TRIPLE POSITIVE GROUP

Comments

• eileenohio
    eileenohio Member Posts: 268

When I asked about my Oncotype my MO told me that they did not do an Oncotype test for positive Her2. She said that positive Her2 automatically meant a high Oncotype score therefore they do not do one.  Has anyone that is Her2 positive ever had a low Oncotype Test Score?  Now I wonder if I should have insisted that the test be done regardless..                            

• kltb04
    kltb04 Member Posts: 234

Hi guys, this somehow got removed from my favorites but just wanted to chime in and say that I never even asked about an oncotype test so I assume it was never done?  I have copies of all my other tests/scans and I think I would have noticed it.

And I am in favor of margaritas of any type. 

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

They don't give oncotype tests if you are HER2+ because right now they give herceptin with chemo for HER2+. Oncotype tests is expensive. Insurance usually won't pay for an oncotype test if you have already been diagnosed as HER2+.

I never asked for an oncotypte test because of what I stated above.

• bcbarbie10
    bcbarbie10 Member Posts: 148

My SO initially wanted an to do the Oncotype after we got a negative value on the FISH. But the MO just did a repeat HER2 test which turned out +++ again. As Lago said, oncotype is very expensive. MO said it's not worth the expense for reconfirmation.

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,797

My onc said the same. No need to do the test as protocol would be the same.

On the iron front, I don't know a lot. When my stared to slide lower, my onc told me to take an iron pill so I did. Seemed to help my counts, but I never did any research on it.

Jackboo....they started at 8 p.m. Here and went until midnight. I liked it a lot overall. Loved how they showed the industrial era and forged the rings. So cool. Loved the bit with the queen and Bond. Also liked Mr. Bean and the Chariots of Fire. I think my favorite part was when they used up and coming athletes to light the torches and not someone famous. Very meaningful. I did think that with all the visual, it made it tough to televise. It came across as disjointed somewhat, and choppy. If you were there, I bet it wouldnt have seemed that way.

I am sitting here watching them now. I will watch it continually while they are on. I chaired the U.S. Rowing Nationals here in Indianapolis for a couple years, and was involved with the World Championships for Rowing, and Basketball, again in Indianapolis. The event component stays in my blood. Although I am so glad not to be on the inside anymore. As much fun As it is, it is exhausting and hours and hours of work with little sleep. I am sure some of the group from my former employer are in London now holed up with the camera crew televising gymnastics and maybe swimming.

The gymnastics person has three emmys from being part of the team and they always win an Emmy. Pretty cool.

• kltb04

I watched the Olympics pretty much all day here too. My favorite is the gymnastics. And as my 9 year old observed while we were watching the men's teams tonight "man, they are buff!". Lol.

• jackboo09
    jackboo09 Member Posts: 780

Fluff: yes I agree with you about the whole visual aspect/edited clips being overload at times but overall I thought it was fabulous. We just need a medal now! I saw Ryan Lochte win gold in the swimming medley. You have some great athletes. I love watching the rowing and cycling too.

Liz

• arlenea
    arlenea Member Posts: 1,150

Happy Sunday everyone:

Question!  My cousin has been told she has a malignancy...story a bit confusing to me.  She has a lump in her neck and they say there was a cancer there but the body has take care of it and now they are trying to find out where the original malignancy began.  She has a lump in her breast that they haven't biopsied yet which I find so odd.  She had a CT scan of the lungs last week and it was clear and then did a PET scan of the entire body.  Why would they do a CT and then a PET for the same area?  They say there is a malignancy somewhere. 

Even odder is the fact that the lump in her neck is still there and very painful. 

Does any of this make any sense to anyone?

On a positive NOTE (I think), I'm being deported on August 13th.  Rather nervous about that!

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938

Sorry Arlene, I know nothing about that. Can't help you. Have a good day, anyway!

• moonflwr912

Jackboo, I thought the opening ceremonies were cool, I liked the rings, the Queen, and the cauldron, very nice. I have too make sure to record the crew rowing, the USA twins were my nephews roomates at UW Madison.

