Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

After Radiation

Options

Comments

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545
    Options

Beans - We could all give in to BC and signficantly change our lifestyles. Change cosmetics, no beef, no diary, no sugar, etc, but what guarantees are there if we do this?  Does it lower our risk of recurrence that much?  I don't know.  All I know is I am happy with the way things are - continuing on the same path I have all my life with one less thing to stress about.  Like I said before, I will use whatever ends up in the grocery basket.  Now remember that is just me......   For those of you who have gotten rid of the chemicals, etc. that is great news.

• FireKracker
    FireKracker Member Posts: 5,858
    Options

Beanius----thank you for giving me this info....the good news is its probably temporary.yay.

im not gonna preach the holistic approach...im not doin it all.in fact im only doin a drop really but to me i have to start somewhere.i did all the wrong things.ate NO veggies,no vitamins,cake for breakfast,no mammos,no self exams i could go on and on.its a wonder i didnt get bc or any other cancer before 69 yrs old.and no meds.gotta start somewhere.end of rant.no not yet.smoked for over 50 yrs.not a lot and never when pregnant and still smoke 2-3 a day.CHANGES ARE BEING MADE...luv you gals.

chevy-where are you?

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    Options

Hey you fun gals! Yes, Jo! I have to help Kantalope get dressed, and that ain't easy! And she doesn't know what good food is, either, ha! She probably eats things like grits & mush, and fried liver......

BEANS!!!! I also wear bra's that hook in the front, even hooks on the shoulders....just like a custom car, ha! And they sort of make your boobs look like a uni-boob....all together like that, but they are really comfortable. I even wore them right after surgery, to hold everything in place, like the MammoSite tubes, and all the bandages!

This is weird! I also had a broken front tooth when I was a teenager, but they sort of just glued a piece of something on it, that never matched! So that's why my new teeth are the bomb! I just love them! Okay, this is where you are supposed to say "hubba-hubba"....

Beans, it's hard to say what your rash is from....are you taking a new type of vitamin like magnesium, or drinking a different kind of tea, or some kind of diet stuff? If they send you to an Allergist, it will cost you an arm and a leg and maybe a foot, and they WON'T be able to tell you what it is. I remember you talking about this on another thread... My rash was "Stasis-dermatitis" caused from poor circulation down in my ankle, and water would "pool" under my skin, or whatever the hell they said..... BUT it has totally gone! I have heard that your system changes every 7 years... Have you heard that, or am I just hearing things? But ask your doctor for a prescription for "fluocinonide cream"..... that really helped me!

And Jo....I always have used the same old stuff that I have always used. Mostly I make my own creams for my face, & legs, and mystery rashes. I put things like Tea tree oil, Neem oil, glycerin, shea butter, & mix it with Vaseline, cocoa butter, coconut oil or butter, & some other stuff. I read the ingredients on "natural" creams, then did my own. So if I ever saw a paraben, I probably wouldn't know what it was.

Kantalope, if I was 5 ft, and weighed 119 pounds, I would swear I died and went to heaven! Are you kidding me? That is PERFECT, girl! Course you probably look silly with one tooth, but you can always wear a sack over your head! (JUST kidding!)

And who reads labels? So that means I can't grease with Mentholatum? Or use it with my humidifier? And no beef or dairy? No WONDER you only weigh 13 pounds! I just had a hot-dog from Costco...with onions & relish. JO! Love those Tacos! Ha! Sorry this post is so long, but I just had to straighten Kantalope up on a few things..... Actually I love you gals so much! xoxoxoxoxo

• FireKracker
    Options

ok chevy-your dead.eating that frank and teasing all these wonderful ladies with the worst food in the world.

DID ANYONE CHANGE THEIR DIET?????? EVEN A LITTLE BIT????

I did.i drink almond milk,about 3-5 fruits a day,a spoon of coconut oil daily for my stomach issues,eat daily licorice.cut out about 75% of sugar.and i dont eat grits,mush or fried liver.im tryin.anyone else?????

