Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Options
1659660661662663665»

Comments

• Greatly blessed
    Greatly blessed Member Posts: 14
    Options

Intolight, I am praying for you. Let's hope for nothing new.

• bandwoman1234
    bandwoman1234 Member Posts: 5,786
    Options

Chris, I was so lifted by your oncologist's view of these latest scans. A wild ride indeed. I can only imagine you feel like a limp rag at this point. I know I would. Of course I will be praying for no changes and good scans in three months.

Greatly Blessed, feel free to post any time. It is always nice to "see" a new face.

I just finished my Zoom Bible study. I saw my hand surgeon today. I may need surgery if the conservative approach doesn't work but I am believing it will. I got a cortisone shot in my left thumb and hopefully this will help. I have been dealing with this for probably two years and now that my knee PT is over I felt like it was time since my PT exercises really inflamed my thumb. I know, go figure.

Have a good night dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• Greatly blessed
    Options

Nancy, thank you.

• bandwoman1234
    Options

Greatly Blessed 😊

• hersheykiss
    hersheykiss Member Posts: 673
    Options

Chris, I'm glad that your oncologist reached out to you so quickly. Her interest must be reassuring to you and your family. She sounds like a very thorough and pragmatic physician.

Greatly Blessed, welcome to our little family! Please post as much or as little as you like. We are a friendly group!

Nancy, I hope the cortisone injection gives you rapid pain relief. Did your surgeon mention hand therapy as an option? Your kind physical therapist may have some conservative ideas as well.

• bandwoman1234
    Options

Hershey, sorry to respond late. On Thursday out of nowhere I was hit with nausea and I am still not feeling well. Yesterday I was sneezing a lot and felt like I was getting a fresh cold which I haven't had in ages. Today I still don't feel back to normal. Could it be a delayed response to my cortisone injection? Who knows. I have had a pretty big reaction to a knee injection a few years ago but haven't had that happen again. My thumb is doing much better now that I am not in PT. Doing those bar exercises was the culprit. I do have a thumb brace which I will use it if gets bad. So far not too bad so the cortisone may be working.

How are you doing? I know many states are experiencing a heat wave. For us this coming week looks pretty hot. You would laugh at me. To avoid the cidacas I have been watering at night and using my cell phone light to alert me to any critters. They chirp and make sounds at me as I am watering. If you have ever seen the Alfred Hitchcock movie The Birds or maybe just Birds that is what I feel like I am doing when I venture outside at night thinking it is safe. LOL I am such a chicken. I'll admit it. Unlike the Birds movie these things are harmless but my brain still feels like that is not true. I was looking on my calendar to see how many more weeks of this we will have. I couldn't believe it has only been a couple of weeks since they were bad. UGH I still have three water fountains to put up but I just know what is going to happen so I have been waiting. 🙄

Have a good weekend everyone.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,218
    Options

Nancy, sorry you are not feeling well. I woke this morning feeling like I am getting a sore throat which isn't good anytime but especially now when my DGD is having her party here! Actually, I took a pain pill and an allergy pill and am doing ok even if it is pseudo ok. The party is about over and I am just chillin' upstairs while the kids and parents are all downstairs. My BIL and his wife are here to support my granddaughter which is sweet and also means I get to visit with them. I love listening to the kids which feels like life and living and happiness.

The party is over and the last guest just left. Time to rest as my DD and SIL did all the cleanup. Praying you all have a good evening and get lost of sleep.

• bandwoman1234
    Options

Chris, when I am sick I just want to be alone. I can't imagine having a big party of kids and their parents going on while sick. I am glad you were able to go upstairs and away from everything at least for a while. I am glad you got to hear the kids having fun. That is a blessing. Having someone do the clean up is really a blessing as well. I do hope you feel better. I am not going to church tomorrow and hopefully will feel much better soon.

Take care. Praying we both feel much better very soon.

Love,

Nancy

• wheatfields
    wheatfields Member Posts: 167
    Options

Nancy and Chris, I'm praying that you both are feeling better today! Chris, I liked this verse you shared a while back "Psalm 93:4 NLT ~ But mightier than the violent raging of the seas, mightier than the breakers on the shore— the Lord above is mightier than these!", I'm so glad you were able to enjoy family at a distance while not feeling well. Nancy, I'm praying that those awful flying cicadas go away soon and you are able to do your yard and enjoy it at the same time!

