Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Calling all TNs

Comments

• Pamelajo
    Pamelajo Member Posts: 124
    edited June 2010

I don't eat alot of sugar MBJ.  I mostly stick with proteins to help with the sugar crash.  I keep candies in my purse for those moments when I get caught off guard.  My downfall with sugar is ice cream.  The other night, the cookies yelled at me LOL, as well as the hershey syrup.  Normally, if I want something sweet, I eat fresh fruit.  I've never kept many sweets in the house, I don't bake, and I use either honey or agave in my tea.  I do know though that our bodies need sugar to survive.  Moderation is key to all things.  Something I may need more of, another gal might need less of. 

I sure do miss real butter though.....lol

• sugar77
    sugar77 Member Posts: 1,328
    edited June 2010

I wanted to share a little story that made me feel good today. I was standing in a long line to check out at warehouse sale today. Two lades in their late '60s or '70s were standing ahead of me and commented on how they liked my hair, which is very short as I'm 16 weeks out from chemo. I thanked them and for some reason told them why it was so short.  They both then told me they were bc surivors. They were sisters and one had had a mastectomy and chemo 30 years ago (she was very young at the time).  The other sister had her's 6 years ago and she had lumpectomy, chemo and rads and nothing else because it was hormone negative.  Turns out they were tested and are both BRCA positive and were both hormone negative.  Neither got Tamoxifen or anything and they are doing well.  Not sure if they were Her2+ but since the one who had it six years ago didn't get Herceptin...I'm thinking she (of both) were Triple Negative.  They were so sweet and gave me hugs and lots of encouragement.  I wanted to share with you!

Oh, and my fortune cookie at Chinese buffet tonight said, "He who has hope, has everything." ...and I did have a few tiny desserts at the buffet...but they don't count, do they?

• kittycat
    kittycat Member Posts: 1,155
    edited June 2010

Sugar - I love that story!  It's amazing how many of us women of all ages are BC survivors! 

I am trying to eat better foods.  I did break down and have McDonald's today.  I had the sugar free lemonade though!  :)

• Luah
    Luah Member Posts: 626
    edited June 2010

Sugar:  What an uplifting story - thanks for sharing!

Pamelajo: I know what you mean about ice-cream - it's my weakness too.  But I'm amazed at how good some of the frozen yogurts taste, even chocolate. I'm a convert - so is my husband who has lost 5 pounds which he swears is only from switching from ice cream to yogurt!  I never had a high-fat diet to begin with, but I've definitely lowered it more - red meat 1-2 times a week max, more fruit and veggies, less cheese. 

As for sugar, I agree, everything in moderation.  Does anyone know of any studies that look at sugar's effects on trip neg tumours specifically?  Sometimes I think a lot of what we read about BC is skewed toward estrogen positive BC as that is most common, and we know that our cancer doesn't feed on estrogen which is what I think sugar activates.      

• sugar77
    edited June 2010

Lol...with all these posts about sugar...I'm kind of feeling guilty that my screen name is "Sugar77"! To set the record straight, Sugar was my dad's lifelong nickname and my screename is a tribute to him (he died at 77 years old).  Okay, back to the sugar talk...!

• PauldingMom
    PauldingMom Member Posts: 392
    edited June 2010

Sugar, Chinese sugar doesn't officially count. 

I've found some decent Low-Carb, Sugar Free Bryers ice cream in the store. Of course one serving size is a total joke.

I went to the neighborhood pool party this weekend and, of course, everyone was telling how good I looked (they were expecting the walking dead I suppose). An older lady over heard some people talking and pulled me aside. Her docs. found a lump a year ago and she never went back for the biopsy or anything. She stated that she didn't think she could pay for something like B.C. at the time. I really wanted to shake her and possibly give her a little slap upside the head, but like I said she was an older lady and my advantage over her would have not made it an even fight. Instead I told her there was lots of help out there and that I would be more than happy to give her more informations. I told her that B.C. is the "popular" cancer and that was a good thing for us. I offered to take her to her appointments or what ever. I also told her that B.C. did not mean double MX like it did years ago.I thought about flashing her but that didn't seem appropriate either. All in all she seemed relieved and encouraged to seek out medical help. Her daughter, whom is my age, came around and I think she's part of the problem. She seemed upset that her Mom would discuss her personal boobie problem with me.     That would have been a more even fight. Foot in mouth 

• retrievermom
    retrievermom Member Posts: 321
    edited February 2011

Well, "Sug" is an endearment in the South, and you are a sweetie for sharing that story.  I had an older lady compliment me yesterday in church, as we were sharing the "peace" and it really touched me, as I was having a bad morning.  I think our cancer community is much wider than we think.  The receptionist at my rads place, commenting on my hair growth the other day, revealed she is an ovarian cancer survivor.  Go sisters!

