Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Not quite a horder - decluttering

Options

Comments

• zogo
    zogo Member Posts: 19,190
    edited March 2011
    Options

Suzette, I can't believe you just jumped in and started a thread for this.  "Not quite a horder " cracks me up LOL. 'Tis a fine line between clutter and hoarding!  I've joined in hopes that it will help my house. One step at a time.......

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618
    edited March 2011
    Options

That is a great idea BUT...

I was told from a young age that all hangers should be in the same direction because IF your house catches fire, and the fire fighters can, they grab huge amounts of clothing from your closet and throw it out of the house.  If the hangers are mixed they won't lift off the rod and the firefighters will leave them.  This was the story from the 60s, so I don't know if it still stands.

I would think if you put the clothes back in after laundering, in the opposite direction, but together, that might work.  It would be a very hard habit for me to break.

• bookart
    bookart Member Posts: 210
    edited March 2011
    Options

Sorry, Meece, but these days I don't think the firefighters try to save your clothes.  Let 'em go...

• Meece
    edited March 2011
    Options

Like I said, old habbits die hard.  I really do need to get serious about clearing up my closet though.

• voraciousreader
    voraciousreader Member Posts: 3,696
    edited March 2011
    Options

I clean out my closet twice yearly.  It's such a terrific feeling. I usually do it, a month before Spring and Fall.  I did mine last month and I found things I "forgot" to wear during the Winter...so I started wearing them and it felt so good...as though they were new!

The DD and I have feet problems.  During the last three years we've replaced all of our shoes in our closet.  I can finally say that there ISN'T a pair in my closet that hurts my feet and that I don't wear!  It's such a great feeling to go into my closet and pick out my clothes and shoes for the day.  When I cleaned out my closet last month, I gave away 4 huge bags of clothes.  I felt good about that too!

Want to add, my friend lost her home to a fire.  It was heartbreaking...and she wasn't a ratpack.  As magnificent as her new home is, she misses those things that were irreplaceable.  The pictures that were destroyed and the friends she had to move away from.  Her fire started in the walls of her kitchen.  Within minutes, her home was gone.

• Meece
    edited March 2011
    Options

I used own a company that did fire damage restoration.  It is heartbreaking to see what cannot be salvaged.

• kira1234
    kira1234 Member Posts: 754
    edited March 2011
    Options

Well you all got me off my but. I have tossed lots of Dad's old papers that were on the table. I can see the table now. Next I am going to put a bunch of the old books on gregg's list.

I have a car load of old clothes I'm taking to good will when I go to the DR. this morning.

• Meece
    edited March 2011
    Options

I need to go through some more drawers.  That will be my goal this week.  The dresser in the guest room, which holds all sorts of doo-dads.

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    edited March 2011
    Options

Suzette you have inspired me to spring clean.Just got a note from the garbage man this morning saying I had too much to pick up.Yell

• Meece
    edited March 2011
    Options

I hate that!  Our neighbors are pretty nice, and if we have too much, we share our cans.  I hope DH put the garbage out today, I am not supposed to do anything but eat bon bons.

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,856
    edited March 2011
    Options

My goal this week is to de-clutter the bedroom. I will post a photo of it after if I can figure out how to do that. Thanks for starting this thread!

• Meece
    edited March 2011
    Options

Some before and after photos might be cool, and give more incentive.

• kira1234
    kira1234 Member Posts: 754
    edited March 2011
    Options

oh I like the idea of taking before and after pictures. Another incentive for me is I'll be able to eat at the table again. I haven't been able to in months. At least one table cleaned off will be so nice.

I am just beginning to realise how depressed I've been. I can't even begin to understand how I've let myself leave all this stuff so long, so not like me.

• LuvRVing
    LuvRVing Member Posts: 2,409
    edited March 2011
    Options

Seaside - I've heard the hint before about hangers in the opposite direction...great idea!  We had major remodeling done last fall and had to empty out all the closets downstairs and take everything upstairs.  When the closets were ready to be used, I brought stuff down as I wanted to wear it.  As much as I have donated already, I am shocked at what is still left that I haven't worn.  Part of the problem is that I used to work outside the home, so I have the whole multi-season business wardrobe.  But I don't think I'm going back to work, so I'm going to have to part with these things.  I think there is a United Way agency in Kansas City that collects clothes for women who are trying to get back into the workforce after having been homeless or coming from a battered women's shelter...I need to reach out to them.

Michelle

• zogo
    zogo Member Posts: 19,190
    edited March 2011
    Options

I think table tops is a great goal for today!

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited March 2011
    Options

Oh can I join ???  As my best friend says....I have too much shit.  All of the clutter makes my house look like it is a mess and having to pick up nick nacks, etc... is driving me batty.  I am not going to attempt to start at my garage because it is SCARY.  We cleaned it out about 3 years ago and found out that it is physically too short for my car so it is now a storage area. 

