Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Calling all TNs

Comments

• Pamelajo
    Pamelajo Member Posts: 124
    edited June 2010

I had latissimus dorsi in March.  I'm supposed to be "about done" with fills (I think my PS is a boob man) but I reminded him I do not make my living on a pole. ;)  Recon isnt fun Pamdo.......but it is so worth it in the end.

Glad your results were good Kittycat.....  I know how it is to wait.  Once you start you know you have a finish in sight. 

I will finish my 4 a/c's two days after my cancerversary

• Ricki13
    Ricki13 Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2010

@newalex  Yes I had micro-mets in the node.  No DCIS.  I had a number of what the surgeon described as 'micro-tumours' around the main tumour which was poorly differentiated, and thus the need for re-excision.  Out of 9 on the grading scale I scored a 9 (always was a high achiever!) hence, averaged to a 3.

@chicknz I'm also in the control group for Beatrice!  Finished the 12 month blood work part recently and now being monitored.  The regular contact gives me a little more assurance I guess!

@kittycat  Good luck with #1!  Will be thinking of you...hope you tolerate it well!

Incidentally was also BRCA negative with no family history. My sister has a rare form of sarcoma so they also checked us for Li-Fraumeni syndrome....also negative.  I'm sure in the generations to come they'll figure out why some of us get this and most people don't but for now, it's a mystery! 

• Titan
    Titan Member Posts: 1,313
    edited June 2010

Welcome to the new ladies we have on this thread.  ..there are so many of us here that I find it hard to believe that TN's are only what..15% of breast cancers?  I think someone is screwed up...

LRM..itchy breast....I'm trying to think back now if my breast lump was itchy..and now I think that it just may have been.....

• riley702
    riley702 Member Posts: 575
    edited June 2010

I didn't have itching, but I did have pain - but not until during chemo! I would imagine that it was hurting because it was dying, and that gave me a lot of satisfaction. It seems to really be true, though; my onc says it's no longer palpable, even though I have 2 more rounds to go. I think it's true about TN tumors being more affected by chemo because they're so aggressive: they grow like crazy, but feed them poison and they suck in the bad stuff fast, too. My tumor has gone from 4 - 4.5 cm to non-palpable. Now to finish up my chemo and cut this bad boy out!

And apropos of nothing but that I just saw it, I have to share a link on YouTube to an ad from England. It's a PSA encouraging seat belt use, and it may be the best PSA I've ever seen. No words and no gore - just a pretend accident that made me cry happy tears!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-8PBx7isoM

• PauldingMom
    PauldingMom Member Posts: 392
    edited June 2010

This Topic is so busy. Thank yo so much Titan for starting it. Talked to Rads. doctor yesterday and try as they might they couldn't find anything wrong with me! They don't want to see me for an entire year. I'm so happy. 

• vbabey
    vbabey Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2010

Hello sisters!  Great thread Titan! I turned 46 in April. I was dx'd on 9/16/09 with tnbc, stage III with axilla packed lymph node all found through core biposy and needle aspiration. Hubby had found the lump couple of  week prior, it has been a whirlwind since. BRACA neg, Tumor was 9 cm (yikes!) by the time chemo started, always had my yearly mammo and had a breast exam in early July with my obgyn  so don't know where this came from...started chemo on 9/30 4 AC every two wks, then 4 cisplatin and taxotere, every three weeks.Thank God,  had complete response to chemo. Had bi-lat-masectomy in Feb, axilla removed only, no cancer in that so no more removed.  TEs put in, developed hematoma, so another emergency surgury and blood transfusion thrown in for good measure , then 36 RADS to breast and clavcl nodes, and 3 boosters to axilla...recovering from RADS and will switch out sometime in September...hope my skin is good to go! Unlike my hair which is taking FOREVER to grow in... try to focus not on odds published, but on my diet, very little meat, very little sugar, will not buy the dirty dozen fruit and veggies unless they are organic, wheat grass every day...took no vitamins except D during treatment, now on vitamin D3 plus a multi vitamin and looking into adding more of something...anybody have info on this? I miss the good ole days of course but happy to be here!

Riley702-I agree, LOVE that ad, posted it on my facebook recently!  Have read all of your battles and thinking of each and everyone of you...we need to stay informed like this. Good luck to all!

