Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• bandwoman1234
    bandwoman1234 Member Posts: 5,872

Hershey, that sounds awful. I had drug my floor fan downstairs months ago in drying out the ceiling of my laundry room and it is still sitting in my LR now. I guess I need to get my act together. Today I am planning on setting up my little fountain that sits basically on the ground. It is sort of cloudy and breezy and I am hoping that will help with the cicadas leaving me alone even though I can still hear them singing loudly from inside the house. I saw several dead ones on my patio today so I am praying the end is near. Obviously for those I saw it was the end!! Even though when the experts keep saying their emergence could continue then I'm thinking if they live another 4 weeks that goes well into July. Hopefully they are not sugar coating this event for those of us who have a lot of anxiety when outside. You are smart to water in the early morning. That is much better for the plants than what I am doing at night.

I hope for everyones sake that cooler temps are coming soon. You might try ear plugs. I have certainly used them when they were installing new water mains right outside my bedroom window.

Take care.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,331

Hershey and Nancy, it is 52° here right now with 84° forecast for tomorrow. The weather station has us under a winter weather warning! We keep vacillating between hot and cold temps. I am cleaning my oven and it is too cold to leave the windows open! I am sorry so many are suffering from the heat. My son in NY is under the heat dome and lost his AC…not good. My other son and family arrive tomorrow but it is supposed to start warming up for his visit. Crazy weather!

I am so thankful my dear sweet DH has been helping me clean house today. Most of our married life I did it all. He realized recently he should have been doing his part and now he has to help but is doing it willingly. I have not heard from my MO from the missed appointment and probably won't unless I call. I think I am okay to wait a few weeks as I feel better today. She sees me every six weeks and I don't have a lot new to say anyways until after my CT scan to check on my liver issue. I can always call the on-call nurse so I will hold on to that.

Wheatfields, how did your appointments go?

Stay cool everyone.

• wheatfields
    wheatfields Member Posts: 180

Hello ladies,

Thank you very much for your prayers! All went well yesterday and I can drop off the Arimidex which I am very thankful for. I try to get all three yearly appointments on the same day for it's an hour and a half drive and so it's a ways to go. I could decide yesterday whether to stay with the breast cancer center there or just go to our local clinic again. I chose to stay with them for now, while I'm still able to do the driving. I was with my nurse friend today to a local eye appointment and she is going to have cataract surgery on July 2nd and 18th.

Hope the cicadas and the heat goes away for everyone. Chris, I'm so glad you are feeling pretty good and will pray for a wonderful visit with family, thankful for your DH helping with cleaning and that your appointment with your MO will work out soon. Nancy, I'll pray that the Lord will protect you from those cicadas as you put up your fountain. Hershey, praying that you can have a cool and quiet night's sleep!

Praying for all of you!

Love, Wheatfields

• bandwoman1234

Chris, I am glad you are feeling better today. Your weather sounds crazy and unpredictable. I am not sure I would want to revisit the 50's but some cooler weather would be great. I pray that you will have a wonderful time with your family. I am so glad you have a DH that is willing to do housework. That is a huge blessing. I really feel for your son that lost his AC during this heat wave. I sure hope that can be fixed. Praying for a great visit with your son and family and you feeling well.

Wheatfields, when I finished my last dose of Anastrozole it was definitely a happy dance time for me as I had so many side effects. I imagine you are happy to have that one off your daily list. I had a feeling your apts were long distance when you had them all scheduled on the same day. Congratulations on your 5yr mark. I still see my MO even at 10 yrs out and I think I will stay with him for the long haul. I pray that your nurse friend will have a very easy cataract surgery with great results.

I don't think I shared this story but I will now. My neighbor came over a couple of weeks ago and asked if I could come out back. I had no idea what she needed. So when I was walking to the back of my house she was sitting on my patio wall with a big present which was for me. They had bought me a garden kneeling device with handles knowing that this is a challenge for me after surgery. She had showed me what they bought for her DH several weeks ago and I looked at them online but never bought one. I think the cicadas had emerged by then. Anyway I had made them a photo greeting card and then got sick. I finally saw them out working in their garden this afternoon and I gave her the card. We went to the back of my lot where there are no trees and I felt much safer there even though we still saw cicadas flying around us. We talked for a long time and I never did get outside to put up my little fountain. Oh well. She came over a little while later and asked if they could make me dinner as they were grilling. So I got a pass from cooking tonight and had a nice meal. So I am blessed.

I do need to get outside and water so I need to sign off. I did find out just today that my cicadas that are chirping at me at night are attraced to artificial light which I have inset lighting in my patio wall. So that explained that. It also said if they start chriping it could be because they feel disturbed. I didn't feel like such a chicken as my neighbor said she doesn't like them either and if one lands on her she wants her DH to get it off of her.

