Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

2010 Sisters

Options

Comments

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548
    Options

Samsue-check out lifemath.net. They have a calculator similar to what the Oncs use (Adjuvant Online) and it gives the mortality figures with various treatment options. Keep researching. I am. I have until next Wednesday to make up my mind (and I think I already have, actually).

• Dilly
    Dilly Member Posts: 394
    Options

Hi Ladies - sorry to meet you under these circumstances, a few of you I've met through other forums. I'm grateful for BCO for the opportunity to connect with others.

Add me to the 2010 dx & tx list.  dx 4/22/10; 4/28 lumpectomy + SNB = IDC, <1cm, Stage 1b, Grade 2; ER95%+/PR-; HER2-; Oncotype DX 25.  Lots of choices.  Partly because of my age, I've chosen no chemo, but rads (19+8+6; the rad onc does boosts in the middle; ongoing, I have the last 6 whole-breast tx to go), and next I will give Arimidex a shot and see how we get along; (if not able to tolerate Arimidex, then may ask onc about Femara,, which apparently doesn't have quite the SEs, or alternatively,Tamoxifen.) Had a DEXA scan and (yay!) will begin A with decent "normal range" density, and hope to maintain or improve what's there through exercise & Calcium & D, daily aspirin, & good food.

I also had 4mm (yes, mm) DCIS 1996.  tx: Lumpectomy only & mindful watching. We caught this IDC early; it is a new primary and I'm assured I have a good prognosis, but sometimes that's difficult to really believe and take in.  I wonder if age doesn't matter and we all grieve the loss of innocence?

I'm old enough to qualify for SSI and am looking at Medicare choices next. Hah.  Age is still just a piece of paper.Surprised.  I'm fortunate to have a good medical team who listens to me, and whom I trust.

I'm not happy to be here, but I certainly appreciate each of you, and wish us all success!

Kathryn

• tryn2staycalm
    tryn2staycalm Member Posts: 470
    Options

Hi Ladies:

I just got the dx today that not only did they find DCIS as my core biopsy showed but the path report from my Lumpectomy shows a much larger areas 5 cm of IDC grade 3.  I guess from here I will need more surgery (nodes).  Meet with my BS Aug. 10 and take it from there.  Hope to get to know a few of you and be able to share and learn here.  I have been in forum just dx and have found the ladies informative and supportive. 

thanks, Cathy

• rachel5738
    rachel5738 Member Posts: 658
    Options

Hi all---Final pathology back today--IDC, Grade 1, Stage 2 (1 out of 7 nodes tested positive), ER+, PR+, HER2 neg. I am a little p**** at my BS as when I signed for my surgery he said he would be doing a sentinel node and axillary dissection--well it seems he only did sentinel node and as one is positive--they have to go back in again. Aarrgghh. I meet with him next week--when he is back from his lovely vacation..... Frown

The news could definitely be better--but for sure could be way worse. I'll take what I can get at this point.

• shells43
    shells43 Member Posts: 499
    Options

Hi Tekyla,

I PM'd you last night regarding my FEC-T

Having a low day today, will probably turn in early.

Shelley

• DesignerMom
    DesignerMom Member Posts: 730
    Options

Hi ladies, I just found this thread.  I was diagnosed in April, had LUMP, SNB, AND and started CMF chemo in June.  I just finished my third of six chemos.  Then its on to RADS and Tamox, though I am still researching Tamox.  It's been like riding a wild horse!

I sure hope all of you who are starting chemo have found your "starting Chemo in ______" threads.  I have become such good friends with my ladies on the June chemo thread. they have taught me so much and are such great support (not to mention FUNNY).  This experience would be a real misery without them.

worldwatcher- Of course any decision to proceed with treatment is up to you.  I must say that reducing your SS check by $200/week in order to do radiation sounds bizaar.  Please get a second opinion on that.  I have found a LOT of government employees give wrong information.

MrsNice- Your diagnosis sounds almost identical to mine.  SNB was negative and then pathology came back micromet in one node.  Back I went for AND and the other 9 nodes were clear.  When I asked if they did the detailed staining on the extra nodes to make sure, my surgeon said "no, they only do that on the sentinel node". I then asked how they could be sure they were clear. She admitted that they could not.  It is one of the reasons I decided to do chemo.  I hope this doesn't alarm you.  As you are in the midst of these difficult decisions, I think it is worth discussing with your doctors.  Feel free to PM me.

