Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Australian Sisters

Options

Comments

• suzieq60
    suzieq60 Member Posts: 1,422
    edited April 2011
    Options

I'm only working 4 hours a day so that's even better :) After Easter is over and I do my first 4 morning week, I'll start increasing the hours so I add a full day each week. I don't have any choice my employer won't allow it. I have a special rehab girl who looks after me and I have to get a doctor's certificate to say I can work more hours every time I increase it. I love my job :)

• luv_gardening
    luv_gardening Member Posts: 362
    edited April 2011
    Options

For Australians wanting to buy supplements such as melatonin which are not approved for sale here, we can import limited amounts of unapproved therapeutic goods subject to certain conditions, the main ones are set out below.

---------------------------
    Personal importation at a glance
    Access to unapproved therapeutic goods

Personal importation occurs when:
    -an individual either brings a therapeutic good into Australia on their person or arranges from within Australia for a therapeutic good to be sent to them from an overseas supplier; and
    -the goods are to be used by that individual or a member of his/her immediate family and are not sold or supplied to any other person.
    -The goods can only be either for use by the importer or a member of the importer's immediate family.
    -The quantity imported can not exceed three months' supply per importation and the total quantity imported per year can not exceed 15 months' supply at the manufacturer's recommended maximum dosage.

---------------------------
    Certain goods are of course forbidden, foods, steroids etc, but most will be allowed or the company should stop you from putting the order through so as not to break the law.

Source:
    Australian Government, Therapeutic Goods Administration

-Sheila-  

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438
    edited May 2011
    Options

Oh my!!! Everyone must be doing extremely well no-one has come to visit for quite a while!

Sheila, good info.  I tried to get something sent in a few months ago and it got confiscated by customs....so that was a waste of money!....grrrr!

~Chrissy~

• vivvygirl
    vivvygirl Member Posts: 171
    edited May 2011
    Options

Hey all,

Good luck to all doing the mothers day classic tomorrow.

I am doing the walk in Adelaide if you see me number 6666 make sure you say hello .

Hugs

Viv

• chrissyb
    edited May 2011
    Options

Good luck Viv, I'll be cheering you on!  I'm in Adelaide at the moment as I just returned my GS's to their mum after having them with me for a week.

Love n hugs.  Chrissy

• AussieSheila
    AussieSheila Member Posts: 439
    edited May 2011
    Options

This Grandma (2nd = 3wks old) had her mothers day lunch with sons today due to the son's wives mothers getting theirs tomorrow.  I didn't realise before-hand how much one grandchild extends ones family, add another sons child and suddenly we have a whole lot of family.  Trying to sort out a mothers day, with so many people involved, is mind boggling!

After lunch, I was at son's house having a great cuddle with the 3wk old when my phone rang.  Trying to juggle baby and phone had me holding the phone about 6inches from GS.  It was a phone spammer trying to get money as usual, when all of a sudden the little fella let rip one of the biggest pharts I've ever heard in my life................his father was so proud of him living up to his standards!  I was so shocked (and red in the face) at the thought of some strange woman thinking I was some sort of bogan doing that right in her ear, I virtually hung up on her before collapsing in laughter, along with everyone else, on the floor.

The little bloke will be hearing the echoes of that one for years to come.Embarassed  It would have been even better if someone had had their video camera going at the time.

Sheila.

• chrissyb
    edited May 2011
    Options

Oh Sheila, I just LMAO reading your story and my GS asked what I was laughing at so I read it to him and at 13 anything to do with bodily noises is a great joke to him.  Congrats on your new GS, they really are sooo precious!  It is amazing how the family grows even when children find their partners then introduce their children and.....WOW!!!......a small family seemingly grows over night to be a large one!

Love n hugs. Chrissy

• AussieSheila
    AussieSheila Member Posts: 439
    edited May 2011
    Options

You can say that again, Chrissy!

Another thing I have learnt during the last three weeks is that I have to 'share' my time equally between the new mums and their babes, especially when we are all together.

It's all right when I am baby sitting the 8 month old, I can cuddle to my hearts content.  The newest mother, no 1 sons partner, is 36 and very insecure re her mothering techniques so I find myself offering advice very temperately.  A simple suggestion can be rebuffed with 'they don't do that these days,' so I leave it to the younger son's wife to offer the latest opinions.  Being a nurse, she carries a lot more cudos than an old woman who raised 4 children, virtually on her own, without any help from anyone.

Ooooh, such a minefield I am walking these days................another instance of 'being careful what you wish for.'  Happy families can be hard work for some of us.

Sheila. 

• chrissyb
    edited May 2011
    Options

Got where you are coming from Sheila........it's hard when help is taken as interference and you know what you have to say really does make things easier for the new mum.  I just think sometimes they have to learn the hard way....on their own!

