Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Calling all TNs

Comments

• greenae
    greenae Member Posts: 246
    edited December 2017

hi dark 13

I posted my chemo tips, gathered from so many friends on this site. I hope they help. Chemo is a major PIA, but it is doable and you will get through it. Rest when you can and try to eat small frequent meals. The 2 tips that helped me most were drinking plenty of fluids and getting some exercise each day. Don’t hesitate to come here with questions, everyone is so helpful. I hope your side effects are few.

Sending warm hugs to all in treatment, and a Happy New Year to all on here!

PS. Three years ago today was my “rotten” TNBC mammo. With the help of all of my medical team, family and friends, I am feeling fine...Life is Good. Thank you to all of you here on BCO. I keep this attachment in my phone. THREE YEARS! So grateful to be here!

HUGS! Arleneimage

• Cathytoo
    Cathytoo Member Posts: 394
    edited December 2017

Hi Dark...the chemo tips posted above are excellent. I have two tips to add that made my chemo side effects to a bare minimum. DRINK, DRINK, DRINK‼️ WALK, WALK, WALK‼️ For some reason my “go to” snack was vanilla bean ice cream every night. I drank Smart Water which has electrocytes. Good luck. Before you know it, all this will just be a memory

• JJ62
    JJ62 Member Posts: 36
    edited December 2017

Hey Dark- Hang in there! It is doable. Arlene's list is super! Ditto for Cathytoo's tips. Flush that stuff through your system! Very very important! And walk- get out and move! I am 8 years out (today) from my diagnostic mammogram!

Happy New Years Everyone!

• meadow
    meadow Member Posts: 998
    edited January 2018

Dark, yes, Arlene has posted great stuff. As Cathy says, drink a lot of water, eat as you can. When diagnosed I remember joking with my Oncologist that now I might lose those pesky 10 pounds I wanted to lose, he said most women gain 10 pounds, due to steroids and inability to get in exercise. I say this so you will not worry about eating. Eat healthy, and when you need a snack, have one. Walk in the driveway when you feel you can. I did not struggle with nausea during treatment, and hope you do not either. My best to you! I was a Sept 2013 chemo girl...you are on the same calender path as I was!

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    edited December 2017

Happy New Year TN sisters! I ish everyone a happy healthy and joyful 2018. XXX

• mkn86
    mkn86 Member Posts: 129
    edited December 2017

happy new year everyone! :) love joy and strength to each of you here.

• Cathytoo
    edited December 2017

I hope that this new year washes away our worries, fears, andpain and restores us to good health living fulfilled long lives surrounded by those we love. HAPPY NEW YEAR MY BRAVE AND STRONG “SISTERS". ❤️❤️

• Batesburg
    Batesburg Member Posts: 114
    edited December 2017

Beautiful pic, Cathy! Love and strength to all of you in 2018 and beyond.

• vl22
    vl22 Member Posts: 471
    edited December 2017

Happy New Year!!!!Even though 2017 was my cancer diagnosis and treatment, I had many wonderful times with family and friends. When diagnosed in May I told my husband I wish Icould sleep through the rest of the year. I’m glad I didn’t .

Thanks to all for the support and respect. We couldn’t do it alone.

• aterry
    aterry Member Posts: 142
    edited January 2018

Happy New Year and best wishes for a 2018 full of good news. Cathy, thanks for the new year beach image. Stay warm, Teka. Mandy your mom meant so much to everyone in the forum. I wish your family the continued happiness you've shared with her. Among the many things I learned from her was the term 'in my pocket'. I truly love that expression. I'm keeping you in mine.

• anothernycgirl
    anothernycgirl Member Posts: 821
    edited January 2018

Sending wishes to all my friends here for a HEALTHY and Happy 2018!

With smiles and hugs from chilly NYC! ;)

• Cathytoo
    edited January 2018

Has anyone been told this by your MO or have you read this? Sugar causes a recurrence if you had TN Breast Cancer. I eat so much sugar and can’t seem to stop. Addicted‼️ I asked my oncologist and all she said was “Sugar isn’t your friend.” Opinions or feedback?

