Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Calling all TNs

Comments

• Luvmydobies
    Luvmydobies Member Posts: 476
    edited February 2020

Hello ladies. I had my yearly checkup with my Oncologist today and he said I’m doing great! He said my prognosis is really good. I’m seven years out so still hanging in there!
    (((((HUGS))))) to everyone!

• Gamb
    Gamb Member Posts: 570
    edited February 2020

So great to hear Luvmy.. Here's to many more Years!!!!!

• anothernycgirl
    anothernycgirl Member Posts: 821
    edited February 2020

Hi Luv! So nice to 'hear' from you and read your update! Sending hugs and wishing you all the best!

• BanR
    BanR Member Posts: 238
    edited March 2020

Anyone out there with RAD gene mutation?

And does anyone remember me .. I don't see any familiar names :(

love to all!

• LoveMyVizsla
    LoveMyVizsla Member Posts: 526
    edited March 2020

I remember your name, BanR.

Today was Triple Negative Breast Cancer day.

Mazzanja, those are not the stats that my doctor gave me. We have the same stats and she told me my chance of recurrence is 8-10%.

• LoveMyVizsla
    edited March 2020

I’m 3 1/2 years out from treatment and see my MO next week. I can’t think of any questions to ask her. Anyone have any ideas

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    edited March 2020

LoveMyVizsla - don't want to be a downer but 20/20 hindsight, when I got discharged from my MO less than a year ago, I wish I had asked for a complete blood test - incl liver, tumor markers & a chest xray. I think they don't want to do them tho so it's likely she wouldn't have done it but I have heard some people in Cda get them so not sure how the MO makes that decision. Make sure she palpates your abdomen & all your lymph nodes thoroughly. If you've had sore joints, pain anywhere, any new weird ache or new symptom even if you're sure it's not related, mention it.

• SJSmith52
    SJSmith52 Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2020

I was diagnosed almost 3 years ago with invasive TN breast cancer - no lymph node involvement. Very small tumor. My doctor did not advise chemo only 15 days of radiation. Next month I will have a reck with oncology dr and mammogram. From what I see most people do receive chemo. Every reck. produces extreme anxiety prior to the dr visit - more so as time goes by rather than lessening. I am wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to lessen the fear of recurrence when your checkup is on the horizon.

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,311
    edited March 2020

SJ -- I try to focus on the actual reality: the longer you go without TNBC recurrence, the less likely recurrence becomes. You are basically right at the edge of the prime window of recurrence (3 years). At 5 years post diagnosis, the rate of recurrence of TNBC drops to almost zero.

I'm not sure how to avoid pre-scan anxiety, as of course you want the scan to be clean and the possibility it won't be is hovering. I think being very busy that week is a pretty good distraction to get through the wait part.

Last I remind myself that if something IS happening, I want to know it. asap.

• BanR
    edited March 2020

Luvmy...your name sounds familiar too! we were so many then, most gone ahead with their lives.. few no more unfortunately.

• anothernycgirl
    anothernycgirl Member Posts: 821
    edited March 2020

Hi BanR I remember your name, too! Always nice to 'see a familiar face' here ! =)

• PeggySull
    PeggySull Member Posts: 368
    edited March 2020

I am just checking in after a long time. I want to add my voice to those of other TNs that remission is possible. I am 5 1/2 years out NED. When I first received my diagnosis I was sure I would die of this type of cancer. But I didn't ! Hang in there! PS If there is one piece of advice I would give is that if your oncologist wants you to have dose dense taxane chemo every two weeks, inisist on the once a week regimen. Studies have shown it is just as effective and reduces taxane-induced neuropathy A LOT. I had dose dense and now I struggle with neuropathy in both my feet and the top parts of my fingers. Both of these affect my life and work. But back to the positive--after 5 plus years I am alive and well and living in Wilmington NC. Any Wilmington ladies out there?

• vlh
    vlh Member Posts: 773
    edited March 2020

Mazzanja, fingers crossed, May will mark four years since diagnosis without a recurrence for me. Our stats are nearly identical. I hope all goes well with your remaining treatment.

Great news, Peggy!

Lyn

• LoveMyVizsla
    edited March 2020
  • adagio
    adagio Member Posts: 713
    edited March 2020

I remember you Peggy Sull - we went through chemo about the same time - I completed all of my treatments including radiation at the end of April, 2013 - so that means I am coming up to 7 years - unbelievable! Ladies - there is hope - I have had some scary moments, but I have thoroughly enjoyed LIVING my life - none of us knows what lies ahead - so my motto - is "embrace each day and live it as best I can".

• vl22
    vl22 Member Posts: 471
    edited March 2020

adagio - I came here today looking for some positivity and saw your post - fantastic

• BanR
    edited March 2020

hey!!

AnotherNYCG and Adagio!! Familiar faces .. 😊😊

How have you been ladies.