So my goal is :

1. Go thru my closets and get rid of clothing that doesn't fit.

2. file the paper work

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited March 2011
    Options

Great ideas.  I had also heard about the hangers being hung turned in for easy retrieval in a fire.  I doubt I'm going to be thinking about taking clothes in an emergency (other than to cover my torso!) and I have never seen clothes on the lawn outside of a house after the firemen have left so I don't think they do that either.  They have enough to save with people and pets.  So I will get to some cleaning of closets this weekend and turn the hangers for those I can't part with.

• Meece
    edited March 2011
    Options

I did it.  I went through all 7 drawers.  It is where I keep future gifts, wrapping stuff, and misc.  The drawers look good, but I can't say the same for the bed.  Must work on that today.  The Bed and flat surfaces will be finished today!

• imbell
    imbell Member Posts: 61
    edited March 2011
    Options

Watching hoarders was a real wake up call. My mother died at 91 and I swear she collected lint, well not really but close enough. I thought why am I keeping all these remainders of other people's lives, I have enough of my own crap. I took down the pictures of all the dead relatives and put up the knick knacks.  I have stopped watching the program because it is upsetting but have learned some valuable lessons.

• voraciousreader
    edited March 2011
    Options

Ladies.... You are never going to believe this. Today a miracle happened down the block at our hoarder's home. After four years, she has finally accepted the help of Adult Protective Services. One of my neighbors called me this morning to say the police were at her home. About a half hour later I saw this strange woman and she identified herself that she was from APS and told me that she would be helping my neighbor. I hope it works. Waiting for a call back from Building Department.

• Meece
    edited March 2011
    Options

In our little town, when a house burned, there was always clothing all over the yard afterward.  I remember touring the firestation, and that is where we heard why...

• imbell
    imbell Member Posts: 61
    edited March 2011
    Options

Meece my husband must have heard the same story or he is obsessive compulsive LOL cause all his hanger face the same way and he gets quite upset if you don't do it right so I stopped hanging up his clothes years ago. If you want it done right do it yourself.

• voraciousreader
    edited March 2011
    Options

On my own....with our hoarder...I can't even think of watching the show. It is way too painful for me to watch. When my 86 year old mom visits in the summertime, she is not permitted to watch it in my home.

• Meece
    edited March 2011
    Options

Before:

After:

• Meece
    edited March 2011
    Options

I have watched some horders, but some strikes a nerve so I don't watch it anymore.  I would better spend my time de-hording.

• suzwes
    suzwes Member Posts: 765
    edited March 2011
    Options

Hi Ladies!  We are doing absolutely wonderful at decluttering!  I'm so proud of all of you (and myself too)!  You are all motivating me although not tonight - must go to bed.  Have laryngitis and my throat is sore from straining.  I had to give a presentation in the Detroit area today and my voice lasted long enough to get through that.  Detroit is only an hour or so away but the drive and my throat has me worn out. 

I have big plans for this weekend.  My DIL and I are going to tackle the rest of the office.  I'll be so happy to have it organized and get stuff thrown out. 

Mum - sorry about the garbage - I was worried about that too but DH said they took it all this morning.  I'm lucky that my sister lives next door so we can sneak extra garbage into each others piiles when needed. 

Glad you joined us Jaimieh!

Love the pictures Meece - that is very inspiring.

I admit it, I watch hoarders - it does make me want to get rid of stuff.  I used to go in similar homes when I was a visiting nurse.  I must admit that they weren't quite as bad as on the show or I would have had to take measures to remove the child (I saw babies and children), but there were some pretty bad places.

• Meece
    edited March 2011
    Options

I am going to try to set a goal for filling up a kitchen sized garbage pail twice today.  I don't care wht it is fill with, but it will be out of my house.  I also should get tat bed in the spar room cleared off.

• suzwes
    suzwes Member Posts: 765
    edited March 2011
    Options

Oh the spare bedroom, I can't even think about it right now. I need to do that so bad!  No, Suzette, the office first!!!  That's where I get in trouble I have so much to do that I flit around trying to get it all done rather than tackling tasks little by little.  Anyone else have that problem?

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    edited March 2011
    Options
    The other day I started in my bedroom closet took some laundry down to laundry room,ended up emptying dishwasher. Meanwhile nothing is finished.Yell
  • Meece
    edited March 2011
    Options

I like being able to check off things off my lists, and when I break down the tasks it makes me feel more productive.

Rather than my list saying:

Clean spare room

I make a list that might look something like this:

Clean and organize drawers of dresser 

Clean and organinze  drawers in wardrobe

Dust furniture

Change sheets on bed

Orgainize lower closet

Orgainize upper closet

clean windows

vacuum carpet

This way if I do get distracted, I can still check things off my list.