• lestwin
    lestwin Member Posts: 20
    Options

OK, I'm another ex rads girl with no lasting effects from treatment.  Only thing I got was bad burns, and I mean BAD.  They cleared up a week after I finished the last treatment.  I never got fatigued either!  I'm one of your senior members and also have ET. PVC, (a very rare form of leukemia for the last 6 years) and have started on Arimidex with, so far, little side effects.  Saw the MO this morning and my platelet count is back below normal (still have to take the yucky medicine for the rest of my life as there is no cure) but he gave me a prescription of anti-nausea meds as I get it slightly (won't fill unless I get really sick).  I told him I have started to feel a little tired for the last week and he said probably the Arimidex but I'm not sure as I have been busy every day cleaning out closets, etc. getting ready for my twin sister to visit from Europe in June.

Since I finished treatment (rads) I have not had too much to say but I read the posts every day so keep up the good work ladies................you are all so helpful.

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548
    Options

GD, I changed my diet too. I eat organic 90% of the time. I eat only grass fed hormone free beef and organic chicken. I try to eat fresh veggies and fruit 3/4 x/day.

So the article says that big breasted women get edema. Well, I am a D on a 5'2" 108 frame. Monday is the LE therapist appointment. Hope she can help. Thanks for the article Beans.

Chevy, having uncured hotdogs and mac and cheese for dinner. Thanks for getting the taste buds primed.

• FireKracker
    Options

Oh Lestwin--I do remember how badly you burned.Im soooo happy to hear the good news that your on the other side of the fence.stay there.You are not the only senior gal here sooooo hang around and keep us posted.Enjoy your sistas visit.

Any more sistas who have no S/E from the rads?????nice to know there are 2 so far...YAY.

chevy---you dont count--you lost your hearing from the tamox.....we only have 2 gals wearing the crown....hats off to you ladies.huggggggggs k

• jo1955
    Options

Chevy - Heck no!  I did not change my diet and that hot dog looks wonderful.  Dont know how I do it but I did not gain a pound on the cruise and I eat crap all the time.  I am 5'7" and weigh 138 lbs.  Been that weight for several years now.  Went from wearing a size 12 (pretty tight) down to a size 4.

Granny - If Chevyboy offered me that hot dog, I would eat every bite of it in front of you even with your front tooth missing.  So there!!!!!!

Having hamburger steak (cooked on a George Foreman), cottage cheese, tomatoes and cucumbers for dinner. 

• FireKracker
    Options

JO JO---if chevy offered me a bite of that hot dog i would love to eat it BUT i would spend the week in the emergency room with them pumping my stomach...the pain would last forever.But ive conditioned myself to ignore it.i love love love chocolate(dar) yea i know its good for you but not by the barrels like i want to do....I HAVE LEARNED HOW TO BE FOOD DEPRIVED...so the alternative is eat kinda healthy.My friend is a 26 yr.cancer survivor and she always tells me you dont have to like it just eat it.im tryin.

chevy--at least jo is eating kinda healthy.right??????

• FireKracker
    Options

Hey Barb to the rescue---was wondering where you were.i know you are one of the better eaters...perhaps you can bring some good advice to this thread where chevy keeps bringing all this junk.Ladies---help has arived.I know monday is your day for the PT...please keep us posted.Beanius has lots of info on the lymphedema and edema.we can do this.are you doin anything now?? i was doin stretches all along and she said that helped my range of motion.Im prayin for you sista...huggggggggggggs K

• duckyb1
    duckyb1 Member Posts: 9,646
    Options

Hi Ladies.................this is what they told me.........all 3 BS, RO, MO..........no BP taken on the side of surgery, no blood draws, wear gloves if I garden, no cuts, bruises, no lifting more then 5 lbs, and don't do that if someone else can do it..........don't us too hot a water when showering, especially on the side of surgery, use gloves to do dishes, or..don't use hot water if you don't wear them................no repetitive motions ...like dusting, with that arm, scrubbing, widows, not with the side of surgery..............I had 8 nodes removed........for those friggin 8 nodes, I have all that bull--it to deal with......some will tell you they have no restriction other then BP, and blood draw.........maybe my guys are too anal, not sure........but they repeat it everytime I go.

