Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Just Diagnosed- Get Prepared

Options

Comments

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,879
    edited August 2013
    Options

Thanks Shellshine for locating this link  re: Social Security Disability :)

http://www.disabilitysecrets.com/social-security-disability-breast-cancer.html

• sas-schatzi
    edited August 2013
    Options

BUMP

• sas-schatzi
    edited October 2013
    Options

Bump

• ritagz
    ritagz Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2013
    Options

I am not sure if I should cry from fear or gratitude that someone has put down all this information especially at a time when I know my brain is still reeling.

I don"t know if I am scared or angry or grateful the diagnosis isn't worse, but at least now I do know what to do so when I go to the doctor, there is a plan and a guide to help me through.

thank you for the clarity and for the support. I am sure I will need as much as I can get and this was a great place to start

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,981
    edited October 2013
    Options

Just one day at a time, and don't get overwhelmed.

Thinking of you ritagz, and all you other warriors.

• sas-schatzi
    edited October 2013
    Options

Ritagz sending PM

• sas-schatzi
    edited November 2013
    Options

Suggestions re: grief

After several disasters in the early 80's , it was found that strenuous physical activity after an event within twenty four hours, that it had a major impact on how someone recovered  physically and psychologically. This was with EMS personnel, but I've found that it works well in the grief situation too. The effects were measureable up to a year later.. Sorry that sounds so clinical, but a bit of exercise day after a death will clear the mind and help begin the healing process. Another thing that was found is that people wanted to pull away from their usually activities. and that it was important to allow time for grieving , but to keep involved too. Here the natural tendency is to want to take a break or leave entirely the things that the person was involved in. Real thoughts and feelings,

The exercise helps to produce endorphins. What was found, not intentionally at first, that when EMS personnel showed up after the first disaster with so much depression and PTSD. It was recognized that something needed to be done . A whole team was assembled from far reaches to evaluate. When the next disaster occurred they went to work. By the third they had a plan and follow up. They also provided the bosses with guidelines to watch for in their people that would indicate grieving was not going well.

The worst case scenario that was identified, was the outcome of no intervention was severe depression with the emt/medic leaving the field for good within a year.

From that beginning, came the "Critical Incident Debriefing" as it is used today. Whenever you hear of teams being brought in to offer counseling after an event. It came out of that research. The concept was to exercise first, then give the individual the time to talk through their feelings, then give them the tools to prevent depression, and allow for continued follow up to prevent long term problems. BUT The finding of the exercise was the surprise. Don't remember exactly how it fell into the plan. I just remember the presenter was very excited about this, b/c it hadn't been previously identified.

There are many very good publications on grief. Offering this here in addition to those that you may have on hand already.

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited November 2013
    Options

Very good Sass! Yes, I remember how I felt when I first heard those words! It's been almost 4 years, and I am so glad it is over! Those first tests, the Mammogram, then ultra-sound, biopsy, and them telling me I had breast cancer!

Meeting my "team" ..... Then going through surgery, then radiation seems like it was all a dream now!

The first year was the worst.... Always thinking you would have it AGAIN somewhere! But I am very fortunate!

Yes, grief.... for all things.... for all that we lose..... You just can't stay IN it! You have to find a time, when it is okay to move on a little bit.... You will always remember, but never forget those you loved. But it comes easier..... with time.

When you feel you are in that dark tunnel..... give yourself 10 minutes to stay...... then come out. Find something else to do, or to think about.... Go to your "safe place"...

Even if it's just going in the bedroom, and shutting the door, with a good cup of coffee. Give yourself time.... and then give yourself another beginning!

• kathindc
    kathindc Member Posts: 1,667
    edited November 2013
    Options

Chevy, beautiful words! Thank you.

• sas-schatzi
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks Chevy, and I second Kathindc's commentHappy

• sas-schatzi
    edited January 2014
    Options

This link is to a thread that covers many tips on chemo related things. There is very little overlap to the info here. I think it is a great addition to this thread that I am able to link you too it. I highly encourage you to give it a read.

http://community.breastcancer.org/topic_post?forum_id=69&id=706846&page=1

I put this link in the topic thread :)

• sas-schatzi
    edited December 2013
    Options

BUMP

• sas-schatzi
    edited December 2013
    Options

Bump

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 942
    edited December 2013
    Options

Bump it up for Newbies

• [Deleted User]
    edited December 2013
    Options

bump

• [Deleted User]
    edited January 2014
    Options

Bumping in 2014

• [Deleted User]
    edited January 2014
    Options

Bump it up

• [Deleted User]
    edited January 2014
    Options

BUMP

• [Deleted User]
    edited January 2014
    Options

BUMP

• [Deleted User]
    edited January 2014
    Options

BUMP IT UP!!!

• [Deleted User]
    edited January 2014
    Options

bump

• [Deleted User]
    edited January 2014
    Options

Bump

• sas-schatzi
    edited January 2014
    Options

Can't remember if I mentioned this or someone else did, I'm going to put it in the topic box too.

As soon as you get the diagnosis and BC plan. ASK about immunizations before chemo/rads------FLU, Pnuemovax, Shingles vaccines. These can't be given in a reduced immune state.

• [Deleted User]
    edited January 2014
    Options

Sas, as soon as I got my surgery date, which was Oct. I went to get my flu shot. I figured it best not to wait until chemo.

Paula

• sas-schatzi
    edited January 2014
    Options

Soteria ---so right...... I've been PM'ing with a Newbie-----she's into chemo and no one checked on her immune status re: these three. All can be life threatening in a reduced immune state. After positive MRI, even before my biopsy I got the flu and pneumovax. Pneumovax was my second shot b/c it was 10 years since the first shot. Shingles was very new then, insurance wouldn't approve it. It was very expensive out of pocket. In a do over I would have paid, but head wasn't on straight.

Pnuemovax----with this immunization, the number and time length between shots keeps changing. At the time I got my second shot it was ten years. Now it's six. May have already changed as I write.

Thanks again Soteria for frequent bumping :) sassy

• [Deleted User]
    edited January 2014
    Options

Bump it up

• sas-schatzi
    edited January 2014
    Options

This years flu is showing up with H1N1. 12 have died in Florida. Not sure what of the national total count .

• [Deleted User]
    edited January 2014
    Options

BUMP

• [Deleted User]
    edited February 2014
    Options

BUMP

• sas-schatzi