Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• bandwoman1234
    bandwoman1234 Member Posts: 5,872

Chris, I'm sorry you are having such a tough time. i didn't realize you had to wait so long for your meds. Two more days. You can make it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can see missing the beach. I think that is only natural. On this Nextdoor App I am on there are always very neat pictures of wildlife from CO. Do you see any of the wildlife near you?

I have a walker which I hardly used for my surgery but no seat. Last night was one of my many nights where I fall asleep watching TV and then I get to bed and am awake a good part of the night. So no Butterfly House for me today. Actually I don't ever recall seeing anyone in this small area with a walker or wheel chair. I know baby strollers are not allowed so I will see a few of them parked outside the building. Maybe tomorrow.

I am praying that you will feel MUCH better very soon.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    edited August 7

Take a few minutes to listen to this. It is one of the best performances of How Great Thou Art I have ever heard. It is not the live performance I heard her sing at an awards show but it is still very moving. I promise you it will bless you.

Love,

Nancy

• hersheykiss
    hersheykiss Member Posts: 703
    edited August 9

Chris, I hope you are feeling better today. A 68-degree day sounds refreshing. Are you seeing snow on Pikes Peak yet?

Nancy, it's good to read that your knee is improving. It sounds like the cortisone injection brought the swelling right down. Your sleep pattern sounds a bit like mine; I fall asleep watching TV, get up, and go to bed. Now I'm wide awake! How does that happen?!?

We're having some rain today! In fact, I'm waiting for a little rain shower to end so I can run to the grocery store. It's been so dry since April that even a tiny shower is a wonderful blessing.

• bandwoman1234

Teka, that looks like a work of art!!!! I would like a piece, please!!!

Hershey, I have the windows open and it is almost chilly and I am loving the change from hot and humid. My knee is still swollen but I am slowly getting back to my knee exercises and I know that is helping. I hurried to get out with my camera today but I am enjoying just sitting here reading some news and enjoying the quiet and coolness of this day. I know I am sleep deprived and would rather curl up with a blanket and take a nap. I take quite a cocktail of sleep meds and many nights still can't sleep but I have been falling asleep watching TV and can't seem to get out of this cycle. I have been watching the TV series that was so popular around 2004 called Lost. I think this is the third time I have watched it and it has been so long I don't remember half of it so it is sort of like seeing it for the first time. One night I fell asleep and three episodes went by while I was sleeping! Glad to hear you are getting some much needed rain. Our grass is very green now as we have had quite a bit of rain. It looks like rain today but it probably won't rain until I go out with my camera. LOL I am still debating. I would like to ditch my cane but I am not completely sure about that yet which probably means i shouldn't. I may just go and scope out a couple of places without my camera to see if there are any flowers that are just asking for a photo op.

Enjoy your weekend.

Love,

Nancy

• hersheykiss

Nancy, "Lost" was one of my favorite TV shows. My best friend and I often talked about the mysteries of "Lost" and joked that the cast was the most attractive ensemble on television!

We just finished streaming the quirky sci-fi comedy "Resident Alien." Terry O'Quinn (John Locke) plays an extraterrestrial tracker turned cyborg. A silly departure from "Lost." :-)

• bandwoman1234

Hershey, I will have to check Resident Alien out and see if I can get it. Glad I am not the only one that loved the Lost series. Yes, the cast was really attractive. Shirtless Sawyer was not bad on the eyes even though he tried to be the mean and nasty guy. I have a concerning issue today. Yes, another one! I noticed I had an uncomfortable spot on my back behind my bra. When I looked at it today it is a bright red spot. Then today I did quite a bit of yard work with my cane handy if I needed it. I did quite a bit of weeding of some nasty weeds……….thistles mainly. I swore I would gain victory over them this spring. Well I am not claiming defeat yet but victory is not in the future unless I go with the hardcore chemicals I'm afraid.

So after working outside I thought I am going to wash my forearms and hands as far up as I could get with soap and water. Then I swear it wasn't maybe an hour or two later and one of these very red spots popped up on my arm. Not the same are arm as the cellulitis fiasco but near the same area. This area is already almost a quarter size. It is not itching like my back. I am sure I would have seen this when I washed my arms. I can't blame the spot on my back on anything outside other than just watering my flowers. So this is a mystery and I am praying this does not turn into a whole big deal. I started immediately using the steroid ointment which is prescription and I don't have a lot left. I don't want this to turn into a doctor apt as I have so much happening this coming week. I have my brain MRI on Thursday which I am concerned about since I haven't had one in two years…….the longest I have ever gone. The best scenario is the tumor is stable. Cammie has all of her shots and has to be sedated on Monday and I am bracing for not so good news on her weight. She has not been eating alot the last several days. HOA meeting, Bible study……… a full week for me.

