Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Calling all TNs

Comments

• Titan
    Titan Member Posts: 1,313
    edited September 2010

LMAO at all these posts!   Except for yours Cathy...that must have been a sight..you bleeding all over the place...ah well..maybe they will consider you very special and keep a good eye on you..!

And thanks for the hair tip MJB...something needs to be done! 

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671
    edited September 2010

You are so welcome.  Love that stuff!  It's a miracle worker on chemo curls.

• jenn3
    jenn3 Member Posts: 388
    edited September 2010

Laurajane/retrivermom - I didn't sleep well during chemo no matter what I tried (sleep medications, exercise, eating, not eating, etc). As much as I hate to say it, you may have disrupted sleep during chemo whether or not you're taking medications or trying other things.  I would suggest  when you have a chance to sleep, take it, even if it's in the middle of the day.  At night if you can't sleep, don't lay there getting annoyed, get out of bed walk around the house, read a book or jump on this site and complain.....   Good luck, I know it's frustrating, but it will get better.

Cathy - I can't imagine what you went through......Wow!

• sugar77
    sugar77 Member Posts: 1,328
    edited September 2010

MBJ- what product is a miracle worker on chemo curls? I want to find of it!!

• PauldingMom
    PauldingMom Member Posts: 392
    edited September 2010

(((((Pink Hugs Cathy)))))

• MBJ
    edited September 2010

Sugar:  I don't know if you have a RiteAide there, just the local drug store, ya know? It's Marc Anthony Straight hair cream.  When my hair is still damp I put a good dallop of it in my hands, rub my hands together, run it all through my hair and I can get away with finger styling it and using a comb for my "baby" bangs and it actually looks like a style that I asked for.  My DH loves it!  I have never been able to do this even with my pre chemo hair, so I'm calling it a miracle product.  You can probably get it on line, since everything is on line!

I have some kind of flu virus, but as soon as my nose is no longer huge, stuffy, runny and red, I will post my new hair!

• MBJ
    edited September 2010

PS:  *It's the only product I have found tht says it instantly straightens hair without a blowdryer, which just gi ves me a frizz ball fluff cotton head!

• sugar77
    sugar77 Member Posts: 1,328
    edited September 2010

MBJ - we don't have RiteAide here but our Shoppers Drug Mart does sell Marc Anthony so I'll check it out.  Funny..I've been doing the opposite as i've put a serum/balm on my hair that's for curls.  I figured I'd go with the flow, so to speak.  I've never had curls before so I must say I am enjoying them.  That said, I'm going to give the straight cream a try, too, for a different look.  My bangs are now past my eye brows but they curl up and look much shorter.  My new avatar photo was taken in August so they are a bit longer now.  Thanks for the information about the product.

• jenn3
    jenn3 Member Posts: 388
    edited September 2010

MBJ - If you don't dry the curly hair and/or use the diffuser just to take the dampness out it helps with the frizzies or as I like to call them the fluff.  My avatar is outdated, but I have lots of curls now, probably about where Sugar's is in her avatar.  We tried to straighten it, but it doesn't like the straight look - I may try the "miracle" cream you mentioned to see what happens. 

• laurajane
    laurajane Member Posts: 305
    edited September 2010

I love hearing about what to do with hair when it starts to grow back. Gives me something to look forward to. I think the Taxol is working for the first time since I was diagnosed in May I can actually feel my tumor is much smaller. It makes me so happy since nothing really changed much after the AC. I get my 6th taxol on Thursday 1/2 way there. I remember reading other people on here being at the 1/2 way point of Taxol and now I am actually here. Yeah!!! No major SE's either. I have been having unusual food cravings though. Scary non healthy ones that I can't resist. Tonight I am having a cheeseburger with grilled onions, smothered in swiss cheese and shitaki mushrooms, baked potato with creme top organic yogurt and a big salad with blue cheese crumbles, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Weird, I typically don't even like burger. I hope it taste as good as I have been fantasizing about for two days. If I have the energy I might just bake myself a chocolate cake. I've never been a chocolate fan but Taxol has turned me into one big time. I've been trying to eat so healthy tonight will be a fun relapse.

• Claire82
    Claire82 Member Posts: 490
    edited September 2010

How can you eat while on chemo lol

everything tasted like metal to me :(

• MBJ
    edited September 2010

Laurajane:  That's so funny!  Once I had that couple days of metal mouth, I would crave all things protein to the point where I am no longer a vegetarian--I now eat grass fed organic meat, chicken, turkey, turkey bacon.  All things protein.  What I've noticed after all the chemo, surgeries, etc, is that I seem to have great bone/muscle loss!  I just finished the book Forever Young, which is a great resource for diet and maintaining health, especially for women with BC or Chemo/menopause!  I just bought the Chia seeds which are supposed to be all the good of flax without the bad (good if you are dieting, too) and Green Magma which is chock full of good stuff and if you are trying to grow hair, this stuff should help cause it helps build bone & muscle!  I want my health baaaaaaack!

