Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

BREAST IMPLANT SIZING 101

Comments

• FUBC
    FUBC Member Posts: 60

Hi Whippetmom,

I would love to hear your opinion as I am debating on what to do next.

I am 5'6, 140 lbs, ribcage 33.5. I have TE's Allergan 133MV-13 with 400 cc capacity. With my today's fill I am at 540 cc. I am supposed to have one final fill next week (extra 60 cc) and then exchange surgery in October. I am not sure if I am happy with the size, maybe it's the projection of the TEs (they seem spread apart and not centered) that are deceiving to the eye. My PS think 550-600 cc is a good number for me though he didn't say not to go any large. Pre-mastectomy I was a 34A so the recent fills haven't been too gentle on me.

I would really appreciate your opinion on :

1- if I should go any bigger and if yes what do you think is a good number for my physique

2- what type implants might be best for me.

I know your advice will be very helpful.

Thank you and God Bless you for all the help you give to the members on this board.

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

Reckless: At least three months...

• whippetmom

Journey: Just find out first if your PS is willing, as part of his reconstruction protocol, to perform fat grafting. It would be at the time of tissue expander placement and/or at the time of exchange to implants.

• whippetmom

Kristen: Your TEs have a volume of 400 ccs but are overfilled slightly. This is fine. Implants in HP from 400 ccs to 475 ccs would be fine. I am looking for at the width of your TEs in comparison to the width of the implants. Volume has nothing to do with it . There is no "rule" for matching TE size to implant size. You could have a 400 cc tissue expander and a 550 cc implant, if you had a sufficient skin envelope and wanted larger breasts. You really just need implants with a width of at least 12.0 centimeters. Ultra high implants have more outward projection than HP implants. Your MX tissue expanders allow for the extra projection. Your PS will take several into the OR and use what looks best. You need to go to the Bras 101 forum to inquire about what you can achieve with a good bra. Hope this helps.
  • whippetmom

FUBC

I agree with your PS about the size range, but I would include a 500 cc smooth round silicone implant in that range as well. So Allergan Style 20, 500 ccs to 600 ccs. If your PS is considering anatomicals, the size would be 420 grams or 470 grams, Allergan 410 Style MF. My personal preference is smooth silicone rounds.

Your TEs have likely migrated laterally and your PS should perform pocket revisions at the time of the exchange to bring the implants more medially on the chest wall. Make sure you discuss this with him!! Do not hesitate to point out all of your concerns!
  • FUBC

Whippetmom,

Thanks for your response.

My PS wanted the round smooth silicone also, so I guess that settles it.

I am just debating if I should go for 550 or 600. I'm not sure how much of a difference it will make anyway.

Thank you for pointing out the pocket revision issue, I never thought of it and I took note so I may bringing it in my next appointment.

Thanks again for taking the time and respond to my questions,

it really means a lot

Happy Labor day weekend !!

• dgnani
    dgnani Member Posts: 5

Whippetmom,

I had posted back in May about not being satisfied with my natrelle 410 fx 495 cc implants (which have a 13.5cm width, 14 height, & 6.2 projection) and am now getting nearer to an implant exchange surgery. I think I have decided on the Inspira implant, and my ps recommended I go with the 545 SRX ( which is a 13cm diameter and 6.2 projection). I really feel that will not be much larger than what I already have. I have been wearing and add a 1 & 1/2 cup size bra and with that, makes me close to the size I would like to be. In you post to me you recommended the Allergan Style 20, 550 ccs or 600 ccs or Natrelle SSX or SRX - 550 gms.

I would really like for my implants to be wider, right now the sides are in line with my ribcage. I would for them to be fuller at the sides, I think it would even me out with my hips. I would like to go with the 650 SRX (14cm diameter, 6.5 projection). To try to figure out what size I wanted to go with, I added water to large balloons and stuck them in my bra, the ones with 155ccs in them make me the size I would like to be, that's how I decided on the 650 cc implant. I'm just not sure how accurate a guide that would be to the actual implant. I am 5' tall and weigh about 128lbs, and my ribcage measures 29.25" under my implants ( my ribcage is pretty small in comparison to my hips and shoulders). Do you think that the 650cc implant would be to large for me? I would like to be a large c cup. With the implant that I have know I am probably a small b.

I would greatly appreciate any advice , I would like to be quite a bit larger than I am now, but I don't want to wake up after surgery to DD's.

Thanks,

Dana

• whippetmom
    Dana: It would be a 550 gram or 610 gram in the SRX style. Either would be fine. I personally think you are going to be so much happier with the round implants, you will feel plenty big with the 550 gram version. Unless there is a different website now with US sizes? Here is my resource:

http://www.simplybreastimplants.com/breast_implant_sizes/natrelle_inspira_srx-ssx.html
  • TampaWhit
    TampaWhit Member Posts: 3

whippetmom, thank you for your advice! It looks like you were spot on with your suggestions - you recommended 450-500cc implants based on the information I provided.

