Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Calling all TNs

Comments

• cccmc2
    cccmc2 Member Posts: 102
    edited July 2018

thank you for responding

• Jennifer522
    Jennifer522 Member Posts: 194
    edited July 2018

My RO said three factors determined if needed when having a BMX.

(1) Tumor was 5 cm or larger (2) Any evidence of cancer in lymph nodes (3) Any evidence of lymphovascular invasion

Its not recommended for me.

• Valstim52
    Valstim52 Member Posts: 833
    edited July 2018

Hollywood,

I had pcr which they thought would be impossible. Almost 3 years out from dx and I'm NED. I did have 33 rad treatments though. With my case I'm glad I did.

• Beckham2
    Beckham2 Member Posts: 6
    edited July 2018

Hello, everyone! I just had my pre-op visit. Pre-op mammogram shows not much change in the calcifications. Surgeon said it could be scar tissue and microcalcifications often don’t change in appearance on mammo. He said there’s still a 50% chance I got a pCR. Has anyone else had this happen? I read a study that said microcalcifications are associated with residual DCIS, which I had at diagnosis.

• Jennifer522
    Jennifer522 Member Posts: 194
    edited July 2018

I had microcalcifications in both breasts, before and after chemo. No DCIS.

I also had cysts and duct ectasia in the non cancer breast listed on pathology report. Made me glad I chose to get a BMX

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    edited July 2018

Report from check up mammogram 2 years post treatment was clear. No evidence of disease. I’m starting to think that maybe it won’t come back. It’s not always easy to stay positive, because fear comes more naturally than hope at times, but I’m definitely feeling more hopeful than fearful onmost days now. It’s taken me a long time to get to this state of mind. X

• sylviaexmouthuk
    sylviaexmouthuk Member Posts: 7,940
    edited July 2018

Hello ScotBird,

I regularly read TNs and post from time to time. I just wanted to say congratulations on your clear mammogram two years post treatment. May you have many more of the same.

Best wishes.

Sylvia xxxx

• urdrago71
    urdrago71 Member Posts: 500
    edited July 2018

Hello everyone, Im still going thru chemo and finding myself confused about radiation.. Do u need it if u had biopsy that showed cancer present in lymp nodes, but its possible to be a stage 0 after chemo.

Also if radiation is a must after bmx is implants the best way to go or is it a better out come with DIEP? Lets just say Im confused...

• Lovemyyorkies
    Lovemyyorkies Member Posts: 43
    edited July 2018

Hi y'all. I finished my Savi radiation June 22,2018. Finally feeling normal with very little discomfort.I have chosen not to do chemotherapy. I'm 67 and they say only 4% benefit just doesn't sound worth it. Has anyone else decided not to do chemotherapy?

• KSteve
    KSteve Member Posts: 190
    edited July 2018

urdrago71 - I have a pathological complete response (PCR) after chemo, meaning there were no residual cancer cells in my breast tissue or lymph nodes at the time of my BMX. However, that didn't change my original treatment plan, which included radiation. Talk to your doctor for more clarification.

Hugs,

Kathy

• Flynn
    Flynn Member Posts: 208
    edited July 2018

urdrago, my treatment plan was determined by my situation pre-treatment. Our decisions did not change after we saw response to chemo. I’d touch base with plastic surgeon about reconstruction. Everybody’s situation is different so I don’t think there is a set best choice.

• vlh
    vlh Member Posts: 773
    edited July 2018

Lovemyyorkies, I would ask my oncologist for specific information on how much chemo would increase your risk for cardiac issues, secondary cancers, neuropathy, falls, etc., so you can balance that against the 4% benefit. If your cardiac risk is, say, 3-5% against the 4% figure, that may make your decision easier. I'm sorry that you are having to make this difficult choice.

• Lovemyyorkies
    Lovemyyorkies Member Posts: 43
    edited July 2018

Thank you VLH. I go Tuesday to talk with oncologist but I really don't think benifits will out weigh the risks. Will let you know how it goes

• cccmc2
    edited July 2018

I am currently going through treatment. I start my 4 DD taxol next week. I was having strange pains in the breast I still have (my left), and so my Dr ordered an ultrasound. Happy and beyond thankful it was clear. Not sure what the pain is, but it looks unrelated. I still find myself scared of the unknown. will I ever not be petrified of this disease coming back for me? I have days my mind will convince me it’s back. I try really hard not to go there....I hope this feeling lessens over time. So scary!

• flgi
    flgi Member Posts: 54
    edited July 2018

Hello, I'm the daughter of a 73 year old with TNBC, and mostly hang out on the UK thread, but I thought I'd say hi here- and comment on lovemyyorkies' situation.

Lovemyyorkies - my mother's tumour was a bit bigger than yours- 2 cm-but otherwise her situation is similar. She also had no nodes affected. She has had a mastectomy, which she is recovering well from , and we have had three opinions on whether she should have chemo!

The first indicted that she shouldn't because she is over 70 and breast cancer chemo is harsher than others (for e.g. bowel cancer)

The second and third (both more experienced in breast cancer and in particular TNBC) said she should.

The second one said that, if it was his mother, he would advise her to have it. His reasoning was that, although it had been caught early, this was an aggressive cancer and relatively likely to return. If it does come back it is more "tricky" to treat (though clearly there are new treatments in the pipeline for Stage 4). He felt that it was best to throw as much as possible at it at this stage where the intent is still to "cure" it. She is a relatively fit and healthy 73 with no relevant co-morbidities so he felt there was no strong reason for her not to at least try chemo. He felt that it would reduce her chances of the cancer coming back by about 8%.