My sister for some reason has dropped her two best friends at memory care to have supper with another lady upstairs. She is upset with the two besties that they won't eat with her and this one from the second floor at supper time. So now she's spending a lot of time alone because the lady from second floor only comes out of her room to eat supper and doesn't take part in any of the activities. She tells the me and my BIL that she's mad at them because they won't do what she wants. My BIL tried to explain to her that she's not married to them and they don't need to do what she tells them. So she is spending more time in bed, sitting alone, or skipping activities. I'm wondering in the back of my mind, is this all a part of "moving to another stage" of dementia.

My leg pain isn't really better, I'm still going to PT and had a different gal last time and she had me doing lots of exercises I hadn't done before and so this weekend the leg seems worse. My nurse friend is more assertive than I am, she says she would tell them she's having the same person each time or she's not coming. She is still struggling with sleep but trying to ignore it not knowing what else to do about it I think.

Lots of love and prayer for each of you.

Wheatfields

• hersheykiss
    Options

Nancy, I hope you are feeling better today, and I'm glad that your thumb is on the mend. Having a brace just in case you need it sounds prudent. I like your idea of watering at night to avoid the cicadas. I may have to try that approach to avoid the grasshoppers!

Chris, the birthday festivities sound like they were great fun. It's wonderful that others volunteered for the chaperone and cleanup duties.

Wheatfields, it's sad that your sister no longer associates with her two best friends. That must be hard for her friends and your brother-in-law, too. I will pray for a breakthrough in their friendships. Leg pain can be debilitating, and finding the right physical therapist is a challenge. I do hope your regular therapist is available for your remaining appointments. I'm sorry to read that your nurse friend continues to struggle with sleep. I will pray for better nights ahead.

It has been very hot in my neck of the woods (much too hot for this time of year). I've been going outside before 6:30am to do my watering. On Friday morning, the temperature was already sitting at 72 degrees! I fear it's going to be a long, hot, and dry summer. 🥤🕶️🌡️

• bandwoman1234
    Options

Chris, I hope you are feeling better. I didn't even get dressed today. I am still feeling queasy and not back to normal yet.

Wheatfields, I am sorry to hear your leg isn't any better. I can really relate to your experience having another therapist giving you different exercises and making things feel worse. I would have assistants that would go through exercises and push too hard and gave me new things as well. I am like you and am hesitant to speak up when I should. I have not exercised this week like I would normally have done and I can already feel some pain returning. I pray that you can get pain relief. I know it does take some time with PT to improve.

I'm really sorry to hear about your sister's relationship issues with her best friends. I ministered with another guy from my church as we dealt with dementia residents at this assisted living facility for 8 yrs. I would always compare how my Mom was measuring up to them. I think there are some basic similarities but I do feel like each person is individual how their situations play out. My Mom lived alone after my Dad died and was by herself for many years. She kept to herself most of the time at her assisted living facility. When I would visit I would go with her to play bingo and to Bible study just to get her interacting with others. Sometimes they seem to revert back to childish behavior and hopefully this will just be a short phase with your sister and her best friends. I think my Mom was content when she lived at her assisted living facility. When I look back I know I worried about her so much while she was there and I know God had everything under control. I wish I could have let that go more than I did. When I do look back on that whole journey I could see God's timing and provision so clearly in retrospect. I am sorry to hear your friend is still struggling with insomnia. I still struggle with it as well so I know how frustrating it can be and how it can weaken your immune system when you don't get enough rest.

Hershey, it sounds like you are part of the heat wave. I'm sorry to hear that. I really do hope this heat dome I have heard it called will leave along with the cicadas. Our cicadas don't like rain so on cloudy days and some rain it really slows them down. Watering early sounds like a good plan.

I will be praying for all of your concerns that you have mentioned.

Carol, Teka, GB, Kerry, praying for you as well.

Have a good week dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• teka
    teka Member Posts: 5
    edited June 10
    Options

Greatly blessed, welcome to the thread.

We're having cool weather in the North Country.

The 3rd year a doe is using our wooded area for a nursery. Cute fawn!

Feel better one and all.

• Greatly blessed
    Options

Thank you.

• bandwoman1234
    Options

Teka, what a cutie. You have your own little Bambie.

Greatly Blessed, if you have any prayer needs or just want to chat please let us know.

