TRIPLE POSITIVE GROUP

Comments

• dancetrancer
    dancetrancer Member Posts: 2,461
    Fluffqueen - you look great!  Smile
  • ashla
    ashla Member Posts: 1,566

Starting rads on Moday...27 plus 7 boosts....Any advice?because I've got big boobs I'm doing the facedown version . Kinda claustrophobic but I made it thru the simulation okay.

I've got my miaderm. They're making a major deal about my bras. I've been wearing my surgical bra for the past few weeks but they don't like the velcro as it can irritate. Did you all get special cotton non underwires? I ordered one ...a size larger around the back....but that's not enough. All the sports bras are synthetic.

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

Wow Fluff look at all that hair! I don't see you not being able to wear short hair. You just need to find the right style (and your bangs might need to get a tad longer or brushed to one side). It takes a bit to learn how to manage this new texture. I found when I finally figured it out (about a year) then my old texture came back Tongue out

TonLee creativity is a muscle. If you don't use it, it can atrophy. Going through this treatment can do it to you. There are creative exercises out there. Maybe give them a try.

http://www.creativestretching.com/ 
    (one of my exercises that I used to give to my students is published in the first book)

• omaz
    omaz Member Posts: 4,218
    ashla - It's important not to have any skin skin contact where the breast hangs down and touches the stomach (if yours do that).  I got a few lightweight long cotton tank tops at target and wore them UNDER my bra.  I wrapped them over and under the breasts then put on the bra.  I also used aloe vera right after the treatment, loved pregressive emu oil, miaderm and aquaphore before bed.  Be sure to put on LOTS and cover every bit of skin that is treated including under your arm.  Good luck!  
  • TonLee
    TonLee Member Posts: 1,589

Ashla,

I followed Omaz's recommendations and believe had a better rads experience for it :)

Thanks Lago...

• ashla

Great advice! I knew I could count on you! I have some lightweight cotton tank tops....

Thank you!

• omaz

I used this bra Glamorise No Bounce in a larger size

• dancetrancer

Ashla, the girls on my rads thread who were larger breasted developed problems under the skin fold where there is more moisture and also b/c of increased fat there I think the radiation tends to concentrate resulting in more damage in that area.  Several found if they bought a cami shelf-type bra and wore it inside out that it kept the skin of the breast from touching the skin of the chest - keeping the area dry helped.  I think some also put cornstarch in that area.  Of course run that by your RO. 

I used calendula with great results.  That I believe is one of the miaderm ingredients.  Moisturize 3 to 4 times a day, if you can.  And start BEFORE rads - preconditioning helps!!!  Good luck - I did GREAT with rads - so much better than expected.   Feel free to ask me any more questions!  

Also, don't wear aluminum antiperspirant or shave that underarm (yucko, I know).  I used Toms of Maine and carried it with me everywhere for reapplication as needed!!!  Of course, check and make sure this is ok with your RO.  I didn't get axilla rads, so I'm not sure if you are even allowed to wear Tom's if you are getting that...

• omaz
    dance - the cotton tank wrapping kept my 'foldover' area fine through rads.  The rad onc was pleased because she was worried about that area.  The tank also protected the area under the arm.
  • ashla

Thx everyone,

Omaz...I just ordered my Glamourize No Bounce online. I had ordered a Bali cotton bra online...both of these bras were in 36 and I usually get 34. I've got my white cotton tanks, my cornstarch and miaderm at the ready.

Forgot to tell you....much to my relief...all 3 rads techs are women! Alot less humiliation for me thankfully.

• pejkug3
    pejkug3 Member Posts: 277
    Ashla - I also followed OMAZ's skin care regimen and my experience wasn't bad until the last week or so.  (I'll spare you the details, I'm sure you're nervous enough!)

I am also very chesty and I picked up some tank tops at Kmart with a built in bra and I wore a zip front cotton sports bra over that if I went out.  Just the tank top, inside out, usually though.  AT night, I wore a men's "wife beater" and slathered all the goop over my skin.  Those were ruined and I threw them out when rads was over.
  • dancetrancer

Oh yeah.  Never wear a nice shirt to rads.  They tend to draw on you with magic markers, and then that ruins your shirt!!!  