Chris, how are you feeling? I hope the meds have knocked out the worse of your UTI.

I am returning to church after being away for a while so I need to sign off and hopefully be ready for bed not at the wee hours of the morning as I have been doing. Today was a really nice and cool day with low humidity. It feels like early fall.

Have a good night dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,331

Teka, you made me hungry!

Nancy, so happy you felt well enough to get outside and work a bit but I agree your spots are worrisome. Hopefully they will go away the next couple of days. I will be praying for good news on Thursday and that Cammie has a good visit.

My UTI has gone and I am feeling better about that. I started my lower meds dosage this morning so hopefully I have fewer side effects soon.

My DH and I usually just watch old TV shows. I watch a lot of old movies if I have the TV on during the day. I guess I am just an old soul.

• bandwoman1234

Chris, I am so glad to hear your UTI is gone and that you have started your lower dosage in your chemo. I am praying for a great result in feeling much, much a better.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234

Teka, I accidentally fall asleep when watching TV when It it late. I am not sure how to change that. This is something that has been happening lately and I am not sure why. I am glad you have figured something that helps you sleep.

I had looked up Foots many months ago and realized that she was no longer posting which as we all know is usually not a good sign. I know she struggled so much with her breathing and living alone trying to get people to help her. I can't remember the name of her latest dog she had as her therapy dog. It may have been Grace. Her one she had for years died. That was so sad.

I had a scary thing happen tonight. I had to get up very early to get Cammie to her annual physical and I was debating whether to go to urgent care for these new places on my arm and back. I felt like I was itching all over so I decided to get some oral antihisimine tablets which I started tonight. I figured it would make me drowsy so I ate, watered and then went to walgreens to get some. It was dark at this point. When coming home I turned into our subdivision and there were two cars in the middle of the street both facing the same way as I was going and they were bascially parked in the street and I couldn't get through. I waited for what I thought was a reasonable amount of time for them to move and then I honked my horn. This guy got out of the car and started walking towards my car. I imagine he had been drinking by the slow gait but it all happened quickly. He got close to me and I was no way going to roll down my window. I just shook my head backed up, turned around in a driveway and went clear around the block to get to my house. I needed to get my mail which is down the street and I could see that they were still in the middle of the street.

I got home safely in my garage and decided I would call the police but I didn't want to call 911 and tried another number and got only a recording and I hung up. Should I have called 911? How many other people could not get through because of this behavior. I am sure it was not car trouble and it was probably people having a conversation and didn't want to be interuptted whether they were blocking traffic or not.

I have never had anything like that happen in my neighborhood but you just never know what might happen.

Cammie actually gained weight which I was thrilled but NOT thrilled at the $645 bill because of all of the extra things to keep her going. She now has a skin allergy and that shot of antibiotics was a lot extra. I will say that if I ever get another pet which at my age is debatable I will buy the pet insurance. I have to wait on her bloodwork to see if her kidneys are still an issue. In cat years she is 84 now so she is the old women in the house now.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight

Nancy, I think you were right to go around…scary! If he hadn't gotten out of his car it could have been innocent, but since he did you were right to run (or in this case drive away.) How is your arm and back? Any improvement? BTW, my DH was just appointed to our HOA board. I was on the one in San Diego and now he is on this one. He is retired and a little bored so good for him. We know how much work it will be but he is up for it. I think they were impressed with the way he handled our building and landscaping approval forms and issues. Anyways he is smart about business so hopefully he can be of some help. With his connections with the local Fire Department that is a plus also.