• Trisha-Anne
    Trisha-Anne Member Posts: 1,661
    edited May 2011
    Options

Hello all!

I was only wondering the other day how everyone was going.

I'm doing well - the Arimidex is playing havoc with my knee, but compared to chemo it's a walk in the park lol.  Worst thing is if I need to squat down (to get to the bottom shelf etc) I have almost no hope of getting up again if there isn't something I can support myself on.  I feel like I'm aging to 90 in just a couple of weeks.

Working full time now - and enjoying it.  Chrissy - the worker from hell has settled down somewhat, so no more screaming from her :-)

Spending most of my spare time in the garden - we have just had 2 minus 3 temps in a row - so all the tomatoes have had it, and the dahlias that have been flowering up until this weekend are also suddenly dead.  Interestingly though, the sweet peas are still flowering well.

Made buckets of green tomato chutney on the weekend, and the last batch of Chrissy's wonderful tomato soup lol

Now the leaves are finally falling of the trees, I can see more weeds than I wanted to - so lots of weeding coming up next weekend.

Hugs to you all

Trish

xoxo

• chrissyb
    edited May 2011
    Options

Hi Trish, I'm so glad to hear that the screaming has stopped and the work place is a much nicer place to be.  I hear where you are coming from with the knee and squatting....lol....I haven't been able to do that for about ten years n ow due to arthritis. Bothe knees are due for replacement, the doc is only waiting for me to say I've had enough........upshot is, I never know if painful knees is from meds or just coz they are plain worn out........lol.

Glad you are enjoying the tomato soup recipe, it's so easy and oh sooooo tasty!

I'm with you on the weeding, my garden has once again become overgrown so I'm looking forward to next week when I'll be home with time to spend outside........that is if the weather co-operates and stays fine!

Love n hugs to all.   Chrissy

• suzieq60
    edited May 2011
    Options

Hi Girls,

I'm doing my first full day @ work today!! I am really tired so far and can't wait to leave :)  My DH made me ride 17.5k yesterday - not happy Jan.

Sue

• chrissyb
    edited May 2011
    Options

LOL....Sue, that's what I call over doing it!  Tell him to back of a bit!

• Trisha-Anne
    edited May 2011
    Options

Sue - 17.5k???  What was the man thinking lol

• suzieq60
    edited May 2011
    Options

I know!!! - he said - lets ride over to Toombul and have lunch there. He's found this Indian place he likes. I didn't even want Indian as I had left overs that were yummy. The people who own it were really nice though. On the way back he said - Let's go and have a drink at the pub. I threw my bike down on the bike track and sat down and cried :) I eventually made it home after a nice glass of wine at the pub. He's saying - It's easy!!! All good for him since he has been riding consistently for ages. This was only my 3rd ride in the last 3 weeks after 18 months of not doing any!!

Sue

• chrissyb
    edited May 2011
    Options

OMG......He pushed you that far?  What on earth was he thinking?

• suzieq60
    edited May 2011
    Options

I'm trying to think up revenge :)

• chrissyb
    edited May 2011
    Options

Make it a good one!..LOL

• Trisha-Anne
    edited May 2011
    Options

Sue - how are you going with thinking up your revenge.  Even more important - have you recovered yet??  I couldn't imagine getting on a bike and doing 17.5 meters, let alone kms!  The Arimidex is hurting my knee so bad.

My DH has bought Zumba, and I haven't been able to face even thinking about it yet.  Will have to do something soon though - weight is becoming impossible to manage.

For all of you who are feeling the cold and thinking it must be snowing somewhere - well it is! lol not at our place yet - but it is bl**dy freezing here.  In Canberra yesterday the temp got up to around 9 I think, but when you factor the wind chill in, apparently it was more like minus 1!  All day!!

Garden has now gone to God - officially.  This weekend I'm just going to cut everything down to ground level and wait till Spring. :-)

Trish

• chrissyb
    edited May 2011
    Options

Trish, my youngest brother has just moved with his family to Canbera and I know they will be F R E E Z I N G !!!!!!!!.......lol  Shame  about the garden but look what you have to look forward to!  Hearing you on the knees!!!!!

• suzieq60
    edited May 2011
    Options

I got my revenge - he kicked a toe and it's still hurting :)

I did go and buy some padded bike pants today, which I'll wear under my shorts - we're not into the lycra cult. DH wears his bike pants under shorts too.

I'm really tired today - still having trouble getting to sleep - bloody Arimidex!!! Full day at work tomorrow and I'm ready for bed NOW!!! even though it's a bit early.

Sue

• suzieq60
    edited May 2011
    Options

Hey Chrissy - go and look at the pic of my quilt on the stitches thread.

