Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Latissimus Dorsi Breast Reconstruction

Comments

• Kthielen
    Kthielen Member Posts: 176

Thank you all for your feedback, I will definitely take it slow! I am in the same page with all of you on the picture forum....I have access but can't ever find anything either....I will try your link 2tabs! Also, so happy you are happy straight away with the results, it can only get better:))

Kathy

• 2Tabbies
    2Tabbies Member Posts: 927

Jo, Kthielen and anyone else with access to the picture forum, try this link. It takes you to the Under Construction area. My thread is in regular section below the the "stuck" threads at the top. It's called "At long last, things are looking better."

• Ruth7733
    Ruth7733 Member Posts: 35

Jo I saw your post a few minutes ago but didn't see the picture. So I went to the picture forum & answered you there. I wondered if you have the option of seeing a regular ps, not one who specializes in breast cancer but one who is very experienced in all areas of the body.

• leftduetostupidmods
    leftduetostupidmods Member Posts: 346

Joanne, I very much doubt anyone has a "loaf" that big. You know how big I'd say it is? About a "sue the darn surgeon" big. That is horrible, and far from what the normal "loaf" looks like. I have no idea what that butcher did to you but it's NOT normal. You need to see a REAL surgeon to fix that. One who has no connection whatsoever with your surgeon. That guy should have a "loaf" of his own in places where the sun don't shine!

Gods I'm so mad I'm shaking.

EDIT: that is not the usual "loaf" that appears after the LD flap and is there for a while until the muscle atrophies. It's some kind of mutant dog-ear. I'm trying to find my old photos to show you what the so called "loaf" looks like, it's exactly like a fat pad that extends from behind the shoulder to the breast, but by no means that defined, it's more of a swelling under the skin, like the "muffin top" over the bra you get when you're a little "fluffy".

I'm PM-ing you

• leftduetostupidmods
    leftduetostupidmods Member Posts: 346

Oh goodness that's hilarious! Yes, I've seen that before. But the alert thing is hilarious.

I don't know if you are into alternative therapies, but in regards to your slow healing issue (I know first thing that comes to mind is diabetes but I am sure they ruled that out with all the testing), did you ever consider giving Reiki a try? And I mean trying to find a REAL Reiki therapist - even in this there are a lot of frauds and self-appointed "energy healers". But real Reiki works and did help many that otherwise weren't helped by traditional medicine. There are also some herbal teas that help with healing. If you need any help on that, I used to be (seems like in another life now) an alternative therapy medical doctor so whatever I know that can be of help you only need to ask.

• 2Tabbies

Jo, I sure can't answer your question about whether anyone else has a loaf that big. Maybe it goes along with the slow healing you experience. Just a guess. I'm wondering why they gave you a flap that big. I don't blame you for not wanting more surgery. That is too funny about not being able to post that cartoon. I've seen one like. It's not only funny, but if men had to go through something like that, you know they'd have developed a better diagnostic tool. There is one area where we women have got a better deal than men - reconstruction after breast cancer versus testicular cancer. Insurance has to pay for ours. My therapist was telling me that her significant other had testicular cancer, and they wouldn't pay for reconstruction for him. You can't tell me that being without a testicle isn't as psychologically difficult for a man as having a mastectomy can be for a woman. But I digress. I hope you get an answer about your loaf. It might be worth paying for a consultation with a different plastic surgeon just to ask if he'd ever seen anything like that and why it might be so persistent.

• Warrior_Woman
    Warrior_Woman Member Posts: 819

Maybe he can use a ping pong ball for a prosthesis....just sayin'.

Here are the nipple concealers I purchased. Hollywood Fashion Silicone Cover Ups Reusable Nipple Concealers 1 Pair They claim to be hypoallergenic.

My trip to see Vinnie was rescheduled from yesterday to Tuesday because of the storm. That was nice of them to contact me so I don't lose my deposit.

I just returned home from a couple weeks in SE Asia. I brought school supplies to children in Thailand and OTC medicines to people in Laos. Suddenly my problems appear insignificant.