I received my CT scan results already (yes, they are fast here and post quickly on the portal.) It appears everything is good except for some confusing language around my pancreas. ("It could be this, or that, or something else…") They also said my liver issues would show better on an MRI…I got the CT because the MRI showed something on the liver and it was suggested I needed a CT scan. Argh! I thoroughly believe the radiologists are just covering themselves and it is a game going back and forth because noone wants to commit. I will just need to wait for my oncologist to respond but I think I am good for now. I am glad since I just reduced the dosage on my Verzenio. Still don't feel any better, but maybe emotionally I will improve now. My kids want to go on a cruise for Christmas but the ship they want to book looks like a travelling amusement park and that is not my idea of fun even with my kids there. The stress of the long flight for me is also a negative. I can't commit feeling like this so I may give it a miss.

I pray everyone stays safe from the fires and rain this week. It is monsoon season here but where we live we are high and safe.

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723

Nancy, that sounds scary. I'm not sure what I would have done.

Chris, it's frustrating when out reports are so confusing, and it feel like everyone is just passing the buck. I've never wanted to go on a cruise. When I see the posts on social media with those mega ships, huge crowds, etc., I just say, "No, thank you!"

Biopsy tomorrow. I'm supposed to be there at 7:00 am. Procedure is at 8:30.

Still so tired… I did sleep better last night, but I'm so tired of this fatigue. Sorry for the pun.

Love to all,

Carol

• hersheykiss
    edited August 13

Nancy, it's very good that you drove away before that person had a chance to start an altercation. There was an occurrence of road rage in my neighborhood yesterday. Our neighbor was able to get a photo of the truck and license plate number and drove straight to the police station to file a report. Apparently this truck has been involved in other road rage incidents.

Chris, I have a friend who loves cruises but only with certain lines. The Disney cruise with the grandchildren was a one-and-done trip for her. She said it was "way too much stimulation."

Carol, praying for rest and good results tomorrow.

• bandwoman1234

Chris, hindsight is always 20/20 but I wish I would have gotten his license plates but I had no idea he was going to be a threat. I do pray that you will eventually feel better on your lower dose of Verzenio. It probably takes some time to get the prior dose out of your system. I remember in the past getting myself really upset when reading test results before my oncologist could weigh in. I pray that she will not be concerned and that you will move forward feeling much better. I hope your DH finds being on the HOA board rewarding. We have been dealing with a situation which I can't go into and it was stressful for all of us on the board. I felt like I was finally finding my stride this year on the board and hopefully doing some good.

Carol, it is exhausting dealing with fatigue. I wish I could do something for you. I can pray and I do. I will be praying for your biopsy tomorrow. I am with you on the cruise ships. No thank you.

Hershey, I guess no one is immune to erratic behavior of others. Some people have so much pent up anger. One of the ladies that has been a thorn in the HOA boards side for quite a few years was walking by my house with her dog. She admitted to me that she came on the zoom call homeowners meeting just wanting to pick a fight. Come to find out her father died unexpectedly during that time so you never know what motivates people to do the things they do. Your neighbor was smart to get the license plate number and call the police. I have been debating all day if I should call the police after the fact but they are going to say you should have called when this was happening. I didn't want my call to 911 interfere with real emergencies so I didn't.

My Bible Study was canceled tonight at the last moment so I have been debating about going to urgent care since I have a big window of opportunity. My arm is not as itchy but doesn't look great. My leg is now itching but there is nothing to see. I do need more steroid ointment so I may go just to see if I can get more of that. I am thinking this is contact dermatitiis due to working our in my yard. I was dealing with alot of different types of weeds. So we'll see. I really don't want to be on another round of antibiotics if I can help it.

Praying for you today.

Love,

Nancy

• hersheykiss

Nancy, I hope the itching has calmed down and you had a peaceful day.

Carol, praying for healing and good rest at home.

• bandwoman1234

Hershey, I ended up going to urgent care as the itching got worse. I got this one doctor who I have only had once before and I felt like he was really on the ball. He looked at the places on my arm and back and he said I know exactly what this is. He said it is cicadas mite bites………… yes from our 17 yr cicadas. They just keep on giving and giving. He said the bites are never on the legs as they eat the eggs laid in the trees and then the mites fall down on people. Lucky me. He said my bites are classic. This doctor said this is very new information that just came out last week. He gave me a new regime which I am about to pick up at the pharmacy as I just got finished with an HOA board meeting.

This doctor said I am an insect venom geek. He said run hot water on these spots for a couple of minutes and that is supposed to help with the itching. I said in July one of the doctors told me to run cold water on the spot and he said that is old news.

