Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Arimidex - Coping with the SE's

Options

Comments

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,808
    Options

Bcbarbie10--I found the hot flashes from arimidex/lupron leveled out.For the last couple of years I even know about when the hot flashes would occur. I had to increase my antidepressant dosage considerably during treatment, and could not lower it again due to worsening depression symptoms and increased hot flashes, especially at night. Don't stop the lexapro all at once, work with your docs to gradually decrease the dose over time. And don't be surprised if your docs recommend waiting until after the anastrozole is done before trying to come off the antidepressant.

NancyD--are you still on arimidex? I found that about 6 months after I came off it I started getting a lot less stiffness and joint pain and could walk and move much more easily again. In the meantime, keep walking as much as you can. I got up to 3 miles a day while on arimidex, then lost that after recon surgery and am still working on getting it back, which has more to do with discipline, time, health and weather than medications and arthritis at this point.

• peregrinelady
    peregrinelady Member Posts: 416
    Options
    NativeMainer, it is good to hear that the se’s may go away after being on the pills for 10 years. I am also curious if Nancy is continuing past 10 years. My BCI results indicated that I had high risk of recurrence, but also high benefit from staying on the drugs for 10 years. Just wondering if more than 10 might be beneficial. Btw, I went to college in Orono in the ‘80’s. I am hoping to visit Maine this summer with DH for our 25th wedding anniversary.
  • nancyd
    nancyd Member Posts: 556
    Options

NativeMainer, yes I'm still on anastrazole. I posted a query a few months ago asking if anyone had come off it after long-term use and what side effects had abated. I will hit ten years on this AI in August/September, and wanted to talk to my onc about a break, or even stopping it altogether, but if there would be little or no relief from the side effects, I don't want to chance it.

I plan to get walking again as soon as the weather turns nice. Right now, just going around a hilly block has me deep breathing and my hips aching. But it sounds like there is light at the end of the tunnel.

• bcbarbie10
    bcbarbie10 Member Posts: 148
    Options

Thank you, NativeMainer, I’m looking forward to those days when se’s would level out. I am ok with taking lexapro for the duration of the eight more years of anastrozole ahead, just hoping i am able to stay on my present dose of 10mg per day. It used to be 20mg for the past 5 years, we just tapered more than a month now and it seems to work.

Thanks again for all your inputs.

• nativemainer
    Options

barbe--if you and your doc are tapering you off the lexapro, you may be able to come off it while on anastozole. You and your doc the experts on your body and it's reactions to medication changes.

• doofuscat
    doofuscat Member Posts: 10
    Options

Hello all. I just found this posting. I apologize if I am repeating questions already asked but i can’t read through the 200 plus pages!

Has anyone who is estrogen and progesterone positive and post menopausal, been told not to take meds due to the potential side effects? I am finishing rads this week and haven’t started oral meds yet. I have a oncotype score of 5 and already have a lot of joint pain and arthritis in my knees, hands and neck. I also have osteoporosis in my spine. So I am very nervous about the meds.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

• peregrinelady
    peregrinelady Member Posts: 416
    Options

It is worth a try to see how they affect you. Just remember that your very low Oncotype (yay!) includes taking either Tamoxifen or an AI. If you do have side effects (and considering your arthritis and osteoporosis) you could always switch to Tamoxifen. Plenty of post menopausal women have taken it.

• iamnancy
    iamnancy Member Posts: 641
    Options

Not everyone gets side effects - try it and see how it goes

• nativemainer
    Options

Doofuscat--we're used to similar questions coming around periodically. Women are being diagnosed and coming into the threads all the time. Those of us further down the road remember what that part of the journey is like, and are always available to answer questions. I know of a couple of women being advised not to take the hormonal therapy, but both were in their 90s and both had serious osteoporosis and other serious health issues. Both died of other causes--one a couple years later of heart disease, one a few months later from COPD. I can understand your concern about taking anti-estrogen treatment with pre-existing arthritis and osteoporosis. I had pre-existing arthritis in my knees when I started that road.I had no side effects on Tamoxifen, did get more knee stiffness and new hip stiffness and carpal tunnel symptoms in my hands. I managed the carpal tunnel by wearing a brace at night, and the knee and hip stiffness and soreness by trying not to sit in one place very long at a time. If you have a lot of trouble with one med, you can try another, many women get relief from joint pain and stiffness by changing drugs. Some women take breaks from time to time during treatment. There are medications and physical therapy that can help through treatment, too. It's worth trying, in my opinion.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 46,951
    Options

If you already have osteoporosis, you might want to try Tamoxifen instead of an AI.