• changes
    changes Member Posts: 42
    Options

Hi all,

Just wanted to join in on this thread. I was diagnosed in May of this year. My radiologist made the diagnosis, even before the biopsy results were back, because it was so clear from the ultrasound. I've had the lumpectomy which went well, and now I'm part of the way through radiation. I've already started Tamoxifen.

I'm very glad to have all the supportive people on this site to get through this. Things are much better now than they were in May, but you never know what might happen next with this disease.

Karen

• KAZmTAZ
    KAZmTAZ Member Posts: 33
    Options

Hi Ladies, The long awaited onco apt was yesterday. My immediate option would be mastectomy chemo, rads, and hormone blockers. The shape of my tumor is the issue it spreads out with fingerlike shapes from a 3cm nodule.so the estimated size is about 5cm.. , although I could end up with the mastectomy in the end I am going to do chemo, and a clinical trial of Avastin, then the hormone blockers, if my echocardiagram is clear...there didn't seem to be any indication of other node involvement and and all other tests are clear also. Echo is set for 8/4, and then I will get  my port and begin.I will meet with my chemo nurse within a couple of days. I will need to step up excersise regimen, get my heart rate up and strong, I am in good condition in all other ways so I should be able to handle this. The potential risks are a bit scary but if I don't try it this way I will always wonder if it could have worked. Has anyone been treated with Avastin or been offered it? The info on it mentions neg  ER PR HER2 and we know it is possible that it won't work on positives...I still feel it worth the risk, any thoughts/  Kaz

• DesignerMom
    Options

KazmTaz- I just saw your post thatyou will be starting a trial which includes Avastin.  Are you aware (or should I say is your Onc aware!) that it has just been determined to not be effective on breast cancer?  It is big news and a lot of ladies who are on it are making hard decisions.  If your Onc doesn't know about this drug being pulled, that would concern me.  Do they not read the news?  I hope this doesn't alarm you, but as you are still in the decision-making mode, I thought you should know.  Here is a link to the NY Times article.  Best of luck.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/26/opinion/26mon1.html?src=un&feedurl=http%3A%2F%2Fjson8.nytimes.com%2Fpages%2Fopinion%2Findex.jsonp

• KAZmTAZ
    Options

Hi Designer Mom,  I have just read the article and am confused myself now.  I have an apt with the chemo nurse tomorrow am. I will have more info and let you know which way I do go...I did see that it has not been effective in advanced BC, I as yet have had no treatment, so we will see.

Kaz

• JenC
    JenC Member Posts: 186
    Options

Count me in..  I was diagnosed in February, had a lumpectomy in early March with unclear margins and 1 out of 15 nodes positive.  Went back under the knife in early April for a mastectomy and started AC on April 28th.  Have had some setbacks with the implant from the reconstruction and stitch abseses so chemo was put off for a bit but I start Taxol x 12 tomorrow.  Hope you are all feeling well.  Hang in there we are all strong women.

• Jaim1123
    Jaim1123 Member Posts: 8
    Options

Hi Mom (KAZmTAZ) and Designer Mom,

The oncologist explained that Avastin is not effective on breast cancer that has MET, advanced BC and/or on patients that did not take avastin prior to starting chemo treatment.  It is my understanding that they are trying to determine if taking avastin while starting chemo is effective on shrinking tumors.  I'll read the article too but that is what I remembered from our meeting yesterday.  I would still ABSOLUTELY ask the chemo nurse and the oncologist before making the decision.   

• Jaim1123
    Jaim1123 Member Posts: 8
    Options

Hi JenC,

I see you are in Pembroke NH!  I'm in Londonderry!  Where are you being treated?  Sending you some positive energy and hugs :)

• JenC
    Options

Hi Jamie - I am being treated in Concord at the Payson Center by Dr. Brucetti. 

Joycek - it does seem like I see more and more NH people on here. But we are all one big family no matter where we are fromSmile

• KAZmTAZ
    Options

I will take notes so that I remember all that we talk about.  I know that I want to think this will help, but I will make an informed choice don't worry.

Kaz 

• Unknown
    Options

Happy Hump Day!

