Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

TRIPLE POSITIVE GROUP

Comments

• ashla
    ashla Member Posts: 1,566

There is another thread in the forum which I am unable to link to on my device. It's titled 'lack of emphasis on vascular invasion' It has some very interesting links .

• loulou40
    loulou40 Member Posts: 31

I had a lumpectomy even though my BC was multifocal both tumours were in the same quadrant, I'm only a b cup so have been left with a large dent and my nipple has been pulled sideways, it's also smaller in size. I went with my BS recommendation and don't regret it, after all the treatment it was good not to have to worry about reconstruction. II have yearly mammograms and ultrasounds for screening which don't stress me out, although a lot of women find these stressful year after year .Her2 pos itsn't a contraindications for lumpectomy just comes down to your personal descion and your BS recommendation and what you feel comfortable with.

• nora_az
    nora_az Member Posts: 391

I was told all I needed at the minimum was a lumpectomy and rads. I was the one who asked for a double mastectomy. If I chose mastectomy I would get chemo. The breast surgeon told me that I could have immediate reconstruction with a skin sparing, nipple sparing mastectomy and that a plastic surgeon could come behind him and do DIEP. That is what I chose.

They did not expect to see a dirty node (or they were trying to keep me positive and just said that) I sometimes wonder if they knew one of the lymph nodes was affected if they would've wanted to do a mastectomy anyway? They knew I was triple positive before I had surgery. They never told me that or explained what that really meant.

At one point I remember one of the surgeon's (breast I think, it's all a blur) tell me he wasnt sure if I needed anything after surgery because the tumor size was small. Now I look back and I wonder what he was smoking. Being triple positive no matter what size the tumor was I thought was cause for chemo (or rads if you had a lumpectomy) At any rate, I am happy with my decision. I feel peace of mind .

• nora_az

Happy New Year to all of my friends in the Triple Postive Group. I feel as if we have been through one hell of a year. I dont know about you but I was so happy to see 2011 gone.

Yeahhh us!

• missy_111
    missy_111 Member Posts: 97
    nora_az -  I feel the same way.  Onto bigger and better things in 2012!!
  • kriskat
    kriskat Member Posts: 116

Big week emotionally for me-turned 37 today and was officially dx a yr ago coming up on the 6th. Just glad/thankful to have reached this Bday:).

• gasurvivor2011
    gasurvivor2011 Member Posts: 150

Happy New Year to you all in our triple positive sisterhood. You have been my friends through this past year in ways you'd never know. I don't post often anymore, but I am so thankful for each and every one of you.

I agree bring on 2012. Cheers to us all! My cancerversary is coming soon too. Had my screening mammo on 1/3/2011; diagnostic, u/s, biopsy 1/11; got the news 1/14; then more tests etc and BMX on 1/22. 

Just a few more doses of Herceptin then hope to join the deported ranks. Just me and arimidex (anastrozole which I call 'my nastyzole pill') for a few more years after that.

Cheers & Happy New Year to you all. and thankful to know you--the amazing strong inspiring women that you all are. 

Lisa

• Awnooo
    Awnooo Member Posts: 56

beautiful triple positive ladies,

this has got to be our year!

may God bless us all,

thank you for strenghtening me with your experiences,

even if it is painful to remember certain stuff,

big hug to all of you!!!!

• nora_az

You are all making me emotional now!  This is a sisterhood. One we were unwillingly put in yet I couldnt think of more wonderful people to share my life with if that makes sense. No one else understands this crap but you all do. Sorry you have to be here with me but you all mean a lot to me.

Happy New Year!!!  Happy New Us!!!

• Kay_G
    Kay_G Member Posts: 1,914

Well said! I second that.

Happy, Healthy New Year!

• NWArtLady
    NWArtLady Member Posts: 239

ashla, I had a lumpectomy, chemo and will begin radiation soon and was diagnosed in June 2011 with grade 3, IDC, 2cm, Stage I, 0/1 sentinel node, ER+/PR+, HER2+.  I spoke to both my surgeon and 2 different oncologists regarding a mastectomy but all independently advised me against it.  Each said it just was not necessary given my individual circumstances. 

