TRIPLE POSITIVE GROUP

Comments

• gasurvivor2011
    gasurvivor2011 Member Posts: 150

I started Metformin a week ago. PCP prescribed it after I shared some recent research info w/ him. I started on lower dose 250 twice a day. I had a little GI discomfort, but started making sure I take w/ food. I am fine now. No side effects the last few days.

My MO didn't bite when I hinted about going on it. I looked into the trial& was open to that. The nearest trial is 90 miles from my house. Now that I am back to work full time not feasible to do that.

I saw my MO this weekend in the community told him I was on the med. I said the PCP felt it wouldn't hurt me. He made a general comment like it might give me nausea and possibly diarrhea. It has not so far. 

I am feeling less bone pain/aches now that Herceptin is done. (finished 3/1).

• YaYa5
    YaYa5 Member Posts: 532

well, sometimes even water gives me diarrhea!  maybe i'm just really sensitive in the GI area.  ha!

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938

Yaya, I have trouble no matter what I eat, so I don't worry about it.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,250

yaya - I was much like you - look at me cross-eyed and I get the Big D.  While having Herceptin only I still had issues and one of the onc nurses suggested taking a probiotic.  I can't tell you what a difference it has made.

DCIS/IDC ON RT, ADH/ALH ON LFT, NS BMX 11/1/10 AND 12/6/10 TCHX6 (2/17/11-6/2/11) Herceptin done 1/19/12
    Diagnosis: 9/27/2010, IDC, 2cm, Stage IIb, Grade 3, 2/14 nodes, ER+/PR+, HER2+

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,797

Thanks everyone....I will let you know what I find out. Now I just keep poking at it all the time trying to decide in my hypochondriac way if it is bigger. Fortunately, I am working all day tomorrow on a real estate agreement and at Macys for a bit, so I will be able to keep from stewing about it all day. I am glad they are adressing it, even if there is additional risk. If it turned out to be something, I would be doing the same thing in four months so maybe this can alleviate a step.

Rozem....I was supposed to do the trial but kicked out due to smallness of my tumor with the other requirements. My pcp prescribed it after I showed them the study. You have to start out slowly and build up. The amount for the trial is 1700 per day. I do 2000, one in the morning and one at night. Diahrea evened out after a while, but for me I had som many issues with constipation after surgery causing big problems, that frankly, the big d was welcome because it allowed time for everything to heal. Lol

• shore1
    shore1 Member Posts: 591

I have been taking vita-acidopilus for a few months now and it has helped my stomach issues a lot.

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    I take acidopilus and nutra flora (probiotic enhancer). When I don't things move slowly. My gastroentinologist recommended the nutra flora.
  • NancyJill
    NancyJill Member Posts: 127

Hi, ladies, I went out-of-town to Great Wolf Lodge with my kids and sister's family. We had fun! I am done with radiation, had a fun birthday, have normal bone density, and am on Herecptin/Tamox now. Thanks to your thread I will ask about aspirin at my next Onc appointment on Tuesday.

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938

I take a probiotic and it really doesn't make Much of a difference. I needed extra fluid and more magnesium today too. *sigh*

• dancetrancer
    dancetrancer Member Posts: 2,461

Moonflower, hope you feel better soon!  

• Kitchenella
    Kitchenella Member Posts: 88

Just reporting that my third TX/HER infusion was uneventful.  I'm tired tonight but nothing unusual.  My girls who are visiting went with me and were very bored.  LOL.  So I'm letting them have a girls night out on the town without me tonight.

Peggy

• Wendyspet
    Wendyspet Member Posts: 103

Rozem - I am on the metformin trial.  The way that onc explained it to me was that it effects the insulin growth factor, rather than just the sugar you eat.  I met the clinical trial nurse, who was involved in the tamoxifen and herceptin trials.  I signed the consent, had my blood drawn, and met with the onc.  I then had to go back within 10 days and have my blood drawn again, and get my medicine.   I take one pill at night with dinner, and then after 4 weeks, increase to 2 pills a day.  (I think I got the placebo--I have had no gastric issues at all, but I've been told that many people don't).

