Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Calling all TNs

Comments

• cc4npg
    cc4npg Member Posts: 438
    edited March 2011

Hope you have a wonderful birthday Laurajane!!!

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671
    edited March 2011

Laurajane:   Happy, happy Birthday to you!  I hope that spring is visiting you today and that the sun shows itself in celebration.  Big hugs!!! 

• MBJ
    edited March 2011

MonikaV:  Good luck on your exchange surgery today!

• Suze35
    Suze35 Member Posts: 559
    edited March 2011

Happy Birthday Laurajane!

• HeidiToo
    HeidiToo Member Posts: 965
    edited March 2011

Long morning:

7:30 Bone Density

8:00 Mammo

9:00 hair cut

11:00 Rads follow up

All good. Had to fortify myself with french pastries though... now it's nap time with puppies.

• MBJ
    edited March 2011

HeidiToo:  That is a long morning.  Glad everything looks good. French pastries, mmmmmmm.

• Swanny
    Swanny Member Posts: 118
    edited March 2011

Happy Birthday LJ.  How did your exhibit go or is it coming up?

• jenn3
    jenn3 Member Posts: 388
    edited March 2011

Yan - it sure would be nice if they could get that approved for TN patients.....too much waiting.

Happy Birthday LauraJane - hope you spent the day pampering yourself.

• Titan
    Titan Member Posts: 1,313
    edited March 2011

Hi Swanny!  Hi Teka!  Happy Birthday LJ!  And of course my twin Heidi...did you have a diagnostic mammo..or just a regular one...I'm having a regular one in May..I requested a diagnostic and they said no..a regular one is a good thing..a diagnostic is when there is something bad going on...I was like..excuse.me.I DID/DO have something bad going on...didn't change anything though..I just feel that women with BC should be told IMMEDIATELY whether they are Ok or not...now I will have to freak out for a couple of days..I think that sucks...

I don't know how many of you have dense breasts but I do..I read on here that taking Tamoxfin can reduce the density..not sure if that is just for the positives or not...I for one would like to take the Tamoxifin if it would reduce my density..or maybe I wouldn't...I dunno..I'm going to ask the onc next time when I see him..if I can remember...

Have a great weekend everyone...maybe spring is coming..maybe..we just had tons of snow again yesterday..and then the tsunimi (can spell it)..in Japan...and that crazy dude in Libya...sometimes I wonder about our world right now..it's scary..

• Huskerkkc
    Huskerkkc Member Posts: 471
    edited March 2011

Teka, I went to see that movie last weekend. Couldn't get my 15 yr old son to go but my husband and I went. It's great and movies are a GREAT escape from all this cancer drama! 

• sugar77
    sugar77 Member Posts: 1,328
    edited March 2011

Rango is next on our list.  I take my 11-year-old and her friend to the movies it seems every week or two these days.  We recently saw Justin Bieber: Never Say Never, Gnomeo and Juiliet, and Just Go With It, which were all pretty good.

• Huskerkkc
    Huskerkkc Member Posts: 471
    edited March 2011

We are a movie-crazed family and I just joined Netflix this week, thinking it might be a way to pass the time on my iPad when I'm sitting in chemo. 

• MonikaV
    MonikaV Member Posts: 148
    edited March 2011

Good morning girls, I had my exchange surgery yesterday. I feel okay. Pain is under control now. Have a great day. MBJ thanks for the good luck wishes.

Laurajane Happy belated birthday.

• cc4npg
    cc4npg Member Posts: 438
    edited March 2011
    MonikaV:  Feels good to be on the other side, doesn't it!?  Glad you're doing alright!
  • HeidiToo
    edited March 2011

Titan- it was a diagnostic. I was told the difference is in the insurance payment: screening is yearly & diagnostic is every six months. So, in order for my insurance (BC/BS) to pay for the 6 month mammos (typically to be done for a period of 2 years post Dx) it has to be coded as diagnostic.

I am now going to eliminate MSK and my BS, as the only reason I make that trek is for their annual screening and exam which I can get done more frequently (my med onc, rad onc and GP want me to get mammos every 6 months but MSK only does annual) right here at home. I figure I really don't need to continue seeing the BS (he does a good BE, but so does my rad onc) and that cuts one more doc out of this (seemingly)  endless cycle of doctor's visits.

I have four more this month alone: GP, neuro (for my occipital nerve block for migraines) sports med (going to try Botox in my neck to see if it will unseize the chronic stiffness from an old injury), and final ortho on my knee.

But now, I am headed out with my two Boston Terriers for a fun day with other BTs in a nearby dogpark.

27 days until Cherry Blossom Festival...

• MBJ
    edited March 2011

MonikaV:  So glad you are doing well--such a relief to be on the other side of this.  I hope you heal up quickly.  Don't forget:  no lifting or reaching or driving for a couple weeks.  Hugs!

Wow, Heidi:  That is alot of doctor visits.  You must be the healthiest woman on here to have so many interested in your well being!

• Luah
    Luah Member Posts: 626
    edited March 2011

Wow, trying to catch up after a week off - visiting my son in Whistler.