• FireKracker
    Options
    yeah ducky--i was told the same bullshit-i had SN plus 6 more nodes removed and also every dr.reads the riot act to me.Damn we may as well not use the arm at all.im left handed and thats where i had all the nodes removed.well that just suks,along with everything else.and what about bug bites????are we supposed to wear long sleeves in the summer????the bugs love my blood.shit.did we cover everything that happens after RADS YET??????
  • Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    Options

Well, I don't think I have been doing it right.....  I just figured since they did the lumpectomy, and the radiation, and I'm doing good, that I am done.  ..... I had 3 clear nodes removed...but I haven't had any problems...just the seroma, that is getting better!  NO!!!! I MEAN IT IS GONE!!! I haven't been paying attention to it, so it left...ha!   I just now noticed!

Ducky, I DO work in the gardens all the time...and I know I should wear gloves....It sounds like your "team" is really taking care of you!  I'm going next month, to talk to my Radiologist....so I have a lot of questions to ask her.....

Yes, Barb....I know you eat good also, & have helped me with choices concerning vitamins and supplements....Do you take yours at Breakfast?  I notice if I take them after lunch, I can get heart-burn around dinner time!   I'm taking a LOT, but I'm hoping that takes the place of Tamoxifen.   I think the hot-dogs were cured....Wink

Little kantalope!  Yes, I DO count!  Tongue out  You didn't say what kind of "RADS"....did you?  Nope!  So the MammoSite counts too!  I am an EX-Tamoxiperson!.....I don't know how much more deaf I could get....so I quit it!   

Jo!  You gals are all just teensy girls!  I don't think you have grown up yet!   I read this somewhere...."When I grow up, I want to be an old woman!".....When you THINK about it, it makes so much sense!    So many younger women have been hit so hard with cancer...and here I am....like an "old woman"....... And I am honored to be in your presence! 

Anyway Jo....that was funny about you eating that hot dog in front of snaggle-tooth....Ha, ha!  Okay...this is dinner!  xoxoxoxo

Okay....now I'll make you ALL happy! 

• FireKracker
    Options

Chevy---you know i love you BUT YOU WORK IN THE GARDEN WITHOUT GLOVES?????are you kidding me????and you had nodes removed.shame on you sista.gotch.

you want to know about my rads i did great for 70 yrs old.very little fatigue.NO BURN which is very unusual for large kantalopes.its after the rads that everything went down.

someone told me that the rads were worst then the chemo for her.well that suks.

chevy im glad your thingy went away.and i too am honered to be with this geat group of people who came along to see if we could give them information.thanks to all of you that happened.i hope the next group that finishes comes to join us adn perhaps we can exchange info with them.knowledge is power.THANKS SISTAS.I LOVE YOU.hugggggs Kantalope

• duckyb1
    Options

hey Grannydukes.............Forgot about the damn bug bites.........yea......they told me about that too.......I have a home down the shore, and inground pool which we spend a lot of time at, and in,,,,,,,,,,oh yea, and did I mention ..........'BUGS'  It's friggin New Jersey for heavens sake........Jersey is known for their bugs..............The saying is "you don't like bugs, then don't come to Jersey, south Jersey anyway.............Oh and did I mention "stay out of the sun".  Ok.................did I hear "Mummy".........WTF are we suppose to do......and this isn't just till the surgery heals, or Rads are done, or Chemo is over,....................this is forever Baby.......oh well I guess if you want to avoid all the "shi-" that goes along with this disease you just ok I'm gonna say it again "PUT ON YOUR ;FRIGGIN BIG GIRL PANTIES"     YAHOO.

• jo1955
    Options

ducky - That is interesting about all the restrictions.  No one told me about any of that stuff.  I learned about the blood pressure and blood draws on this website so I do that.  Keep everything on the right side.  My surgery and node removal was on the left side and from the time I healed I have been doing things the same way as before surgery. I did have a couple of seromas which had to be drained and now all is well.   I did spend time in a bathing suit while on a cruise ship last week and even went snorkeling.  Used sunscreen - but would have done that anyway.  Why the restrictions with garden gloves?  I don't wear them.  So what if my hands get dirty - they can be washed.

