Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

2010 Sisters

Options

Comments

• rachel5738
    rachel5738 Member Posts: 658
    Options

Hi Designer Mom--Thanks for the information on the nodes. I have done a bunch of research and do not want any additional surgery and will discuss with Radiation Doc and Surgeon this week. I want to get this whole thing moving and the thought of new surgery and recovery--probably another month or so before chemo starts...aarrggh. Once I knew the treatment plan, just want it to start. If no surgery--I will start chemo in about 2 weeks. I'll keep you all posted on results of doc appointments. I haven't seen so many doctors in my whole life -- that I have in about 2 months :)

• tryn2staycalm
    tryn2staycalm Member Posts: 470
    Options

Anne068 - Just wanted to say welcome.  I hope you find this site as valueable as I have.  Just knowing your not going this alone helps and I have learned so much here it helps me cope with what is going on.  I go back to see my surgeon re: more node surgery same day as your BMX, I will think of you and hope you are doing well. 

Cathy

• Anne068
    Anne068 Member Posts: 93
    Options

Thanks for the welcome Tryin!  I am still reading more than posting. There is so much to learn!

So we're having surgery the same day! I will be sending positive thoughts your way!!

Anne

• FireKracker
    FireKracker Member Posts: 5,858
    Options

hi sistas

been running way from the dark hole thats so easy to crawl into.

everytime i come on this thread i see new girls on here and it turns my stomach.

sending a big hugggggggggggg.Please God i pray for a cure for cancer.

I love my sistas

K

• shells43
    shells43 Member Posts: 499
    Options

Teklya,

Good luck today with your first chemo. Will be thinking of you.

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548
    Options

Teklya-let us know how you are!!

GD - I am praying for you.

• Teklya
    Teklya Member Posts: 362
    Options

Hi there; well I am doing well.  The nurses were amazing and they sat with me the entire time and explained everything.  I cried, (sucky pants) when it first began.  My new port worked really well.  It was worth the discomfort for sure.  Right now feeling a little queasy but I have a couple of meds I can take so, hopefully they will be helpful, also a wee dizzy so laying low and sipping on water. 

thanks so much for your concern and thoughfulness.

take good care and just breathe. . .

Teklya

• lisasinglem
    lisasinglem Member Posts: 239
    Options

It's alright to cry.

Crying gets the sad out of you.

It's alright to cry.

It just might make you feel better.

(Sorry Teklya, it took me back to days of "Free to Be You and Me.")

Glad you're home and comfortable right now.  Be good to yourself!

• tsmc4
    tsmc4 Member Posts: 3
    Options

Well, I have been hanging with the DCIS ladies and was just told today that I have IDC....not real thrilled about that either, I am pretty terrified.  Not really sure what's going down from here, but I have a MRI on Monday and an appt with the radiologist and a plastic surgeon on Wed and then back to the oncology surgion on Fri.I am not a candidiate for the tamo....whatever or the hepa...whatever, so possibly chemo, not sure yet.  I could use some good news at this point. 

• barbaraa
    Options

tsmc4, I had IDC with DCIS. I did an MRI before my surgery. Please send me a private message and I can explain what happened with me.

• Lady_Madonna
    Lady_Madonna Member Posts: 313
    Options

Hi tsmc4, I also had IDC with DCIS, unfortunately it's not all that uncommon.  Sorry you're having to deal with this.  Take heart, you're in the right place for plenty of advice and encouragement.  You also may still have some different options.  Hang in there!

• tryn2staycalm
    Options

Hi Sistas:

tsmc4 -welcome-  I also was dx with DCIS and then after my Lumpectomy July 16, 2010 pathology came back much larger from 1.4 cm to 5 cm IDC grade 3.  No it is not good news but I remind myself it could be much worse.  Now I need more node surgery as they did not do it as they thought I was DCIS.  I had my first Radiation oncologist appointment and got registered at the cancer center yesterday.  5 weeks of Radiation after chemo and chemo can't start till I'm healed from the upcoming surgery.  Staging depends on what the surgery finds.  As it stands now I'm stage 2 possible 3 if nodes are involved.  If your IDC is over 2cm I'm told it will be pretty much standard to do chemo.  If yours is smaller without node involvement then you may just have Rads.  I notice that there seems to be a different plan of treatment for everyone.  As for good news -  Breast Cancer is usually if found early very treatable.  5 year survival rate is 95% (in the material I was given to read yesterday) vs a lot of other cancers where it can be a terminal cancer.  Since I'm going thru it right now also I can tell you that somehow you do find the strength and you will get thru with and learn to deal with what you must.  I have found it very valuable to learn and share and post here.  I hope you do too.  Good Luck.

Cathy

• barbaraa
    Options

Cathy, when is your surgery? Keep us posted!