Despite having a crappy cough/cold, I did have my ALND surgery last Thursday.  My lungs were clear and no fever, so the docs agreed it would be safe to proceed.  One drain was placed and worked fine throughout my overnite stay, but then failed within an hour of getting home on Friday and I had serous fluid running down my side.  ICK!  So back to the doc's office I went, but the nurse was not able to get the drain to work again.  Seems it got clogged with a small piece of tissue or something.  So I spent the weekend changing gauze dressing and retaping every several hours.  FUN!  On Monday morning I went back to the doc's office to have the doc look at it, and (I hoped) she would take it out since it wasn't working.  She said it has to stay in because it's working as a "conduit" and fluid IS draining.  My skin is so damaged from too much tape, so her nurse suggested using maxipads to absorb the drainage.  Who knew?  So back home we go.  And then the darn drain starts working again.  WHATEVER!!!  Good news is, my surgeon's nurse called yesterday and say all 16 nodes removed were clear.  However, seeing DesignerMom's info about her experience, I'll have to ask the onco next week - I have my first consult on the 4th.  I will definitely be asking him about the Oncotype Dx test.

I've been holding off doing anything to my hair for awhile, figuring if chemo is going to make it fall out I don't want to spend money/time on color and cuts.  But last night I decided I could not stand looking at my dark/gray roots any more, so I did a root touch-up, showered, put on fresh jammies, and settled in for some TV with hubby.  Felt pretty good (chardonnay probably helped a bit!).Wink   Suddenly, the front of my shirt felt wet, and then my pant leg.  I'm like, WTH?  I did not just spill my wine!  No - my breast incision (which was excised and restitched during last week's ALND) was leaking now - alot!  So now the maxipad is in my bra and the draining continues.

I keep thinking I'm going to be ready to go back to work soon.  Well, I've just decided that's not going to happen until I can have several consecutive "normal" days with no drains, no maxipads in my bra, no more stitches, etc.  This is testing my patience!  And I woke up this morning with pain bad enough to make me take one Percocet, which I hadn't taken since Sunday cuz I don't like the hangover.

This is a long road.  I don't like long roads, but I'm learning to endure.  Being on the boards here sure helps.  Anyone else have any drain stories that might help me?

• omaz
    omaz Member Posts: 4,218
    Options

Dear Mrs Nice,

I am sorry you are having a hard time!!  Hang in there!!

• lisasinglem
    lisasinglem Member Posts: 239
    Options

Mrs Nice - I'm so sorry you have to deal with all of this crap!  Glad you still have a sense of humor.  Keep on keepin' on.  I'll be thinking of you!

• KAZmTAZ
    Options

Hi Omaz,

I am doing my chemo before surgery, I will have my first apt with the chemo nurse tomorrow AM.  I am trying to avoid mastectomy. The shape of my tumor would not be appropriate for lumpectomy  its 3cm with  spread that goes out to 5cm.So I am going for it to try to make it smaller. Its necessary "for me" to try to keep my breast. The grief of maybe losing it  is sometimes overwhelming me. How are you doing?

• stlcardsfan
    stlcardsfan Member Posts: 227
    Options

KAZmTAZ - what type of chemo are you doing? I went back thru your posts and didn't see it mentioned.

I also did chemo first, TCH X6, started with a 4.2 cm mass. At surgery, there was no cancer left. None. TCH melted the whole thing away.

lisasinglem - I saw on another post you mentioned skipping the icing for the first treatment of taxotere. Just be careful with your fingernails and toenails. Keep them very short. Again, icing saved mine, as the last thing I wanted to deal with was peeling nails or nails lifting from the nailbend along with the chemo se's. I put towels on my feet first and then the ice packs so it didn't get freezing cold. Just a thought. 

• TMarina
    TMarina Member Posts: 297
    Options

Mrs. Nice--> wow, you have been through a lot!  Hang in there girl!

kazmtaz-->I understand about the grief of losing your breast.  I had a lumpectomy, SNB, and AND, and after all that I didn't have clean margins.  I angonized over the decision, and finally ended up with a mx.  My brother asked me "why wouldn't you do everything possible to stay alive?" and that got me thinking--esp. with 3 daughters, and a grandbaby.  Still, the decision wasn't easy.  I called the nurse a few days after about my path report, and she had trouble reading it and said that maybe there wasn't anymore cancer there.  I got off the phone and went to my room and balled my head off and said "I want it back!" over and over.  When I met with the surgeon the following week, he said there was DCIS all through my breast, so I made the right decision.  I felt so much better!