Guess I am like Chevyboy and thought I was doing everything right.  Once surgery and rads were over, I went back to doing things the way I used to.  So far I have not had any problems.

Don't be fooled ladies.  I do eat healthy sometimes.  I do like the junk food though.  It is quick and easy when I come home from work and I am really tired.  My DH is not much of a salad eater and I could eat those alot. So, if I really want one, I make him something else - yes, he is spoiled after 37 years.

I would like to dig into this about now.

• duckyb1
    Options

Jo 1955..............in case you cut yoursefl on something in the dirt, or if you have an open sore, because of the dirt............mostly I believe for any cuts you could get.....

• lee7
    lee7 Member Posts: 204
    Options

Hey, I can finally post here now, as long as you'll all let me. :)  I have officially finished my rads and am now trying to forget that scary machine. 

I'm hoping my skin will heal up ok.I know I'm going to have to keep my skin covered. I had rads up to my neck and have that spot on my back shoulder so I guess no more tank tops for me.  

I also changed my diet, though I can't seem to give up meat. My local grocery store offers "greenwise" foods and so I try to buy meat and chicken that doesn't have any hormones added to it. I'm also eating more veggies and salads.

I am so appreciative of all the helpful info on this site...you ladies are the best!

• FireKracker
    Options

Welcome Lee-you are a pleasure to have.doin the right things to make yourself all better.good for you....glad to have you

Ducky---did you say jersey bugs??????i forgot the old saying in pa.all those giant bugs were always called jersey bugs.guess where i retired to?????Old Bridge NJ.damn ill be indoors all summer long.thanks for reminding me.

• jo1955
    Options

Welcome Lee - You have found a wonderful, supportive group of ladies.  Watch out though, they can get crazy from time to time. You especially have to watch that grannydukes.  LOL

Ducky - I do appreciate the information.  Like I said in my post, no one of my doctors mentioned any of the things you were talking about.  Thank goodness for BCO and especially threads like this one.  We are our best source of information.  I always am fascinated at how much doctors differ in their opinions and the way they do things. 

• FireKracker
    Options

Jo are you sayin no one told you the bare essentials.no BP.IV or blood tests?????the first jerk dr.didnt tell me either.my internist told it to me.right from the beg.most of the time I REALLY DO HATE THOSE WHITE COATS.

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    Options

Boy you guys have been one active group this afternoon.

Lee-welcome, if you have any questions just ask I am sure someone can help out around here.

I went for my 3 month post rads follow up today.  He told me to continue my celebrex for my swelling as I need it.  It is so much better just doing icepacs in the evening as I need it.  Have not done it in 4 days.  We talked about my nerve damage that the BS is treating.  He wanted to know if she thought it was from rads, but honestly she said it was from surgery the SNB site.  But I think rads agravated it.  But the meds she gave me are working so he was glad to hear that.  He said it is very rare to have nerve damage from rads but it does happen.  Also because I exercise alot and do yoga I hve noticed that my muscle that goes from the shoulder down behind the breast is very tight when I get into certain positions.  He said that is from rads and will take 2-3 years to go away.  He said stretch several times a day and he gave me an exercise that I can do along with all my yoga stuff.  He said that rads really irritates the muscles, but if you are not an active person you may not even notice it.  With everyday stuff I do not notice it just when I am doing my yoga and certain arm positions.  I also have a rib that is sore and he said that is also from rads and it will probably come and go for a little while.  Does not hurt to breath just a little sore so it is not broken.  Otherwise he said I was doing great and I do not have to go back and see him anymore unless I feel the need and can call them. Woohooooooooooooooo!!! I like one less Dr to have to go see, even though he was my cute one with nice muscles.  In the scheme of things my aches and pains from rads are pretty minor at this point.  Just have to deal with my nerve damage from surgery.  And he was thoughtfull enough to ask how my Dad was doing so I gave him the update on that and he told me he would pray for him. 