• tsmc4
    tsmc4 Member Posts: 3
    Options

So, what I need to know is what is the 10 and 20 year survival rate....my youngest just turned 4 this weekend and 5 years really isnt good enough for me!!  I go for the MRI on Monday, what are the chances that it will show more??  I am very small in the chest, I am hoping this means that they would have no problem feeling if anything else is there.  Also, I am trying to make up my mind by Friday if I want lumpectomy or masectomy......to be honest, I'm pretty pisted in the fact that I really dont want either one!!  From what I am being told and reading the lumpectomy puts you out from picking up kids for 2 wks, then I have to deal with radiation for ....well who knows how long.  The mastectomy I wont be able to pick up kids for one month, but will it be better for my family to get the whole process over with a little faster by doing the mastectomy....the chemo part I guess will be the same.  And that even takes me to another issue....what do I do about the other boob!!  Do I leave it alone or remove it too!!  Also, I am being told that the recurrence rate is the same on both...???  Also, can I possibly make a educated decision in a week!

• Teklya
    Options

Good morning.  Well I have been hanging in; I have meds for nausea and am taking them.  Yesterday I got the chills real bad and felt waves of goosebumps from my ears to my toes!  Our temp here is high 20's and there I am in a hoodie and covered in a warm afghan!  Not much appetite and trying to keep up the fluid intake as best I can.  So far, manageable. 

Teklya

• DawnKY
    DawnKY Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hi everyone.  I am also an unexpected member of this club.  I'm both horrified at how many of us have recently been dx, and also find it strangely comforting to know there are others who know exactly what I am feeling/going through, and who can hopefully help me through this.  I posted my basic info on the IDC forum (subject "Also just diagnosed.  Overwhelmed and scared").  I admit that I've been knocked for a loop after reading numerous posts on various forums here.  I was told that the ST bx results indicated the tumor was <1 cm, but I do question how reliable that is.  I was under the apparently mistaken assumption that that size would mean I would just have to have a lumpectomy, but I've since discovered in reading others' info and posts here that this is not a given.  I thought that that size was the first bit of good news in all this thus far, and finding it to probably otherwise has taken me back a few steps.  Am going for an MRI this coming Wed and am seeing a surgical oncologist that afternoon, so I expect to have more info after that. 

One question that occurred to me last night (strange how things hit you at the oddest of times, isn't it)---I have a Mirena IUD that was inserted almost 3 years ago.  I am guessing that I will have to have it removed, right?  I'll ask the doctor of course, but I wonder if I need to call my gyno now and make an appt ASAP, since she's generally booked up weeks in advance, and the BS office told me that he would likely schedule me for surgery 1-2 weeks after my initial appt this Wednesday.  

• rachel5738
    rachel5738 Member Posts: 658
    Options

Hi Teklya--Hang in there--sounds like you are doing pretty good. I am due to start chemo probably this week now (no more surgery) and I am nervous but anxious to get started..

Hi Tsmc4---I was diagnosed with IDC, Grade 1, Stage 2 (as one lymph node positive). I had lumpectomy and was out of commission (have two kids) for about 1 week or so. You have to be careful with how much you move that side as I think that I did too much and had to go back to emerg for them to put more steristrips on it. I asked my doctor about mastectomy and the amount of mastectomies that they are doing in Canada is coming down as they want to try and conserve your breast--if possible. Talk it over with your doctor and make sure you are comfortable with your decision. I have learned that you need to ask lots of questions (lots that were ideas from others on this site) and understand, be your own advocate. It is all a big muddle right now for you--but you will get through it. I am only about a month ahead of you in diagnosis etc and it does get a little easier! 

• DesignerMom
    DesignerMom Member Posts: 730
    Options
    tsmc4-So many decisions, I know it feels overwhelming.  In my case, the doctors said that there was no need to rush decisions.  I had yearly mammograms, nothing ever showed.  I felt the lump while bathing.  When I asked my surgeon why it did not show on mammos, she said something like 30% do not.  No one ever told me that!  She said my tumor could have been growing for 5 to 10 years.  So I don't think you need to rush to a decision.  A few weeks will probably not make a difference. You have to be comfortable with these decisions.  By now you probably have some of your pathology info.  Did they do the Oncotype DX genetic test on your cancer?  It tests 21 genes and predicts your, specific recurrence rate.  If they did not do it, they still can send it in as I think they must keep some of your biopsy tissue stored.  Also, I found the "cancer math" site very helpful.  Just google "cancer math" and you will find it.  On that site you can plug in all your specifics, tamo, no tamo, chemo (specific ones) or not.  With each scenario it will project the statistical outcome.  I, also have a youngish child (11 YO).  The odds are ENORMOUSLY in our favor to live a long, healthy life.  Please focus on all the positive.  I wish you strength and courage through these hard decisions.  Let us know if we can help.
  • tryn2staycalm
    Options

Hi Ladies:

tsmc4 -Yes I agree your odds are enormously in your favor and I know a lady who is now 80 and had BC when she was about 40 and she has had no re-occurrence.  You have to get all your info on pathology and tests and then your doctors will go over it all with you.  You do NOT have to make a choice you are not ready to make.  I'm still getting all my tests - I have had some nausea so I have to go for a abdominal and a pelvic ultrasound and a heart function test this week. I don't have a date for my next surgery yet - maybe Tuesday when I see my BS.   We have to learn to be patient when all we want to do is get treated and get well.  Hang in there. 