• wallan
    wallan Member Posts: 192
    Options

Hey ladies:

I have been on arimidex since May 2017. So about 10 months I guess. I have a symptom and wonder if any hear have had it. By the way I had a hysterectomy/oophorectomy in 2007 so I am postmenopausal. I am 55.

My vagina has been dry as are my eyes. This morning, I actually had a bit of vaginal bleeding. I figure its because of dryness and irritation. But last week I just happened to have my 3 month check up and the nurse practitioner asked me if I had vaginal bleeding, which i had not up until that day.

So should I be concerned?

wallan

• doofuscat
    doofuscat Member Posts: 10
    Options

Thank you for the responses everyone.

• nativemainer
    Options

Wallan--while on arimidex I had really serious vaginal dryness, and occasional small amounts of bleeding, most notably after my yearly gyno checks. What you experienced is mostly likely due to the exam itself. if it happens again you can call your PCP and talk about it, but it seems pretty common. It stopped happening to me when I stopped taking arimidex and the dryness got better. It didn't go away, but it did get better.

• Houston2016
    Houston2016 Member Posts: 248
    Options

Hello Everyone,

I've been on Anastrozol since November 2017 and the main problem I have is stiffness on the fingers, toes, and sore hip, some knees. But few weeks ago I noticed my right eye gets teary a mild burn feeling. I never had this before. Any one has suggestions or comments? Thanks.

• butterfly1234
    butterfly1234 Member Posts: 2,038
    Options

I sometimes have dry eyes and my optometrist recommends retaine. All natural and can use several times daily. Pricey but worth it. I started taking Claritin with my Arimidex and it's helpingwith joint issues. A lot of women have suggested trying the Claritin. We don't know why it seems to work

• krose53
    krose53 Member Posts: 74
    Options

Hi Everyone, I just found this site. I had my last chemo on Monday and radiation was not recommended for me. I’m waiting to start an armomatase inhibitor after I speak with my OC.

JO-5, I thought this might be interesting. I have an autoimmune disease called Addison’s disease. My adrenal glands don’t function, so I am on daily hydrocortisone for life. After reading your post, I am wondering how I’m going to feel since my adrenal glands don’t produce any estrogen. I was on HRT previously and I have read that our fat and brain can produce estrogen as well. I’m going to ask my OC

I appreciate this supportive site and know I’m going to be looking here often. Good luck ev

• nativemainer
    Options

Krose53--there are 2 ways the body makes estrogen. The first, and strongest source is the ovaries. The second, weaker source is from the aromatase enzyme converting cholesterol to estrogen in fat cells. The aromatase inhibitor drugs block the aromatase enzyme so very little cholesterol to estrogen conversion happens. We get menopausal symptoms when the ovaries stop making estrogen because the aromatase enzyme system cannot make any where near as much estrogen as the ovaries could, so our bodies have to adjust to a much lower level of estrogen in our systems.

• nyr4evr
    nyr4evr Member Posts: 5
    Options

I was very successful at weight watcher when nothing else worked. It is a plan on portion control. I too thought I was eating healthy. But the portions OMG. I was not on arimidex then. Give it a try. Ask when free registration is

• Crita18
    Crita18 Member Posts: 3
    Options

Hi all, I'm new to this and I'm here because I need to make the decision soon about whether to take an AI and my med onc is suggesting arimidex. Also considering Tamoxifen.I had early stage BC 7mm (15% was DCIS), non aggressive Ki 67 <5 had surgery and brachytherapy radiation. I am now on a clean mainly plant based diet and have lost weight over the past year, I exercise regularly and worry that the side effects outweigh taking the pills to change recurrence rate from 10% to 5%. Not even really sure how they get those numbers. What have your experiences been. Would love to hear.

