Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

TRIPLE POSITIVE GROUP

Comments

• dragonfly1
    dragonfly1 Member Posts: 516

I miss the boards for one day and so much happens...we're a chatty group:)

Congrats Pejkug!!!

• Snoopsmom
    Snoopsmom Member Posts: 42

I had a lumpectomy last week. Today at my follow-up with my BS the pathology report said I was +++ (by that I mean, ER+, PR+, HER2+). I was rather happy because I thought triple negative was the big bad wolf. Now after reading these threads it sounds like the wolf is circling my house. I thought the grade 1 status meant my tumor was not very aggressive, yet it sounds like the HER2+ negates that. Can anyone enlighten me about the ramifications of the triple positive status? I'm getting confused...

My surgeon is going to order an oncotype test...she said it would help determine if I would need chemo in addition to rads and hormone therapy. I haven't met with my RO and MO yet...

• kennylynne
    kennylynne Member Posts: 75

What are the chances of recurrence?????

• Awnooo
    Awnooo Member Posts: 56

http://www.cancernetwork.com/display/article/10165/1164019

found this, im sure other ladies here know a lot more than this, but i know its there...

• Awnooo
    ILBoysMom thank you!
  • TonLee
    TonLee Member Posts: 1,589

Lago,

It's interesting that you were told a port can't go back in the same place.  I was told the exact opposite.  My surgeon said there wouldn't be any problem placing it back in the same place unless there was a lot of scar tissue, and then it can be moved an inch either way.  (I have a lot of scar tissue.)  He said the reason some surgeons say they "can't" is because they prefer not to because there is an increased risk of infection because of scar tissue.

They re-place ports in the old pockets for BC at my facility all the time.  In fact the woman in the room before my deporting was a re-port.  Same place.

• Awnooo
    I would love to take Lago, Special K, and TonLee to my appointments with me! I would get some new respect! :)
  • lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

TonLee that may be true but it sounds like that the policy at my treatment place is not put in the same place.

Snoopsmom triple positive does have a better prognosis than triple negative. Both are agressive. Part of the issue is that triple negative don't have endorine therapy as a gun to stop the cancer. They only have chemo, surgery and/or rads. Triple positive has 5 additional years of horomone therapy.

Typically HER2+ is grade 3, some are grade 2. From what I have read grade I is less common. I would ask talk to your MO about this. S/he might want to test the HER2 again. Also if you are HER2+ they typically don't do an oncotype test. I thought a tumor of your size would automatically be given herceptin if you are HER2+. Herceptin works better when given with chemo. I would discuss this with your MO not your BS.The MO is more knowledgeable in this area.

• TonLee
    TonLee Member Posts: 1,589

Oh I must have misread Lago.  I thought you meant it "couldn't" be done...sorry about that.

• lago

Awnooo I believe my onc prefers TCH to AC-TH. Both are standard care for triple+. AC-TH is a few percetage points more effective but then there are some increase issues like possible heart toxicity with A. That's why A and H are never given together.

TCH is newer than AC-TH. Who knows what long term SE TCH might have.

• Snoopsmom
    lago - thanks for the info. I've tried doing some research on this but just get more and more confused. My path report says the HER2 is equivocal, which I took to mean is borderline. The FISH test says "Negative (not amplified); Her2/CEP17=1.4" which I took to mean as in the "normal" range and not a candidate for Herceptin. I will be printing out your explanation and taking it with me when I see the MO...hopefully that will be soon.
  • lago

Snoopsmom Then you are not triple positive. You are ER+/PR+. That makes more sense since your grade  is grade 1. the FISH test is the most accurate.  YOu are not HER2+. No herceptin for you. Also a better prognosis!

It also makes sense since your are node negative, HER2- and hormone positive that an oncotype was order. You may not need chemo. My fingers are crossed you don''t

• Snoopsmom
    lago - I guess I was mis-reading my path report. It says "HER2/neu: 2+/equivocal". I assumed that meant it was positive. Your words are very reassuring. I was worried about chemo because I am a 64 year old widow who lives alone. Thanks again!(Notice that I changed my diagnosis to reflect your latest info!)
  • omaz
    omaz Member Posts: 4,218
    Snoopsmom - As far as I know the FISH is pretty accurate and if it says negative you can go with negative as lago said.  That is great that you will get the oncotype DX test and maybe not have to have chemo.  Good luck!
  • lago

snoopsmom just sent you a PM

• Snoopsmom
    lago  - I just sent one back to you.
  • Awnooo
    SNOOPSMOM, so happy for u!! if that's it :D Cool 
  • fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,797

Hi all! Things are crazy fun in Indianapolis as we get ready for the Super Bowl. Going down on Saturday to enjoy the free concerts, zipline, and have fun in the Village. DD came home from LA today to work some of the VIP events as a red carpet model, and brand ambassador. Pay is too good to not bring her back for a week!