I didn't ask him how long this threat could be out there. I may have mentioned the secretary at the vets office told me she saw her first cicada in her flower pot. I asked if it had red eyes and it did. So those little buggers are still around.

Cammie got good news from her blood work. She gained weight and her kidney function improved. The vet just said keep doing what you are doing. I guess that means continuing to pay a fortune on her. LOL I am grateful.

Carol, I hope your biopsy went well today and I pray for a good outcome.

Off to get my meds.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight

Nancy, wow, that is some diagnosis, but at least it is not something serious. Aren't you glad the urgent care doc was current with the medical news! Your story reminds us to seek medical care and not to just let things go.

• hersheykiss

Nancy, I'm so glad that you went to urgent care. Here's hoping the medication brings much relief.

Talk about timing … You may have seen this report on your local news:

https://www.nbcchicago.com/cicadas-illinois-chicago-2024/noticing-strange-itchy-mite-bites-it-might-be-from-the-2024-cicada-emergence/3522033/

• bandwoman1234

Chris, I was shocked at this diagnosis but I was quite relieved because I was so sure it was from an allergic reaction to all the weeding I did. Now I have to decide of the four new meds I now have which ones I am going to take since I have to get up earlier than usual for my MRI. I am still having fluid on my ear so I have a couple of meds for that and a referral to an ENT. I already have an ENT but was not relishing going down another rabbit hole at this time. The steroid creme he gave me is stronger than the one I have been using so I haven't tried it yet but am hoping for a good result. I have been so fatigued and I don't know if that goes along with these bites or not. The Dr. said the rash could last up to three weeks. At least he didn't mark up my arm like last month. How are you feeling today?

Hershey, that is one of the first things I did when I got home today from urgent care was to google and see if I could find anything on these mites. I did see only part of the article you sent. Thank you for posting that. It was very helpful and it answered my question of how long could this threat of mites last. I did hear about the oak leaf mite. I don't have any oak trees but from that article it sounded like they could easily blow. I have an empty lot behind my lot and on the parkway the city has planted tiny oak trees. I don't know if the 13 yr cicadas have this same deal but I was telling my sister. She has several oak trees in their yard. I'll have to copy that link and send it to her.

That is the local news I do listen to but lately I have been watching more political news or watching Lost. LOL So I missed that report.

I am still trying to get my garbage to the curb so I have to hustle.

Love,

Nancy

• sunshine99

Nancy, how interesting! I hope you get some relief very soon.
    My biopsy went well today. I don’t remember much since I was sedated. Waiting for the results. Tonight I find myself crying. I don’t know why. I can’t eat without pain and I’m limited to about a quarter cup of whatever sounds good before my stomach starts cramping.
    I’m listening to my playlist of praise songs. They give me great comfort.
    I’m heading to bed soon, hoping for a good night’s sleep.
    Love to all,

Carol

• sunshine99

Initial report confirms mets to omentum. HR/PR/HER2 status still pending. Other comments in report I didn't understand. Something about AE1/AE3 GATA3 and mammaglobin positive. I have an appointment with my MO next Wednesday. I also got some contact info for a couple of people at UCSD.

Everyone was super nice. I don't remember much about the actual biopsy. Took two Tylenol that day, but nothing yesterday, so that's good.

I hope everyone has a great weekend.

Carol

• intolight

@sunshine99 Praying for peace and rest for you today as you process this news. Sending love and hugs.

I have an MRI specific to the pancreas scheduled for Wednesday. I am more nervous about this one than others. It is a beautiful day here so I am spending it outside on my deck watching the birds.

• bandwoman1234
    edited August 16

Carol, I am so sorry you are going through all of this. Crying is a good release. I am glad you got through your biopsy but really sad to hear your suspicions confirmed regarding mets to your omentum. I am glad that listening to your praise songs gives you comfort. You are prayed for often!!

My MRI went very well yesterday. I didn't need to fear my claustrophobia because I was so doped up on the antihistamine I had taken the night before that I was very relaxed. I will get results in 1-2 days. When the tech was walking me back to the dressing room after it was over I pulled up my sleeve and asked if she had heard about the cicada mites. She said she and her daughter both have them. I have a feeling there are many out there itching. I am not tolerating the antihistamine. They really work great on the itching but they put me to sleep well into the next day so that is not going to work.