• Crita18
    Options

Hi there Doofuscat - Curious to find out what your decision was about taking the anti-estrogen pills. Your situation looks a bit like mine and I've been investigating going a more natural route because I already have osteopenia and some heart stuff. I'm told we'll give you drugs for your bones!

• dtad
    dtad Member Posts: 771
    Options

Crita18...its never an easy decision and one that should be made after lots of research. There is an alternative medicine thread if you want to visit it. I refused anti hormone therapy from the start and decided to try to lower my estrogen naturally. May I ask you to make your stats public so we can better answer your questions. We will support and respect whatever you decide. Good luck and keep us posted.

• Crita18
    Options

Hi dtad, I added my information so hopefully it will show up with this post. I guess eventually I will make a decision. I did let the oncologist put in a prescription for the arimidex but now I'm seriously haven't second thoughts because supposedly now I'm told I have a .5% chance per year of recurrence and a .25% chance with the pills.

• Santolina
    Santolina Member Posts: 3
    Options

Hello. I'm sorry, I don't understand your comment. Are you taking arimidex now? and what information were you given about the five year time line? Why wouldn't you take them?

• Santolina
    Santolina Member Posts: 3
    Options

Hello - where precisely are you - in the US? I'm in France and am on arimedex. I've been advised to cut out all sugar, gluten, drink two to three litres of water a day and take high dose ascorbic acid - up to 20,000 per day but I only manage 10,000. I mostly eat organic but it's easy to access here in France. The problem is, the side effects: pain [if I can get medicinal cannabis, this helps]; nausea and tiredness. I try to walk 2-3 miles a day with my little dog. So for me, the question is, if I stop taking the tablets and take my chances, what are the odds?

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    Options

Santolina, how long have you been on arimidex? Some report serious side effects that may go away over time or became something they could live with. Guess it depends on your individual tolerance. No one can tell you what to choose but one friend once wrote (often wrote) that the SE's are easier to manage than recurrence that many times comes back much worse than the original. My prayers are up for you to make the best decision for yourself. Hugs.

• humblepeace
    humblepeace Member Posts: 85
    Options

Hi All,

I have a question about Fish Oil (Omega-3) supplements. I just recently started to take one capsule a day in the last 12 days. I found that after reading the label there was soy and vitamin E also in the capsule. So, I began to search online and found that the majority of fish oils have both soy and vitamin E or at least soy. Is that combination okay when taking arimidex or for those taking tamoxifen? Does anyone have a recommendation as I have checked both Walmart and Costco.

Thanks

• janett2014
    janett2014 Member Posts: 2,950
    Options

I have been on Anastrozole for 4 years and have always taken it at bedtime. I've noticed some sleep issues gradually happening in the last several months. Would these issues have happened without the medication, or is the Anastrozole affecting my sleep? I don't know the answer to that question, so I'm going to switch and take it in the morning.

We will see if that helps. Otherwise, I have some joint pain as well as hot flashes which are definitely worse in these hot summer months. During the winter they are infrequent and hardly noticeable. I take Claritin for the joint pain.

• WndrWoman
    WndrWoman Member Posts: 11
    Options

After 4 years my pharmacy is having trouble filling my Anastrozole made by Teva. Is anyone else having problems getting Teva? Any recommendations for a different manufacturer?

• debal
    debal Member Posts: 600
    Options

wndr woman, I was on the accord brand for about 7 months. Really started to feel side effects at the 5-6 month mark. After reading here I searched all over town for TEVA. Most places either didnt carry it or it would be a long wait due to manufacturing delay. If you are near a CVS try there. I transferred my prescription and was lucky and got it immediately. I've been on it a month and I think symptoms may have subsided a little. When I went in to pick up refill he offered me 90 days and I jumped at that chance just in case. Best of luck!

• Houston2016
    Houston2016 Member Posts: 248
    Options

Hello,

I have,been on Anastrozol since 11/2016 and experienced hip pain and toes and fingers. I also degenerative disk disease and off and on back issues. I had bone density and found out bone loss. I been taking Strontium from Algae Cal almost a year and it seemed to strengthen my bones no more hip pain. I wait to have another bone density to see how it improve. I'm wondering what is the difference between Anastrozol with TEVA and another manufacture. Thanks.