• 2Tabbies

Warrior, he might be able to use a ping pong ball inside clothing, and maybe there are prosthetic "balls" for all I know. But I could have used prosthetic breasts, and it just wasn't cutting it for me. At all. I don't know that this particular guy was having a big issue with it. I was just surprised. But I guess, loss of a testicle at least isn't as visible under clothing as loss of breasts except maybe in a Speedo.

Thanks for the link to those nipple covers. Since they're inexpensive, I'll probably get a pair to try just in case my lovely new nips don't shrink enough for some of my clingier shirts.

That's awesome about your trip to SE Asia. Yes, mine are truly first world problems as agonizing as they are to me sometimes. It's good to keep it in perspective if we can.

• 2Tabbies

Jo, you really are sensitive to a lot of things. I think not taking anything new is a really good plan! I had that tight feeling like a band around my rib cage where a bra band would sit for a long time. It's pretty much gone away now. I've also had burning pain like muscle being pulled away from the bone. In fact, I've been having a little of that since my surgery 2 weeks ago even though that was a relatively minor surgery. I think it's probably all part of the healing process. It's darn slow sometimes, isn't it. I hope your loaf continues to shrink.

• Warrior_Woman

Tattoos by Vinnie are done. I'll take and post pics when I have time. Anyhoo, he confirmed what we already know. When the LD surgery goes well it can be great. He said aesthetically I am in the top 1% of what he has seen. That compliment will stick with me for a good 10 years expecially considering he sees reconstructed breasts from around the country all day long. He also said that when the LD surgery goes poorly it can really mess people up. He described women he's seen who have complaints similar those posted here. He is of the opinion that the surgeon makes a huge difference. My surgeon, Steven Copit, is one he highly recommends. Interestingly, the surgeon I started with when everything fell apart is not one he recommends. My PT team had the same opinions and they too have seen surgery from both. It leaves me thinking that when someone is looking for a surgeon, good recommendations may come from the allied health professionals who work with patients after the surgery and see the aesthetic and medical results of many patients over time.

Jo - I am very sorry this has been so horrible for you. I hope in time your condition improves.

Tabbies - Thanks for taking this rotten journey with me.

• Warrior_Woman

Jo - Have you seen this thread? Between chemo and oxycodone for 8 of my 9 surgeries I am glad to be alive. Exercise, fiber and chia seeds help me to be a normal person.

• Warrior_Woman

To clarify, what I mean by getting PS referral opinions from allied health professionals is to go out of the regional affiliations for unbiased feedback. For example, I drove 9 hours round trip for my tattoos. Vinnie is affiliated with NOLA and has no connection to either of my plastic surgeons. I don't think he has ever met either of them. Neither one refers to him and each have their own tattoo artists. In other words, Vinnie has nothing to gain nor lose by expressing his opinion. His opinion is based upon the outcomes reported by the women he tattoos. Within any healthcare network or region, professionals will rarely speak negatively about anyone. They have too much to lose. They are pressured by the network policies to rave about one another. There is also no point in frightening patients or causing them to lose confidence. I traveled for my oncological breast surgeon even though everyone locally told me how fantastic my local person is. She is great. She is wonderful. They failed to mention that she is NOT an ONCOLOGICAL breast surgeon. All I knew at the time is that I wanted a surgeon with the highest level of qualifications for my BMX. Outside of my community, no one has heard of her.

After reading the troubling concerns of the LD flaps on BCO, I drilled my new PS with a million questions about whether he has encountered the reported complications. I assume he was honest with me but one never knows. I do know that he took a number of precautions that my original PS never bothered with. That was reassuring to me.

With all this said, remember where we are at the time of decision making. I don't know about anyone else but I was racked with fear and running around like a crazy person. It's amazing I made any decisions, good or bad, with all that cortisol flooding my system. We do the best we can at the time with what we have and pray for the best.

• Warrior Woman, better that than regret and suffer for the rest of your life. I admire you for keeping your cool. I was so totally out there when I got diagnosed that I didn't know how to take that thing out of me faster - and decided for immediate reconstruction without taking the time to do all the research.