The third was also perplexed by the first opinion not to treat - and echoed much of what the second said. She also said that, if my mother really cannot tolerate chemo, they could stop it, but that any chemo she managed to have would reduce the chances of it coming back. So they are going to start with the "supposedly" easier regime and delay the more aggressive one until they see what her response is.

I just thought I would let you know all that so you can maybe take it to your next consultation.

Of course, your tumour was smaller than my mother's- so this may change the risk/benefit ratio in the direction of not having chemo. However, unless you have co-morbidities, I feel that the oncologists we saw might say that, at 65, there is no reason for you not to have it.

Good Luck anyway!

Flora, Oxford, UK

• RachelleV
    RachelleV Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2018

hello

Just found this site and created an account. 58 years old; diagnosed 4/30TNBC; fast tracked to First AC treatment on 5/21. Completed 4 AC. Started Taxol, completed 1 of 12.

• LoveMyVizsla
    LoveMyVizsla Member Posts: 526
    edited July 2018

Welcome Rachelle, sorry you found need to join us, but this group is very helpful.

Made my six month follow up appointments. I have a small lump under my port incision, anyone else have that? Not sure if I should have my PT use the cold laser on it, or wait until I see the oncology PA. Probably scar tissue, but why this far out?

• cccmc2
    edited July 2018

first taxol treatment tomorow. Any advice or thoughts on what I can expect?

Thanks!! Heart

• rdeesides
    rdeesides Member Posts: 233
    edited July 2018

cccmc2, Taxol was easy for me but because it wasn't hard I wasn't as diligent with drinking water and ended up getting constipated. Keep up the water!!! You should do fine. It is so much easier than AC.

R

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    edited July 2018

after AC, I found taxol pretty easy. They did pump me full of antihistamines so I was super drowsy. I started bringing extra caffeine so I wouldn't sleep through it because I hated how that screwed up my sleeping patterns. I definitely needed someone to drive me home as I was too groggy.

The other thing is that for the first 3 taxols at my center they have a dedicated nurse watching you for the first 15 minutes the taxol is flowing. It's to monitor for allergic reactions and it's not a big deal but it's kind of odd to have someone literally staring at you. Once you make it through the first 3 with no problems, they just have the general nurses keeping an eye on you.

Do report any weird feelings, feeling hot, palpitations, rashes, breathing probs etc....

I didn't start icing until I began the first signs of neuropathy but some people start icing right from the start. HAve you decided?

• cccmc2
    edited July 2018

thank you Ladies! I didn’t plan to ice until I noticed any signs that I should. I’m looking forward to this being easier on me than the AC. My 3rd AC wiped me out so badly they slightly reduced my 4th and last treatment. I’m feeling excited to Be At the halfway mark, and after tomorrow past the halfway mark!! I’ve heard From some that hair sometimes will start to grow back on taxol... I hope this is true for me (

• LoveMyVizsla
    LoveMyVizsla Member Posts: 526
    edited July 2018

Definitely keep up the water. I had the opposite problem...I’d get home (hour and a half drive) and have to run for the bathroom within an hour. But only once. Still annoying. Also, do whatever you can to keep your muscle strength up. I walked every day, but by the end, I couldn’t even open a sealed jar, and had to lay down after showering because even that wore me out.

Hope it goes easily and quickly for you

• vl22
    vl22 Member Posts: 471
    edited July 2018

cccmc2 - both AC and Taxol were horrible for me, but I think I’m the exception. I had a lot of joint and muscle pain with taxol, which really peaked after my last infusion and lasted for over three months. My MO said it was unusual.

I also had no neuropathy during taxol, but started getting some within the last two months. Again - lucky me! - not very common.

The truth is however that even with all the hardship and SEs , I would say I feel very close to 100%.

You got this - good luck!

• vl22
    vl22 Member Posts: 471
    edited July 2018

Rebekah- how is the rib pain

• urdrago71
    edited July 2018

Cccmc2, my experience with Taxol easier than AC. I had no reaction to the drug. I requested to premed myself, benadryl and nauseas tablet(kytril) so when I go in all the nurse had to premed with is steriod and pepcid. I agree with bone pain, and tiredness has been the hardest this time. I hadnt iced my hands tomorrow 8 of 12. But i am keeping dark finger nail polish on nails to hopefully prevent brittleness or spliting.

• cccmc2
    edited July 2018

thanks for all of the responses! Speaking of pre meds...my onc told me to take 20mg of dexamethasone 4 hours prior to treatment. I’m a bit nervous to take this as 4mg made me shake, although I did eventually get used to it and the side effects got better. 20mg just has me a bit nervous.

• urdrago71
    edited July 2018

Cccmc2, Dexamethasone I get as well as premed when i go for infusion not sure how much I am given.

But I would ask them if they slow down change the amount given or maybe they can give u a different steriod. report it to ur MO.. btw: ask if benadryl will counter act the shaking reaction u get from the steriod.

• rdeesides
    rdeesides Member Posts: 233
    edited July 2018

VL22- still having pain. Don’t know what to do. Have had chest CT, chest x-ray, abdominal CT and colonoscopy. All came back clean. I’m a little unsettled at not having a diagnosis. Will see my MO on Friday and will ask his thoughts.

Thanks for asking. :-)

R

• RachelleV
    RachelleV Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2018

hello;

I completed 4 AC, and 2 taxol so far and the taxol is a lot easier to manage!

Take care :-)

• hollywood1968
    hollywood1968 Member Posts: 35
    edited July 2018

hi! Today is my last ddac chemo. The tumor has shrunk a lot. I have the choice to do either taxol alone or taxol and carboplatin next. Any experience or opinions? I started with a 7.8cm tumor and 3 lymph nodes positive