Jenn3:  Blow drying my hair with tons of products was the only way I could control my wavy/cowlicked hair and bangs-until chemo gave me kinky frizz galore LOL!  So I would have to agree with you, in that, with the chemo hair, forget the blowdryer!!!  I miss my bangs and they are now about a 1/2 inch over my eyebrow which is huge!

For those of you dealing with SE's from chemo, the Forever Young book, although very technical, is so informative as to how you can continue to live a long, healthy life.  It made me realize that chemo caused vitamin and mineral deficiencies are largely to blame for some of these SE's and using something as simple as adding Green Magma to a protein drink can give you extra magnesium and calcium and also upping your Vit D3/K1 can also help with those SE's!   I refuse to succumb to BC again and I just wanted to share all this great stuff I am learning that we can do.  Oh, yeah:  Green Magma:  Good for hair, nails and skin!!!

• kad22
    kad22 Member Posts: 58
    edited September 2010

Hi Everyone!!

I am DONE!!!!! Finished my last Taxol today! No more for me. My onc said I am in remission and to come back to see him in 3 months! YEAH!!!!

Now on to the reconstruction! Can't wait. Need to reschedule the appt. to see the PS to schedule the surgery!

Today my big toes are numb, side of face hurts, etc etc etc.... but I don't care because I AM DONE!!!!

As you can tell I am little hopped up on steriods right now but o-well b-cuz I am done!! He He LOL

Can't wait to do some of the things to my hair mentioned here! It will start to happen now that I AM DONE!!! Tongue out

Can't tell that I am happy at all! Thanks to you all for the encouraging words to get me through this journey and I know that there is still many months ahead to go through but no more going back and being stuck 5 x's (yes today I was stuck that many times once again) to the chemo center!

You are all the best C sisters in the world! Thanks

Kelli

• laurajane
    edited September 2010

Kad22- Yeahh!!!!! So happy for you. You are Done!!! Done!! Done!!! I love that word "Remission"

Claire and MBJ- For some reason the metallic taste hasn't been that bad on Taxol. I lost over 20lbs on AC. I kind of liked loosing that wieght I have to be careful to not gain it all back. I've ben told the steroids used with Taxol can make me gain wieght? I think I am making up for not eating anything but soup for two months. I only eat organic grass fed also and mainly beans, chicken and fish as protein. I usually gag at the idea of eating a burger. LOL and loving it as we speak. I'll check out that book and the green good for you stuff. Thanks for recommending it. Have a great evening.

• MBJ
    edited September 2010

Kad22:   YAY FOR YOU!!!!   WAHOOOOEEEE!!!! Time for Celebrating!

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618
    edited August 2013

Kad22, go all out and celebrate.  You got through it! Congratulations!

• MBJ
    edited September 2010

laurajane:  I lost alot of weight on chemo, too, although I didn't do AC+T,  Then I recently got a virus, and lost an extra 10 pounds so now I have to gain at least 5 of it back because my clothes are falling off-not attractive!

• navymom
    navymom Member Posts: 842
    edited September 2010

Ok,  you  ladies quit losing weight............I am finding every pound!  And it seems each pound is bring friends!!  Chemo/menopause stinks.  I am back to my exercise routine but my metabolism hasn't figured it out yet.

Kad22....congrats on finishing chemo.  Yay for you.
    Navy

• laurajane
    edited September 2010

MBJ- Hope you are over the flu and feeling healthy again. I bet you look great. For the record, made the dinner I have been craving but it tasted so much better in my dreams. I guess I do still have the metallic taste in my mouth. Oh well it was fun thinking about it and making it. My son loved it.

navymom- Congrats on your exercise routine, I need to start doing that myself. I feel like I have all of this energy but then I fade pretty quickly. I think chemo has made me lazy.

• MBJ
    edited September 2010

laurajane:  I ws so inspired by your meal idea that I cooked tonight but my husband had steak and I had salmon!  I didn't know you had a son!  How old is he?

• kittycat
    kittycat Member Posts: 1,155
    edited September 2010

I've been taking the L Glutamine (about 10-20 grams a day).  It seems to be working, but I don't want to jinx myself.  Are you ladies taking it daily while on Taxol or the 4 days after chemo (starting 24 hours after chemo)?  Just wondering.

I am halfway through weekly Taxol and I'm starting to see some hair growth on my head (like peach fuzz).  Did you gals that took Taxol start getting your hair back on it?  Did it fall out again?  Just wondering what to expect. 

• Swanny
    Swanny Member Posts: 118
    edited September 2010

Kelli -  Congratulations that you are done!  I have one more to go on Sept 30th and then I will be done too!.  Together we will all get there.

• Luah
    Luah Member Posts: 626
    edited September 2010

Kad22:  Congratulations on finishing treatment. You did it!!!!