Any of you Giants or Patriots fans coming to Indy? We have our house up to rent if you know of someone. Send them my way!

Congrats to those finishing Herceptin. I have three more and I hope my nails hold out. They are really thin and bendy and the thumbs are peely. I have them buried in ice during infusion.

I submitted myself to the phase II vaccine trial that the army is doing. I heard from them today and am following up at the first of next week. I submitted to San Antonio Military Center but she said I need military benefits for that one, but that there were other sites she can refer me too. I will let you know what I find out.

Hope all is well with everyone! Come see our city!

• Snoopsmom

Well, I guess I no longer belong on this forum....thanks to everyone for the correct information, and I wish only the best for all of you.

• omaz
    omaz Member Posts: 4,218
    Snoops - Ask for onc for sure.
  • specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,246

fluff - can you PM me the info on the San Antonio thing?

• lago

Go PATS!!!

• fluffqueen01

Special K-just sent it

Lago-you're killing me.

• fluffqueen01

Special K-just sent it

Lago-you're killing me. We hate the Patriots in Indy. We are all about cheering for Eli. Plus he is just cute.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,246

fluff - thanks!  I just read the phase II one and it sounds like it is for 1+ and 2+, but not 3+. I read about it on the website for the cooperating company. I am 3+ so maybe could just do the E-75 one.  Tonlee and I should go together!  I will have to send an email to the contact and see what happens.

• Kay_G
    Kay_G Member Posts: 1,914

We hate the pats and the giants here in Philly. But given the choice, I have to say Go Pats!

Congrats special k, pekjug and all others who completed herceptin. I have 7 more txs, not that I'm counting.

Snoops mom, it would be good news to be her2 negative. Hope that's the case for you and you get to avoid chemo. Please come back and let us know how your onco type comes out. Good luck, keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Awnoo, after BMX you will probably not want to get needle sticks in your arm. It carries a risk of lymphedema. There are women on these boards who have gotten it even though only having an SNB. For that reason, I would leave the port in until you're done herceptin. Maybe you could mention lymphedema risk with your onc and BS and see what they say. If you were only having a single mx or a lumpectomy, you'd have one arm you could use without worrying about lymphedema risk.

• lago

Fluff even my birth certificate says "Boston" Don't let the Chicago under my name full you.

GO PATS

• YaYa5
    YaYa5 Member Posts: 532

omaz, YES!!!  today was the last day on the radiation table.  i was very happy when i walked out of that dark, lonely room for the last time.  my skin is sooooo much better.  i was amazed at how quickly it healed when i had a week off.  it's still a little red and there's one open blister, but that's it!

specialK, i'm feeling damned good!!  the radiation never made me horribly tired.  i'm so grateful that both treatments are behind me.  now i'm just worried that my EF dropped from 60-65% to 50-55%. i'm so afraid i won't be able to do herceptin or that i'll have heart damage.  i'm such a worrier!

• fluffqueen01

Well you just send all those Patriot fans to Indy to spend alllll their money. Hope one of them wants to rent my house. We will be nice. The downtown village is really cool. So much going on.

SPecial K....my onc thinks I qualify because it says you have to be highly her2 positive. Here is the criteria, unless I amreading it wrong, along with the link in case I sent the wrong one. http://clinicaltrials.gov/show/NCT00524277

Inclusion criteria:

1. Lymph node-positive breast cancer or high-risk lymph node-negative breast cancer. The latter is defined by any one of the following criteria:

• T2 disease (me)
      • Grade 3 disease (me)
      • Lymphovascular invasion
      • Estrogen receptor- or progesterone receptor-negative disease
      • HER2/neu-expressing tumor (immunohistochemistry [IHC] 3+ and/or amplified fluorescence in situ hybridization [FISH] >2.2, or N0 (i+)) (me)
    2. HER2/neu-expressing tumor (IHC 1-3+ and or positive FISH >1.2)
    3. Completion of primary standard of care breast cancer therapies (i.e., surgery, chemotherapy, immunotherapy and radiation therapy as appropriate per standard of care for patients' specific cancer)
    4. Clinically cancer-free (no evidence of disease)
    5. Patients may be enrolled between 1-6 months from completion of standard primary breast cancer therapies
    6. Good performance status (as defined in Exclusion Criteria)
    7. Capable of informed consent
  • Awnooo

Im a colts fan, part time eli fan... Consequently