Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

TRIPLE POSITIVE GROUP

Comments

• nora_az
    nora_az Member Posts: 391

I was bruised too!  You may need something for pain tomorrow. (800 mg ibuprofen) Hopefully not but just be prepared  :)

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,246

If my MO approves the port removal I am seriously considering letting PS remove it during exchange.  I think he will make a nicer incision too, because he is a PS.  My exchange surgery is so delayed that I will finish Herceptin before I am ready.  I hesitate to take it out because my port is virtually invisible and it is in plain sight 24 hours a day - I guess the call will be made by my MO.

• omaz
    omaz Member Posts: 4,218
    TonLee - Holy cow!!!  I had it easy in the hospital - guess I am glad my surgeon only does them there.  Hope you feel better real quick.  Very interesting about the replacement of the port - thanks for reporting about that, one more thing to know about.
  • YaYa5
    YaYa5 Member Posts: 532
    tonlee, holy cow!!  i'm glad the ordeal is behind you now.  and as omaz said, thank you for the information about port placement.  take care of yourself!
  • moni731
    moni731 Member Posts: 212

Hello everyone! Hope everyone had a nice holiday period.  I saw the rad onc today and she understood my hesitation to do rads. She agreed not to do rads at this time, but would follow me closely and if the cancer returns, a mx and rads would be done at that time. Since I am so sensitive to everything, I would probably have SE's from the rads! While she said it would be the SOC, she could understand why I don't want to. Also d/t the fact that I had a 'complete physiologic response' to the chemo that I did have, that was reassuring. Better to win the war than a battle!

TonLee-  so sorry that the port removal was so bad! I demanded that my surgeon do it under anesthesia in the OR. No pain! 

• arlenea
    arlenea Member Posts: 1,150

Good grief!  I'm getting close to being deported too.  Now getting nervous again!  So glad it is over TonLee.  Thanks for the information on the reporting too.

Hope tomorrow is an ok day for you!

Arlene

• cowgirl13
    cowgirl13 Member Posts: 782

TonLee, it sounds like an absolute nightmare.  So sorry you had to go thru it this way. My port surgeries were done in the operating room and I was out.   I had no idea what was going on both times.  I am so glad they did it this way.  I just don't understand why it isn't standrard procedure.  As far as my sentinel node biopsy, it was all done in the operating room during my lumpectomy.  

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,797

Nora....i have kept my hands and feet in frozen peas religiously, and they were perfect....until I forgot them a month ago. Suddenly, they are all ridgy, peely and breaking low. I went back to peas yesterday. I also kept that new shellac manicure on them.....until last month. Now I am not taking anymore chances. I ony have 4 treatments left.

Regarding port removal.....I better be out...not just numb. I may ask my ps about it when he does nipples too and ave them both done at once.

• kriskat
    kriskat Member Posts: 116

TonLee -so sorry about the port removal:(. I haven't posted on here much lately,just trying to find a little normal in my life. I had my first mammo and MRI since being dx a yr a go and just got the call that everything looks great! What a great news to ring in the new yr:)

• Kay_G
    Kay_G Member Posts: 1,914

Good news kriskat, congrats!

TonLee and nora, no worries about scaring me with the port removal stories.  I will be scared to death when it comes time no matter what.  But I am glad to hear the worst stories to prepare myself, but hopefully mine won't be one of them..

Fluffqueen, do you ice your nails for herceptin?  I hadn't heard anyone doing that.  My nails got really hard and ridgedy and ugly on AC and taxotere, but now on herceptin only, they got very soft and tear on almost anything.  They will get stuck on my shirt and then rip.  They are already very short.  I can't keep them any shorter.

• TonLee
    TonLee Member Posts: 1,589

Thanks everyone for the kind words :)

Today I am sore, but nothing too bad.  I think I'm on the road to recovery, sans port!  lol

• nora_az

You are free now TonLee!!!   Did you notice the big difference in the feeling when you turn your neck? I loved that! I couldn't quite turning my head to the side because I couldn't feel that stupid tube that ran up my neck anymore.

• pejkug3
    pejkug3 Member Posts: 277

Love that news, KrisKat!

I go tomorrow for my first bilateral mammo since diagnosis.  To say that I feel emotional today would be an understatement.  *sigh*

Off for some retail therapy - maybe that will calm my nerves.  ;)

• nora_az

KrisKat!   that is awesome news!

• kriskat
    kriskat Member Posts: 116

Pejkug- I had a ton of anxiety too before the apptmt. The mammo was much easier than my first one last yr (found lump at 36 so I had never had mammo). It was quick and the radiologist reviewed it immediately, said it looked great and sent me on for my MRI .

Just wanted to say Thanks to all u ladies!!!! I would have never gotten thru the last yr without u! Only 3 more herceptin to go!!!!

• dragonfly1
    dragonfly1 Member Posts: 516

Great news Kriskat! Pejkug3, I hope you also have great results. I'm due for my first mammogram since diagnosis in January and I'm already feeling anxious about it. I tried to schedule it but the office said they couldn't schedule yet because they need a doctor available since I'm in a "high risk" category and they don't know the doctors schedules for Jan yet. I've been feeling an increase in my anxiety lately. I guess it's the end of treatment anxiety-this is honestly the most anxiety I've felt since diagnosis and I hope it will improve once I've passed the mammogram. I have 2 more Herceptins left and will finish on Feb 7th and then I'm getting the port out as soon as I can.