• omaz
    omaz Member Posts: 4,218
    Arlene - I didn't feel bad after they took out the port - it was much easier than putting it in!  I had it done in the hospital under light sedation.  I woke up as he was stitching up and felt fine.  A little sore.  Some women have it done in the office.  Do you know where you will get the port removed?
  • omaz
    soltantio - Did you just have your put installed?  I was told to look for signs of infection: fever, redness, area is warm to the touch and swelling.
  • omaz
    sol - You go in tomorrow for a check?
  • lago
    Soltantio doctors have someone on call all the time. I would call now. If it's an infection its best to get this sooner. It might be as simple as the doctor calling in a prescription for antibiotics.
  • kltb04

I echo the suggestion to call - my onc answers her after hours calls herself but there will be someone to call you back.  They will probably just call in antibiotics and you won't have to make a trip to ER.

• Msbelle
    Msbelle Member Posts: 160

Call!!! I had to take an antibiotic for mine. It was red and puffy and tender. They just called it in. I took a pic just to have on hand and showed it at my fu appt.

• moonflwr912

Ditto, call the doc. Preferably before you have to call at midnite when it causes a fever. Remember that port leads to your heart. Take care of it!

• omaz
    sol - If you do have an infection I don't know if I would ride over...
  • moonflwr912

Oh, boy, ! We are ALL such MOTHERS! LOL.

• arlenea
    arlenea Member Posts: 1,150

Kayb:  Thanks for the feedback.  That helps!

Omaz:  My deporting will be done in the office.  :)  I'm like Lago in that I worry about it coming out since they can't use the other arm for blood draws but it can't stay in forever and I'm being positive in that I won't need it again.  :)))

Sol:  Agree, infection is NOT something you want to deal with in any way shape or form!

• omaz
    Arlene - when I went into the hospital for the port removal I wore my sleeve/gauntlet and they just let me leave it on the whole time.  they did the blood pressure and IV on the other side.
  • lago

Omaz that's my problem I don't want it in either arm. My other arm had 4 nodes removed and does occasionally get that heavy feeling. I make them take BP on my ankle and IV in my foot. The issue is most places will not do a blood draw from your foot. At least I haven't found one yet.

* Remember we all were hesitant to contact our doctors when things weren't just right. Once we were further into treatment we found that our doctors want us to call when something is off. Better safe than sorry. I'm lucky I didn't find out the hard way.

• omaz
    I remember lago - I didn't know before that they could take BP from the ankle - do you lie down?  I would imagine it would be artificially high if you were sitting in a chair.  What are you thinking about your port removal?
  • omaz
    sol - glad you are ok and had it looked at.  The other shoe may not drop - some women have mild side effects from chemo.  I love my netbook too!
  • lago

I do run high on my ankle but high normal range. It's more accurate than my leg/calf. That sends the machine into freak fits with all the whistles and bells going off. Tongue out

I will admit when my PCP needed to take over my water retention issue I did let him do it manually on my arm. I felt it was important to get a good reading… and I knew he would be as quick and not over compress. I was normal.

Sol I know a gal who had TCH x 6  just like me, same onc and had virtually no SE except at her 2nd infusion and some taste change after tx 6. I never had any nausea either. Still have every pill. Never even opened a bottle. I'm so glad you go yourself looked at.

• moonflwr912

Sol, glad you went and got it taken care of. BTW, if the mo and nurses know you bring yourself in for Things like this, they trust you more if you need to give yourself meds, or take a break, or want to wait before coming in for something like a temp, because they can trust you to do what needs to be done.

• moonflwr912

Also, I still make them take my BP on my calf, and draw without a tourniquet. They usually do it, but I may have to insist.

• lago

So far I still have my port so blood draw not an issue yet. I just go to the chemo room and have them do it. I have had to fight with scans getting the IV in my foot. I tell them ahead of time but still have to fight. Basically tell them if they are not going to access my foot I'm leaving. So far it works.

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,797

Soltanio, that was how I was with the nausea....mostly queasiness. Take the pill. Don't tough it out. Try to keep yourself feeling as good as possible. I think it helps mentally.

• lago

Saltantio I agree take the pill. I didn't tough it out because… I really had no nausea. Granted I really could have used those drugs in my IV when I had the BMX. The anesthesia gave me nausea. Go figure. You won't be on all these drugs forever. This is only temporary. There is no need to suffer.

I do hear some women with cold caps still lose some hair. You really need to follow the directions and keep your head really cold. I didn't do the caps but no regrets. Mine all grew back.