• maryvanessa1
    maryvanessa1 Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2010

WOW TITAN,  THANKS FOR YOUR UPLIFTING AND ENCOURAGING POST ABOUT

CANCER SURVIVORS.  I WOULD LIKE TO ADD MY DAD TO THAT LIST,  HE WAS

DIAGNOSED WITH A FAST GROWING LUNG CANCER AND WAS TOLD HE HAD 3 MONTHS TO LIVE.  OUR FAMILY FELL APART, BUT NOT HIM, HE SAID HE WOULD KICK IT IN 6 MONTHS,  HE USED TO GO STRAIGHT TO WORK AFTER CHEMO...WITH A GREAT POSITIVE ATTITUDE AND A BELIEF IN GOD,  HE DID KICK IT, THAT WAS 14 YEARS AGO, MY DAD JUST TURNED 84  AND HE HAS MORE ENERGY THAN ME, MY MOM AND MY SISTER!!!! 

I JUST GOT DIAGNOSED WITH DCIS,   TRIPLE NEG.  I FEEL THE SAME ABOUT FEELING LUCKY NOT TO HAVE TO TAKE HORMONES BUT STILL FEEL SCARED AS TO WHAT MAY HAVE BROUGHT IT ON.  MY SISTER SAID CHEESE HAS BEEN KNOWN AND I EAT A LOT OF CHEESE.  ANYWAY,  ASIDE FROM RADIATION WHICH I WILL BE GETTING SHORTLY, I HAVE MADE AN APPT WITH AN INTERGRATIVE DR. AT SLOAN KETTERING TO SEE HER ASSESSMENT OF MY CONDITION  AND WHAT DIET/HERBS/ALTERNATIVE MEDS SHE MAY USE TO HELP MY STAVE OFF THE ANY RECURRENCE AND MAKE MY BODY AND IMMUNE SYSTEM STRONGER.  I DO WISH I WAS LIKE MY DAD,  FEARLESS AND FAITHFUL,  I AM TERRIFIED OF A REPEAT,  BUT KNOW I CAN CHOOSE TO THINK EITHER POSITIVE OR NEGATIVE.   I WISH YOU ALL GOOD LUCK AND PEACEFUL MIND AND MOST OF ALL  BEST OF HEALTH...    

• Luah
    Luah Member Posts: 626
    edited June 2010

Great news, Kittycat. Glad to hear you're on your way. Sending you good vibes for minimal SEs.

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671
    edited June 2010

maryvanessa:  I was intrigued by the dairy-cancer connection. I loooove dairy but now only allow it in very, very limited amounts.  There is much information about this in the book "the China Study"  but I also found it in a google search which is an interesting read and I think could help anyone with cancer: http://www.rense.com/general35/av.htm  I would love to hear others input on this.

kittycat: best of luck with your treatment and here's hoping you have very little side effects,

vbaby:  you will find a ton of info on the alternative thread.  I take so many supplements it makes my head spin.

• jenn3
    jenn3 Member Posts: 388
    edited June 2010

Checking in.......looks like this thread has been busy these last few days.

Welcome to the new ladies.

Kittycat - glad to hear you're getting your treatment started, waiting seems to be the hardest.

• Titan
    Titan Member Posts: 1,313
    edited June 2010

Good lucky Kittycat...sending big hugs to you..glad you are getting started to kick this freaking cancer out of you..and it will happen.

I grew up on a dairy farm and I hate milk..I don't know..never been a dairy lover much to the chagrin of my parents..I don't know why we have this cancer....but I'm so glad "they" are working on it for us...hopefully something will happen very very soon for we tns.  It would be nice if we could get a shot or pill that that there are no se's...know chemo is good for us..but YIKES...chemo sucks!

I too do the alternative along with the chemo/rads..I figure doing both has to help...sometimes I hear about the long lasting se's of chemo...but you know what...I would do it again..just my very humble opinion.

• maryvanessa1
    maryvanessa1 Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2010

Re: the cheese, I think it has to do with the hormones they shoot into the cows.  They do it with meat also..  whatever these farmers are giving these animals could be damaging to humans.  i hear we need to shop more at organic stores.  Their produce have  no pesticides or other toxins. im just learning about his myself... just trying to figure out what fueled the cancer for me since i am triple neg.  Will be interesting to see if the intergrative dr. at sloan has any ideas.  we, triple negs are not unheard of or rare, there may be a lot more out there, accord. to a lady whose sister works at sloan kettering, nyc,  she said breast cancer is so common. One day i believe there will be a shot or pill that will work for all us.  Theres a lot of brainy people out there and I am sure any one of them would like to be the one that finds that cure.   

