TRIPLE POSITIVE GROUP

Comments

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938

Keep taking th meds if you feel nauseous. On the other hand, you can NOT take it and see what happens. I would NOT reccommend that, though. Wanna ask me what it felt like? Puking on one end,.other stuff happening on the other to ending up in the hospital in renal failure from dehydration? Don't want to scare you, but that was personal experience. Much love

• jackboo09
    jackboo09 Member Posts: 780

Not slept much. Pain in my treated breast. Surgery- March 2011.Rads Oct 2011. Could it be healing pain still. I started a light period 3 days ago so perhaps its that. Pain was my first symptom of Bc so im understandably nervous.

Im seeing my BS on Wed to discuss a reduction on other breast. Will ask him. Always something to worry about....

Liz

Oh and I also wondered if working out may have caused it. My sports bra is rather ancient!!!

• arlenea
    arlenea Member Posts: 1,150

JackBoo:  My treated breast continually hurts.  My onc says the radiation does a number of the breast and says it could never quit hurting.  Hoping it is just something simple like the working out.  Good thing you are seeing your doctor this week.  Keep us posted!

• arlenea

Omaz:  Re the port and blood draws.  I'm not concerned with the actual port removal (if they put me under) but once it is gone, that is the only arm they can use for draws and should something (unlikely) happen to the veins in that arm, they'd have to find another location since they can't (shouldn't) use the other arm.

I talked to my friend in AZ this weekend and the PA at Mayo took hers out and she said it was a cinch.

Arlene

• omaz
    omaz Member Posts: 4,218
    Arlene - I understand and am in the same spot. Do you have delicate veins? 
  • arlenea

Omaz:  Actually, I've got really good veins and the blood banks love me.  A lot of folks asked me why I even got the port but I didn't want my veins ruined with the chemo.  They could easily take blood from me without pumping up the vein.

• omaz

Arlene - me too.  They are always happy with my veins.    Can we give blood after having cancer?

• arlenea

Good question Omaz.  I don't think I ever asked...guess I should.

• omaz
    Arlene - To be honest keeping the port in made me nervous.  I was always worried about an infection or clot or malfunction.  Even though it worked like a champ and I was absolutely so happy to have it during chemo/herceptin I got it out the same week as my last herceptin (with docs ok of course).
  • mnewman29
    mnewman29 Member Posts: 4

TonLee, I'm new to the group and just started reading all the posts this morning.  I'm 2.5 years out and wondering how everyone is doing now.  The HER2+ thing scares me and just needed some reassurance today, as I'm no being bery positive myself.  

• omaz
    Welcome Melissa!
  • kltb04
    kltb04 Member Posts: 234

Hi Melissa - I am smack in the middle of treatment so I have no assurances, just a welcome.

• omaz
    Melissa - You are farther along than I am - I just made my 2 year mark since surgery.  I have all my checkups coming, starting with the breast surgeon today.  As far as tests go they are doing mammos every 6 months.  How about you?
  • specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,252

As a blood banker I would encourage anyone who has had a cancer diagnosis not to donate blood, even if your local donation organization says you can.  Since we don't know if there are cancer cells in our bloodstream at any point post-treatment, I could not donate blood in good concience for use in a sick, immune-compromised, frail, critically injured or elderly patient.  That is who gets a transfusion!  Think about the ladies on these boards who have been transfused - would you want them to be receiving blood from a cancer patient?  Would you want your child or grandchild to receive blood from a cancer patient? There are other way to contribute to your local blood banks - volunteer or give money, but not your blood.

• omaz
    Hi SpecialK!!  How is your summer going?
  • AlaskaAngel
    AlaskaAngel Member Posts: 694

I agree, SpecialK. I live in a place where it can take time to refresh the blood supplies if there is a disaster, but I avoid donating unless there just isn't an alternative and the need is clear.

Over time many cancer patients have asked about donating, and there doesn't seem to be a national recommendation about it from a reputable source, so there have been varying answers to that question posted depending upon where one lives.

It may be harmless if donating our cells somehow cannot replicate the cancer in another human being (due to the differing genetics or other differences in our characteristics), but I've never seen anything documented to verify that possibility.

A.A.

• arlenea

Welcome Melissa.  I'm not even 2 years post surgery.  My surgery was March 1, 2011.  I go every 3 months for bloodwork and breast checkups.  Every 6 months for mammo/ultrasounds but I think they now decided that would be every year.