• aterry
    edited January 2018

Last year I did a Coursera program about breast cancer by Anees Chagpar. I got an email today that the course has an update regarding staging. There is a new approach to staging called AJCC 8th Edition. Below is a link for a video about the update. The link doesn't allow you to see the whole clip--you have to sign up for the course to do that. But you can get an idea of how the changes might affect the staging category that you are in. http://bit.ly/2EE5mdG

• aterry
    edited January 2018

Cathy, I've heard that sugar is a big problem. I haven't done research (which is lame) but I've heard or read it so many times that I've taken it to heart. I've cut back quite a bit but have not been able to cut sugar out entirely. For one thing, I'm an excellent baker and dh is frustrated if I don't do some baking. One of the few positive outcomes of chemo was that it dulled my sweet tooth a little. If a treat is very sugary it no longer tastes good. That helped me loose weight during treatment. I don't know if by sugar the researchers mean all sweeteners. Can one have honey? I think honey has some positive aspects that refined white sugar does not but maybe it's still a big problem for cancer patients. I don't use artificial sweeteners at all.

• AgathaNYC
    AgathaNYC Member Posts: 317
    edited January 2018

Cathytoo - Yes, my MO explained to me how glucose feeds cancer cells. During my first consult with my MO she requested I go on modified ketogenic diet (basically, no sugar or simple starch - even fruits were to be whole fruits, nothing baked, dried, smoothies, etc.) However she didn't say it was specific to TNBC. Sadly I wasn't able to keep up with it. It was just too restrictive. Comfort food is my emotional crutch and I couldn't do without it during chemo (and this new scary world I've found myself in.)

I watched a good TED Talk on YouTube about the subject. If I can find it again I'll post the link.

• Cathytoo
    edited January 2018

Agatha...I am probably a “dead woman walking”‼️ I love sugary things. Every day I eat a candy bar. Some days I eat I ice cream...other days it will be cake. I can’t say my diet has been good since my diagnosis. But, at least I eat no red meat or fried foods. I wish I could break the sugar habit

• anothernycgirl
    anothernycgirl Member Posts: 821
    edited January 2018

SadI get nervous when I read/hear about no sugar, no this, no that..... It;s impossible to give up everything that is suggested! Perhaps as the old saying goes, - everything in moderation!

Life is to live, - and enjoy, too!!

• sam0623
    sam0623 Member Posts: 67
    edited January 2018

Cathytoo,

I met with an integrative medicine Dr at MD Anderson while I was there 2 months ago to discuss some of the lifestyle changes I have made since my diagnosis. I exercise very regularly (between and hour-hour and a half a day) and try to eat a very low fat diet. Since diagnosis I have lost about 30 lbs (which was close to 20% of my body weight) and honestly feel better than I have in a long time. We talked a lot about diet and supplements and she did tell me sugar doesn't specifically feed cancer cells, sugar feeds all cells. She said I should avoid excess sugar because there are no health benefits and it actually takes away from other foods you eat. The way she explained it to me (and I apologize because I am no dietian) is if you were to eat a healthy meal with lots of fruits and vegetables and then follow it with something like a large piece of cake, that cake doesn't have the nutrients your body needs to metabolize it, so it steals them from the healthy meal you ate. So not only did you not get anything from the cake, but you also got less nutrients from the fruits and vegetables because sugar doesn't have in it what your body needs to process it. That being said she didn't specificaly rule out any foods and told me although there are studies to show certain foods are preventative for cancer (broccoli, blueberries, green tea) there is no one food that feeds cancer like there is no one food to eliminate it. They encourage a plant based diet which is going to naturally be low in sugar. She said no supplements, you should get all your vitamins and nutrients from food (except for vitamin d). Less than 18 oz of red meat per week (not just beef, pork as well) and minimal processed meats (hot dogs, lunch meat, etc.). All this being said, she said moderation is key. You have to live your life, so all or nothing just isn't going to work. She said most importantly, I needed to maintain my current weight and exercise regularly (150 minutes a week).