• TonLee

Ashla,

Dawn dish washing liquid SAVED my bras and clothes from the aquaphor and emu oil I used.  I didn't stain a single item....

Fill a bucket with warm water and Dawn soap....let your bra, shirt, whatever has goop on it soak over night, the next day you can throw it in the washer.  Worked like a charm for me every time :)

Good luck with rads.  And be prepared to be completely exhausted starting about week 3.  Unless you are one of the fortunate women who isn't getting much radiation and then there seems to be a lot less of an effect!

• lago

I love Dawn dish soap.

• arlenea
    arlenea Member Posts: 1,150

You know, I had 6.5 weeks of rads (like most of us) every day and thought I was going to have the horrible tireds but it never seemed to hit me....guess I'm one of the odd ladies...

• an30
    an30 Member Posts: 3

New member, just turned 30 years old. Core biopsy shows IDC triple positive. Mastectomy in less than 2 weeks. Feeling like a lab rat. I haven't seen so many doctors in my life! So many questions. What is recovery from mastectomy like? Anyone continue to work full time while doing chemo? How was it?

• Hindsfeet
    Hindsfeet Member Posts: 675

an30 ... you might want to check out the surgery thread as it has info from those going through mastectomies. Mastecomy is a major surgery. If I didn't have to have one, I wouldn't. Beesie and Deadre, two members here mostly in early stage and DCIS treads, give the best information on mastectomies vs lumpectomies.

Yes, for awhile you see a lot of doctors. Knowledge is power. Research, Research and Research...ask questions for it is your body, and you are your best advocate. My doctors said that most of their patients don't do their homework or seem knowledgable about cancer...just want the doctor to do it...and they appreciated that I was so proactive in my health.

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,797

An30...eve is right on the research. Do your homework so you can have intelligent conversations with your docs and be part of the decision making process. You are likely looking at some kind of chemo, herceptin for a year, whatever reconstruction you choose, or not,. It is at least three docs...a breast surgeon, a plastic surgeon and your oncologist. A lot of women work during chemo and take some days off here and there as their symptoms designate. And dont be afraid to get more than one opinion. I interviewed two breast surgeons and had 4 oncologists lined up, but stopped at 3, feeling like Imhad the info I needed.

You will need time off for the mastectomy. My recovery was good, but you cant use your arms, lift them over your head, or do amything with any kind of weight for like a month. You will have drains for a period of time, which are inconvenient.

Demand a pain pump to be installed during surgery. It delivers a measured dose of painkiller round the clock, and for me allowed me to give up pain pills 48 hours after surgery. And you dont feel all doped up. It was great. It lasts 4 days and can then be removed. You can do it yourself, but I couldnt bring myself to do that. I went back and had the doc do it.

Sorry you are here, but there is lots of great advice and help.

For all of you who are jealous of the length of my hair, you should know that I finished chemo on June 13, 2011. So it has taken almost a year to get to this length! But thank you for all being nice.

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,797

Oh...and Tonlee....Lago is correct...use it or lose it. I started out my public relations career writing. Got away from it some when I went into working with events, but had to use a different creativity for that, working with parties for sponsors, creatiing special activities, etc. that is how I was given the name I use. I got away from it for awhile when the kids were young and when I went back to it, it took a lot of effort to get it back.

Sometimes you do need to walk away and do something different to jump start it because if you focus on one thing too hard, it is easy to get frustrated. I get my best ideas in the shower and when I am trying to sleep. But it does come back!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,502

an30, welcome to BCO. A good place to start reading about what to expect from your mastectomy surgery is the main Breastcancer.org site. The section on Mastectomy will walk you through every step, right through your at-home care and questions to ask your surgeon.

The Mods

• dancetrancer

Does anyone have the link (to research) on the stat's for how much your recurrence risk is reduced by chemo w/Herceptin and then on top of that by Tamoxifen?  I can of course research it, but I thought perhaps someone here has it bookmarked.  