Laurajane: I never had any metallic taste and put on about 6-8 pounds while on chemo (which I've since lost).  I do recall my guilty pleasure was MacD's Angus burgers - I'd get one practically every week after my taxol treatment!  My younger son teased me about the junk food, as I hadn't stepped foot in a MacD's since he was a kid (he's 18 now), but I just had a craving for hamburgers and chocolate milk! 

Kittycat: Yes, the best thing about weekly taxol is that you'll start to see some hair regrowth - many ladies have commented on that.  Mine came in as whitish fuzz, starting around week 6. It never fell out again, just gradually got stronger, and darker (well, now I'm dying it anyway).

• HeidiToo
    HeidiToo Member Posts: 965
    edited February 2011

Since we have been talking about hair recently, I thought I would post this stylish picture that appears to address both problems...

• navymom
    navymom Member Posts: 842
    edited September 2010

Oh My!

• Jwatrlily
    Jwatrlily Member Posts: 65
    edited August 2013

Had the Look Good...Feel Better class from the ACS last night and got my head shaved.  The makeup stuff is nice, Bobby Brown products as well as other nice things.  I'm doing ok with the head shaved.  It is a weird sense of almost a "freeing" sensation.  Hate the wig they provided me.  Doubt I'll ever wear it or may buy a different one.  It has wayyyyyy to much hair for how I wear my hair.  I see me being a scarves and hats person.  I may get to the point and say screw it and don't wear anything either.  I was surprised my head has a nice oval shape and doesn't look bad at all.  Today is kind of a "sickie" day with some mild queasiness.

Biggest issue today is bleeding hemorrhoids.  I think I am going to have to see my Onc for an exam this afternoon.  Yesterday they bled quite a bit but today it was much less and I'm doing the MiraLax and Colace stool softeners but the Onc says he needs to examine me to make sure I haven't got a tear or fissure as a possible breeding ground for infection.  I've had these cussed things all my adult life practically (my first baby was 8.8 lbs).  Thing is, I'm not constipated as I'm going every day a little at least and I'm not straining at the stool at all, as everything seems to pass easy if I stay on the stool softeners, but the bleeding is there anyway because my hemorrhoids are so chronic.  I've asked them to prescribe Proctocort cream as my Dad had colon cancer and he swears by it.  Sorry to be so outspoken about this nasty issue but I have no one else to talk to about it but you girls.  I'll let you know if I see the Onc and what he says.  UGH!  I just hate to go have that kind of exam with him but will do what I have to so that I will be ok.

Juanita 

• PauldingMom
    PauldingMom Member Posts: 392
    edited September 2010

Way to go Kelli!!!

Don't worry about it Jwatrlily. We have all had potty problems and discussed them on this site at one time or another. Hope your doc fixes you up really soon. Sounds terribly painful.

• Lynne3times
    Lynne3times Member Posts: 13
    edited September 2010

Laurajane, I agree with retrievermom, my dear SIL gave my sister and I copies of the secret book when I had a recurrance 2 years ago, read the first two chapters, promply closed it and donated to salvation army. I am definitely not claiming responsibilty for BRCA1 mutation and all associated cancer. My sister was given one too, hers went into a garage sale, the only secret I can tell you is get rid of that book! (sorry secret fans)

Titan/MLB: Omg, I can't believe that curly hair can grow in curlier, glad I have something to look forward to, lol. I have been a Shirley Temple my entire life. Thanks for the suggestions on the Marc Anthony cream. Right now I am about 6 weeks post taxol/carbo chemo, eyebrows growing back fast! eyelashes just starting, also need to start using upper lip dipilatory cream again, can't say I missed that much! I have about 1/16th of an inch of hair on my head, cannot wait until that starts really growing but will take a while to look like hair since we know how much curly hair "shrinks" in length.

Cathy, the gusher you experienced sounds scary, I would have gotton a queasy stomach. Hope things are on the right path of healing now.

Kadzz, WTG and congrats on your remission, it feels wonderful doesn't it? Juanita, sorry you have to deal with that aggravation as well. Good Luck at the Dr's.

Lynne

• HeidiToo
    HeidiToo Member Posts: 965
    edited February 2011

jwatrlily- Have your hairdresser trim down the wigs to a less Phyliss Diller look. That's what I did because, like you, it was *way* too much hair for me.

• laurajane
    edited September 2010

Hi all, hope everyone is having a good day. All right, throwing out "The Secret" today. 

MBJ- I have a son who is 17 and a Junior in high school. I also have a daughter who is 25, married and they have a 1yr old little boy. I just adore them all. My husband passed away in 2001. I worry about them worrying so I try and just act normal and optimistic about all that is going on. Which is why I enjoy the openness and frankness we can have on here.

Lynn3times-Funny but when I started Taxol my hair started growing back white peach fuzz also, then my eyebrows and eyelashes started falling out and now my hair on my head is starting to fall back out. I now have to shave my legs and pluck my mustache and beard again. LOL

Jwatrlily- I am sorry you are having to go through this. I hope your doc can help you.