I managed to order groceries online at around 4 am. A sleepless night again. I was able to drive and pick them up and I did fine. I have a couple of apts tomorrow which I am planning on going to. I've been changing my diet which I think has helped.

I hope you all have a good week.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight
    Options

@Greatly blessed Welcome to our little room.

Things are quiet here today and it is supposed to be hot— 90° and repeat all week. That is hot for here but not unusual. All our new plants are doing well so we can cut back on the water. No plans, just trying to get the house set up for my family coming next week. Yippee!

• hersheykiss
    Options

Momma Deer must feel very safe on your property, Teka. Her baby is a cutie pie.

I have my DEXA scan on Thursday afternoon at a hospital about an hour from my house. I really want to change the location, but my doctor wants scans using the same machine. I'd be interested to know if your physicians recommend this protocol for DEXA scans.

• bandwoman1234
    Options

Hershey, I just wrote a long post and lost it all. I will make this brief. I just did an AI search asking about your issue and this pretty long article was agreeing with your doctor. I won't go into all of it now. So if it were me knowing what I just read on this subject I would drive the hour. When it comes to helping your doctor properly dose your meds it could be detrimental if you didn't get an accurate reading.

I do use AI all the time now that it popped up on my computers this year. It has helped me a great deal on a whole variety of things. However it is not 100% accurate. So I hope this helps.

Love,

Nancy

• hersheykiss
    Options

Hi Nancy. I appreciate your reply.

I've only seen this doctor two other times. She placed the DEXA scan order at the university hospital instead of my local one (they are both part of the same system). I'll keep the Thursday scan appointment and discuss more with the doctor when I see her in two weeks. Thanks again, and I hope you have a restful night's sleep.

• bandwoman1234
    edited June 13
    Options

Chris, your temps sound like here. We had 95 in the forecast for one day. I think it hit 90 today. I am just now going out to water at almost 9:30 PM No flying cicadas at night but they do chirp. When I was in the car to get my mail yesterday which is down the street from my house I had days of mail piled up. There was a big tree over the mailboxes and the cicada noise was so loud. I hurried as fast as I could to get back in my car. A cicada got in and I never saw it but it was screeching at me very loudly. I was panicked and jumped out of the car and then thought I will only let more in. I got in the car and floored it to my house. I rolled down all the windows but again was afraid I would get more inside. So this morning when I went out with the car I very gingerly got in the car. I saw nothing and heard nothing. I understand when cicadas die they must really stink so I am not sure if I will be in for that surprise or not.

Is your guests coming your half sister with her teenage boys or is that later? I hope you have a great time with them and that you are feeling much, much better. Glad your plants are in the ground and doing well.

Hershey, hopefully your doctor will explain the reasoning behind her insistence to go to the location farther away. It makes me wonder how many other types of medical equipment have variations in their results.

Teka, I was watching this rather long video on YouTube. I think the hook was look what the cat brought home. It was so cute and interesting and hilarious.

Carol, how are you doing? Are you experiencing the heat wave in SD?

Take care dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,644
    Options

Nancy, we're closer to the coast, so it's been overcast, gloomy and even drizzly here. A few miles inland it's bright and sunny. The sun did come out here yesterday around noon, which was nice. We call this June gloom, which follows May gray.

How are you feeling? We've been busy getting a rental property ready to rent again. Lots of work to do, although out tenant left it in almost perfect condition. DH is doing most of the work. I just go along and mae suggestions about all the bright ideas I have. Painters are in there right now.

Not much else going on. PET scan next Wednesday, MO appointment the following Wednesday.

Love to all,

Carol

• intolight
    Options

Carol, I remember the June Gloom all too well. We are in the midst of a heat wave here although we had hail just last week. That is Spring weather in the Rockies! Rentals are a lot of work but well worth it. I will continue to pray for your scans and that you can continue to eat okay.

Nancy, you have cicadas during the day which are noisier than our crickets at night. I know you will be glad when that season passes! Thankfully you have many years before they raise their noisy heads again! How are you feeling? Hopefully you can get out and take some pictures soon.

My DD and DGD are in San Diego for a couple of days so it is quiet here. It is a mere glimpse of what retirement would be like for just the two of us. Quiet and boring! Take care everyone. I miss my father and he even popped up in a dream a couple of days ago…weird!

