Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

TRIPLE POSITIVE GROUP

Options

Comments

• omaz
    omaz Member Posts: 4,218
    Options
    meglove - Go for it!
  • meglove
    meglove Member Posts: 105
    Options

Thanks so much for your encouragement. I will give it a short and let you know how it goes. Love you all. 

• Kay_G
    Kay_G Member Posts: 1,914
    Options

Good luck Meglove! 

• kriskat
    kriskat Member Posts: 116
    Options

Good luck Meglove!! I am also considering a job change-my prospective employer has held this job for me since my dx last yr. I was dx right as I was about to accept offer and for obvious reasons, had to turn down job. So no, just because u have cx, doesn't mean u aren't perfect candidate for job!

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,226
    Options

meglove - sorry you were outed by friends!  My BIL is a pastor in a church in N. Carolina.  He and my SIL asked if they could add me to their prayer list, which I thought was nice.  Shortly after that their church decided to put their newsletter online for members and it shows the prayer list with people's dx next to their name!  Apparently the secretary didn't think this through!  So now if you google my name (as a future employer might) it shows up with BC right next to it!  I was not happy - told them to take the dx off, and warned them they are opening themselves up to trouble (can you say lawsuit?) by publicising this without people's consent.  In church on Sunday they do not mention why people are on the prayer list.  I too say go for it - the person making the hiring decision may not know or be concerned about your dx, may only be interested if you are the best at what you do!

• bucky317
    bucky317 Member Posts: 178
    Options
    Wendy  I too, have 2 lumps,bumps or whatever we want to call themTongue out in my left breast. (right breast was the one with cancer)  One is underneath the mastectomy incision and the other  is near the alloderm. I noticed the one underneath the incision before I had my port placed and my BS assured me it was scar tissue, the other one was felt by my oncologist during my first exam and he also assured me both were scar tissue. The plastic surgeon will take care of the incisional one when I have my nipples done. I guess I will have to get used to the other one. (which I must say, I check ALL the time for changes)  From what I read, scar tissue is quite commonSmile 
  • lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    Options

OMG this is too funny. Remember Star Trek the movie? This one even has a port. Wonder if she too was triple postive or just HER2+ Tongue out

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-lMbG15v-Oyc/Trp27jnPewI/AAAAAAAAGtM/eX1dt6EQLzY/s400/Vger_probe.jpg

And to think you guys laughed at me when I told you to tell people (when the asked) that the port was a communication device to keep in contact with the mother ship.

• dragonfly1
    dragonfly1 Member Posts: 516
    Options

meglove It's certainly unfair to have your diagnosis shared by someone else-it should always be done on your terms. However, don't hesitate on the job. As Lago said, for all you know someone interviewing you may be a survivor as well.

The year before I was diagnosed I was in an intense leadership program in my organization-very rewarding but stressful. The woman running the program is a highly respected power player in our region. I did quite well and had the winning project for my facility-was diagnosed with BC one month later. Anyway, a few months later this woman sent out an email to our "class" suggesting a reunion. I hesitated to reply for a few months because I knew I'd be in chemo and didn't know how I'd feel about seeing everyone again during that time. I finally sent her a personal email explaining my diagnosis/situation and her response was a very supportive and inspirational email telling me that she is a 12.5 year survivor of stage II BC with BMX and lymph node involvement. I would never have guessed and I doubt that many people in our organization know this about her.

If your prospective interviewer is not a survivor, their mother/sister/daughter, etc may be-the understanding is more widespread than we think. I also believe that if BC is the reason you are not hired (of course you won't be told that) it's the wrong place to work anyway. Don't let your diagnosis stop you-just go for it!

• Wendyspet
    Wendyspet Member Posts: 103
    Options

Bucky, and all:

The ultrasound on my 'bumps' showed NOTHING.  It just looked like layers of paper stacked up, not the big, black hole like the original tumor (as if I have any idea what I am looking at)  Anyways, YAY!!!!! 

She said I might have to follow up with my surgeon, but it looked to her like it was just a 'thickening.'

Now I can get back to my obsession -- watching my hair grow!

• NWArtLady
    NWArtLady Member Posts: 239
    Options
    meglove, go for it!  It is none of their business and legally they cannot ask you about it.  Heck, they may not even know about it!!  Assume they do not and go forward as though it is not an issue, because it is  Not. An. Issue.  At least not for them.
  • NWArtLady
    Options
    lago, I love that image!!  When I was explaining my port to a friend in the IT department, I called it my USB port and she said it sounded more like a firewire port!  I'm a Trekkie, so I may have to change my story to fit with the communicating with the Mother Ship story.  I love it!
  • lago
    Options

NWARTLady be sure to double tap the port and say "Yes all fine down here" after you tell them.

• ILBoysMom
    ILBoysMom Member Posts: 25
    Options

Well, I took a leap of faith today and scheduled my port removal for Feb. 15th.  I hope I am doing the right thing, but I think I am ready to move on.  Mine is always bugging me, and periodically is actually painful - so I think it will be a relief to have it gone.  Other than the tamoxifen and all of my new heart meds, after this hopefully this BC will be "in my rear-view mirror" to quote a friend of mine.

• TonLee
    TonLee Member Posts: 1,589
    Options

Woo Hoo IL!!

