Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Calling all TNs

Comments

• Kelley41
    Kelley41 Member Posts: 41
    edited December 2010

I had my first follow up after fininshing chemo.  Was wondering what is "normal" for these 3 month visits....I ask because they never drew blood and did any testing?   Do you guys have your blood tested every time you go for your follow ups?  Thanks - Kelley

• jenn3
    jenn3 Member Posts: 388
    edited December 2010

Moe - I did DD AC every other week and 12 weekly Taxol.  SE's are different for everyone, but for me the AC was the hardest of the two.  Taxol wasn't a walk in the park, but I felt better.  Just be sure to rest when your body wants rest and drink plenty of fluids.  When you feel good, have fun!

Mommafluff - I would bring a notebook with questions to ask and to write notes in.  Ask him about the chemo and SE's, ask him about radiation and why or why not depending on what he says.  If you have to do chemo, what kind, will you also need the Neulasta shot (to boost WBC).  If you do chemo talk to him about premeds and/or antinausea meds.  Take notes and if you can have someone with you because when the dr starts talking it doesn't all sink in and it's hard to remember.

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671
    edited December 2010

Lovelyface:  What do the nurses/Onc say about your cough?  Usually they are really careful in regards to reactions to chemo.  I had difficulty breathing on my last Taxotere, and they took me off of it.

• TifJ
    TifJ Member Posts: 804
    edited December 2010
    Blindsided and Lovelyface- I had the exact same cough and post nasal drip after the first 2 TC! My onc. also suggested Claritin- worked for me!! Tx 3 has been really pretty easy so far (on day 9). One more to go on the 30th!!
  • tnbcRuth
    tnbcRuth Member Posts: 338
    edited December 2010

Kelley, I have my first follow up on the 30th, and I know they are going to draw blood.  My onc said I would be monitored only by doing a blood test every 3 months...that any 'activity' will show up there. ( I don't think its the tumor marker test.)  If anything at all shows up, she'll have me go for further testing.  Any opinions? 

• 99Sporty
    99Sporty Member Posts: 10
    edited December 2010

I just got scheduled today for my first infusion - 12/30..  DD A/C x 4 then DD T x 4.. sounds like that's pretty typical among this group.  I'm just ready to start.  A friend told me to suck on mints during the infusion and that helps prevent some of the metal taste in the mouth - any of you heard/done that?  Any other goofy tips?  I'll be headed to the chemo threads soon since I now have a start date.

• lrm216
    lrm216 Member Posts: 534
    edited December 2010

I get blood tested at each 3 month visit.  She does Vitamin D testing every 6 months.  I think tumor markers are every 6 months too, but not sure if she does them every 3 months.  I go next week for my next "3 monther" so I will ask to be sure.

Linda

• Titan
    Titan Member Posts: 1,313
    edited December 2010

Sporty..try an Italian ice or ice chips while you take the Adrimycin...it is supposed to help with mouth sores.  The first infusion I got an Italian ice..the next time it was just ice chips..amazing...but at least have something...I had them every time..never had a mouth sore.  ASK for them..or if they don't offer them take ice with you.

• barfraz
    barfraz Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2010

Thanks, Titan...very informative.  Well, I feel like the antique of the group.  I was diagnosed at age 66.  My cancer was 3+ cm.  Shape of a barbell with handle over the ducts, skin and lymph nodes are involved- axillary and subclavicle. Today I completed 12 Taxol infusions (done weekly).  The mass can no longer be found on exam.  In 10 days I am scheduled for ultrasound and FAC infusion (12 infusions give every 3 weeks).  Next comes mastectomy, then radiation therapy. My most painful/aggravating symptoms other than fatigue and aching joints and muscles, has been neuropathy and now I am losing toenails and fingernails.  I'm quite computer literate but not accustomed to forums, so don't know the "lingo" yet.

• Titan
    edited August 2013

Mommafluf..you will probably have chemo...I think standard of care for chemo is if a tumor is over 1 centimeter...being TN I'm not sure what the standard of care is but I think about 99.9% of us on here have had chemo or are going through it now or are going to go through it so you are in the right place!

• Titan
    edited December 2010

barfraz...you are certainly not an antique...!  And glad that that tumor is dying!...good, good, good.

Keep in touch with us here and let us know how you are doing..we truly care.

I lost one toenail...freaky...

• MBJ
    edited December 2010

barfraz:  Certainly not an antique.  After chemo I think we all feel a bit older, though.  I have been trying to lose one toenail for awhile now.  Taxotere obliterated my cancer, though they still had to take it out.  So glad you had the same results.

• MBJ
    edited December 2010

Ruth: My onc tests markers once every three months and I am hoping it will drop to once every 6 months once I hit my year mark in March of having chemo/MX.  I also get Vit D levels tested.

• mitymuffin
    mitymuffin Member Posts: 242
    edited December 2010

Congratulations Swanny! How do you feel? Did you get any fatigue toward the end?  I have 7 more to go, but 6 of them are boosts.  We will start the New Year treatment free and healthy.

• 99Sporty
    99Sporty Member Posts: 10
    edited December 2010

I just went to that Gaila Fund site and ordered one too- so many beautiful choices!  Thanks for the tip.   I got a care package from the PA Breast Cancer Coalition that had a flyer for a scarf maker as well, I need to go back and take a look at that.  Thanks also for the tip on italian ice.. we have a place called Glaciar Flakes  with about a gazillion flavors- guess that gives me a good excuse to try a few.  Of course December 30th in PA is not the optimal time for icees, but what the heck!