• aterry
    edited January 2018

Thanks Sam0623 for the information you gleaned. My strategy for trying to limit sugar is to eat fruit when I get a sweet craving. I sure hope fruit if OK because if not I'm in trouble. I truly hate kale. I can manage a couple of servings of broccoli or brussel sprouts a week but kale makes me gag. I also try to focus my indulgences on things I like that I think are OK, such as blue berries, olives, nuts. I give myself lots of those.

I probably do worse with the meat admonition than the sugar. DH feels deprived if we don't have meat and he feels judged if I eat a smaller portion than he does. But we're working on these things.

• Flynn
    Flynn Member Posts: 208
    edited January 2018

My dr has a similar view to what Sam0623 learned at MD Anderson. I’m trying to move my diet to be more plant based and to avoid processed foods as much as feasible. Not planning to give up wine when I go out to dinner or stop having all treats! Right now I’m being pretty strict because I’m trying to lose weight that I put on during treatment.

The ironic thing for me is that for the 3 years prior to diagnosis, my husband & I followed a high protein, low carb diet and I was really good about exercising. I was probably in the best shape & definitely consuming the least sugar of my life and boom, really big tumor. I don’t discount lifestyle, tho and I’m going to try to balance quality of life with being conscientious. At this point, peace of mind is my biggest goal.

• TryingToSaveMom
    TryingToSaveMom Member Posts: 9
    edited January 2018

Hi all,

I haven't been on this forum in a long time (thankfully my mom is just over six years NED from her triple negative) but today I read something very exciting about a promising new immunotherapy treatment for triple negative cancer and wanted to share it with you. I've attached the link. Here's hoping that they can get the go ahead for clinical trials soon.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/ottawa-sc...

• Flynn
    edited January 2018

Good news about your mom! Thanks for the link.

• AgathaNYC
    edited January 2018

TryingToSaveMom - Great news about your mother's long-term NED status. So encouraging for us just going through treatment now!! Thanks for posting that and the link.

Here's a link to the TED Talk lecture that I mentioned above: "Starving cancer away | Dr. Sophia Lunt"

I am a vegan who tries to eat as little processed sugar as possible. I am not convinced that restricting my diet even more to be ketogenic will significantly reduce my chances of recurrence. It's MUCH more important that I lose the excess weight I'm carrying. I do believe that significantly will do more to help me.

• Trisha-Anne
    Trisha-Anne Member Posts: 1,661
    edited January 2018

I too have heard a lot about how sugar feeds cancer. While this is true - all food feeds cancer as all foods feed any cell in our body. It's not viable to cut out all sugar in our diets - we need it to stay healthy. But we don't need the refined processed sugar that seems to be everywhere.

Common sense and sugar in moderation is the key - whether that sugar is in fruits or foods that we eat.

Don't start panicking about sugar in your diet. If you start doing that you will need to think about how much fat is in your diet, how much caffeine - it will go on and on, and doesn't benefit anything.

• InspiredbyDolce
    InspiredbyDolce Member Posts: 987
    edited January 2018

Hello Everyone,

Just stopping in to announce my 6-year Healthy Victory today!  While the landmark study uses stats from date of dx, which is 12/27 for me, and which I happily celebrate as well, today is the date I had my BMX, and for me, marks my anniversary date.

Thank you to this entire community for bringing me this far.  The love, support, and information shared has made this a victory to be shared.

Lots of love, hugs, and prayers in the New Year, to all of you!

Debra 

• AgathaNYC
    edited January 2018

Oh, Debra - that is such great news! CONGRATULATIONS!!

Thank you for posting on here - it's so inspiring and encouraging to those of us who have just started down this road.

• AgathaNYC
    edited January 2018

Not to bring this back to the sugar thing, but I found the study about ketogenic diet and cancer I was looking for:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4215472/

• aterry
    edited January 2018

Congratulations, Debra. I hope you've had a pleasant day contemplating how far you've come.

• Flynn
    edited January 2018

Debra, congratulations!! Such awesome news, so happy for you! Thanks for posting.

• Flynn
    edited January 2018

Interesting article, AgathaNYC. I think it’s good to stay abreast of areas of research. Our particular type of bc sure could use a couple break throughs.