If you are still contemplating what to do, you might want to talk to more docs and get second and third opinions.  You are entitled to all the information you need to make the best decision for yourself in your circumstances. This board has been amazing for that - the women and men on these boards are a wealth of information!

Here's to a happy and healthy new year for everyone!

• missy_111
    I Third what nora said!!  All the best to everyone in the New Year!!
  • missy_111

And a Happy Birthday to you, Kriskat!

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,246

Happy b-day kriskat!

Happy New Year to all, and I pray that 2012 is a better year for each and every one of us!  I could not have survived the last year without you all!  I feel unlucky to have had BC, but so lucky to be with all of you!

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,797

Ditto what special k said. I am one month past the biopsy finding lcis. Twenty days before one year of identifying biopsy for idc and mastectomy was feb. 28. It has been on my mind constantly lately. Hmmmm....maybe this isnt the time to wean off pristiq.

• TonLee
    TonLee Member Posts: 1,589

Happy New Year my triple positive sisters!

May the new year be healthy, cancer-free, prosperous in love, and peaceful!

Tonya

• granuaile
    granuaile Member Posts: 24

I love the positive energy. Just got my lb prosthesis, a long time after my mastectomy in March!, and it fits and looks great. I feel normal, happy, and cancer-free (most of the time, until I remember how good my body is at making cancer cells!!!!) Happy New Year, everyone...

• Momof2inME
    Momof2inME Member Posts: 249

Hello ladies,

My official pathology report (finally) and I am triple positive, stage IIIa. I am having a very difficult time with all of this. My BMX with TE was 12 days ago and I start chemo this coming Monday (9th). I had a CAT scan yesterday, bone scan today, and wig consultation tomorrow. So incredibly overwhelming and almost too much to handle at times. i have been reading a lot of this thread and really enjoy the wealth of information and all the positive posts!!

• granuaile
    granuaile Member Posts: 24

Mom: I know this is a lot to take in, in a very limited amount of time. I was diagnosed IIIa last March, and have been scared out of my mind. Until I realized that this is an experience we're part of for the long term. Active treatment is over, but I still worry about recurrance.

• ashla
    ashla Member Posts: 1,566

It's a worldwind in the beginning. I don't even remember much of my first month since my dx mid October. It's only now that I have a list of questions for the docs. Kinda too late to ask some of them. Did your drs recommend bmx? Or did you make that decision?

Since youare starting chemo now and I've done half maybe someone can explain the bloodtests they take prior to each chemo and what to look for in them. I keep asking how do you know chemo is working. The nurse said there is a tumor marker blood test. Any insight from the ladies?

• specialk

ashla - there are several blood tests that are supposed cancer detection tests, but not all MOs do them.  I have had several CA 27/29 blood tests, but they are notoriously falsely high.  They can be thrown off by inflammation.  I had a normal test prior to chemo (when all known cancer had been surgically removed) and then one that was three times high normal after chemo, because I had inflammation everywhere.  My MO still does them as they are useful if they are trending continuously higher.  I have also had CEA tests done periodically, which is a carcinoembryonic antigen test, which measures a protein present when there is cancer growth.  The weekly blood tests you are probably having are CBC's which measure your blood counts and some other percentages and indicators relating to those counts.  They are measuring your white blood cells (abbr. WBC) to see if they are staying high enough.  If you are receiving Neulasta WBC is what is boosted.  White cells fight off infection.  Also they are looking at red blood cells (RBC) as well as hematocrit and hemoglobin.  A low hemoglobin will indicate the need for a transfusion of red cells.  Platelets are included in a CBC also - they are your clotting factors, they keep you from bleeding.  You can be transfused with platelets if they are too low.  Very low WBC, RBC or platelets will cause a delay in your chemo, so your MO is checking these to see if you are good to go for treatment. Ask for a copy of your CBC tests. You shoud see a column that shows the normal range for each of these tests - your number will be in another column, and can be followed by an H or an L if your numbers are high or low. Your onc nurses can help you with that. As far as whether or not my BS steered me toward BMX - mine did not as I was a lumpectomy candidate. I chose to have a BMX for peace of mind, and based on the surprises found in my nodes and prophy breast (even after mammo/US/MRI) I have no regrets. My BS was very cooperative and did as I wished. I was fortunate that my BS does nipple/skin sparing BMX and I was a candidate for that.