Have a good night dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234

Teka, I am sure glad you are over all your congestion. Summer crept up on me. I didn't realize it is tomorrow. Yeah for summer and yeah for feeling much better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love,

Nancy

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723

Nancy, stunning photos!

Chris, I'm so sorry. It can be so frustrating when appointments are cancelled.

I'll see the dermatologist today to try to get a handle on this itching.

I had my PET scan yesterday and my MO called me at around 4 pm. There's progression. The report called it "omental caking/mesenteric carcinomatosis." I'll see her next Wednesday and will discuss the treatment plan. She said we still have treatment options. Maybe this explains why I've been so tired lately.

DH and I continue to hang onto our faith and trust in God; what else is there?

Love to all,

Carol

• intolight

Carol, I am so saddened to hear this news. I will continually lift you up in prayer as you discuss next treatment options. May God surround you with arms of love and hold you close.

• bandwoman1234

Carol, I am really sorry to hear this news. May you and DH continue to hang on to God. May he give you peace that passes all understanding and may he give your oncologist wisdom in how to proceed. I hope my butterfly pics gave you a bit of distraction.

Chris, praying for your son's family as they arrive and praying you feel really good.

Love,

Nancy

• wheatfields

Carol, I am so sorry to hear that news, but I know the Lord will provide a way through. Lifting you up in prayer and as I do the hymn His eye is on the sparrow comes to my mind. We are all praying for you.

Love, Wheatfields

• bandwoman1234
  • hersheykiss
    hersheykiss Member Posts: 703

Carol, I'm so sorry that you received this news. I pray that God's comfort, peace, and love be multiplied to you and your family.

• sunshine99

Thank you, everyone for the prayers and encouragement.

I have no doubt of God's hand in this. That provides both DH and me great comfort. There is no better place to be than in the hand of the Almighty.

Love to all,

Carol

• bandwoman1234

Teka, I believe that. I have to keep telling myself living with these cicadas is my gift. My motivation for future is hopefully they will all be gone very soon. I say this a bit tongue in cheek but in absolute sincerity as well.

Carol, you are an inspiration. Chris, you are an inspiration to me as well.

I love all of you and am praying for each of you.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    edited June 22

This is something I posted quite a few years ago and I tried to find it. The message still resonates today. The formating is awful in trying to copy and paste but hopefully you will get the gist of it. Scroll all the way down.

• hersheykiss

Nancy, I don't recall seeing the original post. Invite Jesus - what a powerful message and concept. Thank you for finding and sharing it again with our little group.

• choosinghope
    choosinghope Member Posts: 12

Hello all,

New to this discussion thread. I am a single 46yo Christian, never married, no children. I was diagnosed last year as Stage IIIA with IDC, although I was probably really Sage IV (they found small lesions on my liver but couldn't verify that they were cancerous because they were too small to biopsy). I found out in April of this year that I have 4 new lesions on my liver, and a biopsy confirmed that they are the same type of cancer as found in my breast.

I am enjoying reading the posts on here and I am happy I found a Christian discussion page. @intolight I am very encouraged that is has been 8 years since diagnosis and that you are doing so well. I hope and pray that the current medication works in stopping the spread.

Prayers and blessings to all.

• hersheykiss

Choosinghope, welcome to our virtual family! I'm glad that you found our thread. Please feel free to post as much or as little as you wish. We are here to support you.

• sunshine99

choosinghope, welcome.
    Nancy thank you for that beautiful reminder.

• bandwoman1234

Welcome Choosinghope. I really like your user name. I am glad the title of our thread didn't stop you from posting. Many years ago we had a 20 something young gal who was also stage IV and she had a miracle remission. We have a friend from this thread who we were hoping was going to come back and she has been in stage IV for many, many years. She is in her 80's now. I am in my 70's and have also never been married and no children. I am happily single. Feel free to join in. We have a great little community here of wonderful ladies from all over the country that support each other. We would be glad to have you join us. Feel free to post or ask for prayer any time.

Hershey, I posted that quite a few years ago. I am not sure if any of you were on the thread at that time. I forgot to look at my original date so I don't remember. I remember writing it with certain ladies in mind but I feel like it is still timely for us today.

Carol, thank you. Praying for you!

We are expecting severe storms tonight so I need to get off of here and tend to some things in case we lose power.

Take care everyone.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight

@choosinghope Welcome to our little family. Please feel free to post anything you need. We are a caring and non-judgmental group offering lots of prayer and support. For me the ladies here help hold me together just when I need it the most always pointing to our Savior and our faith.