Regarding bogus claims, it's so unfair that there are people out there who take advantage of people with cancer by appealing to their basest fears and urgent will to live. I am very skeptical of any information that is not posted on the web site of a recognized medical journal (peer-reviewed research) or qualified cancer center. Suppliers of supplements can be the worst, imho, as they have skin in the game. It totally sucks, but that's the way it is, patient beware.

Kymn: Very good chance you will not require neulasta, as you are on a triweekly chemo regime. Many women find that their body builds back up their white blood count by week 3 and treatment progresses on schedule. (Many of the women here were on biweekly AC which does require neulasta). As for work, it's hard to know how you'll do with SEs until your chemo's underway, and even then it may change from cycle to cycle. My sister did FEC-D and found days 4-7 the worst. She probably could have worked 2 out of the 3 weeks, but had good benefits, so chose not to. If your work exposes you to lots of germs (working with children or needing to rely on public transit, for example), you may be better off taking a leave. I chose to work through my chemo, but I am self-employed, could choose my hours, and commute only 27 step! If your employer is flexible, maybe you could see how it goes...   

• Titan
    edited March 2011

Heidi..I'm on one year mammos already! (next one in May)..wasn't too happy about it.but it is what it is..My BS and Onc give one hell of a BE (onc every 3 months)..so I'm ok with that..Last time the onc said I wasn't as lumpy and bumpy!  WOO HOO!...He said everything was normal breast tissue...I think I will be seeing the onc every 3 months for awhile yet...I dumped the rad onc already...

Isn't it true (and correct me if I'm wrong..which I often am)..but that Tn's rarely reoccur in the breast...I would prefer that the focus be mostly on the rest of me.

We had sun on Ohio today!  Yippee! 

• mitymuffin
    mitymuffin Member Posts: 242
    edited March 2011

This was posted on the TNBC Foundation talk forum, and its from the TNBC conference in London, a talk by Dr. Lisa Carey of UNC (renowned TNBC doc and professor):

http://www.cancernetwork.com/conference-reports/mbcc2011/content/article/10165/1817148

• HeidiToo
    edited March 2011
    Titan- I was told only about 5% recur in breast...
  • HeidiToo
    edited March 2011

A quick photo from yesterday's Boston Terrier Meet-Up. I call it:

Eating a Bassett Hound... sort of.

• MBJ
    edited March 2011

Heidi:  They are so cute!!!

Titan:  I didn't know that, or I forgot (chemo brain).  Glad you saw some sun today.  Spring is coming and it can't come fast enough.

• Titan
    edited March 2011

Heidi..your dogs are so doggone cute..I had a toy fox terrier when I was growing up..named Friskie..he was black and white also...I miss that dog! Everything was fine until he decided to catch a milk truck in our driveway..Yikes!

• MonikaV
    MonikaV Member Posts: 148
    edited March 2011

Good morning girls. Heidi love the pic.

Ok I am up today and the pain med makes me dizzy and nauseated. UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't like taking meds. I ask my DH to go get me Tylenol extrastrenght instead. Have a good day everyone.

• Claire82
    Claire82 Member Posts: 490
    edited March 2011

Where do TNC reoccur?

• Luah
    Luah Member Posts: 626
    edited March 2011

TN mets often show up in soft tissue - lungs, liver and brain. Less likely than other BCs to show up in bones.

• Claire82
    Claire82 Member Posts: 490
    edited March 2011

Have you all had body scans? Should I request one?

• navymom
    navymom Member Posts: 842
    edited March 2011

Mitymuffin--Thanks for posting the link.  Question for all....Has anyone been told that their tumor was "Basal-like?"  I just put that on my question list for my next onc appointment.

Navy

• navymom
    navymom Member Posts: 842
    edited March 2011

Claire--I had chest, abdominal, pelvic CT, and a bone scan for initial staging.  Then had them repeated one month after final chemo per my onc request.  An enlarged axillary node was seen on my BC side so had to go for a pet scan.  Had that repeated 6 months later and again 5 months later.  At this point Onc will order scans if I want or will just keep me under observation with physical exams every3 to 6 months.  Its my choice.

Navy

• swiftbird
    swiftbird Member Posts: 78
    edited March 2011

HI Ladies, it's been awhile.  Since last I posted, I accepted a new job that moved me to Washington DC area; so I'm commuting from coast to coast. Life has moved on and I am trying to, but wow, I find myself thinking "hey, exactly a year ago, I just had my second chemo..." and it all comes back... 

I am coming up on my first follow up next monday (21st) and am in fear and dread of it. pre-test anxiety. which is sort of strange because having gone through this, and come out this ordeal a little worse for wear but doing pretty well-- I know I can handle just about anything after facing what I did last year; but on the other hand, the not knowing and guessing is I think about one of the worst things about this process, isn't it?  *wringing hands* I'm nervous I still have a sore breast from time to time; and strange pangs at lumpectomy site; and unusual fatigue from time to time. Being 5 months out from radiation, my logical mind (and this great bc.org site) tells me this is all normal, but I will admit to you fellow travelers that I am nervous.