWNY

Stix--Congratulations on the five-year milestone!  I just wish you weren't still dealing with reconstruction issues five years out.

• Stix

Yes, lori. thanks for the congrats. In regards to reconstruction,  I actually had a bit over a year off. But, then I was running to Baltimore to have Vinnie correct a tattoo!

I had mx. at different times that why its still going on-along with complications. Everyday the implant looks different. Some days it looks like it will drop to the floor. others it has potential.  I am just about two months out.... so, we will see 

• Stix

Can anyone explain what an over dissected pocket is?  And, how is that remedied?

thanks, stix

• Lucy1010
    Lucy1010 Member Posts: 15

Thanks Whippermom and Lori - I was a little worried that I might look too much like Pamela Anderson with the 800cc rounds. Do you think I should cancel my next fill on Tuesday? Would 700 cc style 45 still be too big. My doctors want me to stabilize my weight around 120 if I can. Right now, I am still losing 3-4 pounds per week.

• Dogsneverlie
    Dogsneverlie Member Posts: 164

Hi Whippetmom,

Well, I was pleasantly surprised to come out of surgery with 240cc Left and 210cc Right - initially he was going to do 100cc range!  I am really sore, swollen and they certainly do not look pretty right now but I know it takes time.  The tubular shape seems to still be there but he went under muscle so HOPING some might fill out.  I think I will be closer in size which is what I really wanted, just need to keep telling myself that!

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

Lucy.....depends on how large you want to be. 700 ccs in Style 45 still seems large to me if your goal is to get down to 120 pounds. Size is very subjective you knows, and it depends if you have broad shoulders or some chest wall characteristic which would make that volume a good fit fit for you

• whippetmom

Stix: well, the term is really self-explanatory. The submuscular breast pocket is dissected at the time of MX. If it is over-dissected, in relation to the IMF and also thewidth and volume of the intended TE or implant, there is the likelihood of problems with implant malposition.

WARNING PHOTO IN THIS LINK IS A CLINICAL POCKET DISSECTION!

https://asps.confex.com/asps/2006am/techprogram/pa...

Revision: According to Tracy Pfeifer, MD:

The surgical techniques used to correct each type of breast implant displacement will vary, however capsulorrhaphy, or releasing and re-suturing the capsule (scar tissue) to improve the shape of the implant pocket, is sometimes used. In addition, acellular dermal matrix such as Alloderm or Strattice may be used to support the repair."

• whippetmom

Dogsneverlie....

Good news! Well, time will indeed tell, so keep us posted on your progress

• Stix

here is a really good article with pics of dissection and anatomy. It further goes into complications.  In general terms I understand what dissection means..

http://cdn.intechopen.com/pdfs-wm/27943.pdf

• jjontario
    jjontario Member Posts: 156

I am looking into my options (mx vs doing 6wks of rads). I have existing implants which I did 10 months prior to my dx (along with a clear mammo).

When I did my breast augumentation the one measurement that really determined what size I could get was my BWD (breast width diameter). This was the basically the width of your breast. Based on this measurement (mine was 12.5) the largest I could get was 590 cc and I chose the Mentor Ultra High Profile because it gave me more cc's but the same size base as some of the other styles. Does that measurement still hold true? Am I missing something?

I really love what I have/had. I really would hate to be smaller after all of this and the fortune I've spent at Nordstoms :-)

• LoriWNY

Lucy--Congratulations on your wonderful weight loss.  I would love to hear what you have done/are doing for such success if you would like to share!

• whippetmom

JJOntario:

Yes, the width is indeed a critical factor. You would likely need more implant volume though, than you have now, unless your native breasts are very small. But the width would probably be the same, give or take a half or fullcentimeter.

• Mommyathome
    Mommyathome Member Posts: 876
    Whippetmom,
    Hi. I sent you some pictures awhile back with concerns about flattening above my implant, one side "hanging" lower than the other and a divot near the arm pit.

I am scheduled to have fat grafting done on march 23. As the day is getting closer I'm getting a bit nervous. Looking at my photos do you think fat grafting alone can fix those issues? My ps said she wasn't comfortable doing anything for the divot. She said that may cause more problems and my breast look good why take a chance to run into problems. I kind of agree, but then I here the success on the site... What are your thoughts?
  • Lucy1010
    Lucy1010 Member Posts: 15

Lori - I saw my oncologist in January and she suggested that I needed to lose some weight. I was 185 at the time (and only 5'2"). I wanted to do all I could to prevent a recurrence (I have two little girls) so I started researching which foods to avoid and started exercising 15 minutes a day on an elliptical. I have cut out carbohydrates, refined sugar, meat, and processed food from my diet. Each week I added 5 minutes to my workout routine. I now workout an hour a day running or using the elliptical. At the beginning I was losing a pound a day. Now I am losing slower but still around 3 pounds a week.