Look at this picture for a few seconds. It gives me comfort and a reminder of this fact.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234

Chris, we must have been posting at the same time. I will be praying for your MRI for Wed. I felt led to post some scriptures on hope. I HOPE this touches your heart and all that read it.

I had to call customer service today for my internet issues. I was scammed by the agent that I spoke with. Thankfully I realized it after checking some things that he had inserted another name for my name and put his email address for mine. He told me I had not paid my last bill (untrue) and wanted me to send the money again. At that point I hung up and asked for the fraud dept. They were able to undo the change he made but knowing he could get into my account meant he worked for the company! If something doesn't feel right it probably is not.

1. Jeremiah 29:11 - “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
    2. Romans 15:13 - “May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.”
    3. Isaiah 40:31 - “But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.”
    4. Psalm 33:18 - “But the eyes of the Lord are on those who fear him, on those whose hope is in his unfailing love.”
    5. Romans 5:3-5 - “Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.”

• hersheykiss

Carol, I'm so sorry that the biopsy results were not what you hoped for but glad that you will soon have an appointment with your MO. I pray that you and your family find peace and comfort in the midst of this storm.

Chris, I hope that the imaging test provides clear understanding for your MO and reveals a normal pancreatic system.

Nancy, what a weird and distressing interaction with the ISP customer service rep. I'm glad that you quickly reported the incident. Who knows what havoc the representative is causing with other customers' accounts. You're right; if something feels "off," it probably is.

• bandwoman1234
    edited August 17

Hi everyone.

I got my MRI results back before my neurologist has seen them. 99% of it is greek to me but from what I can figure things look stable. I am thrilled with that. Another thing I was pleased with is the past many MRI's have mentioned one or more of my sinus cavities being somewhat blocked. This time no mention of that at all. Maybe last month when I was on Predisone and the protocol I am on now for my ear fluid may have actually done some good in that area.

I hope you all enjoy your weekend even in the midst of your personal storms.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight

Nancy, so happy your MRI shows stable. Now you can relax awhile. Praise God!

• bandwoman1234

Tomorrow is Faith's birthday. Some of you may know her from this forum. I sent her an ecard early and she wrote back. I wanted to share this with you and ask to pray for her. I have pasted her note to me below. For those of you who don't know her she has been Stage IV breast cancer for many, many years but has had a whole host of problems the last few years.

Dear Nancy, thank you so much for the card and prayers. The last few months have not been good. I fell in September on my face on the sidewalk. Since then I haven’t felt well and I have bad sciatica which makes me unstable and I’ve fallen a few times. So far no broken bones but it’s scary to think about.
    Please say hello to our friends on the forum and tell them I need prayers for healing. Thanks again for the birthday wishes and I pray you are well. Love and prayers for you and all on the forum. (Faith)

Carol, I just read your new blog post. Your post gives me more specific ways of praying for you. I admire your courage during this most difficult time.

Chris, we are praying for your MRI on Wed.

I made it back to church today for the first time in many weeks.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight

Nancy, when you respond to Faith again, please tell her I am praying for her.

• bandwoman1234

Chris, thank you. I am sure she will appreciate that. I will pass that along to her. I'm praying for your scans on Wed. I am also praying that you will start to feel much better on your lower dose of chemo.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight

Hi All. This is the explanation I sent to my friends and family.

I had an MRI taken at 10:00 this morning and the results are now in. (They are quick here!)  Of course I am not a doctor and don't understand most of it, but there is a little bit in the summary I understand. In summary, there are multiple lesions on both sides of the liver--this we already knew but they are clearly seen on this scan. There are also three lesions on my spine: T11, T12 and a new one on T1. There is a lesion on the pancreatic head (the reason for this scan) that is unchanged from two months ago. So, yes there is some growth. My oncologist has not called yet but I know she will in a day or two. I am relieved that it does not clearly say pancreatic cancer which is my greatest fear, but we shall see. Other than the spine, the lesions have not returned to my other bones which were the sites of my original cancer. I have had liver involvement the entire eight years so this is no surprise either. These results for me are just another entry into what I have been going through these past eight years. Every few months I get another scan and receive more mixed results we treat as needed. It is part of managing my cancer. 

I am okay. It provides an explanation as to some of why I am struggling now. I know God is walking with me on this journey and I trust Him. I shall be patient to see whatever treatments are in my future. I love you all and am blessed to have you in my life.