Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

TRIPLE POSITIVE GROUP

Comments

• Kay_G
    Kay_G Member Posts: 1,914

LOL. Me too. Went out tonight and only drank half of one light beer. I could have drunk the whole bottle, but would have had a buzz from it. Wouldn't necessarily been a bad thing.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,246

I tried to have a glass of wine last night (we had dinner guests) but ended up with an instant headache.  Just easier for me not to drink because I can't predict the headache.

• Kay_G

It seems to be good for bringing on hot flashes too. Since I'm always cold I told my onc that I like hot flashes, not sure why people are complaining so much. She got a chuckle out of that. Just started tamoxifen today, she said I may not like the hot flashes that come with that.

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

Alcohol is know to bring on hot flashes as well as spicy (hot) foods and smoking.

• specialk

So tequila shots, jalapeno poppers and cuban cigars are out?  Damn.

• lago

Note to self, Must hang around with Special K. Special K ever have a spicy mango margarita?

• specialk

lago - I would hang out with you anytime!  I have had a mango margarita but not spicy.  They have mango and pomegranite ones at a local restaurant here.  I count them as a serving of fruit!

• pejkug3
    pejkug3 Member Posts: 277
    I was never told to avoid drinking while taking Tamoxifen.  I don't drink very often but I have noticed that the alcohol hits me faster as well!

I'm still toying with the idea of the ooph to reduce estrogen.  My onc says no, but I talked to a new doctor this week  that said he's being very conservative.  A more radical approach would be to do the ooph.  She has patients that are on both sides of the fence.  I'm just not sure.
  • specialk

The only restriction I have heard was from a conference I went to in September put on by Moffitt Cancer Center (NCI designated center) and it had to do with recurrence risk - more than 5 drinks per week raised recurrence risk by 34%.  If your risk is 10%, it would be more like 13% if more than 5 drinks (glass of wine, a beer, or a cocktail) per week.  When that was said there was an audible gasp in the room!

• lago

BTW I also read that triple positive/luminal B tend not consume lots of alcohol:

"Luminal B patients also were less likely to use hormone replacement therapy (OR 0.66, 95% CI 0.46 to 0.94) and oral contraceptives (OR 0.73, 95% CI 0.55 to 0.96), or to consume alcohol (OR 0.74, 95% CI 0.56 to 0.98), the investigators found." source

• dragonfly1
    dragonfly1 Member Posts: 516
    Lago and SpecialK Love the sound of the Margaritas! SpecialK you are raining on my parade, however. I haven't been drinking at all for years because it previously brought on an automatic migraine (severe problem for me). Since chemo the migraines are completely gone and I can drink again and now you tell me I have to keep it under 5 drinks per week. Well, I'm sipping my glass of wine right now and feeling grateful that the Tamoxifen makes 1 glass feel like 2:)
  • pejkug3
    pejkug3 Member Posts: 277

Oh, Dragonfly - too funny!

I have drank more since being off chemo for the same reason!  No more migraines.  But I do have a regular period.  No idea why no more migraines but you won't catch me complaining.

• kennylynne
    kennylynne Member Posts: 75

Wow  i think I want to hang out with you ladies as well LOL.. Sounds like we could have  agreat party together!!! I do love to have a nice cold beer or a glass of wine. Thanks ladies

• lago

Hey chemo got rid of my astigmatism. Go figure. I can use over the counter glasses… but my next eye exam is in March so lets see if it lasts.

I never could hold my liquor so usually 1 margarita does it for me.

• specialk

I am in the one drink class as well - I had reflux surgery 15 years ago and have trouble with both the red wine headache and some mixed drinks (like a regular margarita) giving me a stomach ache.  Plus, now I will fall asleep after one drink so I have to be careful where I am while having that drink!

dragonfly - I can understand why you want to enjoy a drink since the migraines are not happening!  So, excellent that the Tamoxifen is providing an amplification for you while you make up for lost drinking time!

• mtnbiker
    mtnbiker Member Posts: 34

HI Ladies,

Love all  the humor!!! Just what the dr ordered...Hot flashes not a pretty thing, I have been having for 2 yrs.:(  SO iam hearing no alcohol and chemo? I do like my wine, but makes me wonder if thats how i arrived here? with  the new study out?,

• specialk

mtnbiker - my onc said an occasional glass of wine (or your choice) during chemo is fine, however, I don't think there was a point where alcohol tasted good to me.  My taste changes lasted fairly far into each tx.  I had surgical menopause 10 years ago - hot flashes are nothing new for me, but now that chemo is over they are less intense.  Who knows how any of arrived here - that is a question mark for sure - but we can't worry about it, only go forward from this point, right?

