Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

After Radiation

Options

Comments

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545
    Options

Sorry everyone - I had fun but .....

• duckyb1
    duckyb1 Member Posts: 9,646
    Options

Well hows that for ungrateful..............enough I say.............whack, whack, how did that feel

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    Options

You guys, I woke up so sore!  I can't figure out what HAPPENED last night!  Do any of you rabble-rousers have a clue?  See?  I go to bed, like any normal girl who needs her beauty sleep, & I wake up all covered in bruises and feathers!   Hmmmmm.......WinkYell

And Flipper!  I saw you swimming in circles last night!!!!! Anyway, about lymphedema, I kind of remember that..... that it can come anytime!  I guess  I am really lucky...and yes, I'm like Jo...just feeling good & carrying on like I used to! 

Now dag-nabbit Kantalope!  You're ilk is going to scare any nice quiet new gals that drop by here...I mean like Lee 7!  Yes girl, don't pay any attention to us, because we sometimes get off track.....and then we need to slap each other around a litle... !  When YOU say you thought you could go back to "normal," that means getting on that pole again?  And playing poker with the boys all hours of the night?   I'm going to TELL!!!!!  (who can I tell?.....)  I remember my Brother & I tattling to Mom about stuff the other one did....! 

So Okay OKAY!!!!  I'll start wearing my garden gloves!!  I did sometimes, like when I'm laying asphalt in between the flag-stone pieces, and even when I color my hair!  Did you gals fall over yet?  YES, I STILL COLOR MY HAIR!!!  EVEN put red in it this time!  And NO, I'm not the one on the pole!  That's Kantalope!   I know it's all good advice...so I'll behave!

Lestwin!  Are you still here?  Don't let us scare you.... You know, I just gotta say, this thread, little Kantalope is so much FUN!!!    To think that we all had cancer, and can talk about it, and still have fun is just so amazing!  I love you gals!......

Sherry!  Were you in that pillow fight last night?  Man, those women are all just having too much fun....I think it's the coffee!   BUT!!!  I'm sorry I missed it!  Hah! 

• Chevyboy
    Options

Oh, sorry, Jo asked for breakfast! 

• lestwin
    lestwin Member Posts: 20
    Options

I'm still here!  I also was never told about protecting the arm.  Unfortunately, my DR took out 21 of my nodes when he did the biopsy, I'm still mad as hell about it!  I had even told him that my right arm was pretty useless because of an incompetent doctor when I was six years old (Socialized medicine) so I needed my left arm to do everything as I have very limited movement in the right arm.  Thanks to these threads I have learned a lot.  Now they never take my blood pressure at all because neither of my arms can be used.  Also I have to have blood tests done every three months for the leukemia crap and they can only use my right hand, talk about being up a creek with no paddle!.....and the beat goes on.

Don't use your lumpectomy arm for those pillow fights ladies.....can't join you have no arms to use!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    Options

Chevy-Jo always sneaks up on me when I am asleep

Also forgot the RO told me yesterday that our rads area needs to have sunscreen on it for up to two years.  He said after that we should be OK. I don't usually sun bath but I do walk alot for exercise and he could see where I had had a V neck shirt on.  I also had just started itching but no rash.  He said it was from the sun getting me there.  He said SPF30 or above at all times when outside. 

• jo1955
    Options

lestwin - I am going to get in the pillow fight with both arms.  To heck with "protecting" the lumpectomy arm.  I see it as good exercise.

Chevyboy - Thanks for the breakfast - I needed that.  See what happens when you go to bed early.  If you need to, take a nap today and be around for the party tonight.

If any of you gals are around tonight, maybe I will supply the giggle juice and we will have a great time. 

• Sherryc
    Options

Grannydukes-I did throw that nurse in the bondfire but somehow she escaped!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am three months post rads and still have a nice suntain square on my chest.  It has faded quiet a bit but still very noticable.  My RO said with my fair skin it will probably take 6-9 months to completely go away.  Guess I will not be wearing any strapless dresses this summer.

