Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Book Lovers Club

Options

Comments

• iodine
    iodine Member Posts: 869
    edited May 2010
    Options

I have enjoyed Greg Iles books for several years.  Ever since a friend at our( now sold) beach timeshare dropped his first book on my beach chair.  His last one, The Devil's Punch Bowl, was disconcerting in the violence dept. and I didn't enjoy it as much, even with the truth of the subject.

His other books have been a joy in the mystery dept and I highly recommend his work.

• snowyday
    snowyday Member Posts: 121
    edited May 2010
    Options

What a wonderful thread.  I read, Fall on your knees, really great book.

Reading Wally Lamb right now, he wrote.  She's come undone, I know this much is true and The hour I first believed.

My favorite book ever was Mystic River, Dennis Lehane, I still wonder how managed to write that book, the movie was good but the book really stays with you.

Minette Walters she is fabulous.

Ian Rankin soooo good.

I have read so many books this past year have to look in my end tables where I stash my favorites have found so many new good Authors.  I read these books, and wish with all my heart that I had some talent. 

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 46,949
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Mystic River is a GREAT murder mystery (and I'm not usually that crazy about them), and I thought that the movie was better than 'most books to movies', of course I do really like Sean Penn so that might have had something to do with it Undecided! I find it so interesting when I read a conversation with an author and how they often say that the characters have a life of their own that the author loses control of (like 'I was so sad when _____ died' or "I was so disapointed when _____ did that."
  • goodvibesonly
    goodvibesonly Member Posts: 99
    edited May 2010
    Options

Little Bee by Chris Cleave is an awesome book.  A friend gave it to me on Friday and I read it this weekend.  We had rain all day Saturday, which was a good excuse to read on the couch with my afgan and tea. A great book. I highly recommend it.

Also read, Snow in August by Peter Hamill which is good, too.

• goodvibesonly
    edited May 2010
    Options

ruthbru--You asked about my book club. It is very new--since October, 09. I started it because I love to read and wanted to get together with friends and talk about books. We have about 13 people, not everyone comes each time. We started out hosting at people's homes.  However, several people do not want to host. So, we have moved some meetings to restaurants for drinks or dinner. I don't like this as much since it is harder to chat with everyone. But, I am going with the flow....The host picks the next book.  We don't have a theme....just try to pick a book that is not a recent one so people can get it from the library. When we do host at someone's house each person brings a dessert or appetizer and the host supplies the wine/coffee/soda, etc.... Now our group sometimes goes out for dancing, jewelry making party, etc..So, it is a time just to hang out with other women, too.  MY--your book club has been going on for SO LONG!  That is awesome.
    Jean

• goodvibesonly
    edited May 2010
    Options

Descriptions--

Little Bee is about a Nigerian girl who is a refugee in England and her relationship with an English woman.  Excellent book.

Snow in August is about an Irish American boy and a Jewish Rabbi in New York City in the 1950's. 

• ruthbru
    edited May 2010
    Options

We have 9 ladies in ours. We have kept it small so that we can fit around a dining room table (the dessert is a pretty important part of the evening Smile). It has been great because it has gotten each of us out of our reading comfort level; I've read tons & tons of books I never would have even considered. Some have been great, some not so great, but it always interesting to get someone else's point of view and if you do love a book; then it is really fun to have other people to discuss it with. And we have become great friends and a great support group for each other over the years too. Right now we are reading 'The Girl Who Played With Fire' by Stieg Larsson. It's an espionage thriller. I'm not sure if I would recommend it or not yet. Just started it & not quite sure where it is going.

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited May 2010
    Options

Just finished 13-1/2 Nevada Barr not as good as her Anna Pigeon series and I had it figured out halfway through.  Just started Caught by Harlan Coben and he wrote one of my all time favourites "Gone For Good' that was an excellent read. 

• ruthbru
    edited May 2010
    Options

Hi Cheryl!

• goodvibesonly
    edited May 2010
    Options

Ruth,

Your book club sounds great. Let me know when you get further into the espionage thriller book.  I am planning a trip to Barcelona the end of June to visit a friend. So, decided to get some novels about that area.  Read the tour books, etc, already. But thought it would be fun to read some stories about the area.

Neece--The Nine Parts of Desire sounds very interesting.  I may look to see if my library has that book!  

