Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Calling all TNs

Comments

• Abloorable
    Abloorable Member Posts: 15
    edited September 2017

it really is a gorgeous place - I love it xx

• AgathaNYC
    AgathaNYC Member Posts: 317
    edited September 2017

Hello, everyone.

Abloorable I'm going to try to follow your example. it would be great if I could have a fraction of your spirit.

I'm a little down because my MRI results came back and said that the tumor has grown into the muscle, but the surgeon says it is at a superficial level and the neoadj chemo might pull it back so she won't need to remove muscle. On the upside, according to Monday's ultrasound my axillary nodes are clean. She doesn't think there will be major removal there, either.

Met with the genetics counselor today - get those results in 3 weeks. I'm really having a hard time deciding if I want a prophylactic mast on my healthy breast or not. Both my oncologist and surgeon seem like they don't think it's a good idea but haven't come right out and said it.

Best to all!

• vlh
    vlh Member Posts: 773
    edited September 2017

Agatha, I hope the chemo shrinks your tumor enough to avoid muscle involvement. If I had it to do over again, I sometimes think I should have gone the mastectomy route; however, then I read about some ladies who have really struggled with tissue expanders or implant issues and think not. So many difficult decisions with no truly "right" answers, darn it! :-(

Keep us posted...

Lyn

• vl22
    vl22 Member Posts: 471
    edited September 2017

VLH - I also sometimes question not getting a mastectomy. My TN tumor was hiding behind the biopsied ER+ tumor and wasn't found until surgery. I went back to BS and asked if I should get a masectomy now and he said no. The majority of the time I am confident in my decision. I admit I did not want to part with my breast. Some of my family questioned my decision, as if I wasn't throwing everything at this cancer. As if! It is just so hard and personal and our decisions need support. This place is great for that.

• Abloorable
    edited September 2017

Hey Agatha we all have our days precious lady! I trust my doctors know what they are doing. I'm risk averse myself so I take the precautionary measures - while I didn't have your situation - I wanted a double mastectomy but my Dr told me I'd be fine with the extreme lumpectomy - lol it's ok -- but once all of this is over ---- for my health and peace of mind - I may do a double M - minimal reconstruct... it's such a personal choice xxx it's good to speak with others who have done both and get as much info as you can - wishing you peace of mind and happiness always

• Trisha-Anne
    Trisha-Anne Member Posts: 1,661
    edited September 2017

Agatha, I first had bc seven years ago - I had both lobular and ductal. The ductal was triple positive. Because I had two cancers in different quadrants of my breast a mx was the only way to go. I asked my breast surgeon to remove both breasts, and he wouldn't do it.

Five years after that first bc I developed triple negative bc in my "healthy" breast. I was so angry with my breast surgeon - I wanted that breast removed five years previously and he wouldn't do it, so I was facing another big battle.

Everyone is different. I now have both breast gone, and I chose not to have any sort of reconstruction. I also rest easier knowing that with both breasts removed, my risk of it coming back in the breast area is drastically reduced. I understand I still have some breast tissue left - they can't get it all.

As I said - everyone is different, and only you can make your choice. Sometimes it's a hard decision, and sometimes it's easy Sad You have to be happy with whatever decision you make.

((((hugs))))

Trish

xoxox

• PeggySull
    PeggySull Member Posts: 368
    edited September 2017

I am about to celebrate my 5 year cancerversary in December. However this has been overshadowed by my 11-year-old grandson being diagnosed with high-risk Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemei (ALL). I am extremely close to him emotionally. I am a wreck.

His chemo treatment makes mine look like a walk in the park. There is a high probability he will also need a bone marrow transplant and radiation, although that decision will be made middle of October. I am beside myself. Trying to take one day at a time. He is exactly the wrong type of kid to get this. He is highly physically active and has been highly social since toddlerhood. He will be homeschooled as soon asap but has to stay away from groups of kids or enclosed spaces such as movies or restaurants. He is being brave and positive.

Please pray for Jack.

Peggy Sul

• navymom
    navymom Member Posts: 842
    edited September 2017

Oh, Peggy, my heart just sank as I read your post. But the tears came when I read the name of your sweet grandson. I, too, have a grandson named Jack. I call him my Jackie boy. Sending love and Prayers for Jack and your entire family.

• AgathaNYC
    AgathaNYC Member Posts: 317
    edited September 2017

Dear PeggySull - I will think of Jack as I say my prayers tonight. He has a strong, brave grandmother to inspire him and I'm sure you do.