All blood draws have to be fasting because they check your blood sugar.  I go back and see the doctor again in 6 months, and then only every year for 5 years.  The nurse told me that it's possible that if they see a great response after interim reports, that they will just put everyone on it, but I have no idea when interim reports will be. 

• rozem
    rozem Member Posts: 749

fluff  what study did you show your PCP?  my onc didn't bite either when i asked him if i should go on it but didn't fight me on joining the trial. If there is any scientific proof that there is a benefit i would like to just go on it instead of going into the trial and getting the placebo

so what does daily aspirin do?  I can't keep up with all of this!!!!

• dancetrancer

Here's a good summary of 3 recent articles in the Lancet on aspirin:

Daily aspirin could help prevent and treat cancer: The Lancet 

• Hils
    Hils Member Posts: 152

Thanks Dance that is really useful and I have already shared with another friend

Cheers - Hils

• carberry
    carberry Member Posts: 997

Fluff  I just had my lipo, fat grafting,and nipple done.  thankfullly you can have them check it out while you are doing everything else...saves on an extra surgery and you would not have peace of mind unless they check it out.  Good luck to you.....I literally have sm incisions everywhere with little poke holes here and there but it was really a pretty simple surgery. I rested the next day, but went out to dinner the day after that. My PS told me to massage the breast because if the fat dies it becomes a hard lump and just sits there. Will be thinking of you and waiting to hear:)

• rozem

thanks dance so is it one aspirin daily - what dose?  did your onc recommend? 

• dancetrancer

He told me to take a low-dose type (baby aspirin).  We'll see if my tummy can handle it (I have reflux, so we have to watch it carefully).  

• rozem

ok thanks i will ask

between metformin, aspirin and daily tamox i am going to need a new pill box!

• arlenea
    arlenea Member Posts: 1,150

Hi Ladies:  Reading back since I haven't been here in awhile.  Lots of new information here. 

Congrats TonLee, Good Luck Fluff!

The aspirin sounds interesting and guess I should start on it too.

• NWArtLady
    NWArtLady Member Posts: 239
    Hope all goes well tomorrow, Fluff!
  • Kelloggs
    Kelloggs Member Posts: 303

Good luck today Fluff!

• lago

Fluff thinking of you today.

• dechi
    dechi Member Posts: 110

Hi Ladies,

I have a question about the yearly Herceptin and haven't seen an answer anywhere.  I just had my 10th Taxol/Herceptin (yeah!) and I'm curious if anybody knows the specific number of infusions you get after the 12 weekly to complete the year?  Is 10, 12, 15 or what?  Anybody know? 

• bucky317
    bucky317 Member Posts: 178

Thinking of you today FluffSmile

• lago
    Dechi I would think the 12 weekly would be like getting triweekly doses. I assume you would have either 13 or 14 tri weekly left to do.
  • dechi
    dechi Member Posts: 110
    Thanks Lago!  I'm wanted to be done by the end of the calendar year so I don't have to meet another $3K maximum out of pocket!  Laughing  
  • Kitchenella
    Kitchenella Member Posts: 88

dechi  I was told my Her. would be for a year starting from my first dose.

• luckyjnjmom
    luckyjnjmom Member Posts: 114

Arlene,

I know that you , like me, used the cold caps for hair retention. I had a lot of shedding PFC (I'm about 12 weeks out now) and the hair seems to be coming back very slowly - since you're on Herceptin too - I was wondering if you had a similar experience?

thanks,

Lucky

• arlenea
    arlenea Member Posts: 1,150

Hey Lucky:  After the shedding stopped, the hair came back fast and furious.  They stopped my Herceptin at #10 due to the EF drop.  But, I think the darn Arimidex is impacting the growth some, but not a lot.  My onc did say that some folks have slower growing hair due to the Herceptin.

I need to change my profile pic with a new one, with my new short hair.  :)  I"M SO GLAD I USED THE CAPS.

It will all balance out for you, I'm sure.

Arlene