Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Calling all TNs

Comments

• Parrynd1
    Parrynd1 Member Posts: 343
    edited November 2018

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

KWilli, I did have more chemo after neoadjuvant chemo + lumpectomy. Part of the reason being that I did not get a PCR and honestly barely responded to AC chemo. The main reason for me to do additional chemo was because my lymphnode looked clear on all scans and when biopsies during surgery, however, further pathology came back positive for cancer cells. So, off to TC chemo I went after recovering for 6 weeks. My lumpectomy recovery was luckily very easy and I was out of bed the next day and mostly getting around normal. Worse part is the drains. I felt like an alien, haha

• Valstim52
    Valstim52 Member Posts: 833
    edited November 2018

Hello All

Weighing in on the MX vs lumpectomy. 33 years ago on my right side I had a lumpectomy and radiation. ER positive. 3 years ago left side triple negative/IBC. I would have gone with an mx no matter the recommendation, but that was due to a lot of second guessing the first time around.

I just had a friend recur with only a lumpectomy TN. She was almost 5 years out. She was the one that told me 3 years ago to let them throw the kitchen sink at the cancer.

You never really know. You have to be comfortable with your decision. You can recur with so many scenarios, or not recur at all.

Val

• helenlouise
    helenlouise Member Posts: 363
    edited November 2018
    Kwilli, I am doing Xeloda like urdrago because I did not achieve pcr. It is way less invasive than IV chemo but you have to remember to take exactly as prescribed. I have had two delays so far because of low neutrophils and my dose reduced by 1000 mg per day. My onc said this is recommended treatment in our scenario. Previously Xeloda was only given to state IV.

There is a Xeloda thread that is welcoming and helpful.

Good luck x
  • Flynn
    Flynn Member Posts: 208
    edited November 2018

Happy Thanksgiving TN friends! Thanks for your kind wishes, Sylvia!

Kwilli, I’m also doing Xeloda. I didn’t get pcr but had less than 1 cm of residual so it was really confusing trying to figure out what to do. Because I’m in my 40’s and have 2 young children, my MO is giving my Xeloda outside of a trial (most require 1cm residual). We agreed, in advance, to stop if I really had problems. I’m tolerating it pretty well, so I’m moving along with hopes of stomping any remaining TN cells out. If nothing else, i’ll know that I tried my best. GL to you!

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,311
    edited November 2018

Flynn that sounds smart!

• kwilli
    kwilli Member Posts: 94
    edited November 2018

thank you everyone for sharing!

• cccmc2
    cccmc2 Member Posts: 102
    edited November 2018

here is what my hair situation is 3 months post chemo. I was completely bald with no brows or lashes. Just wanted to share. I don’t even care that it’s grey !! imageSillyHeart

• santabarbarian
    edited November 2018

JEALOUS!!!!!

Last chemo today!

• cccmc2
    edited November 2018

Santabarbar...

Congrats!!

• Vslush
    Vslush Member Posts: 117
    edited November 2018

Cccmc2,

You look adorable! Short hair really (honestly!) suits you. Rock it, girl!

Santabarbarian,

Congrats on your last chemo .. yay!! And just in time to re-coop a little before the holidays ramp up. Enjoy, and eat anything and everything that FINALLY tastes good without guilt!

Vickki

• SierraPineapple
    SierraPineapple Member Posts: 20
    edited November 2018

cccmc2, I agree about the short hair looking good! Mine grew back curly and I looked like a fuzzy bear with my naturally round face, especially when the face hair started growing back as well

• cccmc2
    edited November 2018

thank you Heart

• urdrago71
    urdrago71 Member Posts: 500
    edited November 2018

Santabarbarian, congrats on finishing chemo..

Cccmc2. You look beautiful. Your hair looks very thick as well..Was it as thick before ? I didnt know how much grey I ever had since Ive always colored..Im with u, so happy to have hair back..

Helen, you started Xeloda during rads? How did u feel? Bcuz my MO will not allow me to start Xeloda until after rads is completed.Her response "NO" to hard on ur body. Then i followed up with, how long do I need to heal before I can start. Waiting for response. Also if u have low count do u get injections to being ur counts back up? I did neulasta during AC and granix during taxol.

