Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Calling all TNs

Comments

• LoveMyVizsla
    LoveMyVizsla Member Posts: 526
    edited June 2017

Some info from this year's ASCO conference:

https://tnbcfoundation.org/asco2017/

• DiV
    DiV Member Posts: 148
    edited June 2017

6feetover thank you! I just try to keep moving forward.

Cathytoo thank you too! I refuse to let cancer win!

Today was a good day a little too hot but nice. Took mom to breakfast for her birthday. We both love our dogs so i got her a card about digs and when you open it up it starts barking. When i went to sign it i had to open it and my dogs heard the card barking and it set my dogs off barking. I had to laugh it was funny!

MikeW your painting is beautiful!

Happy Father's Day!

• mike3121
    mike3121 Member Posts: 280
    edited June 2017

Thanks people for liking my drawing. Of the butterfly's that circle the drawing one is made up. Can you spot it?

• BanR
    BanR Member Posts: 238
    edited June 2017

hi everyone

Trouble again.

I am pregnant. Unplanned though. In discussions with doc. What i could make out is although some women do concieve after cancer treatment and make it ahead but there is not enough data for young triple negative cancer survivors who are at a higher age and pregnant in the 5 year period.

I already have a daughter and this is my second pregnancy.

One option is take it ahead and hope for the best. Second option is to not take it ahead and not trigger any other potential cause of cancer recurrence. Pregnancy brings changes into the breast tissue and other hormones etc in the body and there is not enough data to arrive to the conclusion on how safe or unsafe it is for tnbc survivors.

Stuck in this bargain. To bring another person into this world and risk both the kids losing their mother or to not bring another person and not add further risk factors into my already elevated risk of getting breast cancer again.

Husband doesn't want to add more risk into my already uncertain life. He is happy being a dad to one.

All inputs will be appreciated.

Which risk to opt for?

• anothernycgirl
    anothernycgirl Member Posts: 821
    edited June 2017

Ban, - I understand your predicament and I feel for you. However, this is a very personal choice, and should be yours, along with your husband, alone. You will find staunch opinions about this issue that may, or may not, be the right answer for you. Speak with your oncologist and ob/gyn, and second and third opinions from other drs. After speaking with medical professionals, trust your own judgement!

• navymom
    navymom Member Posts: 842
    edited June 2017

((((BanR))) Wishing you peace no matter how you choose to proceed.

• Cathytoo
    Cathytoo Member Posts: 394
    edited June 2017

Question for all: How often are you getting mammograms?

• vlh
    vlh Member Posts: 773
    edited June 2017

DiV, it sounds like you're adapting well to a challenging situation. Super! I hope insurance will help with modifying your vehicle.

BanR, what a terrible decision to have to make and with so little information to guide you. I'm very sorry that you are faced with this dilemma.

Lyn

• anothernycgirl
    anothernycgirl Member Posts: 821
    edited June 2017

Div, - You truly are amazing!

• adagio
    adagio Member Posts: 713
    edited June 2017

I get a mammogram every year.

• 6feetover
    6feetover Member Posts: 97
    edited June 2017

@Cathytoo: Mine are yearly, with automatic ultrasound following.

It just dawned on me that I forgot my 2nd cancerversary on the 15th! Singing

• meadow
    meadow Member Posts: 998
    edited June 2017

DiV, you are an amazing person, it is an honor to know you! I am doing good, thanks so much for asking. I am healed up, feeling like myself for the first time in 6 months. I was a very reluctant Lat Flap patient...but I admit, it was a good thing. Strength is returning to that side, and the shape of my new boob, made from my back tissue, is ok. So it was a success!

BanR, Another has given you sound counsel. I can only speak to what my own heart says, and that is perhaps this child is a great blessing. Only saying this as you did open this for us to respond. Big hugs as you search for the answer.

Annie, how are you?

Hugs to the newbies, and the lurkers!

• amw5
    amw5 Member Posts: 74
    edited June 2017

I haven't posted in a while, and I just wanted to check in. I hope everyone is doing ok. I'm currently doing radiation therapy treatment. I have 4 more treatments to go. I will be following up with my MO once I'm done so we can discuss my next steps.

DIV - I agree with everyone here. You ARE amazing.

(((hugs))) to everyone.

• LoveMyVizsla
    LoveMyVizsla Member Posts: 526
    edited June 2017

Cathytoo, every six months, as I am still less than two yrs from diagnosis. However, because of my dense tissue, I'm having an MRI every other six months, instead of a mammo.

• Valstim52
    Valstim52 Member Posts: 833
    edited June 2017

HI Cathytoo, I get mammograms once yearly as long as both the 3d and ultrasound are clear. Blood work is once yearly now, but the first year it was almost every three months. I had a limited set of blood work in March and will have more in August. Right now as long as I have no 'symptoms' then no scans. They told me due to my intense rads, and having rads 25 years ago for bc, then they will only scan me if I have symptoms. When first diagnosed I had a Pet Scan, then when hospitalized after first chemo, I had a brain ct, bone scan, then in August due to my stroke I had brain, chest and spine MRI. Oh boy.

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    edited June 2017

Hi everyone I haven't posted for ages but wanted to share that I had my first annual mammogram and it came back clear with no evidence of disease. I am so very relieved.

DiV keep going girl, you are amazing. Meadow I'm so glad you are feeling better, you've had such a tough time BanR I'm so sorry for your dilemma. My advice is to think very carefully and do what you truly want to do. Only you can decide what will be best for you and your family.