Love, Chris

• bandwoman1234
    Options

Carol, I hope all of your work on your rental property pays great dividends for you. It is nice to hear about the good renter that you had. Praying you get another as good. I pray that your upcoming scans will be good news. You will laugh at this. I was getting my garbage ready a couple of nights ago and it was very late. I opened my front door and I let out a little "OH". There was an animal on my porch and when I realized it was just a baby oppossum who was eating cicadas I wanted to grab my phone to take a pic but he quickly left into my bushes. I was glad someone was glad about the cicada buffet! My sister downstate had their cicada emergence before we did. Theirs are another brood than ours. She said she was sad that they were gone. I just said I will be elated when that happenes here!!!!!! I had another "encounter" just yesterday. I thought this parking lot would be a no cicada zone. Not so!!! I think one flew on me and when I got in my car it was screeching and I flew out of the car and screamed. Others around me seem to not notice or maybe they were thinking who is that crazy lady. He must have flown off of me. I don't think my heart or my blood pressure can stand too many of these encounters. I know I am such a chicken.

Chris, I hope you enjoy the peace and quiet while it lasts. Hopefully you will get some good rest before your family comes for a visit. I hope you feel really good when they come. My stomach is better but my insomnia is really bad for some reason. We are in the heat wave now too so I probably won't be doing too much with my camera. I had considered going to the butterfly house today but last night was a bad night so maybe tomorrow. I bought some new lighting equipment and that has been a bit of a learning curve which I am doing inside with YouTube videos so I am immersed in my photography but not like I will be soon.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    Options
  • bandwoman1234
    Options

Hi dear sisters. I have been in a Zoom Bible Study studying John Bevere's The Awe of God. When I am out with my camera taking pictures of butterflies or flowers I am constantly in awe of God's beautiful creations. I am going to share some of my pics from this past weekend at my favorite Butterfly House.

1. Zebra 2. Malachite 3. Blue Morpho (one of the largest in the world) 4. Blue Morpho's outer wings (which I find fascinating. The eyes help to scare predators.) 5. Male Julia

• intolight
    Options

Nancy, those are beautiful! Are you saying the #3, and #4 are the same blue morpho butterfly? Amazing!

So happy you got out. I've not been doing well the last few days but I see my oncologist tomorrow so hopefully we can figure this out before my kids arrive on Thursday.

Have a good week everyone.

• hersheykiss
    Options

Nancy, I'm very much drawn to the first photo. The contrast between the black-and-white butterfly and yellow marigold is especially nice.

Chris, you must be getting excited to spend time with your children. I hope tomorrow's oncology appointment is very helpful.

I was outside at 5:30 this morning watering my plants. The heat has been oppressive. I pray you all are staying as cool as possible.

• bandwoman1234
    Options

It is dangerously hot here this week and into next week. The cicadas love it though. I found a dead one in my car. I know on two different occassions I had one screeching at me and I knew it was in my car. I am sorry it had to meet its demise in my car as their lives are very short anyway.

Chris, I am really sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well. I will ramp up my prayers for you so that you can feel good when your kids come. I know you must be anxious to see your oncologist as well. Lifting you up for all of these concerns. Yes, the Blue Morpho is the same in pic 3 and 4. That is one small example of how incredibly amazing God's creation is. There were so many flying around it was like I was in an animated movie. Very surreal. The vivid blue is just incredible. Thank you for your nice comments.

Hershey, thank you. Getting a good compostion is always a challenge at this place. I love color but this year they had some very different plants which only certain types of butterlies are attracted to. I was so happy to get out in a cicada free zone with my camera! Stay safe. This weather is really dangerous.

Love,

Nancy

• wheatfields
    wheatfields Member Posts: 167
    Options

Teka, that is the cutest picture of the little fawn! Thank you for sharing. And Nancy thank you for sharing your photos of the butterflies, they are beautiful with the flowers and plants. Praying for you all and Chris for your appointment tomorrow and that you are able to enjoy family coming and feeling good.

I have a 5 year check up tomorrow with my oncologist, and surgeon and a mammogram. everything seems okay, but thank you for your prayers.

Love, Wheatfields

• bandwoman1234
    Options

Thank you Wheatfields. How is your leg doing? I'll be praying for your oncologist, surgeon and mammogram tomorrow. That's a lot in one day. Praying everything will be good news.

Teka, praying you are feeling better.

Love,

Nancy