• bandwoman1234

Teka, I like the banner. The pics of the bees not so much. LOL There is one of those things I am more afraid of than than the cicadas and that is the cicada killer. If I am remembering correctly we would have a big hole next to the driveway at my parents house. That was where the cicada killer was. Unlike the cicadas that are harmless (tell my brain that) the cicada wasps are big and have a stinger. The hum of bees in the garden I have not heard for many, many weeks. I am not hearing the rhythmic chorus of cicadas as they would all sing together but now it is more like the sound of the annual cicadas but that is too early for them. They are slowly dying but I wish that process would speed up!!!! To all the bug lovers out there I'm sorry.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234

Have a good day dear sisters.

• bandwoman1234

Carol, praying you have a good discussion with your MO today. Praying for wisdom and that you will come away with hope. May God surround you with His peace.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234

Wheatfields, I saw today on the news flooding in your state. Are you okay?

• wheatfields

Hi Nancy, yes I am doing okay. There is a lot of flooding close by, within 30 miles some roads are under water and here there are people with water in their basements. There are some very sad situations where people's whole homes slid into the lake. We just had so much rain in such a short time. Continuing in prayer for you Nancy.

Praying for your appointment Carol, that you would be surrounded by a peace that passes all understanding as you lean on the everlasting arms of our Lord.

Choosinghope, so glad you found this site and we will be praying for you!

Love, Wheatfields

• bandwoman1234

Wheatfields, I am glad you are okay but very sad for others who totally lost their homes and for those who have water in their basement. To see on the national news video of SD I knew it must be pretty bad.

Thank you for your prayers. Actually today is a milestone for me. I worked out in my yard during a sunny day (when cicadas are usually very active) and had no fear. The cicadas that were singing seemed to be across the street and not in my yard. I know they are coming to the end of their life cycle. I am SO GRATEFUL. As I was weeding I ran into shells that they emerged from and some dead ones as well. As they decompose then the stink phase is supposed to last maybe up to two weeks but they are good fertilizer so the experts say we should just let them be.

I know your nurse friend is having cataract surgery coming up. I hope all goes well for her. I have had both of my eyes done and the procedure itself is not near as bad as the thought of it.

How is your leg doing? The last you mentioned it you said the PT was not helping. Any change there? I will continue to pray for you.

Have a good night.

Love,

Nancy

• sunshine99

That's wonderful, teka!

Happy Monday, everyone. Marty made it safely home from his mountaineering trip. I have NO desire to go on those trips and when I see the pictures/videos I know I made the right decision.

I should be starting my new drug, Afinitor, today or tomorrow. Will be scheduling a biopsy/FNA of my gut (technically, it's called the omentum.) I had never heard of that word before. Will get another blood draw for a liquid biopsy tomorrow to look for new mutations.

Love to all,

Carol

• bandwoman1234

Teka, I think I can smell your beautiful petunias right thought my computer. I don't have any at all this year and I used to have quite a bit. I wanted to get away from the dead heading. You are a better woman than I am. 😍 Enjoy the rest of your summer.

Carol, I am praying that your new drug will do its job and kick this cancer to the curb. Your procedure sounds like an upper endoscopy and I had never heard of omentum before either. I will pray for these procedures that you have coming up. I'm glad that your DH can go on his trips and I can understand you wanting the comforts of home. Know I am praying for you in all ways!!

How is everyone doing? I know with the 4th falling in the week many may be having some mini trips. We are experiencing some cool temps which has been nice. The 17 yr cicadas are singing their last hurrah and I think the annual cicadas have come back early and are singing loudly in the evening but nothing like the last many weeks. It has been pretty quiet during the day so many of us are thrilled with that. I am finally getting some needed yardwork finished. In my getting ready to set up my cascading fountain I accidentally tipped over one of my ground fountains that I put up for the birds and they love it. I had a ton of river rocks fall into in my wet mulch. 🙄 I hope you all have a nice holiday week with the 4th coming soon.

Take care everyone.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    edited July 2

I visited the Butterfly House a few days ago. I thought I got some good pics but after having my camera to the camera store to update the firmware something went haywire. One of the main settings that regulates the amount of light in (aperture) was set when I got there and I didn't realize most of my time there the aperture was automatically changing to these crazy numbers I would never use for this type of photography and hence many of my pics were out of focus which I couldn't see on my camera at the time even though I did check my settings after things got a bit goofy. I haven't checked my camera to fix whatever may have happened. With that said I have just a few shots and only one of them I was happy with but I did pick butterflies I haven't posted this year. So here goes.

This first pic is the butterfly version of the water cooler. However their water has fruit and sugar in theirs.

This second pic is an Eggfly. I am not sure who comes up with these names.

This last one is a Citrus Swallowail

Have a good evening dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• sunshine99

Nancy, your photos are beautiful. How I would love to tag along with you on one of your photo excursions!