Anyway!  All this to say that I understand how difficult the decision is!  And now, being a size D/DD, I really wish I would have had a bilateral, and will probably do that when I'm done with tx.  I knew I'd probably feel that way eventually, but there was no way I was going to make that decision at the time!

I hope the chemo works for you like it has for others!  Good luck!

Tina

• JenC
    Options

Mrs. Nice - Sorry to hear about the drainage issues.  Hope they resolve soon.  A friend of mine had a lumpectomy and her insicion started to leak a little then when she lifted her breast to look (the insicion was underneath) it started gushing.  She called the doc and they told her to just let it leak to get the fluid out.  Just thought I would share that you are not along.  Good luck.

Jen

• tryn2staycalm
    Options

Man what we go thru for a couple of (@)(@) huh? Hey sometimes ya just gotta make light of it.   I am rather attached to mine too.  But if its my life of them.... hey it was nice knowing you girls!  Its not ruled out on my last BS report.  One day at a time.  Wow how my life has changed in a blink!

Cathy

• rachel5738
    rachel5738 Member Posts: 658
    Options

Mrs Nice---You are not alone. I just came back from a nice trip to emergency. I woke up this morning feeling wet underneath me--and then---look at the sheets--obviously the fluid has leaked and made a mess. So I think--I will just gauze this up and be on my way for a nice day out with friends---worked until around 3:30 when I look down and have memories of breastfeeding days--and can tell that it is time to re-gauze. When I check it--looks like incision is opening (can see inside -- oh so nice) and don't know what to do so head to emergency (nice short visit--thankfully--you take your chances on how long you wait in Canada) and Doctor won't even consider stitching--so they put new steristrips on--wrap me up like a mummy and send me on my way (nurse even gave me new steristrips, gauze, tape and everything needed). Now my breast feels pretty painful--will take a tylenol before bed and hope this is all better tomorrow and the day starts better!

Cancer sucks!

Rachel

• Unknown
    Options

Thanks ladies for your caring support.  I ended up calling my doc's office this evening because the drain stopped working again and my bra was wet.  The wet area on my bra had a tiny spot that looked a little goopy with pus so I was concerned about infection at the drain site.  Doc on Call assured me all this fluid drainage is normal; just keep an eye on it and put those maxipads to work!  I don't have a fever or any other evidence of infection.  It's just a messy hassle.  The healing process is an up-down-up mix of days, so we just keep going one day at a time.

Cancer definitely sucks!

• KAZmTAZ
    Options

TMARINA,  Thanks for the kind words. Intellectually I know life is more important than having a matched set!, but I am still in the shock stage I guess.  I too have many reasons to be here with or without the matched set.  Love to you.

Kaz

• barbaraa
    Options

Mrs Nice and Rachel, I'm sorry you are having such issues with your drains. I hated mine, too but mine behaved. Kaz, many ladies have chemo first and the tumor just melts away. You never know. Take it a day at a time.

Anyone have a good diarrhea remedy? I have had it since diagnosis and even had every stool test known to man with everything normal. This is driving me nuts!

• tryn2staycalm
    Options

Rachel-  Sorry your having such a hard time and I know how bad waiting times are at the hospitals here in Canada.  Hope you and MrsNice heal quickly and stop the messy leaking soon.  I'm not looking forward to that surgery.  I'm battling with that depressed feeling.  Its most likely very common after a dx your not expecting.  I'm going to work today and that will keep me busy and I will have a busy Civic Holiday long w/e.  I must agree.  Cancer sucks.

Cathy

• barbaraa
    Options

Cathy, ask your doctor for an anti-depressant Rx. A Xanax or Ativan would really help you about now. I asked and am so glad I did.

• DesignerMom
    Options

Sorry to all you ladies with your drain problems.  My surgeon doesn't use drains anymore.  I had very little swelling, fluid or anything.  I did have the AND drained twice, but that was a breeze, didn't feel a thing.  Speedy healing.

BarbaraA- I was trying to find help with the chemo constipation and found a post by a chemo lady who swore by Acacia tree powder.  Apparently it is used very successfully for irritable bowel syndrome where they have both diarrhea and constipation.  I haven't tried it, but it would be worth a google.  Of course check with your Onc too.  Good luck.  Wish I could trade you a little of my constipation!