• shore1
    shore1 Member Posts: 591

Hi - I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right forum, but I thought it might be best to ask other triple positive girls since the answer might have to do with the triple +++ status. My question is under what circumstances a hysterectomy and/or oopherectomy would be done on a woman in her early 40's who is Stage I. Reading these boards, it seems like many women have the ooph even if they are Stage I with no node involvement. Are there circumstances like being highly ER+/PR+, HER-2+ or grade 3 that would cause doctors to recommend it? I know it is recommened for BRACA+, but when the BRACA is not a factor, would a prophylactic ooph be warranted when triple positive, high grade exists? Thanks for any info. 

• specialk

shore - I think they sometimes recommend it if you have trouble with estrogen suppression via Tamoxifen - such as risk factors like blood clots, or intolerance for the med.  If you have a hyst/ooph then you are postmenopausal and can take an AI, or roll the dice and go without.  High grade would also signal fast growth, and being highly ER+ can be problematic so prophy surgery can be a peace of mind thing. 

• NWArtLady
    NWArtLady Member Posts: 239

This might be a helpful site when thinking about prophylactic oophorectomy:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/breast-cancer/WO00095

• shore1

Thanks SpecialK &NWArtLady. I will see what my docs recommend, but the thought of estrogen running rampant in me scares the crap out of me.

• shore1

Thanks SpecialK &NWArtLady. I will see what my docs recommend, but the thought of estrogen running rampant in me scares the crap out of me.

• arlenea
    arlenea Member Posts: 1,150

So I saw my onco today to discuss returning to Herceptin but I still need to wait until I see the cardiologist.  She really wants me back on Herceptin and hoping to complete all 18 treatments.  She was very upset that the radiologist who read my mammo last week made the decision not to do an ultrasound which she ordered so back for the US and she wants another mammo now too.    My tumor marker tests came back perfect.  Vitamin D a bit low so I'll be increasing my Vitamin D from 2000 IU per day to 3000. 

• Judy67
    Judy67 Member Posts: 213

ashla - I was reading your posts and I know that the decision for mx vs. biopsy is a personal one.  Everyone has to decide what is best for them and go with it.  That being said, I thought I would share my experience.  I had BMX.  I went to my first appt with BS with my mind pretty well made up on that.  She was very supportive, and as they found several other spots of DCIS in the tissue they removed she said it was good I went that way.  It is my understanding that usually you don't need rads with mastectomy.  I had several factors that went into my decision:  1. I didn't want to chance eventually getting it in other breast.  2. Reconstruction more difficult with rads.  3. Wanted to match.  4. I was large breasted and I did not miss or mourn losing my breast.    I went with expanders and have already had my replacement surgery.  The mastectomy for me, wasn't bad at all.  I took Tylenol and then Advil, as codeine and morphine make me sick.  I only spent one night in the hospital and was out in public with drains hidden in camisole just a couple of days later.  The expanders were not the most comfortable, but my silicone implants are great.

Whatever you decide, good luck and I hope it all goes well.

• Layla2525
    Layla2525 Member Posts: 465

How do you read the Her2 test results,I looked up info on the internet but I am confused. I got a 3+ positive and 1+ negative and an equivocal 2+, what does all that mean? Do I just wait til I see the onc? The drs cant decide when to send me before or after surgery.

• Layla2525
    Layla2525 Member Posts: 465

Oh TX thats fabulous..I too am headed for a bmx even with IDC in only one side..but so happy somebody had a good deal with the expanders..I was fearing the things didnt work since I read about so many complications and the BS didnt seem like she really approved of recon but its my only silver lining...that I wont need so many mammograms that I can choose to maybe go a little bigger that my PS says I will have cleavage due to the way implants sit in the body...I have been rather small and always wore padded bras to feel feminine.  This disease is making me feel unfeminine and sometimes I think if I see one more pink ribbon I am going to get hives!!!