SpecialK:  Thanks for the information.  I didn't plan on donating but was just curious.  I thought they cleansed the blood though but really don't know much about what happens once it leaves our veins.  :)

Omaz:  I agree about the port.  Plus the every month flushing grows old too and the darn thing is in the way - when driving, I can't even wear my seatbelt properly because it hits right on the port.  I feel it when jogging, etc.  It is time!  :)

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,252

Arlene - Donated blood goes through an intensive screening process for disease (HIV, hepatitis, Chagas, etc.) but blood is not routinely "washed" because it converts that product into one that needs to be used within 24 hours, which is prohibitively expensive and not practical.  Washed cells are only used for someone who has such a severe antibody or sensitivity situation that they cannot tolerate regularly leuko-reduced units of blood.  It is used in a very limited way, and very seldomly.  There is no testing process that detects cancer cells in donated units at this time, that is why I would not donate.  Tissue typing banks, used for transplants, prohibit cancer patients from donating organs and there are documented cases of transplant recipients developing cancer from their donated organs, but do allow corneas and skin from cancer patients, I believe.  I have kept the donor designation on my license because I know they will screen my medical history.

AA - living in a remote location reframes the situation somewhat, particularly because there is not a prohibition on donating blood.  I am sensitized against it because I have seen the condition of the patients and my worry would be about doing more harm than good, but a drastic shortage or mass casualty situation is always a game-changer.

omaz - Hi!  My summer is going well.  I am traveling every month to Washington, DC to participate in a Her2+ vaccine trial.  It has been nice because I have been able to see many old friends (because I am staying in their guest rooms, lol!) and also see my son who lives up there.  Tampa has been beastly hot but I have been walking 4 miles a day and have recently changed what I am eating so am finally back to pre-chemo weight, yay!  Doing the Livestrong program at the YMCA and living my life!  How are you and what have you been up to?

• jackboo09
    jackboo09 Member Posts: 780

Arlene

Thank you for responding. The breast pain has eased a little.Glad I just happen to have an appointment on wed with my BS. By the way do you have faith in mammograms? My last one was March 13th but I cant say I feel hugely reassured by the clear result. The scan did show some surgery scarring too. 

An early night for me. Its not been the most enjoyable of days. Moan moan... Sorry guys.....

Liz

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

Hi Melissa Time for a seat belt lecture. We get into our car and drive away never thinking "I might get into an accident." We take proper precautions with seat belts and driving safe. Even still some asshole could slam into us. But we don't assume this will happen. Same with breast cancer.  You've been treated and deemed NED. You take your estrogen sucking drug or Tamox, exercise, eat properly etc.… basically your seat belts and safe driving for keeping the breast cancer away. While we never know when the asshole or recurrence may happen the chances are that the asshole probability is much higher… yet we don't think about that!

Live your life and stop worrying about the "What Ifs" Surviving is all about living.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the American Cancer Society's explanation of who can and can't give blood and why: linky   Looks like it's OK

• Msbelle
    Msbelle Member Posts: 160

Lago I know you have posted that before. You probably need to do it monthly. Great analogy and reminder. Thanks!!

• moonflwr912

Stopped in for dinner at, ready, wait for it, Cheesecake factory! LOL ate something not good for me, it was wonderful. But I only had a slice of bread for breakfast, and a cappicino at 2 . So i'll survive . I was late for pt, so I just grabbed the toast, ran errands and before I knew it it was 4 pm ad I was hungry. you know, I dot even feel guilty.

• moonflwr912

Ps, for some reason, the "n" doesn't work well today, LOL

• cindy68
    cindy68 Member Posts: 24

oh man, the 6th chemo treatment has sent me in a tail spin.  6/6 on Friday with TC.  Dr. said it would be the worse.  Went to bed last night nauseated, woke up nauseated.  I have been taking the nausea meds and that has helped.  Just trying to stay hydrated.  I know this will pass too.  I also took the leap and completed my FMLA papers to be off work a couple of weeks to allow myself to heal.  I think i deserve it after 6 rounds of chemo and working 40 plus hours.  No hair, eyelashes falling out, eyebrows thinning etc. Needless to say the energy level is way down and the blood counts down.  Well, ladies you know the story.  You have all been through it.  I just didn't think number 6 would be this bad!!

• moonflwr912

Cindy, it hits everyone differently. I am glad you took some time off, it is surprising just how long it is to heal. Let yourself heal. Much love

• omaz
    Congratulations cindy!!
  • lago

Cindy… your done, kinda. I mean every one cheers when the last one is done but of course you need to go through the cycle… it's almost over. After 3 weeks it's all uphill. Week 5 PFC was when I really noticed it because I was so stiff. For some reason at week 5 the stiffness started to go away. I never thought it would but it does.

I celebrated my 50th birthday 2 weeks PFC. I felt like crap still. My GI issues were still an issue and silly me order seafood fettuccine Alfredo. 

• omaz
    Cindy and lago - my drivers license photo is 3 weeks post chemo.  It  is not very good.  I have a dusting of hair but my face is still puffy and tired.
  • lago

Get a new picuture in a year when your hair comes back

• omaz
    lago - I meant that in the picture I have a dusting of hair.  It was taken over 1.5 years ago.  I do need to get a new picture though, I just hate waiting.  Our DMV is organized but slow.