I love hearing about the tumors that shrunk away to nothing during chemo!  I'm so hopeful that is my result as well.  I'm just ready to get started.  So even if the tumor shrinks away to nothing some of you still have had MX?  at this point my docs are still saying lumpectomy if it shinks even a little bit. 

Today I'll be doing some shopping and running around with my 3yr old.  Usually it is fun if it is just one of the kids.  I have 2 boys, 3 and 5..  together they are sometimes torture - but one at a time is usually a lot of fun.  I do not however look forward to traffic,rude 'holiday' shoppers and long lines Cry

• mitymuffin
    edited August 2013

Ladies, have you seen this study on survival after lumpectomys vs mastectomys? http://www.webmd.com/breast-cancer/news/20101217/breast-conserving-therapy-better-than-mastectomy

My favorite sentence says: "Still, both treatments work well, with about 93% of 62,770 women who had lumpectomy followed by radiation -- and 87% of 51,507 women who had a mastectomy -- alive more than four years after diagnosis.

About Avastin: Maybe there is hope for it being approved for hormone-negative women, according to the articles I'm reading. Also I've read "Actually, the revocation is being considered under rules set up in the early 1990's, well before the new health care law " (New York Times)  though it is certainly money driven and I think the insurance companies just don't want to pay for it. 

• MicheleS
    MicheleS Member Posts: 196
    edited December 2010

hi eveyone! haven't been here in a while but you guys are always in my thoughts!

xxoo

• mitymuffin
    edited December 2010

LauraJane, I love the descriptions of your new room colors. A new start for the New Year, and may it bring great health. I hope you are continuing to feel well.

• laurajane
    laurajane Member Posts: 305
    edited December 2010

Thank-you Mitymuffin- Our hair is very similiar. I guess I need to change my pic too! You look so cute!

MicheleS- great to hear from you.

MBJ- The integrative doc I saw at Sloan Kettering told me to not take ANY antioxidants or Detoxifiers while on chemo. I did take them when I was on Taxol not during just days before and after. My head is spinning on what to do. I would love to take Milk Thistle which is in the Liver Tonic I was taking but now I just don't know what to do so I took his advise and have not taken anything other than what he suggested which is the Mataki D and a multi with no copper. he did say that after chemo I should bust my system like crazy. What did your integrative doc suggest while actually on chemo? I know you sent me that list but I couldn't understand what to take when?

• HeidiToo
    HeidiToo Member Posts: 965
    edited February 2011
    LJ- my doc's advice was the same--- nothing during chemo or rads. Period. Remember, you are paying for this advice! Wink
  • jenn3
    jenn3 Member Posts: 388
    edited December 2010

I was told not to take supplements during treatment (chemo and rads).  From what I understand the chemo and radiation is in there killing all of the cancer cells (and some).  By taking supplements it stops or hinders the chemo and radiation from doing what it's suppose to do.

• cmksocal
    cmksocal Member Posts: 163
    edited December 2010

I was told not to take MEGA does of vitamins/supplements during treatment.  But the regular daily dose of vitamins, milk thistle etc was fine.

Colleen

• lrr4993
    lrr4993 Member Posts: 504
    edited December 2010

I was told that radiation and chemo work through oxidation.  Thus, taking antioxidants can cause them to not do what they are designed to do.  My doc said a multi vitamin and food level antioxidants are fine.  Just not the supplements that greatly increase the amounts in your system.

Not all supplements are antioxidants.  You may want to check with your doc about specific ones.  I really want to take folic acid for my hair, but am set to start rads after new years.  I have read that folic acid is not an antioxidant.  Going to check with my rad onco.  Hopefully I can take it during rads.  Really want my hair back ASAP!! 

• Luah
    Luah Member Posts: 626
    edited December 2010
    mitymuffin:  Thanks for posting that study.  I know my BS said she considered Lx and rads to be a more aggressive treatment than Mx, even though many see it the opposite.  And I agree, the best news of all is the high percentage of women who are alive and well years later.
  • MicheleS
    MicheleS Member Posts: 196
    edited December 2010

LJ- mine said nothing during but has been supportive of my CAM supplements now that I'm done.  (I take: aspirin, coQ10, boswellia, resveratrol, ecgc, curcumin, calcium, fish oil, and vit D.)

• mitymuffin
    edited December 2010

Luah, That is an interesting statement by your BS. I too would have thought the opposite, but being someone who had a lumpectomy, I'm glad to hear it. 

RE: Supplements. I let the Sloan Kettering website be my guide on each one.  http://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/11570.cfm

• riley702
    riley702 Member Posts: 575
    edited August 2013

double post - sorry!

• riley702
    riley702 Member Posts: 575
    edited December 2010
    So does MX with rads do even better? (hope, hope, since that's what I did). I'm very happy I got the Avastin right before they put the kibosh on that. Maybe it will help me down the line.
  • MonikaV
    MonikaV Member Posts: 148
    edited December 2010

Hi Ladies,

How is everyone doing? I have some news to share. I got the results from my bone scan and no evidence of cancer!!!! Yay! My onc said that as of this right moment I am cancer free, but not to let that fool me because I am TN chances of recurrence are high.... I am aware of that but for now I am jumping for joy! 

Also if you noticed .... I have changed my profile picture. This professional photographer in my area lost her best friend to cancer ... So every year she invites cancer patients and give them a photo session for free. Smile I was excited to see that my hair is growing faster than I thought. 

Have a great day ladies

• laurajane
    laurajane Member Posts: 305
    edited December 2010

Wow! Monika what a great photo! You look beautiful and happy!