White Tiger is a very good book, but sad due to the issues it discusses. About the caste system in India. Definitely a book I will read again, though.

Also loved the Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein . It is told from the perspective of the dog who tells the story of his master (who is a race car driver). Great book! 

Happy Reading 

• lovemyfamilysomuch
    lovemyfamilysomuch Member Posts: 762
    edited May 2010
    Options

Love talking about books!  I just ordered "The Book Thief" from amazon--it better be good sisters! :)

• caltex_catlady
    caltex_catlady Member Posts: 8
    edited May 2010
    Options

goodvibesonly, I've read a couple of novels set in Barcelona that might interest you before your trip, if you haven't picked them up already: The Shadow of the Wind and The Angel's Game, both by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. Lots of atmosphere and history of the civil war period of the 1920s and 1930s. I also listened to the audiobook of The Shadow of the Wind (I was leading our book club discussion and wanted to hear the correct pronunciations).

Karen

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    edited May 2010
    Options

I have just ordered The Book Thief and I also loved The Art of Racing in the Rain and one of my all time favourites Dean Koontz "Watchers" just loved that book also "One Door Away from Heaven" by him.  Hi Ruth fancy meeting you here :)

• ruthbru
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Great minds think (and read) alike Cool!
  • Kyta
    Kyta Member Posts: 273
    edited May 2010
    Options

Nice to hear about all of your suggestions for books.

I just finished Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol.  If you liked the DaVinci Code and Angels & Demons, you'll also like this book. Good read.

• goodvibesonly
    edited May 2010
    Options

Karen--thanks so much for the rec about the Barcelona books. I will look for them at my library. That is what I love about this book thread!  I learn so much from other women. It is great!

I am going to get The Book Thief since I have read such good things from you ladies about that book! 

• azdiva
    azdiva Member Posts: 23
    edited May 2010
    Options

Hi Gals!

If you have a free afternoon, you can try the Sookie Stackhouse books by Charlaine Harris.  Yes, these are the ones that the HBO True Blood series is based on.  Pure decadence without any emotional effort.  The 10th in the series just came out the other day.  These books are funny (and have pretty decent "love" scenes)!

I have always loved The Princess Bride by William Goldman. Better than the movie and that is saying a lot!

I saw there was a John Irving fan up there in the posts.  Try A Prayer for Owen Meany.  That book still haunts me.  So good it will give you chills!

I have a Kindle (love it) and now have the new iPad (also love it)!  What many people don't know is that you can transfer your Kindle books to the iPad!  Books seem to be less expensive on Kindle, and now I can read them in the dark on the iPad.  I love the fact that I can have a book in my hands in 30 seconds or less!  If I read something I really like, I buy it in a hard version.  I think I will check out The Book Thief based on all of your recommendations!

Laura 

• NatureGrrl
    NatureGrrl Member Posts: 681
    edited May 2010
    Options

I just finished a couple of books:

Island Beneath the Sea, Isabel Allende, her newest book (I can't remember if anyone else mentioned this already), follows the life of a woman in slavery in the late 1700's in what will become Haiti to her freedom in New Orleans.   Beautifully written and gives a fine sense of place.  Highly recommend.

The Almost Moon, Alice Sebold, who also wrote The Lovely Bones. This story is a bit darker...the first sentences are, "When all is said and done, killing my mother came easily.  Dementia, as it descends, has a way of revealing the core of a person affected by it."  It's a haunting read for any woman who's ever had a even mildly tumultous relationship with her mother and/or has had to deal with a parent with dementia, and I was struck by the one-sentence descriptions that captured various thoughts with dead-on insight and clarity. 

I see more books to add to my list,  thanks, everyone!

Oh, and I just started Five Quarters of the Orange by Joanne Harris, the woman who wrote Chocolat, I'm anxious to see if this is as good.

PS hbcheryl, I agree, 13 1/2 wasn't up to her usual standards and was too predictable.

• NatureGrrl
    edited May 2010
    Options
    PS  author of The Book Thief, please?  My local library is showing two quite different books by different authors... Thanks!!
  • ruthbru
    edited May 2010
    Options

'The Book Thief' by Markus Zusak

I am reading a book in a triology of espionage thrillers. It is very fast moving and interesting. The books are by a Swedish author, Stieg Larsson; and are entitled "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo", The Girl Who Played with Fire" (which is the one I'm reading, I'll have to go back and catch the first) and "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest".