Oh and Jo knows about my RO nurse and how she has blown me off.  Well today she was sweet as pie and as she was visiting with me and updating everything she said oh I remember how miserable you were there for a while, you had a really hard time. duhhhhhhhhh I was raw like hamburger meat. oh well at least she was nice and attentive to me today.

• jo1955
    Options

granny - No a thing about anything.  LIke I said I learned about the blood draws and blood pressure on one of these threads.  Otherwise, I have been doing everything just like before my BC days.  Honestly, that is what has helped me heal emotionally - knowing I could resume my routine activities and not have to be treated with kid gloves.

• FireKracker
    Options

well JO i thought i would go back to my everyday stuff too.that was one of the big reasons i didnt want the meds....BUT it seems like im goin backwards.first i thought it was lymphedema,then it became edema.now the shingle shot tomorrow.then fix that broken tooth.what happened to the life i was planning????????

just thinking out loud now.AFTER THE RADS. gosh i was talking about the creams and soaps and stuff now the rest of the crap comes rearing up its ugly head and scaring the crap out of us...this is after rads.we were supposed to be done...DUH.

Sherry----glad you took a step forward.keep gon girl.we will all be walkin with you soon..that nurse was a bi%&#tch.i remember how she treated you.throw her into Jos bonefire if you didnt already.she still stinks as far as people skills.

yea we were busy today.thats because im home drivin everyone nuts.took the day off to do just that.HEY CHEVY...COME ON LETS HAVE A PILLOW FIGHT.HA

• jo1955
    Options

Granny - Just about every Friday night we have a pillow fight on the Bottle O' Tamoxifen thread.  Sometimes we bring some "toys" to play with.  Drinks are usually served and some occasional food.  Hey!  Dont't look now - WHACK! WHACK!  Gotcha with my pillow.

I even brought enough for everyone.

• FireKracker
    Options

hey Jo---thats soooo cool.where the hell is chevy...i need her now to hit her over the head.i still cannot believe she gardens without gloves.and when she says she gardens i mean i saw pics.she gardens.just save me a pillow for her.will ya?

hey maybe if you wack me on that cryin boob it will stop cryin....come on try it...ill try anything just once...go go go...easy does it.....ahhhhhhhhh im massaging it now.it feels better already.

who is in this fight anyway????????role call.....

• jo1955
    Options

Granny - I must be as crazy as Chevy - I always garden without gloves.  I hate gloves.  I like getting my hands dirty.

DON'T LOOK NOW - WHACK WHACK WHACK.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. 

• FireKracker
    Options

JO JO she knew better YOU didnt.BUT now you do so STOP IT.....get yourself a pair of damn gloves and wear them...wack wack wack back to you for the gloves.and no im not sorry....when you get the gloves ill say im sorry..ok?

• duckyb1
    Options

Ok ladies I hope I didn't scare the hell out of all of your, but that is all of what I was told, and when I said "ok, and for how long do I have to do all this stuff"..................the answer that I got was "forever"........A huge reason is to avoid lymphedema if you had nodes removed.......and you can get that shit according to what I was also told, way after your surgery..........My arm right now on the surgery side is swollen............just a little swollen, but my RO saw it the other day, and I already have an appt. with a lymph. spec. on Momday right after Rads............She will evaluate my arm, and I will take it from there...............Like i need this shit............Just call me Flipper.........Hope it stops raining, I don't want to be tempted by the puddles.....Hey maybe I can swim to Rads and save on the high cost of gas................No that's right I need Lymph. in both arms otherwise I'll swim in circles................

Ok, and for all you ladies with your hands in the dirt, get out of there. whack, whack, whack, and I used my big tempurpedic pillow........how did that feel..........hahahahhahahahha

• jo1955
    Options

Granny - I promise I will get some gloves this weekend if you will stop hitting me.  My head is spinning and I can't see straight.  I really did not know - but now I have been informed.

Ducky - This is all your fault - WHACK WHACK

GRANNY - You can stop laughing now - WHACK WHACK.