• 2Tabbies

Warrior, congrats on the nipple tats. Looking forward to seeing photos. I appreciate your company through all this business too. I've got an appointment with the PS tomorrow. We'll see what he does with the necrotic area on my left nipple.

• Warrior_Woman

After 28 months of never taking off my shirt in front of my husband, we celebrate Valentine's Day.

Latissimus Dorsi Breast Reconstruction: Dr. Carla Fisher, Oncological Breast Surgeon, Dr. Steven Copit, Plastic Surgeon, Vinnie Myers Areola Tattoos, Dynamic Rehabilitation Services Physical Therapy

• fipjoemom
    fipjoemom Member Posts: 18

What a beautiful picture. You look awesome! After all you have been though, you certainly deserve it

• anothernycgirl
    anothernycgirl Member Posts: 821

WW, - you look amazing!

(I have fat grafting and nip reconstruction (with skin graft) coming up soon. I will be delighted if my results are any where near as nice as yours! )

• Warrior_Woman

Thanks fipjoemom & NYCGirl. I'm happy to be done done done! Good luck NYCG. The light is at the end of your tunnel.

• 2Tabbies

Warrior, as I said over on the picture forum, you look fantastic.

AnotherNYCG, I hope your upcoming detail work turns our great!

• Frill
    Frill Member Posts: 104

WarriorWoman: Wow.....I want to show this to my PS and say, "This, please." :) You look great and you give me some hope. It doesn't look like from your sig that you had to have radiation, though? I think that's going to be my issue. Regardless, beautiful, beautiful!!!!!!!

• Warrior_Woman

Tabbies - I finally made my way back over to the pic forum. When I was considering this surgery there really weren't any photos of it. You look fantastic, btw. I think it's important to help other women who are where we were. I was glad to see you over there.

Frill - Thank you. I am happy with the results. I did not have radiation. I ended up with the LD Flaps as my only option after I developed an infection. Before I saw my current PS, my skin was literally stuck to my ribs. I needed to go to PT for months before even having the LD surgery and then for months afterwards. I think the LD Flaps normally turn out looking very good but people have reported problems. I always recommend getting a surgeon VERY experienced with LD flap surgery and getting PT.

• anothernycgirl
    anothernycgirl Member Posts: 821

Thank you for the good wishes WW and 2 T!

Frill, - I had radiation which was the reason the first reconstruction try didnt work and LD was the only option. Even now, with FG a few days away, my PS said "I wish you didnt have radiation.." , - well, ME TOO! =/

WW, - Does your PS do tattoo work? I know that you went to Vinnie, but wondering if your PS was 'insulted'? I know that someone in my ps's office does do tattoo, but I think I'd rather go to Vinnie!

• Madison4568
    Madison4568 Member Posts: 44

Hello everyone,

I am finally scheduled for LD Flap reconstruction on May 2 at University of Michigan with Dr. Momoh. I am nervous for the outcome. I meet with my PS on 4/1 and I want to know if there are any questions I need to ask. I have seen some people on here that have ellipse flaps and some have round, do round flaps work if you have had radiation? Also I think I prefer round implants to anatomical implants....any input? I feel like anatomical have too much droop for my age (24) I would like a more full round appearance without looking like grapefruits. My PS prefers round also but did not specify brand, does it make a difference?

Thank you for any information you can give me!

• Warrior_Woman

NYCG - My PS does have a tattoo guy who comes in and the staff tells me he does great work. HOWEVER, I don't think his website compares to Vinnie's. Don't select someone to do work on your body for the sake of not hurting your doctor's feelings. Nobody has to live with the results except you. My PS has a strong enough ego. I'm sure this won't crush him.

Madison - Ask your PS about his experience with LD flaps. Ask him if it is what he recommends for you or another surgery option and why? Ask him what his rate of LD surgery is without complications. Ask what is the most common complication. Ask what happens in the unfortunate event this surgery fails. Ask him if he does the round or ellipse flaps. I don't know if radiation matters. I have the round implants and I left the decision completely up to my PS. I simply described what I preferred my boobs to look like. I asked for "perky". At 54 yo I haven't seen perky in a long long time. As I was gradually expanded, I got to determine the size. However, the bigger you go the more you need to develop your back muscles to support them. Ask if he refers for PT and if the PT specializes in LD flaps or at least reconstruction. Ask absolutely everything you need to ask to feel confident with your decision. I normally show up at all appointments with a long list of written questions. I bring 2 copies. One for each of us. My docs know to expect it.