I'm worried about Cocker too.

Hugs to everyone else. Marsha, how is it going, do you still have your daughter living with you? I've lost track a bit as I've been really busy! XX

• simplelife4real
    simplelife4real Member Posts: 341
    edited June 2017

Cathy, I get a 3d mammo every 6 months (I have dense breasts and I'm 3.75 years out).

DIV, I'm amazed at you planting all those plants! I hope your insurance issues and your phantom pain get better quickly.

BanR, I agree with the advice that your decision is a very personal one that only you and your husband can make. Getting a second (or third opinion) from a cancer doc that understands TNBC is great advice too if you are still on the fence about what to do. My heart goes out to you.

We just got back from a 24 day cruise to Scandinavia, Scotland, England, Germany, Estonia and Russia. I loved every minute of it. It's our second big trip this year. (We spent a month in Australia, NZ and Fiji over the winter.) Having cancer makes me realize that I don't want to put off doing things while our health is good.

Wishing the best for everyone here...particularly those that are in active treatment right now.

• Cathytoo
    edited June 2017

How do you count your cancerversary? From the day of diagnosis, surgery or when treatment is over?

• susie_2017
    susie_2017 Member Posts: 142
    edited June 2017

Cathytoo. I'm counting my anniversary as the day I was diagnosed. However, an anniversary for when the treatment is over sounds good too but I'm thinking mine may be the same date!!

• Warrior2016
    Warrior2016 Member Posts: 47
    edited June 2017

I just had my survivorship appointment yesterday and was told my anniversary was the day treatment ended. That's the day I count for getting to my 5 years cancer free. I had neo-adjuvant chemo and then surgery so my date is April 6th. I am on chemo now but it is just my "insurance" because I have a very high risk for recurrence so that doesn't count as it is not for treatment..

• simplelife4real
    simplelife4real Member Posts: 341
    edited June 2017

Doctors (and medical studies) use the date of diagnosis as the start date for survival statistics.

• jcpriest0469n
    jcpriest0469n Member Posts: 63
    edited June 2017

I asked my chemo doctor the same question. It from date of discovery. I thought it was after the all clear.

• lookingforward66
    lookingforward66 Member Posts: 148
    edited June 2017

Hello all,

As stated many times I don't post much but read every few days.

Now for my news. Yes Scotbird, my daughter & her family are still with my husband & me at our home. Though currently she is in U.K. with grandson to visit in-laws. Father in law has met prostate cancer, stage 4. Son-in-law here for working, of course.

Now for not so good news. I am 90% sure I have mets to bone & colon. Test currently being started. Blood work & ultrasound to abdomen. Have vials for stool collection for colon. I am losing weight. Have all symptoms of bone mets plus colon. More pain as day progresses. In legs, arms & lower back. Nights bad. Low degree temp at night & lots of leg pain. Sleep very hard. Will have some type of scan soon, not sure of kind as can't take contrast on CT. If it is mets, not much I can do as can't take chemo.

This is my thoughts. I think year four is the most critical. As my scan at beginning of year four was clear. ( December 26th was my cancerversary) Last December was my start of year 4. So in middle of it this starts. Not much I can do. So I go with the Lords plan. Please keep me in your prayers.

Best to all,

Love, Marsha

• susie_2017
    susie_2017 Member Posts: 142
    edited June 2017

lookingforward You are in my prayers!!

• mike3121
    mike3121 Member Posts: 280
    edited June 2017

Lookingforward66.

My wife's ER+ turned triple negative and has numerous small mets to spine. She's been on Xeloda for last 3 months and is due for a PET scan soon. Nail biting time for sure. My wife had a near fatal reaction to Taxol and to Neulasta (a bone strengthener). She's on Zometa, a bone stregenther, now with expected SE's. The point is, allergic to all chemo? There must be a couple dozen chemo's out there and triple negative only responds to chemo, radiation and operations.

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    edited June 2017

Oh Marsha I'm so so sorry to hear your news. I'm sending a ton of love and cosmic hugs. I hope you can get some good relief for your pain at night. Keep looking forward... and take good care of yourself. Keep us posted XX

• Cathytoo
    edited June 2017

Marsha - Looking Forward...I am praying for you.

• DiV
    DiV Member Posts: 148
    edited June 2017

Looking forward you are in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us posted. I'm in your pocket sending hugs!

Simple Life your cruise sounds wonderful glad you had a great time!

I had my CT scan Friday. The doctor called me Friday evening he said he only had the results from neck and abdomen. Doctor said that those results looked clear. I have access two my results and as reading the results it says on the next scan that there is a mass in my chest wall. The doctor knows that I read my results and had to have known that I would see that it states about the chest wall Mass. I will probably get the results from the chest scan Monday. I'm praying that the mass is scar tissue. See the doctor Tuesday. I'm really nervous after all I've been through.

• trishyla
    trishyla Member Posts: 698
    edited June 2017

DIV,

Oh, sweetie, I'm so sorry to hear you have to spend your weekend worrying! Hopefully it will all be for nothing, and your doctor will give you the all clear.

And you're right, you have been through so much. And you've done it with grace and courage. Please know that you are an inspiration to so many of us triple negatives. I know I wouldn't have handled it nearly so well.

Big hugs and warm wishes for good results on Monday..

Trish

• Batesburg
    Batesburg Member Posts: 114
    edited June 2017

Div,

Praying for you. May you find some peace today to get you through to good news (thinking after all your surgery that there has to be scar tissue and inflammation big time) tomorrow.

Janet