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,797

I am a big red wine fan. It tasted like acid while I was on chemo so didn't drink it. I usually have a glass or two on the weekends now. I try to avoid mixed drinks. Somehow, I am trying to convince myself that the alcohol in mixed drinks is different than that in my red wine. lol

I saw that same study, so I limit my weekly consumption to 2-3 pr week tops.

Do you think if we go for three or four weeks drinking nothing, we can go on a binge? Between December 12 and December 31st, I have my birthday, two parties, Christmas Eve, Christmas, a family get together, my son's birthday, my niece's wedding rehearsal dinner, the wedding and New Year's Eve.

I need to save up!!!!

• mtnbiker

Right! Right! thxs for putting me straight!!!  SpecialK

FluffqueenO... sounds good to me! Congrads on ur twins:)

• christine1000
    christine1000 Member Posts: 12

I get a zoladex shot every 6 months - put me into men. w/out the surgery.  it might be an option for you.  shuts off ovaries. good luck.

• lago
    I had a glass of wine 10 days after my first chemo. It was my wedding anniversary and you just can't eat French food without a glass of wine. Tongue out
  • Kay_G

I had only a few glasses of wine during the entire 4 months of chemo and maybe a couple bottles of beer. And they were light beers, so that's only like half a bottle, right? Or am I kidding myself? But I sound like the typical liminol b since that is what I did before bc too and have never taken hormone replacement therapy and only took birth control pills for a couple of years.

Dragonfly, way to find the bright side in it! I don't drink often, but once in a while when we go to a party, I would like to have a drink or two or three, but bc has spoiled that for me. I will think of your quote if it bothers me.

Lago, so overall, is prognosis for liminol a and b about the same?

I like this discussion.

• carberry
    carberry Member Posts: 997

mtnbiker  yes the chemo shrunk it dramatically and the doc got nice clean margins.

I would have a glass of wine a few days out from chemo,  they said just dont drink on the day of....like who could do that?  Now that I am semi-menopausal and on tamoxifen a glass of wine gives me an instant flush.  My face will get beet red, and I go into an instant hot flash.

I too wonder if alcohol consumption was a factor for me,   I was the typical teenager, college student, overindulging in the partying. But the doctors also say wine is good for heart disease and more women die of heart disease then breast cancer....soo everything in moderation right?

• TonLee
    TonLee Member Posts: 1,589

I love Tequila.  LOVE it...but the good stuff, not that rot gut worm in the bottle...1800  Silver, or my very fav. Patron Silver......

I don't drink too often, but when I do, that's what I like....and I'm really liking this Yeungling beer!!  No after taste....fabulous!

Got my first haircut (ok trim)  yesterday....took about 2 minutes...no shampoo or style...lol....and CHEAP!  Gotta love that :)

• lago

Kay, luminal A has a bit better prognosis but not huge. I would post the link but right now I'm on the bus going to work typing on my new phone. My access to my links is challenging.

• NancyJill
    NancyJill Member Posts: 127

Gosh, I wish I had chemopause going on. I get my cycle twice as often now, and the heavy days are twice as many. At first I thought it was tragic when my onc said I would likely have menopause early (because at 46, it made me feel prematurely "mature"), but now I am wishing for it! I may have to wait for Tamox when my chemo is done in order to get done with all of this hassle. I think I may end up being grateful for "the change."

I do think there is a relationship between estrogen, cancer and my migraines, too. Happily for me, Inderal has cut my headaches down drastically.

One drink was always enough. My sister may bring wine to Thanksgiving. She asked whether I can drink. I said, "not much." I think half a drink will do what one used to now! 

• mtnbiker

good to know carberry!

• specialk

tonlee - I just got a haircut last Wednesday.  I looked at my receipt and it said "bang trim" and was $10.  So apparently I don't have hair, I have tiny bangs all over my head - lol!

• omaz
    omaz Member Posts: 4,218

Tiny bangs all over my head - LOL!!

• specialk

Seriously - they kind of are!  Especially when I first wake up and my hair (bangs) look all crazy.  Hey, I am just excited it is long enough to look messy!