• Madison4568

WW- Thank you for your advice! I have been going to OT for lymphedema and she works on my scars as well while I'm there. I also went to PT after my double mx and will definitely go again after LD flap surgery. I am so curious about the round versus ellipse skin paddle and what are the determining factors.

• I couldn't give you advice on round vs ellipse as I had skin sparing and no radiation, but with the LD flap you don't have to worry about them looking like grapefruits even if the round implant is used. I have round Mentors high profile and, despite all the other issues I have due to this surgery I have to admit that the breast reconstruction itself is fabulous and looks very natural. I also have an Alloderm sling (internal bra) and that makes them not jiggle around very much and except for transparent or thin fabric for tops, makes me not need a bra ever. The PS placed the LD at the bottom of the reconstructed breast so the bottom is fuller than the top, but the top is still full enough to look pretty in low-cut tops. I am not as brave as WW to post my naked foobs but you can still get the idea from this pic.

• Madison4568

You look great Seachain as well as WW! I hope I get great results too and put this behind me! :)

• nash
    nash Member Posts: 146

Warrior Woman--you look amazing. I'm glad you had such great results.

Could you summarize what sorts of things your PT did for you? My surgery was nine months ago, and I've been in PT for seven months so far. I'm making some progress, but it is slow.

• Warrior_Woman

Madison - I agree with Seachain...They'll never look like grapefruits with LD flaps. For that reason I don't think the choice of implants is that big of a deal.

Nash - I did a LOT of PT and at times I thought it would never end. I started PT several months before surgery to build certain back muscles and release the skin that was glued to my chest. (Unbelievable!) I went 3 xs per week and continued for quite a few months after surgery. I've always been a gym person but the focus seemed to be more with the muscles around the LDs. I used to have a print out of my daily exercises and now I cannot find them anywhere. After putting heating pads on me they would also manipulate my arms for ROM. They also massaged the scars to break-up scar tissue. I did some weight bearing exercises but the majority was with the bands. It was a lot of pulling on the bands in different directions. I was told it was for posture and ease of support. I also do a LOT of stretching. I do not know how I would be without the PT but I assume it is a major factor in my successful outcome. I have all my strength, full ROM, no discomfort and no limitations. My PTs specialized in reconstructive surgery. What are you working on at this point?

• nash
    nash Member Posts: 146

Thanks for the reply, WW. When PT started out, it was mainly gentle yoga stretches, rib manipulation, myofascia release and lymphatic massage. Once a week, but I stretch daily. My ribs, clavicle and scapula are stuck (I had a uni mx/lat flap). I also see a physiatrist, who mainly works on unsticking the scapula and general kinetic chain issues.

This past week I decided I needed something more aggressive, so we started the Graston Technique on my back scar. My fascia is very tight above the scar in the back, and on my chest. We also started more aggressive PT exercises with a foam roller which the PT said are more orthopedic in nature (lying on the roller, arching one's back over it, etc). We also started some band exercises, mainly focusing on keeping my front ribs back while engaging my scapula. These new exercises plus the one Graston session so far seem to be helping a bit.

My torso was basically very jacked up from this surgery. I had a lumpectomy in 2007 with radiation and a chest wall boost, which probably didn't help the situation. I have also been a competitive figure skater for 40 years, which really didn't help, and probably hurt, the situation, as my upper back is very, very strong and tight from the skating. My primary complaints are iron bra plus the back incision pulling like crazy. My intercostal muscles also seem to be in constant spams, unrelieved by muscle relaxers, either oral or compounded.

I'm encouraged to hear that you are pain/discomfort free. My surgeon flat out told me I didn't need PT other than the exercises they give you in the hospital, can you imagine?