• SA8PG
    SA8PG Member Posts: 280
    edited November 2018

Sylvia thank you for always checking in and for your encouragement. Congratulations on 13+ years cancer free and theThanksgiving wishes to us in America.

Hugs

• kwilli
    kwilli Member Posts: 94
    edited November 2018

cccmc2; your 'do is super cute! I'm finished chemo (today; with Santabarbarian)! I can only dream of brows and lashes like yours

• cccmc2
    edited November 2018

KWiili,

Congrats! And they will grow! I’ve had mine for over a month now

• Flynn
    edited November 2018

Congrats on finishing chemo, Santabarian!! Hope you get in a well earned celebration before surgery!

Cccmc2, cute hair! Looks like it’s coming in really well :)

• Vslush
    edited November 2018

Congratulations KWilli!!! Celebrate and enjoy the holidays knowing that part is behind you!

Vickki

• santabarbarian
    edited November 2018

High five to KWilli! So happy we are done with this portion of the ride!!

Thank you to all the other TNBC sisters for this very supportive thread.

• Flynn
    edited November 2018

kwilli, I must have skipped right over your post. So sorry- congrats on finishing chemo!! Good for you!

• sylviaexmouthuk
    sylviaexmouthuk Member Posts: 7,940
    edited November 2018

Hello SA8PG,

Thank you for your kind words. I do hope you are doing well after four years since diagnosis. It is good that you have stayed with the thread. It is so important for the newly diagnosed and started treatment to know that they will get through it and return to a more normal life.

I often read the posts here and take an interest, but there are too many to reply to.

Keep up the good work and best wishes to you and to all those on this thread.

Sylvia xxxx

• helenlouise
    helenlouise Member Posts: 363
    edited November 2018
    Hi urdrago

Yes I did do Xeloda whilst doing rads. My MO did think my RO wouldnt wear it but he said lets do it. All new stuff. Issue can be burning but he was very happy as was I to give it a shot, always with the option of stopping if I did burn more than expected.

You and I gave similar diagnosis.

I feel ok but have had 2 delays because of low neutrophils. Firstly I was dropped from 4000mg to 3000mg and an extra week off. Then another week off... So standard was 2 weeks on one week off. No injections just more time for body to bounce back. This is my fourth round and we agreed to just have two weeks break. I get some indigestion and aches from arthritis. Tingling and my peripheral neuropathy is no better but all up I am well.

This was my second round of rads to that side, so that is a bit rare. But they are keeping a close watch on me.

I was just glad to start the Xeloda. Sooner I start the sooner I'm done.

Ccc - your hair is amazing. I have less than that and finished chemo in June!!! Looks great.
  • santabarbarian
    edited December 2018

Good news to report. I finished chemo last week. My MRI is Friday, but I just had my pre-surgery mammogram... The tumor has disappeared! I am still not certain about my lymph node(s) and I know I need to wait for post surgery pathology, but to see the two mammograms side by side it was "now you see it, now you don't" -- VERY encouraging!!

• urdrago71
    edited December 2018

woohoo. Congrats Santabarba youve kicked cancer in the a**

• Vslush
    edited December 2018

That's such great news, Santabarbarian!!!

Vickki

• Flynn
    edited December 2018

That’s great news, Santabarbarian!! I hope the MRI looks good too! Keep us posted.

• SA8PG
    SA8PG Member Posts: 280
    edited December 2018

Santabarbarian that is such great news! Heart

• cccmc2
    edited December 2018

having a rough couple days. Not really sure why. For a couple weeks I can honestly say cancer rarely if ever entered my mind. Now I’m back on the every little ache and pain scare myself to death train. I can’t have scans other than mammograms unless I have a symptom. The thought of scans scare me anyway. Guess I just needed to vent. Thank you ladies. Happy Holidays :

• romashka
    romashka Member Posts: 28
    edited December 2018

My heart understands and hugs yours.

• urdrago71
    edited December 2018

cccmc2,

we're here for you cyber hugs Any plans for the Holidays?