You're gonna looooove having it out.  Mine pulled and was just generally painful if hit...which I did a lot with weights.

It feels so much better out!!

• meglove
    Options

Thank you all sisters for the encouring words.

dragonfly1, you are right. If they make a decision based on the disease, it is not a good place to go. I am sure the interviewers know about my diagnosis because I still have some connections there. But I will give it a try. We need to feel good about ourselves, but not to get stressed. There was one time when I went to the onc for my herceptin, some patients asked me if I was a nurse there. I am still on a wig but that reminded me I did looked "normal" Cool.

I sent out an email to the friend who spreaded out the word of my diagnosis asking him to keep the fact that I am looking for new position to himself and told him I will apply for the position. He is not only my friend, but also my previous supervisor and one of my references. He sent back emotonal words saying I should ABSOLUTELY apply. Although I am a little upset that he told everyone else about my diagnosis but I know he did not expect that would harm me in any way.

• nmoss1000
    nmoss1000 Member Posts: 324
    Options

Lago, I am LOL at that picture! I guess Klingons get to keep their eyebrows!

SK DH is doing well in Law School, I actually have been traveling for work 4-5 week living out of suitcases & hotels.. 1 more month to go..

• specialk
    Options

nmoss - excellent report on the DH, are you resting enough if you are traveling?

• lago
    Options

nmoss she is either using the Anastasia duo or these temporary eyebrow tattoos:

http://origin.kaboodle.com/hi/img/b/0/0/1b7/e/AAAACxtxWIwAAAAAAbfjdg.jpg?v=1323885340000

• meglove
    Options

lago, the picture looks very funny. In fact, she might just wear a disguise on top of her head too because it is hard to not see any hair stub after being shaved.

• geewhiz
    geewhiz Member Posts: 671
    Options

IL, congrats!!! Its a big milestone to get that thing out!!

On another note, I am on a list to call of women who have used the cold caps to save their hair. About twice a month I get calls from just diagnosed ladies from all around the world asking about using the caps...but it often turns into a bit of a counseling session. We have all been there...know that fear. I always wind up getting so much more out of the calls than the women do....but I am notiicing more and more triple positives. The women seem to be young and otherwise healthy. Weird.

One lady yesterday had 2 tumors, each about 1cm ish. They are doing neoadjuvant chemo then surgery. Then they will make the decision about rads. Her doc said they wouldnt truly know her stage since chemo might change nodal status etc. He does chemo first in all cases of her2.

I would love not knowing my stage. My only concern would be that post surgery, the decision was made to not have rads. I am not a big chemo fan...but rads is another story. I hated them, but did feel I needed to do it.

• slousha
    slousha Member Posts: 181
    Options

Dear geewhiz,

don't worry about stage, I was said it's IIa, later studying about my own, I found I should be IIIa because of more as four nodes, was terrified, but my Onco said I shouldn't be concerned it isn't essentially affecting to the complete proceeding.

Best

• Kelloggs
    Kelloggs Member Posts: 303
    Options

lago - I wish my port was as attractive as hers!

• Wendyspet
    Wendyspet Member Posts: 103
    Options

Geewhiz-- my MO indicated he didn't get many triple positives, and then was surprised that a few weeks later that he had 3 new +++ patients come in after me!! 

• lago
    Options
    Kelloggs LOL   mine is smaller than hers and in a better location. I got a kiddie port because "I'm so small" I kept hearing that everytime I met a new doctor.
  • NWArtLady
    Options

nmoss1000, I kept my lashes and brows throughout chemo so I looked kinda like that picture of the Ilia probe (and I was that thin too - not! :p).  But now that I'm in radiation, I'm losing my lashes and brows but the hair on my head is returning!  Weird!

And dare I say it, I kinda am missing my bald head... I want to see how my hair returns (out of curiosity) but I am contemplating shaving my head in the near future... 

• Kelloggs
    Kelloggs Member Posts: 303
    Options

Lago - mine looks like a damn pill bottle under my skin and the BS put it right where 98% of my bra straps ride on it!  If it were dainty and colorul like hers I could rock it like an accessory! lol

Actually, real question about ports - mine seems to be red and irritated after each treatment for about a week.  I actually went to see my MO after my last tx because it was so angry.  Not infected though.  Anyone else have this problem?

• lago
    Options

Mine takes a bit too heal but since it isn't noticeable under most shirts, not that red though. I only now have it accessed every 3 months I can deal with it. I had a surgeon who pretty much mostly installs ports. It's only in the way of my sports bra. Other bras no problem.

• starella
    starella Member Posts: 101
    Options

Hi, does anyone know the "biomarkers" for breast cancer?

• specialk
    Options

starella -

http://erc.endocrinology-journals.org/content/17/4/R245.abstract

This basically talks about ER/PR/Her2neu, plus tumor markers used in blood tests for circulating cells, Ki67, and some potential for genetics. 

• starella
    starella Member Posts: 101
    Options

Thank you Special K..I am currently looking into a trial at the Univ of San Diego, it is a six month trial that has three arms.  Metformin is being tested.  I tried to cut and paste, but it did not work. The last sentence says they will "test" for biomarkers at the beginning and at the end.  Do our current blood tests include this test for biomarkers? I emailed my onc, but he hasn't replied.  I'm confused, if we are post treatment, will we have these biomarkers?  And if we do why arent we being treated?