• violet7
    violet7 Member Posts: 22
    edited June 2010

I love that story, Sugar!  Love your screen-name as well :)

• Pamelajo
    edited June 2010

I let anyone who says "mammograms hurt so I don't go" look at my shark bite refurbished foobs.  You don't wanna be me.  Get em checked.

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618
    edited June 2010

My own sister didn't go in for mammos because they hurt.  Even after I got my dx she wouldn't.  Her husband's first wife succombed to BC, and he couldn't make her go.  I have heard throught the grapevine that she is finally going.

• lrm216
    lrm216 Member Posts: 534
    edited June 2010

Nice story, Sugar - thanks for sharing. 

Linda

• Pamelajo
    edited June 2010

Want me to send her a picture of my shark bite foobs Meece???  LOL

My sister nearly wet herself when I lifted my shirt to show her what can happen.  She was complaining about it hurting.  Boo hoo.  Doesn't hurt as bad as gettin em whacked off.

• sugar77
    edited June 2010

I was diagnosed in October '09 at 45 years old so my 52-year-old sister finally got it together and had a mammogram in December '09. She'd had a requistion for years and never got around to doing it .Fortunately it was clear.  Well she's now in a high risk category thanks to me so she'll be going yearly with no excuses! 

Sherri 

• Meece
    edited June 2010

I have no idea if my sister will be going regularly or not.  But it seems stupid that I have been having mammos since I was in my late twenties, and she waits until she's 50.  Well, age doesn't always make us wiser.

• sugar77
    edited June 2010

The irony for me is they don't do mammograms here until 50 but my doctor personally likes a baseline at 45 and I had no lump.  I just did the routine tests she wanted and vioila!!  My sister, on the other hand, is old enough for the regular provincial breast screening program and still never did it. Here's to hoping we'll both be clear going forward...

• indomitable1
    indomitable1 Member Posts: 136
    edited June 2010

Pamelajo-you are hilarious-"Boo hoo."

PauldingMom- I am so glad that you didn't "possibly give her a little slap upside the head" but I truly appreciate the sentiment. It's amazing.  And  Maybe the daughter is trying to get the inheritance.

Sugar-I appreciate the survivor sisterhood story. I was recently on a retreat and got in a kayak solo for the first time. A lady and her husband watched me & our group quite intently and were kind enough to smile without laughing. I saw her in the gift shop the next day where she shared that she was a 3 year survivor. TOO MANY OF US IN THIS CLUB!

Trying to wean myself (again) off of sugar/sugar substitutes. Keep your fingers crossed & say a prayer.

• retrievermom
    retrievermom Member Posts: 321
    edited February 2011

I was talking with my bro the other night on the phone when he revealed his wife has never followed up on a mammo, "because it means going to another place to have it done."  Gee.  How many of us get mammos in the doctor's office when he/she writes the order?  I reminded him that my bc was found on a routine mammo; another few months and who knows what that TN could have done?  Like Pamelajo says, boo hoo.  One trip to get a mammo versus numerous trips to the cancer center?  Get a clue.

• Meece
    edited June 2010

I cannot believe how women think that mammos are just an inconvenience.  They should try living with the reality of BC every single day.  Talk about an inconvenience!!!

• smithlme
    smithlme Member Posts: 383
    edited June 2010

I don't have to have mammos any more....having BC twice took care of that. That's what I tell all the "Boo Hooers" out there!

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671
    edited June 2010

Sugar: Great story!  Thanks for sharing.  I find that the more I talk about it the more people "come out" and share.  Way too manhy of us to count.

My cancer never showed up on a mamogram.  My breasts are too dense.  It only showed up on an ultrasound long after the fact.  I accidently found my lump.  They need to start offering other alternatives or include yearly MRI's that don't hurt.  I am lucky that in California, if you don't have insurance, it's covered by state MediCal.  If you have insurance here and it doesn't cover everything MediCal will also cover the difference. 

Sugar is a bitch (not you sugar77 LOL).  It's the one thing I have the hardest time giving up.  I have been an addict since I was very young.  Hey, maybe that's what causes TN!!  We all seem to have a sugar thing!  Seriously, it's a good thing I am more aware now.  I eat much better then I did before diagnosis.  I get more excercise.  I am more healthy all around. 