Thanks everyone for supporting me as I try to figure out re: mastectomy. I think I have to have another real talk with my oncologist about chances of recurrence of ILC triple neg. She doesn't like to talk rates, percentages, etc. since all patients are different. I need more information.

All the best to everyone.

• anothernycgirl
    anothernycgirl Member Posts: 821
    edited September 2017

PeggySull, - I, too, send BE WELL wishes to Jack! You have shown your strength, and now you will see that Jack is just as strong, - and has youth on his side to help even more!!

• anothernycgirl
    edited September 2017

PeggySull, - I, too, send BE WELL wishes to Jack! You have shown your strength, and now you will see that Jack is just as strong, - and has youth on his side to help even more!!

• Cathytoo
    Cathytoo Member Posts: 394
    edited September 2017

Peggy Sul...I also have a grandson, Jack, who I love dearly. Your news made my heart break. We are able to handle our own health issues with strength. But, when problems hit our grandchildren, that's another situation. I will pray for your Jack as I would for mine, that he will be surrounded by love and support and come out on the other side healthy and ready to live a wonderful long life. 🙏🙏🙏🙏❤️❤️❤️

• vlh
    vlh Member Posts: 773
    edited September 2017

Peggy, you must be sick with worry. I'm sorry that your family is facing this incredibly difficult situation.

Lyn

• PeggySull
    PeggySull Member Posts: 368
    edited September 2017

Thanks for all the caring responses! I really needed those prayers and empathy and encouragement. Your responses meant the world to me.

Last night I learned the the "cancer club" of a neighboring high school are going to give Jack the VIP treatment in honor of pediatric cancer month. How wonderful these teens give their time for cancer patients and that Jack will have the first positive experience since his ordeal started earlier this month. I can't wait to hear about it!

Again, thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Pegg

• DiV
    DiV Member Posts: 148
    edited September 2017

PeggySull so sorry to hear about your grandson. I'm sure he sees how strong of a fighter you are and he will fight just as hard. Prayers

Got results from my ct scan. All clear...yah

• trishyla
    trishyla Member Posts: 698
    edited September 2017

Yay DIV! Congrats on the clean scans. And on getting to drive again. (Saw that on another thread).

Glad to hear you're doing so well.

Trish

• Batesburg
    Batesburg Member Posts: 114
    edited September 2017

Peg, the human spirit is amazing and I bet your grandson, Jack, has a full dose of love and encouragement from family and friends. I'm putting all I can into sending him positive energy and I'm betting he's gonna pull through this and become an even more amazing individual and with this experience he is going to "move mountains" in giving back to others!!!!

• Batesburg
    edited September 2017

YAY, Div!!! SOOOO happy for you.

• anothernycgirl
    edited September 2017

YAYYYY DiV!!

• jojobird
    jojobird Member Posts: 99
    edited September 2017

Peggysull, I am late to this but am sending prayers to your grandson, and celebrating your clean scans. Woot!!

• Abloorable
    edited September 2017

Wise advice Trisha-Anne and exactly the reason I was happy to have a double mx - now I'm in the same boat as you.... ticking time bomb... x

• ALHusband
    ALHusband Member Posts: 342
    edited September 2017

Any of you ladies ever get a red spot that itches on your breast. My wife has one now that we fear could be IBC. It's pink and a little bigger than a silver dollar and it's on the oroginally affected breast. Any thoughts? Headed to the Onc on Monday. Closed today.

• navymom
    navymom Member Posts: 842
    edited October 2017

No experience with this, Al.Husband. Glad to hear she is seeing the Onc tomorrow. Sending positive thoughts... Please update when you can.

• anothernycgirl
    edited October 2017

AlHusband, - in the mean time, has she tried an over the counter cortisone cream? My ob/gyn often suggests that for skin related issues and if it doesnt help to then see dr. I hope it's nothing serious and clears up quickly!

• jenjenl
    jenjenl Member Posts: 409
    edited October 2017

AL, hope the appt goes well today! Keep us posted

• SA8PG
    SA8PG Member Posts: 280
    edited October 2017

Prayers Al.. Don’t know about this either. Thinking of you all today.

• ALHusband
    edited October 2017

Thanks all. Seeing Onc at 1pm central today. Praying it's nothing.

• Batesburg
    edited October 2017

Hello Al....could be something with her implant rather than BC?? I have heard of this before and has turned out to be simply irritation.

Prayers here.

• ALHusband
    edited October 2017

Batesburg I hadn't considered that. Thank you

• karentwriter
    karentwriter Member Posts: 113
    edited October 2017

Congratulations Peggy and at the same time, I'm so sorry about your grandson. Many prayers. He sounds like a fighter!