• sugar77
    sugar77 Member Posts: 1,328
    edited June 2010

In Canada the use of artificial growth hormones, antibiotics in dairy cows is illegal. For example, if a cow has been on antibiotics within two days, the milk cannot be sold. For chicken, pork and beef, I buy the natural kind that is raised without the use of hormones or antibiotics.  I agree there seems to be so much more breast cancer than ever before.  It's scary because routine mammogram screening isn't done here in Ontario until age 50, unless a doctor requests it to be done sooner. 

• kittycat
    kittycat Member Posts: 1,155
    edited June 2010

First chemo went well.  No major side effects.  A little sinus headache when they did the Cytoxan.  I took my hubby over to the wig shop.  He loves my "new color" - blonde with some reddish brown streaks.  We went home, watched a movie and relaxed on the sofa.  I had a sandwich and a few snacks.  I've been taking my prescribed meds. Wish me luck with little to no SE's!!!!  Please!!!!

• retrievermom
    retrievermom Member Posts: 321
    edited February 2011

kittycat:  Sounds like it went well.  Everyone's pulling for you to get thru easily.  Don't forget to drink more water than you ever thought possible.  It really will help.

• kittycat
    edited June 2010

I've easily had more than 2 liters so far since chemo!!!  I just keep drinking it and drinking it.  My pee was red from the Adriamycin, but it's going more clear now!  Yeah - I know - TMI!  :)

• sugar77
    edited June 2010

Kittycat - Drink enough water so you will pee every two hours. Since you're on steroids and won't be able to sleep anyway, you might was well be up peeing out the stuff! We're all here cheering you on. You can do it. Hang in there.

Sherri 

• kittycat
    edited June 2010

Thanks Sherri!   I haven't counted how many times I've peed, but I'll start paying attention to my peeing regimen!  LOL!!  Water Water Water!!!

• MtnMom
    MtnMom Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2010

Thanks to everyone who has responded and to Titan for starting...I feel like I'm late to the game even though this thread wasn't started too long ago!

I was diagnosed 11/12/09 at 39 years old.  I felt the lump myself as I was too young to start routine screening (no family history).  Chemo first (4AC, 4 Taxol in a dose dense regimen) had a complete pathological response yay! and a lumpectomy and am currently in radiation...I will finish June 30 (31 rads, 9 of which are boosts).  I have moments where I can freak myself out about recurrence, but usually am able to maintain my neuroses :o), and while bc sucks and it's been a long haul I consider myself lucky to have had great doctors and also to have been diagnosed at a time when this disease can be beat (even Triple Neg!)

For those just starting their fight, know you can do it, (and your hair does grow back!) and for those of you who have won the fight, keep on fightin'!

• kittycat
    edited June 2010

Mtmmom - thanks for sharing your story with us!  I'm so glad things went well for you.  I am also doing AC/T.  Just got my 1st treatment today.  I hope I'm doing as well as you next year!!  :)

• MtnMom
    MtnMom Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2010

Kittykat:  Thanks for the warm welcome!  I wish you luck on your chemo, you can do it.  If you ever want any advice or need to vent feel free to let me know.  Everyone goes through chemo differently and there is no wrong way to do it.  I was able to work full-time for the most part through mine and I think it did help to keep me from dwelling on things...plus my 7 and 3 year old reminded me daily that cancer or no cancer the world still revolved around them :o

The only unsolicited advice I'll give you is that it really helped for me to play word games, especially timed ones on the computer or my phone.  I was actually more worried about "chemo brain" than I was about losing my hair because of my ability to do my job well...I'm not 100% yet, but I think it did really help me stay sharp. 

• kittycat
    edited June 2010

Mtnmom -  I am planning on working through chemo.  I took today off to start, but we will see how each day brings.  One of the girls from my work started on Wednesdays because by Friday night, she started to feel fatigued by then.  She would rest over the weekend and would be okay after that - enough to work.  I am lucky because I can work from my computer, too.  Thanks for the ideas of doing word games.  I really like word games, too!  :)

• Pamelajo
    edited June 2010

Kittycat, I take my A/C on Fridays (have my last one tomorrow).  By Tuesday I am feeling much better and ready to return to 10 hour days at work.  Since I work 4 ten hour days, I felt starting on Friday was good so I didn't have to use leave.  Unfortunately, I still do not feel well enough to return on Monday, but oh well.  Usually just really tired and headachey....  No nausea.  Claritin for bone pain.  I did much better on the Adriamycin (except the ejection fraction decline) than I did on Taxotere.