My TEs are filled to 460cc and I decided at my last appt to stop, but now I'm worried that I'll feel like they're too small and be unhappy with them. My doctor recommended the Mentor anatomical gel high profile implants and said she would order the 440cc and 495cc. I told her I would prefer the larger implant, so she will take that into consideration in the OR (exchange scheduled for November 10th, yay!).

My concern is that I feel like the implants are going to look SO much smaller than the TEs. I asked my PS what she thought about the size and she mentioned that with larger implants, my nipple may look too low since my breasts were smaller before and slightly constricted/tuberous. This is another reason why she suggested the anatomical implants over round. I had a nipple-sparing BMX and luckily my nipples and skin came through with flying colors. I've been moisturizing and using scar cream on the incisions, and the skin feels very healthy so that's not an issue.

Am I able to post photos in this forum? I'd like your opinion on the size in comparison to my body with your knowledge of TE size compared to implant size.

Thank you again! :)
  • whippetmom
    TampaWhit: Private message me and link photos. One of the icons is used for linking photos. Cannot tell you which one right at the minute, because I am typing in plain text editor.
  • whippetmom

Reckless: By the way, if you want to go smaller, you might want to consider 500 ccs in a high profile, rather than an ultra full profile style Mentor silicone round. I think that would be a good size for your frame, if you are feeling that the current implants are too large.
  • whippetmom

FUBC: Go with 550 ccs - high profile smooth silicone round. This is what I have. I am 5'3" and 116 pounds.

• Yaniza
    Yaniza Member Posts: 83

I am in the middle of the reconstruction process. Bi lateral nipple/skin sparing mastectomies 2 months ago. I thought I had tissue expanders... but according to my PS I have very small, 175 Cc mentor saline implants under my pecs. ( He has since told me that they can be used interchangeably wit tissue eXander?????.) He says that he can overfill them... but seriously... I am 5'7". I weigh less now ( 115) than usual due to stress and surgeries. I am 29" just below my "breasts" with relatively wide shoulders. The saline TXs are very hard and very high. My surgeon has heard my concerns and reassures me that he can fix things in the exchange. I am seriously getting worried about what size I will end up with. No where can I find a reference to tissue expanders or implants this small. I was never considered flat chested but certainly not huge except when pregnant with, and nursing each of my 3 children. At the last fill my PS said that he could loosen the muscles at the bottom during the exchange surgery. Hopefully he can reduce the massive space between them too. But again... 175 ccs... ??

• dgnani

whippetmom:

Are grams the same as ccs?

I downloaded a Natrelle product catalog from http://www.natrellesurgeon.com/. This is the same one that may plastic surgeon has.

Here are some of the sizes that it has listed:

SRX-545 545 13.00 6.2

SRX-560 560 13.25 6.3

SRX-580 580 13.50 6.4

SRX-615 615 13.75 6.4

SRX-650 650 14.00 6.5

In your opinion, do you think that the 650 would be to large for me? If I went with the 580, do you think there would be a big difference in size from the 495 anatomicals that I have now. Does the difference shape make a difference in size? I would like to be at least a cup or cup 1/2 size larger.

I'm sorry for all the questions, I just want to be sure of what I am getting this time. I was so upset after my last surgery, that I think I cried for a month. I really didn't expect to be so flat chested, I was shocked. I thought that they would be closer in size to the tissue expanders that where filled to 505. My ps said the difference was because they where softer.

Thanks again for your help,

Dana

• FUBC

Whippetmom, 550 ccs on you probably looks fabulous because you're 116 lbs. I am 134 lbs as of right now. I am trying to lose weight now so to balance whatever I might gain with the hormone therapy. I have heard some women gain 30-40 lbs.

I am @ 600 cc with my fill of today. This is suppose to be my last fill and my surgery is set for the first week of October. To be honest 600 cc looks good on me, so I am thinking of maybe having another fill next week and then be done with it.

Do you know if Allergen style 20 qualifies as high profile smooth silicone round? Also, will the projection of the implants be better than the TE i have now? My TE has gone on the side giving me a side boob, so I was wondering if maybe I will have better projection with the implaints. If thats the case then I don't need another fill.

Also, my TE's have a capacity of 400cc and are filled to 600cc. The nurse today told me that they usually don't fill them more than an extra 200 cc which means today's fill is my last. Is that info correct?

Thanks again for taking the time and answering us all. Every opinion and direction I might get helps tremendously and I know you are the implant guru around here Happy

• whippetmom

dgnani:

Please read #5 in the thread header re: grams vs ccs.

The link you sent does not have sizing information. Where are you getting the sizes from that link? If there is some pathway to get to implant sizes, please link that directly.

You should be fine with 580 gms or 615 gms.