Cathy

• Lady_Madonna
    Options

tscm4, yes, the recurrance rates are virtually identical with lumpectomy and radiation vs. mastectomy and doctors are doing as much breast conservation as possible.  Do NOT make any rash decisions... take your time!  It doesn't seem like there's any reason at this point to have a bilateral mastectomy, unless you know from family history or BRCA that you have a very high likelihood of cancer in the other breast.  

Once you start down a certain path you may not be able to go back so please do your research, get second opinions, and remember that even though a few weeks or a month seems like a long time right now it'll go by in a flash!  You'll be very busy, believe me! 

Radiation is not too bad, I'm in it right now, and it's even easier for smaller chested ladies- fewer side effect problems. 

As you already stated, your ultimate goal is to live a long, healthy life to be there for your kids so keep your eyes on the ultimate prize and work from there.  

• Beanius
    Beanius Member Posts: 1,494
    Options

A lumpectomy was possible for my situation. I know that is not always the case. For myself, I chose lump + rads after my radiation oncologist showed me the recurrance rates for lump + rads as compared to mast, and they were so similar. He also showed me that a salvage mast later, if I developed a new primary at some point, was the same as going straight for a mast this time. He said I could always have a mast later if a new primary formed.

My treatment plan is lumpectomy, chemo (which I'm currently on CMF), then rads, then tamoxifen.

I think it's important to not rush and to get at least one more opinion on anything you are not completely comfortable with. Getting this diagnosis is such a shock that it's hard to think straight and not panic. I got three medical oncology opinions before I felt right about my chemo plan. Even though chemo isn't my favorite thing, I have a very positive attitude about it and know I made the right choice for me. I have a very high level of confidence and comfort with my medical oncologist and I know this relationship helps with healing. It takes time to get in to see all the doctors, but it is well worth it as your treatment plan is such an enormously important decision.

I have seen some doctors who were rushed and would barely take the time to explain anything, and others who were extremely patient and drew pictures and made sure all my questions were answered. I have chosen to work with the doctors who take time with me and help me understand what is happening and who give me treatment options, fully explaining the pluses and minuses of each option, so I can decide what is right for me.

This is a scary diagnosis and I thought I was going to freak out in the beginning. Waiting for test results and to get a full diagnosis was the worst nightmare. Now that I know what I'm dealing with and I'm on a treatment plan the anxiety is less and I'm having more fun again.

I wish health, happiness and long, beautiful lives to all you 2010 Sisters! ~Beans

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    Options

Just found this thread. <<< waves hello to the 2010 gang>>> Sorry we had to meet like this.
    BMX August 31st with expanders. I should be home and feeling better to watch Mad Men that Sunday night… Awesome Wink

-------------------------------------------------

NOTE: my stats are below for the left breast. The right showed 4 suspicious areas on the MRI. 2 might be pre-cancerous.  Since my breasts are very dense I will have to have biopsies in the future to watch these. Both my surgeon and I agree that we should just remove it. He's only doing a sentinel node on the right. Level I nodes on the left even though so far the nodes look clear.

and no lumpectomy for me. 6cm x 4cm in a small breast doesn't work. I'm OK with that. I want to/plan to go through this only once.

• susgul
    susgul Member Posts: 104
    Options

Teklya:  hang in there.  You will start to feel a bit better every day.  It's 65 here, but my head is freezing.  I have a sleep cap on.  DH chuckles because he is a baldy and nothing bothers his head.  Of course, he has more experience than I.  Take care and be kind to yourself.

• Teklya
    Options

Thank you.  I am doing my best.  Had a better sleep last night, and not so shaky and cold as before.  Went for a nice walk this morning and feel a bit more like myself.  Still rather dizzy though and just feeling really "off".  

Teklya

• FireKracker
    Options

hi everyone

does anyone know about the free transportation the cancer assoc.provides.

im running into a problem as i dont have a car and dr#3 is far away.

im soo tired of asking people to take time off work and change their busy schedule.

I live in old bridge NJ

thanks sistas

K

• Lady_Madonna
    Options

Hi Granny,

Have you posted in "Support and Community Connections?"  I would try this section.  Wish I could help, hopefully someone in your area can work things out with you.

Best, M

• Lady_Madonna
    Options

Granny,

Also try under "Day to Day Matters" the "Recommend Your Resources" section

• FireKracker
    Options

LADY MADONA...THANK YOU..IM GONNA DO THAT RIGHT NOW

• tryn2staycalm
    Options

granny - here in Canada you contact the local Cancer Society but I would think there should be something the same there.  Can you ask about assistance at the cancer centre where your onco is?

Cathy

• TMarina
    TMarina Member Posts: 297
    Options

Hi granny

You can call your local American cancer society and I think they can help you.  You can find their number online at cancer.org

Good luck!