• jenn3
    jenn3 Member Posts: 388
    edited June 2010

Sugar - love the story

After my dx my sister and friends that had not had a mammogram or were behind in getting them, got them done.  I was 42 (almost 43) when my tumor showed up between mammograms.  With that said, it had been about 18 months, I was six months overdo because I had been dealing with my daughter who was very ill, but I had done a physical in which I was examined about 4-6 months prior to my dx and my dr, nor I felt anything.  I had no history of any  type of cancer in my family and in all honesty I was one of those women who thought a mammogram was a waste of time.  I did it because my doctor said to, but I really didn't think it was anything to worry about.  I found my lump with a self exam, didn't call the dr because I thought it was a cyst and waited for my regularly scheduled mammogram that was due in 6 weeks.  During that time I did search the internet for painful lumps and everything I came across said cancer doesn't hurt, so I wasn't in the least bit worried.  Here I am one year later with a bi-lat masectomy, chemo and radiation.....

• violet7
    violet7 Member Posts: 22
    edited June 2010

MBJ,  I don't know about sugar causing breast cancer - maybe it helps to feed it.  I do not have a sugar thing and have eaten a diet that would make Dr. Oz squeal with joy for the last 25 years.  I even limit fruit sugars.  I use agave nectar IF anything as a sweetner.  I really try to watch carbs because they act like sugar in the system.  I've been walking an hour a day at least forever.  My theory is that even TN starts off hormonal.  Having my children really threw me off hormonally.  I believe TN starts off hormonal then loses its receptors and is able to grow w/o the hormones.  I have seen several women now have a hormone positive biopsy and a triple neg pathology following surgery. 

• Pamelajo
    edited June 2010

My initial bc was er positive.  after chemo, the next lump was tn.  my onc said it mutated.  he said that the first chemo killed all the er receptors and left the cancer cells. 

who knows.  we might just be "prone" to wicked cells.  but i intend to beat all the wee beasties this time, so it never comes back.

• MBJ
    edited June 2010

Oh I doubt that sugar causes cancer, I just found it interesting that so many on this thread are obssessed with it LOL!  Of course I would get the wicked cells but I gave mine the wicked chemo and all that was left of my mass was spongy and dead.  It won't come back if it knows what's good for it!

• MBJ
    edited June 2010

Jenn, I waited also before I finally went.  Same thing: if it hurts it's not cancer.  Just goes to show that you can't believe everything you hear.

• MBJ
    edited June 2010

Violet:  I was a vegetarian for over 12 years when I got my diagnosis.  A car crash threw all of my hormones into a chaotic frenzy and nothing was working right.  I thought is was thyroids but then found out before the cancer diagnosis that I have Adrenal Exhaustion.

• Titan
    Titan Member Posts: 1,313
    edited June 2010

My freaking tumor hurt too...it was very close to the skin..I would say 11 o'clock if my breast were a clock (towards the armpit)..not all the time..mainly if I was exercising or anything that I got "heated" up...like  my son's basketball games..where I was jumping around and yelling at the refs or something...it just hurt...I remember telling my bs saying.that ."it hurts"....I just hated that thing..I'm so glad it is out and gone....it just freaks me out that we can grow this stuff in our bodies...and we did nothing for this to happen...I just don't understand it...

• sugar77
    edited June 2010

As you've probably seen in my earlier posts....I didn't have a palpable lump and had the tissue out before I knew what I had. However, my breast was sore in and around the area where it was removed and the muscles used to get really tight. I have not had that pain since I had the surgery.

Sherri 

• Pamelajo
    edited June 2010

none of my tumors over the last 22 years have ever hurt.  getting rid of them sucked tho.

My body is a highway to hell pathed with scars.....but, clothing covers them and I rarely give a crap unless someone points to one and asks about it (at the pool, etc. etc.)  I wear them like a badge. 

I think my body likes making cancer cells.  I've learned to embrace this concept and have started taking supplements which boost my NK (natural killer) cell production.  I also take herbal supplements to help build wbc's and rbc's....  Hodgkins wiped out my immune system, but since I've been on the "natual" plan, I rarely get colds or flu.  Just cancer. 

It's hilarious.......  my onc always asks me how I am when I see him for my infusion.  I say "great! how are you?"  he's all like "if you were great you wouldn't be here".  Which is true, however, I am great, other than just a lil cancer.  Never sick, great bp, no cholesterol trouble, no headaches, joint aches, or regular aging aches, no complaints.  If it weren't for cancer, I'd be the picture of health.  I pass every physical with flying colors.  So why let a lil thing like cancer worry me?

It isn't the cancer, it's the damage the drugs to treat the cancer are doing to me that I worry about.  Ejection Fraction down 10%....ugh.  Chemobrain (I used to be smart, now I'm chemotarded).  Maybe I'll bounce back.  I'm not a teenager anymore though.  Might be a little harder to start firing on all cylinders again this time.....  maybe I should be worried, but I'm just dense enough now not to care???  Yikes

I'd just like to know my name without askin for help remembering now and then.  Wait, what was the question?

• MicheleS
    MicheleS Member Posts: 196
    edited June 2010

"chemotarded"-- love the term!!!!!!

hope everyone has a great day!!

xxoo