• omaz
    Is that your real hair dragonfly??
  • dragonfly1
    dragonfly1 Member Posts: 516
    Omaz Yes, that was the summer before I was diagnosed-I decided it would make me feel better to update my avatar to the "real" me so I don't have to look at my wig anymore:)
  • AlaskaAngel
    AlaskaAngel Member Posts: 694

TonLee, I'm so sorry to hear about your experience with port removal.

I know surgically putting one in or taking one out can be more difficult for those whose anatomy doesn't have lots of soft tissue to work with.

I sometimes wonder if the tissue growth that can sometimes attach to a port might be more problematic for breast cancer patients now that there is more use of blood growth stimulators, with the thought that maybe they stimulate more angiogenesis??? I declined use of any of them.

I had my port for over 6 years and had no problems when I finally had it removed. I do have a flat scar that is whitish, about 1 1/2 inches long and 1/4 inch wide.

I would think what he meant was that the scar tissue appears to have very healthy growth, maybe meaning that it might thicken enough to make putting a port exactly in the same spot more difficult -- but I'm not sure.

A.A.

• saralmom
    saralmom Member Posts: 216

kriskat - great news!  My MRI was this month, and when I got the letter in the mail saying the results were normal, I burst into tears.  Wasn't expecting that emotional reaction.

pejkug - good luck with your mammo tomorrow!! 

• carberry
    carberry Member Posts: 997

Congrats to everyone on the good reports....we have come such a long way in a year.

On port removal...my doc numbed me very well, and the worst for me was the sound of her snipping with the scissors and the pull  tugging of her trying to get it out,  no real pain though.  the sounds really creeped me out, so I kept talking to her as much as i could, asking about her family and schooling etc...ha ha she probably thought I was the nosiest patient ever!  Sore and bruised afterwards, but nothing a tylenol couldnt manage.

• arlenea

Yee Haw Kriskat.  I had my mammo today and was scheduled for an ultrasound too.  Had the mammo (it didn't even hurt) and was waiting for the ultrasound and the tech came and told me to get dressed and go see the Radiologist.  No ultrasound!  He gave me the good news that everythring looked great and I should have this done every 6 months to track any changes.  He says the scar tissue resembles a tumor (used a term I should have written down) and said each 6 months it should reduce until it is gone.  He says every 6 months is critical.

We're going out to celebrate tonight!  I too had to hold back tears when he told me!

There were 2 ladies waiting for ultrasounds who had lumps and both have breast cancer in their family - mothers and sisters.  Scary stuff!  My heart was breaking for them!

• omaz

Congrats on the good reports - love to read good news!!!

Arlene - I didn't know that about the scar tissue.  I am going every 6 months too. 

• arlenea

Omaz:  Odd that my bs in Vegas said no mammos on the affected breast for 12-18 months because of the scar tissue and the radiologist totally disagreed with her....this is my new baseline according to him.  I feel so great!!!!!!!

• arlenea

I know this isn't the hair blog but the technician asked me if I lost my hair and I said look at me.  Oh she says, when did you finish?  I said finished chemo in June.  She was amazed and I am just totally amazed that so few people know about the cold caps!!!  I have my hair....I cut it short because it was breaking and a bit thin because it was dry and looking scraggly but it is cute short and hair!

I also used the neck guard to protect my thyroid!

• mimi791
    mimi791 Member Posts: 53

I'm getting deported tomorrow morning.......after 2.5 years.  I know there is probably scar tissue, but my doc is a friend of the family, so he better numb the living bejeesus out of me or family outings are going to be less than fun for all involved!  Is anyone else just a little nervous about not having one?  I have this strange feeling that it's like a safety net, and the minute it's gone something bad might happen........I think I need to stop thinking!  On a birighter note, what a way to start the new year....port free :0)  No more puffy pillow under the seatbelt.

Mimi

• omaz

Arlene - They told me the same about the baseline.  Happy for you!!!

• nora_az

Speaking of mammos etc. I had BMX with DIEP. When I saw my GYN I was surprised she still did a breast exam. 

• nora_az

Speaking of mammos etc. I had BMX with DIEP. When I saw my GYN I was surprised she still did a breast exam. 

• Fitz33
    Fitz33 Member Posts: 123

TonLee, Your experience with the deporting sounds horrible!  Sorry you had to go through that.  Congrats to everyone whose came out okay though.  I had my first 6 mo. post-bilateral mammo & it looked good enough on 2 views that the radiologist decided not to take anymore.  Apparently there is a "diagnostic mammo" and a "routine mammo", the diagnostic being 4 views or more which is what I was scheduled for so I was glad to have the good news.  I'm to have a mammo every 6 months, bilateral one time and not both the next time, and an MRI once a year.  I'm waiting for the results of my MRI now but I know that will come ut good.  I'm usually a relaxed person but that first 6 mo. mammo, I was crazed in the weeks before it thinking the worst. 

Dragonfly:  I understand completely about how nervous you were for that mammo.  I felt the same, much worse than diagnosis.  And I hate it when they call us "high risk" to our faces.  Everytime someone does that I'm always depressed.  But enough, we're well now!