How are our other friends. Everyone has moved on thankfully. It's so nice to stop by and see old cancer companions here

love!

• Mazzanja
    Mazzanja Member Posts: 4
    edited March 2020

I definitely like 8-10% better than 16%. My oncologist pulled up the universal site they use and put in my details... based on that he gave me the stats and showed me the site. I’m hoping based on my specific details it’s surely lower than 16%. I NEVER want this to return as I’m sure No one does. My last chemo is this coming Monday and I’m so ready!!! My hair will start to grow back, I can start rebuilding my immune system, and move onto radiation which will start 2 weeks after the completion of chemo! I’m only having to do 4 weeks of radiation instead of 6 weeks which was a pleasant surprise. How much radiation did you do or will you do?

• miss302
    miss302 Member Posts: 17
    edited March 2020

hi

I got neuropathy on weekly dose dense taxol. But I am about to celebrate 13 years and am NED.

I struggle with radiation because I had 31 doses and was diagnosed at the Mayo Clinic with RIBP radiation induced brachial plexopathy. Scary as hell diagnosis. My hand and arm and shoulder are withering away or sinking in. I am losing functions of my hand and arm. Plus it causes me pain. It's a 0.5% chance to got it!! Not so lucky me. I just turned 40 so this radiation fibrosis that is slowly taking my entire left arm usage has a lot more years to continue. Radiation is the gift that keeps on giving. But I wonder if I would have turned it down would I be alive with 2 children AFTER cancer????? Rant over.

• santabarbarian
    edited March 2020

Can pentoxifylline help at all at this point?

I am so sorry you are suffering this SE. I have a friend with the same thing and it's awful. I am glad you and your children are here!!

• PeggySull
    edited March 2020

Hi, that really sucks! I am so sorry that you are having to continue to deal with this.

I am dealing with chemo-induced neuropathy now 6 years out and it's getting worse not better. Chemo, like radiation, keeps on giving!

• PeggySull
    edited March 2020

Hi, Adagio, good to see so many of us alive. It was soooo scary before, during, and immediately after treatment. If I remember correctly, you were part of a group of us who got non-oncologists to prescribe Metformin to help prevent recurrence. I stayed on it for years. Then moved, had a hard time getting a doc to prescribe, then recently when I did start taking it again, I got debilitating leg cramps during the night. Would wake we up screaming in pain and couldn't get back to sleep. That had never ever happened before. Stopped the Metformin on a hunch and the cramps stopped immediately.

Anyway, now that I'm this far out I'm feeling okay not taking the Metformin. I just feel lucky to have made it so far!

To the women going through treatment, there really does come a time when you wake up on consecutive days and never even think about having breast cancer. Just get through your treatment one day at a time and be gentle and kind with yourself. Sending prayers and good wishes your way!

• SoulShine1969
    SoulShine1969 Member Posts: 2,843
    edited March 2020

Hi TN girls,

I'm five years out from diagnosis four years out from end of treatment, and a few weeks out from a scary but clear excisional biopsy( who needs two nipples anyhow?)

So far so good with my health post treatment. Mild but annoying neuropathy in my fingers. Very mild lymphedema. Mild brain fog at times. Probably the most annoying issue I've had so far is capsular contracture and banding scar tissue on my radiated side, but I hope to have that resolved soon with a new surgery scheduled when the Covid crises is over.

I love hearing how so many of us are still here. Stay well my friends!

• ALHusband
    ALHusband Member Posts: 342
    edited April 2020

Just checking in. Wanted to report for "newbies" that my wife will celebrate her 7 year "cancerversary" tomorrow, April 8th. I remember the day she was diagnosed and it was a dark day...as I'm sure it was for many of you. I'm here as a witness to tell you you CAN and will get to the other end of the tunnel. Hang in there!

• Gamb
    edited April 2020

Love to hear survivor and thriver stories! CONGRATS!!!!!!

• santabarbarian
    edited April 2020

Wonderful to hear ALHusband!!

• maryjv
    maryjv Member Posts: 269
    edited April 2020

Good afternoon!!! I am so happy to share that my SO just called to let me know pathology found no signs of cancer in my removed breast!!!! No cancer in the lymph node removed, feeling very blessed right now🙏❤️ Recovering from double mastectomy but very happy to hear the news...thank you to everyone for providing such guidance and support when it was needed the most!

• santabarbarian
    edited April 2020

MARYJV!!!!! WOW that is sooooo wonderful to find out!!! Whoooo!

• maryjv
    maryjv Member Posts: 269
    edited April 2020

thank you santabarbarian-you have been such an amazing support system and I learned so much from you!!!!!! Thank you for sharing all of your tips and changes for a successful outcome,I truly know these changes helped improve my outcome results!!! Just recovering at this time and enjoying This time with my 8yr old daughter. Stay safe everyone 🙏

• Gamb
    edited April 2020

Fantastic MaryJv