• jo1955
    Options
    Sherry - I've got that darn nurse by the hair and I am going to fling her in the bonfire.  I tied weights on her waist so she can't get out again.  Boy, is she burning good.
  • Sherryc
    Options
    Jo you are funny.  Maybe she felt the fire the first time and that is why she was nice to me yesterday!!!Undecided
  • jo1955
    Options
    Sherry - If that what it takes to be nice, so be it.  I'll keep an eye on her - don't you worry.  If I have to I will let granny know and she will take care of her.
  • Chevyboy
    Options

You guys, we can't hit Lestwin!  Oh well, maybe we can!  We can smack her on top of the head!   Wink 

Hi Sherry & Jo...& maybe Kantalope!  SHE'S probably still asleep... She's up all night, & sleeps all day!  I have to go buy my gloves, or Flipper will be all over me.....again! 

xoxoxoxo

• jo1955
    Options
    Chevyboy - Guess we both have to go buy gloves.  She has threatened to not stop hitting me until I do.  She is one tough cookie.
  • FireKracker
    FireKracker Member Posts: 5,858
    Options

wellllll you girls have been busy while i was sleeping,on the phone,and stressing about goin for the shingle shot today.

Ducky--thanks for scaring those 2..thats what we are here for.information right?

Chevy bi@#$tch--i did say back to normal after rads right?my normal is playin cards with all the men in my bldg.Your normal is gosh i dont know.Hair dye,RED,laying asphalt.yeah right.maybe you should bet the pole.ha.now enuf.stop scaring the young girls away.TORIGIRL---where are you.see you scared her away!!!!!im gonna put duck tape on that bright red mouth of yours.AND STOP FEEDING THAT SHIT FOOD TO JO.

Lestwin  and Sherry-Thanks for putting us back on track and hanging out with us.I too have that upsidedown V after 3 months out of rads and im olive skin color.the entire boob is like real tan.another gift.

and JO JO----what kind of juice are you bringing tonite???????WE DONT DO ALCOHOL HERE EITHER except for chevy...she dont do anything she is supposed to do so you can give her the alcohol.the rest of us should be drinking something healthy...like a smoothie.

be back later.huggggggggs to all of you.God bless.Kantalope

• Beanius
    Beanius Member Posts: 1,494
    Options

Whooah hah! I leave for a few hours and pooof you galz bin chattin!

Chevyboy - you might as well just go get a job in health care. I went to see a GP yesterday and what did he give me for the rash???? You are right. FLUOCINONIDE CREAM! He was super nice but had no idea what it was, but ruled out all the scary things like cancer, anything contagious, bug bite, spider bit, hives...etc. So who knows and I hope that cream works, I think it is starting to help. Thanks so much for your info!! I love the hot dog, one of my fav "bad foods" I don't eat them very often, but yesterday I was in a little store and they have corn dogs, which always tempt me. I just don't ever get them cuz I know a stomach ache will follow. Had to give up donuts for the same reason. Now breakfast is almost always raisin bran, except when you serve up something better here! Like that pizza looks so good!!! And I'll take one of those chef salads! Now how am I doing to take off these next 5 lbs???

Hey, those are the same gloves I have!

Jo - Pre BC I always heard that you should eat at least 5 different fruits and veggies a day, so I made a point of doing that, most of the time. My DH loves salads so we've always eaten a lot of salads and veggies. We also jog almost every day and we buy skim milk and get fat free yogurt and sour cream...so for years we've eaten pretty healthy, buy turkey, lean meats, etc. but I got bc anyway. So I really don't do a whole lot differently now. I do keep my bra looser and drink a lot more water than before...also have bumped up fruit a bit. And instead of crackers or chips for a snack I eat nuts or trail mix. I had gotten a bit heavy for a while, creeping weight gain, but slowly took a lot of it off. I am now happy to say that I'm right at the top of my BMI normal range. I would still like to be 5 or pounds slimmer...I'm 5'3" and 140 lb, so have plenty of cushion still! But at least I feel I'm at a "healthy" weight.

Oh darn! I missed the pillow fight! I had to drive into town to see that doctor yesterday and it took nearly forever, but I was lucky they squeezed me in on such short notice. Wait a minute...this IS Friday, right? Then I didn't miss it, jo, whack whack for trying to trick me!

In case anyone is interested, here is a link to the BMI calculator:

http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/bmicalc.htm

lestwin - so glad the rads hasn't given you a problem, that is great news.

Barbara - I have been leaning towards more organics too, when there's a choice.

Ducky - You know, they told me all that too...then I went to a certified LE therapist and she said to live life normally, I think it's pretty individual and good to get evaluated. She told me to be careful, but we are going to get bug bites and we are going to get scratches, etc. The first time I got a mosquito bite after my AxLND sugery, I about had a panic attack. But it healed up just fine. Since then I've had a number of little scratches and no problems. I don't wear gloves for dishes and I do scrub and do a lot with that arm, esp since it's my dominant side. She said to watch for any signs of infection or swelling and for a couple months after rads to not lift much heavy. But she measured my arms for a baseline and just said to live normally and enjoy life. I had SNB and AxLND with 21 nodes altogether removed. I def don't allow blood pressure or blood draws on that arm and the therapist said be sure not to allow anything to constrict the flow on that arm, so nothing tight around my wrists or arms or tight backpack or anything like that. Also I wear gloves when working around the yard or doing any projects with my husband. I'm not sure about hot tubs, my sense for me is I think I'll stay out of them for now. Ducky you get a whack for trying to scare us too, j/k!

