TRIPLE POSITIVE GROUP

Comments

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,249

Hi all - home now and resting and taking some Vicodin.  PS did some extensive excavation on the replaced TE side so I do have a drain.  I feel pretty good, can't believe the relief to the neck and shoulder muscles already. I have Mentor smooth, round, HP 600 on the left, 650 on the right. Should be interesting to see how things settle out and how I end up.

• omaz
    omaz Member Posts: 4,218
    Glad to hear that you are home safe and sound SpecialK!! 
  • shore1
    shore1 Member Posts: 591

Thanks for checkin in SpecialK -- thinking about u today and so glad to hear so far so good. Keep us posted & rest up!

• meglove
    meglove Member Posts: 105

SpecialK, hope you feel better soon and things turn out well!

Someone from IBS site posted a link, a little scary for me though, about the connection of health and root canal. Thought I would post it here to have a little survey to see how many sisters here had root canal. I had one, on cancer side, in Aug. 2009 and found I have BC in Aug 2010. Now I am not sure what to do with it. Below are copied from her post.

I just discovered the source of the query that Peggy got about root canals.
    It's an article by Dr. Mercola saying the 97% of all terminal cancer
    patients have had root canals. At one point he very specifically says that
    root canals and subsequent breast tumors on that same side are related.

Here's the link:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/02/18/dangers-of-roo
    t-canaled-teeth.aspx?e_cid=20120218_DNL_art_1

An interesting theory. I wonder how many people who are older (who comprise
    most cancer patients) have had root canals? I wonder how many people who
    have root canals go on to develop some form of cancer, and how long that
    takes to happen?

• dragonfly1
    dragonfly1 Member Posts: 516

Specialk-So glad that all went well and you are home and resting with the help of Vicodin-get plenty of rest...

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,797

I had root canal but BC was on opposite side. I like some of mercolas ideas especially related to healthy eating, etc, but this does sem a little far fetched to me. Although no more so than tall peope being cancer prone. Inwhich case virtuall everyone in my immediate family is doomed as I am the shortest at 5'9.

• specialk

Thanks everyone!

I have had numerous root canals - 2 on each side at the back, although none lately!  I had the first one in high school (long story) and that was ages ago!

• bucky317
    bucky317 Member Posts: 178
    Special K  glad to hear you are home and doing wellSmile!
  • bucky317
    bucky317 Member Posts: 178
    rozem and shore  I thought it was the "orange" baby aspirin that we took as children, but I was wrong. It is the 81 mgs of enteric coated aspirin that my MO has recommended.
  • sunflower71
    sunflower71 Member Posts: 53

I took a mini vacation from Tamoxifen from Thanksgiving-New Years.  I enjoyed a hot flash free Christmas.  I started back up again on January 1st.  I kept waiting for hot flashes, none came.  I also started to feel some "mojo rising" Wink.  I thought that the break helped.  I was wrong.  Everything got better, because I was coming out of chemopause (last period was 12/2010).  Last week my periods returned.  I have been bleeding for 10 days!  I am conflicted about its return.

I was 98% ER +.  I constantly consider an ooph but always reject the idea.  I am 40 years old, I do not want to be in menopause.  I also feel that my tumor was so highly positive due to my own special circumstances.  Three years before my diagnosis I had multiple miscarriages in a two year span and was pumping my body full of fertility drugs.  I think the combo turned on the cancer cells and fed them. 

I feel the amount of choices we have to make about our treatment is overwhelming at times.  Surgery, chemo, rads, hormones, more surgeries...I constantly search for an answer to quiet the pink dragon breathing fire behind me.  I want to believe that I did everything I could to prevent the bitch from returning.  I want to trust my doctors.   But here I am again, on the internet, researching ooph or no ooph?  Do the benefits outweigh the possible risks? 

I apologize for my rant, apparently I am PMSing.

• dancetrancer
    dancetrancer Member Posts: 2,461

fluff, thank you for the explanation - now I understand.  Still have SO much to learn.

specialK - so glad you are doing well and posting so soon.  Yay!

sunflower - I loved the pink dragon bitch imagery!  I am still learning about ooph, etc. - totally relate you your sentiments, and I'm not PMSing, LOL.   

• TonLee
    TonLee Member Posts: 1,589

Sunflower,

I'm PMSing right now too!! lol

Hopefully this will be the last week of my life where I have uncontrollable sugar cravings (Ooph on Friday), emotional angst, etc.  Didn't have ANY of that (maybe some of the sugar, heh) when on chemo.  It was so nice to be sane!  But estrogen feeds my creativity.....so I dread losing it, hope I won't, but well...BC takes and takes doesn't it?

I agree the decision to Ooph or not to Ooph is a personal one.  (Though the literature shows an Oop's definite benefit for reducing recurrence if your periods come back.) I'm 43, but being in meno didn't concern me half as much as feeding any stray cancer in my body. 

My Onc says an "aggressive" calcium/D3 regimen while on an AI helps prevent bone loss...said we'll be very aggressive with supplements and weight bearing exercise.  (Love how he says WE)....