• lago

dancetrancer that statistic will be different based on your case. Also I don't think Herceptin has been standard care for early BC long enough. (Only 6 years). There of course were studies that allowed it to become standard care though. I would think your onc could lead you to this source and might be able to give you more specific stats for your case.

Let us know what you find out.

• an30
    an30 Member Posts: 3

eve & fluffqueen, Thx, I will check the surgery threads. Research is the only thing that eases my mind. I have learned so much about bc in the last week. I have read articles on mastectomy, just wanted to hear it from someone who actually went through it. The pain pump is a great gem, thank you!

moderators, I will check the mastectomy thread as well. Thx!

• TonLee

Arlene,

You may not have recieved as much rads as other women.  There seems to be a direct correlation between the amount of radiation one receives and the fatigue associated with it.

Personally I had 4 fields with two zaps per field if I remember correctly.  I could literally feel the energy drain from me after the 3rd week....I just slept an hour or two more a night and was fine tho.

• TonLee

Thanks Fluff.  I understand the use or lose philosophy.  I haven't stopped writing, I still do it all the time...but it is much more difficult.

Before BC.... words, vocabulary, were a rushing river above my head.  I could reach out at any minute of the day, pluck some fat fish at will, and articulate my thoughts with appropriate zest.  Since BC, frankly since lack of estrogen, that river is dry.  Now I reach for words like...what it that round thing soup comes in?  Oh yeah, a CAN!  lol

Since words are my medium, and the river is dry, I am attempting to create a man made lake.  It's not as fresh as a river, as brutally clean and thriving, but it seems to have its own unique ecosystem.  

I miss the white water frankly.

But, I'll get over it.

• lago

An30 I know I'm not the norm but I also know I'm not the only one. I never took any pain meds after my BMX with nodes… not even a Tylenol. Never used the pain pump. They removed that the next day I think because I wasn't using it. I was sore but not really in pain. It was the nausea from the general anesthesia that got me. Most people don't get that… but seems everyone in my family does. Actually pain meds make me nauseous too.

I hear you about all the doctors. I was 49 when my journey started but I only saw my PCP, Ophthalmologist and a Gyno. Mammo once a year. Lots of poking, prodding, testing and getting felt up. Sorry no Mardi Gras beads but believe me I did ask.

• Kitchenella
    Kitchenella Member Posts: 88

Re: creative writing.  I loved to write when I was younger and won a Detroit Free Press award when in HS.  Later I had an article published about being a caregiver for my mother. I also had a poem accepted.  I had an idea floating around in my brain for years about writing about our decision to move to Israel to a new community in the West Bank.

Last summer I finally sat down (just to flesh out the first paragraph in order to get me started).  I ended up writing almost all day.  For some reason I never got back to it.  I think it is good but it just kept getting longer and longer and I know I have to end it somewhere.  Now I'm deciding if I should carry it up to my cancer diagnosis.  If I do that I'll have to keep adding to it for the rest of my life.  LOL.

Oh well someday I'll revisit it and start editing it down and maybe it will be finished eventually.

• TonLee

lol Mardi Gras beads!! I'm SO using that next appt!  buwhahaha

• Kitchenella
    Kitchenella Member Posts: 88

My poem.  Might cheer some of you up.:

THE MATCHMAKER

First by color.
    Red, yellow and blue.
    Green, pink and brown,
    I have every hue.

The white ones are piled
    by tube, plain or frilled.
    Before I can blink
    the table is filled.

Here's one alone.
    It seems to be peach.
    I sadly surmise
    it's a red one that's bleached.

Some by the stripe,
    red, blue or black.
    Some by design,
    Adidas and Gap.

A good match pops up
    from out of the muddle.
    I see it has come
    from a large mud puddle.

These two look right,
    the size and the form.
    One looks like new
    but the other is worn.

I find it a battle
    and one I abhor,
    but today I have beaten
    the Odd Sock Drawer!

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,250

kitchenella - I love that!  Especially the sadly surmising about the formerly red one!  I always make my  New Year's resolution to organize or clean one thing a day - that is actually something I can accomplish so that I don't break the resolution and disappoint myself - but often the thing that gets organized again and again is the SOCK DRAWER!