Here is the link where I found the Certified LE therapist...in case NE1 is interested...

http://www.stepup-speakout.org/Finding_a_Qualified_Lymphedema_Therapist.htm

lee - Big congratulations on finishing and I hope you heal up real quick with no problems!!

Sherry -  congrats on a great post rad check up! glad those ice packs are helping! Thanks for all the great info. I do think that the edema started because I was too active, I was doing jumping jacks after my jogging and then the cryin boob started. So frustrating to think I'm getting better and then have a new thing to deal with. Anyway, it is getting better but I'm still not doing jumping jacks. Just doing a lot of stretching to try to get things more back to normal.

Have a wonderful day!!! ~Beans

• Teklya
    Teklya Member Posts: 362
    Options

HI there.  Last year on this day I received my cancer diagnosis.  I am trying to make this a positive day but realize I will likely need a good cry by day's end.

Take good care, all

Teklya

• jo1955
    Options

Kantalope - Chevyboy gave me the breakfast so leave ToriGirl alone. "And I enjoyed every bit of it - so there.  Am I acting like a spoiled brat or what? Now I am going to whine.   Do we have to do smoothies - yuck?  Not for a good old fashioned Friday night pillow fight.  What is wrong with you?  

Beans - DH and I usually eat pretty good. That has been before and since BC.  I am not going to really change the way I eat.  I don't really think it will make that big of a difference.  If I am destined to get it again, so be it.  I am doing everything I can at this point to prevent that.

• FireKracker
    Options

Oh Beans thanks for comin back.I was worried those 2 nuts chaised you away.The food that they eat,no gloves,the hair dye,chevy laying a floor at 73 yrs old.You would never know this thread was AFTER THE RADS......

AND thank you for telling all these wonderful ladies about the healthy way you eat.Im tryin to do the right thing(mostly) and I know its hard but we need to support each other.Those 2 dont even want to hear about Parabins.Maybe its better that way.To me knowledge is power.

My GD has some babyfood jars left over from her 1 yr old baby.she is havin another one in Nov.she looked at the date.it was not expired.that baby is 1.how much shit do they put in that jar for it to stay good for a new born baby?????when i said that to her she just opened her eyes wide.AFTER THE RADS we must do better,feel better dont we?no one wants to read labels but hey just make a few changes....am i off the deep end today???

• jo1955
    Options

IT HAS GOT BE BE 5 O"CLOCK SOMEWHERE!

Granny - I promise it does have some fruit in it.

• Sherryc
    Options

Jo I am sure it is 5 o'clock somewhere

Granny-the best part of cyper drink is it is not real so you don't get a hangover.  We can do better than smoothies.

Teklya-((((((((BIG CYBER HUGS FOR YOU GIRL))))))))  Go treat yourself to something and celebrate that you are here one year later!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• FireKracker
    Options

YOU GIRLS GO BRING THAT DRINK TO TEKLYA....SHE IS THE ONE THAT SHOULD HAVE IT.ok.....its 5pm somewhere...go for it.i cannot be such a meanny.you know in my exercise class one women asked what i did for a living before i retired.i told her i worked for AIG for quite some time.she said I THOUGHT YOU WERE IN THE SERVICE.SERVING OUR COUNTRY.another guy i worked with in AIG told one of his employees watch out im gonna get K after you.am i that bad??????

I JUST WANT US TO GET BETTER.NO NOT BETTER.CURED.LETS FIGHT FOR SOMETHING THAT MEANS SOMETHING.OUR HEALTH...

AND YES WE ALL DRINK TO YOU TELKYA.GOD BLESS....HUGGGGGGGS K

• jo1955
    Options

Teklya - I must have missed your post - Great big hugs for you girlfriend.  It is really time to celebrate - you are here one year later.

Sherry - So glad you are joining me for happy hour.  I don't like to drink alone. 