Anyway, good luck...and if you have any questions about the actual Ooph....well, I'll know more after Friday! :)

• meglove

TonLee, Wish you the best on Friday! Please keep us posted.

I got the results for ovary function, Estradiol <70 (normal range 110-2000), FSH 54 (normal range 1.0-35). I am in Canada so the dimension might be different from that in US. Will have it tested again in April. I did not have period since chemo in Dec 2010, then brief one in March 2011, none since then. Will have to take one day at a time to move forward at this moment.

Invasive mucinous + DCIS 3*2.8*2.5cm grade 2, dx Aug. 7, 2010 (38 ys), BMX Oct 18, 2010, 0/1, ER+/Pr+, HER2+ DD AC 4 Tx first on Dec 9th then DD Taxol 4 Tx finished on March 17 2011. Now on Herceptin. Tamoxifen started on April 15 2011

• Kelloggs
    Kelloggs Member Posts: 303

SpecialK - so glad surgery went well and you are home.  Have a restful weekend!

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938

Hello all!  Have a great weekend.  Much love and small SEs

• moonflwr912

I meant to comment on the root canal thing- I won't believe it until I see the stattistics of how many MEN got root canals and BC???

• shore1

Bucky, thanks for baby aspirin info.

TonLee, has your MO told you if you will stay on tamoxifen after your ooph for a certain time before making the switch to an AI? Good luck on friday.

• laolson18
    laolson18 Member Posts: 64

So, my Mom had her Pet Scan yesterday.  They said the doctor will have the results by Monday.  If the results were to be really bad, would she hear about it sooner or would they still wait to have an apt?

• TonLee
    TonLee Member Posts: 1,589

Shore,

He said a "few months after the Ooph we'll switch to an AI."

Probably once I'm healed up and everything is kosher.

Lao,

In my experience if they tell you Monday, then won't call until then no matter what the results may be.  If they're really "bad" they will often ask you to come in to the office so you can get the bad news face to face instead of over the phone.  But all Docs have diff bedside manners.....

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    I agree they have the same procedure not matter what the news. I just got phone calls. I don't consider the news I got good either. Tongue out
  • achpurple
    achpurple Member Posts: 245

I'm with lago on this one - I think that usually they have the same procedure within their office setting no matter what the news.  I had to wait til the appointment every single time.

• laolson18

It is definitely nerve racking!!  I think more so for me than my Mom.

• meglove

For my last two US, I could tell from the tone of the technician who did it.If she said you will get results in a few days, then the results were fine. I found I got bad news sooner.

I think the link meant the general cancer with root canal. Hope it is not true.

• laolson18

Meglove- I am kind of with you.  Usually bad news travels fast.

• NWArtLady
    NWArtLady Member Posts: 239

Glad to hear you are back home and doing well SpecialK!!

As to the root canal/cancer thing, I had bc and have never had a root canal.

My onc is going to put me on Tamoxifen until I am one year out from no menses, then I will be put on Aromatase Inhibitors. I'm 43 (42 when diagnosed) and was sent into chemopause; we'll see what happens.

Have a lovely Saturday afternoon everyone!!

• specialk

Hello all - Thanks for the welcome home! Doing OK - I am an allergic person and am having a reaction to the binder they wrapped me in.  Rash all across the mid section.  I was allowed to shower (I have one drain) with the water hitting me on the back, so afterward put cortisone cream all over and took 2 Benadryl and put my own sports bra on.  I was not comfortable taking Vicodin on top of that, but I am not in much pain.  Also had to start Ciprofloxacin for antibiotic.  I am wildly allergic to Levaquin and there is a chance of cross-reaction with this drug.  I already had the rash so we will see if it gets worse!  I already know PS will not put me on steroids - this happened after the BMX as well, PS said no steroids because he didn't want to compromise healing, but BS overruled and put me on Prednisone.  I have to say - they do not look like bagels or hamburger buns - I am pleasantly surprised and I can't believe how much more comfortable they are than the TE's - instant relief.

I did go off Femara because of the clot risk.  I will go back on probably at the end of the week.  I can tell the difference - not as achy. 

• moonflwr912

Specialk, how wonderful for you. Yay for squishies!

• specialk

Thanks moon!  They are squishy - it is very exciting after 16 months of TE's!

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

Whoo hoo SpecialK. Glad to see you back!

As far as the root canal thing… well if it's true I think I better start digging my grave. I've had 3. 1 in the 80's, another in the 90's and another in 2007 I think (and already had my tumor in 2007 but didn't know it). First should have had a crown but didn't and kept breaking. The other 2 were due to bad dentistry. I have a good one now.I don't believe the link

• shore1

Does anyone take vitamin D and vitamin D3? Do they usually come combined, or are they taken as 2 separate supplements? Im taking 2500 biotin, multi vitamin, and B complex with vitamin C now, and need to add vitamin D and calcium pills to my daily regimine , but am not sure how much of either. MO isn't much help in this regard - she just said no mega doses of anything are necessary. She also just said vitamin D, and didn't say anything about D3. Thanks for any advice on this.