• chrissyb
    edited May 2011
    Options

I just been there Sue....it's BEAUTIFUL!   You clever girl you!  I really love the colour.

Had to laugh at the revenge......kicking toes hurt like the dickens! Paybacks really are a B**ch.......lol  On the subject of your tiredness, have you tried taking the A at night instead of the morning?  I was having the same problem with Femara but changed to the night and boy did I see a big improvement!  If you're not doing that, give it a try......can't hurt.

Finally got home at about 6.30pm tonight and after checking my diary, I can stay home until Monday week........oh Heaven!

• suzieq60
    edited May 2011
    Options

Thanks Chrissy!! I started taking the Arimidex at night and switched to morning because of the sleeping thing. I could try switching back I guess. I didn't have any trouble last night seeing I was exhausted.

• Trisha-Anne
    edited May 2011
    Options

Lol @ Sue - yes - good revenge.

I'm having trouble sleeping too!  I take my Arimidex in the mornings, as most women who have trouble sleeping think that taking it in the morning is better than at night.  I find that I'm tired, and fall asleep almost immediately then wake up about 15 minutes later and then it's hard to get back to sleep.

Can you girls tell me how often you get follow ups after dx?  I'm sure my BS said originally that it would be every six months, but he died in March and I'm now without a BS.  The Onc said twelve months after surgery.  I saw my GP last week and asked him if I could have an ultrasound as I'm worried about the ILC coming back in the other breast and he agreed.  So - what's the standard of care in Australia?  And who looks after you?  BS? Onc? GP?

Trish

xoxo

• suzieq60
    edited May 2011
    Options

Trish - same thing with me!! I tried acupuncture - didn't help. I might try switching back to nights for a while. I've been taking melatonin at night which has helped. I have pulsatile tinnitus as well which is the main source of my getting to sleep/waking up problem.

I'm being followed every 6 months with alternate MRI/Mammo/US. Obviously because of the bilateral thing. Originally it was 12 months and then they found the second one.

Did you have ILC? - your signature says IDC.

DH's toe still hurts!!! The weather is so nice, I think I'm going to have to go for a ride this weekend - I can try out my new lycra :)

Sue

• Trisha-Anne
    edited May 2011
    Options

Hi Sue

I had both ILC and IDC - both in the same breast.  I didn't know how to change my signature to put both lol - so put the IDC, as it's the triple pos and was bigger.  The ILC was smaller, ER/PR+ but HER2-

I'm going to ask the Onc about how to fix the sleeping problem next time I see him - have you been offered anything other than melatonin?  Do you get that at chemist?  Or have to import it?

Hope you have a fun bike ride this time - and enjoy the new lycra lol

Trish

xoxo

• suzieq60
    edited May 2011
    Options

I just take the over the counter homeopathic stuff - I have thought about ordering the real stuff but haven't gotten around to it yet. I was curious about your ILC as I had triple pos ILC which is very rare.

• chrissyb
    edited May 2011
    Options

Trish, I get follow ups every 4 months but I am stage IV.  These followups are done by my BS and I have a regular check up every 6 weeks with my GP.......he deals with the day to day stuff and making sure I have all the scripts that I need for pain, sleep, blood pressure, femara etc, etc.  I have been only seeing the BS since going stage IV before that, my GP kept an eye on me.  The Melatonin needs to be on a script and is available at compounding chemists only.  It is a naturally occuring thing but in Australia for some reason I can't fathom you do need a script.  It would be so much easier without one and of course it costs what a normal script costs.  I also have some prescription sleeping pills but I prefer not to take them as they always give me the sleeping pill hangover the next day which is a real pain.

I have changed my beverage at night as well and am finding that to be of help as well.  I used to drink about three mugs of tea after dinner but I now have one and if I need to drink I drink water and before bed when I take my pills, I have a mug of warm milo and I have found this makes me relax and I get to sleep fairly quickly.

Hope this helps.   Love n hugs.  Chrissy

• luv_gardening
    luv_gardening Member Posts: 362
    edited May 2011
    Options

Ladies, I got my melatonin online from iHerb.  Natural Factors 3mg, 90 chewable tablets only $4.49. plus $8 minimum postage so add other cheap supps to your order to spread the postage cost.  If you want to take less to start slowly just cut in half. They say it's best not to take them every day so they will last for ages. 

I take them as they may increase e-Cadherin expression thereby making lobular BC more responsive to tamoxifen.  Those of us with ILC may not be expressing e-Cadherin so that tamoxifen doesn't work as well if at all. Research into ILC is very low as they all use the IDC cell line, MCF-7 for their in-vitro and in-vivo research.

Also melatonin and Vitamin D3 may act together to inhibit BC.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21091766

-Sheila-