Worst SE from the adriamycin for me has been sores in my mouth.  I got them really really bad after the second treatment.  I did the Mary's Magic Mix.......didn't help.  Ate yogurt, helped some but not much.  Soooo, I called the Onc's office and they prescribed Diflucan.  It's generally for yeast infections.  Cleared it right up.  I'm a habitual tooth brusher, but somehow, I got thrush.  Not the normal white looking thrush, just really red almost scalded looking places in my mouth.  Everything I ate seemed 1,000 degree's.....  I caught myself blowing on ice cream to cool it LOL

Good luck Darlin.  Recurrence sucks, but....  we are proof that even if it happens, the doctors can fix it.

• Pamelajo
    edited June 2010

Kittycat, I take my A/C on Fridays (have my last one tomorrow).  By Tuesday I am feeling much better and ready to return to 10 hour days at work.  Since I work 4 ten hour days, I felt starting on Friday was good so I didn't have to use leave.  Unfortunately, I still do not feel well enough to return on Monday, but oh well.  Usually just really tired and headachey....  No nausea.  Claritin for bone pain.  I did much better on the Adriamycin (except the ejection fraction decline) than I did on Taxotere.

Worst SE from the adriamycin for me has been sores in my mouth.  I got them really really bad after the second treatment.  I did the Mary's Magic Mix.......didn't help.  Ate yogurt, helped some but not much.  Soooo, I called the Onc's office and they prescribed Diflucan.  It's generally for yeast infections.  Cleared it right up.  I'm a habitual tooth brusher, but somehow, I got thrush.  Not the normal white looking thrush, just really red almost scalded looking places in my mouth.  Everything I ate seemed 1,000 degree's.....  I caught myself blowing on ice cream to cool it LOL

Good luck Darlin.  Recurrence sucks, but....  we are proof that even if it happens, the doctors can fix it.

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671
    edited June 2010

Kittcat:  I am glad things are going well.  I didn't have side effects until day 3 or 4 and it was only 2 days of bleh. 

Pamelajo:  I lived on popsicles during chemo but the mouth sores were the worst!

QUESTION:  How many of you have taken some kind of birth control pill or HRT?  There was a study done in the UK in 2009 that points directly to the use of these hormones and Triple Negative Cancer.

Here is the link:  http://www.womens-health.co.uk/pill-causes-breast-cancer.html

• jenweg
    jenweg Member Posts: 55
    edited June 2010

MBJ, I was on birth control pills for years and I did read about that connection between the triple negative and birth control.  That worries me because I am brca 2 positive and have two daughters on birth control pills.

• LNFletch
    LNFletch Member Posts: 12
    edited June 2010

MBJ- I took birth control from my teens to my mid twenties. Just before I was diagnosed I got a prescription for birth control and took them for two weeks before I found the lump, then I stopped after reading about how birth control pills can lead to cancer. I thought it was more about the er/pr+ girls. I stopped anyway.

Kittykat- make sure you take a Claritin before your neulasta shot. I think it has to be Claritin D. I don't know where your tumor is, but it was nice to be able to feel it shrink. I thought it was my imagination until I had confirmation from my Onco.

MtnMom- I still do word games because I thought playing the games would help with chemo brain too. I'm addicted now. 

• Summer38
    Summer38 Member Posts: 96
    edited June 2010

Wow, so many newcomers -Welcome!!!!! Laughing

MaryVanessa - I'd be very interested to hear what the integrative Dr. from Sloan has to say.

Kittycat - Glad you're 1st treatment went smoothly and I hope you remain SE free!

• gillyone
    gillyone Member Posts: 495
    edited June 2010

I do adduko and kakuro online every day. Also took birth control pills in 20s and 30s.

• sugar77
    edited June 2010

I took birth control pills for years starting in my teens as I used to get really bad cramps and it helped.  I then took them off and on through my 20's and 30's. I haven't taken in 11 years. I'll have to check out the article at the link MJB provided.