• NatureGrrl
    edited May 2010
    Options

Thanks, Ruth.  I placed a hold although I'm confused by the information on my library's website -- one copy is listed under Korean language materials and one is listed under Chinese language materials -- so I have a feeling I won't be able to read it :)  I'm going to look in the other local (county) library, too.

• ruthbru
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Nature, I believe that I read it in English Laughing!
  • dreaming
    dreaming Member Posts: 219
    edited May 2010
    Options

Here some authors I like: About Barcelona. Cathedral under the sea. by Ildefonso Falcones,all of Mario Vargas LLosa,Lisa Garner,Thomas Gifford,my favorite: The Children War,Green City  in the Sun by Barbara Wood. Baldacci, David Lindsey,and one of the best for spy novels: Ted Allbeury.

I belong to Literary groups on line; this way I know of international authors that are popular. Also a discussion group about Lin Yutang books.

Reading is to travel with the mind to other places, others lives.

• ruthbru
    edited May 2010
    Options

Other time periods in the past, or yet to come......

• iodine
    iodine Member Posts: 869
    edited May 2010
    Options

Just finished another mystery by Ted Bell and can recommend his books as fast paced and unusual plot lines.  sorta of a series about Mr. Hawk, but I don't find a "need" to read them in a lot of order, they stand alone.

Another good one is Steve Berry---good plots, fast moving.

I read for escape and entertainment.  So Janet Evanovich is a hoot. 

Sweet Potato Queens' Book of Love is laugh out loud , if a bit naughty.  My daughter and I, with her friends, have even been to the Parade a couple of years and had a BLAST. 

Pillars of the Earth, by Ken Follet is my all time fav and I've reread it several times, always picking up something new. 

Life of Pi, great book, not a laugh-a-thon, but supurb writing.  Insight into places you don't usually visit.

Linda Fairstein, Brad Meltzer, Jeffery Deaver, Dale Brown, Nelson DeMille, all good mystery writers in my estimation. 

We have a used book store here and just trade out with them -- excceding low cost and makes my habit a reasonable one----except when I forget to start supper!!

• jelson
    jelson Member Posts: 622
    edited May 2010
    Options

OK! brief review of two Jane Austen's Bennet family battles zombies books: I read Dawn of the Dreadfuls wriitten by Steve Hockensmith and then Pride and Prejudice and Zombies written by Seth Grahame-Smith. P&P+Z was really Pride and Prejudice with zombies inserted. A little slow going, since alot of the original Jane Austen remains and her writing is quite involved/dense. I am now inspired to reread Pride and Prejudice. Hockensmith was not constrained by the plot of a book, only by the main premise provided by G-S, so I think he had an easier time of it. I enjoyed both books immensely and would recommend them if you have a strong stomach and like to laugh while you read.  

Julie E

• Laurie08
    Laurie08 Member Posts: 2,047
    edited May 2010
    Options

What a GREAT thread!  SO happy it has been started and just as happy that I have found it.  I just skim read through most of the posts and have read a number of the books you ladies have recommended, and loved them (ie The Book Thief, Sarahs Key, Shoot The moon etc etc)  I will add a list of my favorites when I have more time but for now wanted to recommend The Double Bind by Chris Bohjalian.  One of my favorite authors.  I am reading his newest at the moment, Secrets of Eden.  I like to read a book a week, since my diagnosis I have been averaging two with the help of some insomnia :)  I needed new ideas! 

• lovemyfamilysomuch
    lovemyfamilysomuch Member Posts: 762
    edited May 2010
    Options

Laurie08,

The Double Bind was confusing!  I am still not sure I got it.  I may have to reread! :) BTW, I am not loving the Book Thief.  I love this thread too! xo Ellen

• ebann
    ebann Member Posts: 1,474
    edited May 2010
    Options

• Laurie08
    Laurie08 Member Posts: 2,047
    edited May 2010
    Options

Thats kind of why I like Double Bind, you had no idea what the ending would be.  I finished it and said holy crap!  and wanted to reread it again right away.  How about Anita Shreve?  The Pilots Wife, Fortunes Rocks.  or Jodi Picoult The Pact?