• FireKracker
    Options
    its 5:09 in NJ.ill have that drink for Telkya.know i never drink ever.my stomach doesnt do well with alcohol but for you sista HERE"S LOOKIN AT YA.
  • jo1955
    Options
    Kantalope - Just remember, these are virtual drinks and food.  No alcohol, no calories, no bad stuff, no guilt - so enjoy it while you can.
  • Teklya
    Teklya Member Posts: 362
    Options

awwwwwhhhhh, you are going to make me cry.  Seriously, you ladies/gals are like "friends" and special ones at that.  Not so sure I could have made it thru' this past year without all the incredible support, prayers, wisdom, expertise, cheers and hugs.  I will take that drink now.

still just breathing. . .

Teklya

• Beanius
    Options

Teklya - Happy 1st Cancerversary! I had mine on March 29th. I think of it as a positive thing to celebrate because the cancer was found and removed and I have so much to live for! I did get into a lot of emotion about it with plenty of tears, so totally understand. But halleluja! You are here a year later, that is so fantastic!!! I'll drink to your continued good health!!!

jo - Love the cocktail, that looks beautiful! Thanks for that!!! I agree you've done all you can to prevent it and I really think we have to enjoy our lives. I try to stay away from potato chips because they are so addictive for me, but one of the first things I did when I got the dx was bought a bag of potato chips, cuz who knows how long we have? I thought I'd have one of my favorite stupid things. I really thought I was going to die, so to be here a year later is so fantastic! And to see so many of us who have struggled through all the treatments - yahoooooooo! We are here and maybe have a few complaints still, but really doing great!! I give us all a big huge pat on the back for the strenghth and courage we've had and that we have been able to help each other. You and so many of these wonderful women have helped me thru such a tough time! I'm feeling so happy and yeah, at peace too about whatever happens from here.

grannydukes - LOL! that baby food story is a riot! Now, I sure didn't mean to lead you to think I'm a perfectly healthy eater! My big sis is a vegetarian and super healthy except she keeps getting sick, well, I just can't do all that and some people go to the extreme vegan diets, I think we have to enjoy our lives and DH and I def do that, but I try to get fruits and veggies in too! I love your spirit - thanks so much for the positive thinking!

sherry - I drink A LOT of cyber drinks - ha ha ha!

• Beanius
    Options

Tekyla - I've heard the first year is really a doozie, it was for me! Big hugs to you and again, congratulations!!!

• FireKracker
    Options

i had sooo many different diag.that i dont even remember exactly the day.all i remember is the first of the 3 surgeries.my lump went from questionable to suspicious in a matter of days.it started way back in 2009.----finished the rads feb 7th.2011.im not gonna celebrate any date.....IM GONNA CELEBRATE LIFE.

GIVE ME ANOTHER DRINK...PLEASE.i need it my GD is on her way to bring me to get the shingle shot.should have been here by 6:00 now its gonna be 6:30.ill be lucky if she is here by 7.maybe i should get drunk sooo i wouldnt feel that needle.grrrrrrrrrrr.

• Chevyboy
    Options

Oh Wah, Wah!!!!  Poor little Kantalope!   Little honey, I had that shot 2 years ago, or maybe last year, & I didn't even feel it.  Sheesh!  And what ship did you just get off of girl?  I mean are you hanging around with Sailors or something?   Do you talk to that little red-head boy like that? Wink  He is going to sound just like you!!! 

BEANS!!!  Yes, I hope that cream helps!  I could have given you a prescription for that, ha!  But at Walmart, it is very cheap..... I have been using it on my ears also, like because I am allergic to the hearing aids, so I rub a little in & on the outside of them..... 

Tekyla....Is that Tequila?  Or what?  Ha, ha!  Do I get to name you that?  Were YOU in that pillow fight last night?  Bet you WERE!!!  Whack!   Congratulations on your one year....I remembered mine too, but it made me really feel good!   I mean to have at least come this far!

Where are you Thumper?  I mean Flipper?   Are you and Kantalope planning something?

Jo!!  Why can't we drink?  I don't care what she says....I think I will have a Bailey's and coffee!  Then maybe I can stay awake to play with you gals tonight! 

Where is Tori girl....Kantalope, you musn't be a bad example for that sweet thing.... She will think we ALL talk like that!  Man, when the ship docks, they let all the riff-raff out! 

I love you gals! xoxoxoxoxo

• jo1955
    Options

Let's get this party started!!!!!

I just looked at my calendar for the month of May and there are no doctor's appts at all.  Now, that is something to celebrate.

Gonna have a nice glass of wine to celebrate Teklya's cancerversary. 

Beans - A bag of potato chips sounds really good about now.  They would go good with wine. Care to share with me?