• whippetmom

Yaniza: You have Mentor Spectrum expandable implants. Rarely used, but some surgeons do use them. They are very small. It just, for various reasons, makes me question expertise.Can you get a second opinion before going through another surgery? Just to make sure you are on the right track. Avoid multiple revisions...and try to get it reasonably right from the get-go. Let me know if you need referrals from my list. PM me and tell me where you live if you need names.

• whippetmom

FUBC: Please read #6 in the thread header. Style 20 is a HP smooth round silicone implant. You will not have more projection, if you are looking at the dimensions of the TE vs dimensions of the implant. It will still be sufficient....just different in a good way. So 550 ccs or 600 ccs - tell your PS those are the numbers to try out in the OR. But you are 5'6" and I am 5'3" and so the height to weight ratio balancesout quite a bit. I do have a narrow ribcage, which helps with projection off the chest wall.

• dgnani

Whippetmom:

There was not a direct link to the sizing information I went to http://www.natrellesurgeon.com/ and clicked on product catalog at the top of the page and downloaded the pdf.

• Yaniza

Wippetmom, thank you.

I have been worried about my PS's expertise for a while. I think that I will put some discrete feelers out to find another PS for a consult.

Yaniza

• myToyStory2
    myToyStory2 Member Posts: 8

Hi Whippetmom - Age 43, 5'4, 33-inch rib, 150 lbs (but typically weigh a little less), 38 DD pre-surgery, but asked for skin to be prepared for a reduction and smaller final result, and PS used the inverted T (Wise) incision during BMX and TE placement. TE is a 650 cc Mentor, but unfortunately I don't have additional info about it for you (height or style)...sorry! Currently filled to 450 cc's and thinking about stopping at 500cc, but not sure if that's where I should end. PS doesn't prefer to use anatomical-style implants, which is fine with me. Would like to end up a full B, small C, I think. Thanks for any help!

• whippetmom
    MytoyStory2:

It really depends on how much skin your PS was able to excise. You want to fill up the skin envelopes as much as possible. With the information provided, I would say at least 650 ccs in a smooth round silicone implant. When you fill to 500 ccs, let me know what you think of the size. Also, if there is a lot of skin sort of overlying and wrinkling around the TEs, that is important to note. You might even be a better candidate for a Mentor ultra full projection style implant, but this would be in the 750 cc range most likely, because of the width to projection dimensions. You need to stay within the width range of your TEs. Again, it depends on the skin availability.
  • whippetmom

dgnani:

Oh...unfortunately I cannot download that from my iPad...So I suppose the Inspira implants for US distribution have different sizing options. I will have to wait until I can get back in town to my computer to print it all out.
  • myToyStory2

Thanks for the quick response, Whippetmom! In the interest of keeping my first note short I failed to mention that I've had 2 additional surgeries on my right side to repair necrosis and battle a pseudomonas infection. There is now significantly less skin on that side than my left side, which is another reason I am aiming for a smaller size (in addition to wishing for a more athletic-friendly physique). Will let you know how 500 cc's look/feel....meeting with the PS on Tuesday. Thx again!

• FUBC

Whippetmom, thanks again for your input. I really appreciate it

• Kristen3_0
    Kristen3_0 Member Posts: 4

Thank you so much for easing my mind. You've really helped me believe I'll be happy with the result. Only nine days until exchange-can't wait!

Kristen

• JessieJake
    JessieJake Member Posts: 170

Hi WhippetMom,

I thought I'd follow up as I finally found out today which implants were used in my exchange to implants surgery.

You had suggested that "Allergan 410 anatomical would be a MX-290 gms or 320 gms." might fit my scenario. My PS ended up using the LX-290. She explained to me today that she was able to get more fat than she thought she would and used this for more padding. This is currently looking quite nice so I'm hopeful that I won't lose too much of it. She did discuss a second round of fat grafting at least 3 months out, though, if needed.

All in all, though, I'm liking the look at 1 week post op but still healing and settling to occur. I go back in early October to assess.
    Thanks for helping me with your suggestions which overall helped me to be better informed going in to surgery!

• Yaniza

The diameter of the base of implants would seem to be important. I see ccs referred to a lot.Now my PS is talking about base diameter determining ccs. I found the mentor PDF paper online that gives the diameter of every type of implant and tissue expander. There seems to be different capacities for each diameter of implants and expanders.

It must be important to get both diameter and not just ccs right?

Yaniza

• myToyStory2

Hi Whippetmom - Had my appt with PS and got my final fill of 500 cc's. Feels slightly bigger than I'm interested in going. 450 cc's looked/felt better to me. Does that change your opinion for my implant size?

Complications from my previous bacterial infection, which continues to be the "gift that keeps on giving", caused PS to warn there was a chance I will wake up from my exchange surgery with a new TE on my right side rather than an implant due to unevenness and scar tissue. So glad he warned me - that would have been a devastating reveal without a heads up!

• whippetmom

Jessise-Jake: Interesting - the use of the LX style. I am glad you like your results! Keep me posted on how you are doing