• emily_the_cat
    emily_the_cat Member Posts: 11

Sorry I'm a few days behind here - but thank you, Whippetmom!!!

• Dogsneverlie
    Dogsneverlie Member Posts: 164

Lucy1010 - that is GREAT!!!!!!  You are one inch taller than I am and I am another 10 pounds over you.  Once I am recovered from reconstruction, I am going to work on the weight.  I bet you feel a lot better and have more energy!  GOOD FOR YOU!

• Stix

Went to my PS yesterday eve. He confirmed my implant has dropped too much  And, My opinion  Not to the extent of the first revision. Any comments are appreciated, I may end up with a diep IMO 

• DiveCat
    DiveCat Member Posts: 290

Deborah, just wanted to let you know I ended up in my revision today with Allergan 410 style MM140-450s on both sides.

Recall I had Allergan Inspira 435ccs (13cm width, 4.9cm projection); you had suggested a couple options, keeping moderate height, specifically an MX, and maybe even going up a width. So I did end up with moderate height, and going up an inch in width (only 0.1cm less height wise). The width seems to cover more towards the interior chest wall rather than exterior side, fortunately! But moderate projection instead of full/extra full, which gives me 0.3cm in projection than I had.

He had about 6,different sizes (plus spares for each!) in the OR, including different full & extra full projections. I was like "are all those for ME!?".

From my top down view they look great (dressings only cover over IMF incisions) and my husband, who got a good frontal view as I got dressed before going home, said they look a lot more natural than the old ones. I had thought he might go with high or ultra high projections, but so far am glad he did not...these seem to look a bit more "athletic" looking which I personally appreciate for me! They do seem to be a snug fit. We'll see when swelling goes down....less of it this time! I'll post pictures on the pic forum in due course.

• jjontario

So I seen my PS yesterday who advised that instead I'd doing a mx I should go ahead and do the 6 wks of rads and come seem him afterwards. I was hoping to get a better cosmetic result with a mx as I have existing implants. My lumpectomy scar is already pushing ....rads will tighten up the skin even more. (He said 10-20%) He said I wasn't a candidate for nipple sparing due to the loc of my tumour and because I have large areoles I would lose a lot of skin which would make me a lot smaller. I mentioned TE's but he said it would be difficult to get it big enough to match the good boob. All of this is frustrating.

A year ago I would have been thrilled for any improvement to these boobs. I hated the way they looked. Now after getting them done...it just bites. In my mind I know the whole "just be glad the cancer is gone" but vanity and all the really pretty bras/swim suits I bought also bother me.

• trailrose
    trailrose Member Posts: 89

My question is if I had 351 grams removed from one breast and 352 grams from the other breast during my BMX and I am now at 380ccs in each TE will I have close to the same size breasts as before? My PS is going to put in Mentor high profile silicone cohesive gel implants. I would like to be as close to a C cup like before. Another factor is I would like to resume my trail running and my PS said then I shouldn't go too big.

• farmerjo
    farmerjo Member Posts: 239

Ontario...geez, I'm not an expert but doesn't rads affect reconstruction options down the road? That's what I've read in here.  I had big areola's and implants from 1998. I was a D and decided to down-size to a very perky B. It's okay. I'm older and this is about YOU after all. If I were in your shoes, I would get a second opinion. Having the right information will guide you to the right decision. 

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,311

Trailrose - if you read the header at the top carefully and post your measurements & specs as listed, Whippetmom will be able to advise on the implants. But not cup size, since that is dependent on too many other nebulous variables.

• Stix

HAS ANYONE else had the problem of implant malposition/falling of the implant on ONLY one side. And if so HOW was it corrected? ADM has not worked. I have had TWO revisions.

thanks

• jjontario

Jilly59... I feel like I have no time left for a 2nd opinion as I waited so long to get into this PS (who was highly recommended by my BS) I'm trying to figure out how they will fix it after rads (a new bigger implant?)

How long after rads does it take for your skin to be "workable?"

• whippetmom

Mommyathome: I do not know if FGT will take care of all of your issues. Certainly not the issue of assymetry - one implant lower than the other. Rippling yes, and "divots" (step-off defects)yes, but it sounds as though your PS is not willing to address this concern.

• whippetmom

Sorry for the delay everyone. Was able to get on and read posts, but could not get my response to appear below the task bar when trying to respond, and I only had my phone for viewing. S

• whippetmom

Divecat: So happy to hear that you had your exchange and that your preliminary opinion is that you are happy with the results! I am going to try to get on the pic forum now to see photos

• whippetmom

JJOntario: I

I would get a second opinion. He is not the only plastic surgeon in Ontario, right?