Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Not quite a horder - decluttering

Options

Comments

• suzwes
    suzwes Member Posts: 765
    edited March 2011
    Options

I haven't been on til now this weekend since I've been doing some major decluttering.  I have 6 bags of throw away for the garbage man on Tuesday.  It feels so good.  I still have many decluttering things to do but the office was a major project.  Still have a good way to go on the office but it looks pretty good right now!  Decluttering, one room at a time.

• samsue
    samsue Member Posts: 599
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Suzwes, thanks for starting this thread... I'm learning a lot from all the posts. Main one being, do a little at a time... which becomes a huge success! It's like the ants moving a mountain, they get it done little by little. I'm usually wanting the task done yesterday Wink
  • Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618
    edited March 2011
    Options

I went ahead and changed the way my clothes are hanging.  it will be interesting to see how many things I don't wear.

• Meece
    edited March 2011
    Options

I went to Borders yesterday.  It is closing, and books are on discount.  I picked up a small book on organizing.  I hope to get some good inspiration from it.

• mumito
    mumito Member Posts: 2,007
    edited March 2011
    Options

Even my kitchen is on ther declutter list can't believe how many old potsamd pans I have still kept and don't use.

• Meece
    edited March 2011
    Options

About 2 months ago we went and brought everything home from a 6 x 10 storage unit, packed floor to ceiling.  The garage is a mess. I really need to get it organized so I can park my car in it again.

• voraciousreader
    voraciousreader Member Posts: 3,696
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I put rolling baskets in my bottom cabinets in the kitchen and bathroom.  The DH installed them in my mother's home too!  The.Best!  I got them at home depot.  I see EVERYTHING and never have to stretch these bum arms of mine to find things!  Mom loves them too!  In her home, I found 20 little dental flosses.  I put most of them in their own little separate basket and then put them in the bathroom basket.  I put one on her kitchen and bathroom counters and one beside her bed.  Now, when she runs out of those ...all she has to do is get one from the basket in the basket...under her sink!  I wonder how long it will take her to run out of dental floss now?  I had asked her, "Why 20?"  All she said was she could NEVER find them...so the easiest thing to do was buy more!!!  Not any more!Laughing
  • Meece
    edited March 2011
    Options

That happens to me sometimes.

I bought the clear plastic boxes for under my batheroom cabinets.  I have one for nailpolish and manicure stuff, One for first aid, one for hair stuff (ie tie backs, barrettes) etc..  I can see what's in them and everything of like kind is in one place.  The plastic boxes stack nicely, too.

• suzwes
    edited March 2011
    Options

I'm having a hard time reading this thread right now because I haven't been home since Monday morning and I'm so in the mood to declutter.  I won't be home til Saturday night!  Hope I can get some good decluttering done on Sunday!

• o2bhealthy
    o2bhealthy Member Posts: 1,089
    edited March 2011
    Options

Ugh!!! My mom is visiting and brought a huge duffle bag of clothes!!! The last thing I need is more clothes, I still have 6 huge plastic bins to sort through...

• Meece
    edited April 2011
    Options

I spent hours in the garage today.  First I spent an hour or so sorting through photographs and putting them in groups of years, then out to the garage.  I am going through lot's of paperwork and tossing what I can.  I went through a box with old craft patterns and ideas.  i tossed those that I no longer had an interest in.

• o2bhealthy
    edited April 2011
    Options

Wow!!! Went through the duffle bag tonight, I am pretty sure my mom's friend was a cothes horder.  There were over 60 high $ bra's, most still with price tags attached, under wear, slips, some stuff you would expect to receive at a bachorette party Embarassed  dresses, pants, panty, hose and belts...  My mom told me she returned over $1,500 worth of clothing back to Ross when she helped her friend move.  My yard sale is going to rock (thank God the tags are still attached) Laughing

• wonderland
    wonderland Member Posts: 2,754
    edited April 2011
    Options

o2bhealthy: Over 60 brand new high dollar bras?!?!?!? And all the other garments?!?! Wow, you will definitely make good money! Better have your yard sale soon (this is about to turn into an inside joke from another thread) before certain rodents make their nest in the clothes! Tongue out

Yesterday I placed 5 bags of papers, etc. by the curb to be picked up for recycling because of all my decluttering from last weekend. Thanks for the motivation to really dip deep into all the drawers! Hope to attack a few more areas sometime over the weekend.

• Jaimieh
    Jaimieh Member Posts: 925
    edited April 2011
    Options

So i didn't get my closets clean or my papers put away BUT I did get my kids closets cleaned out and 4 bins cleaned out in my daughters room.  We took out 1 1/2 bags of old toys, and toy pieces out of her room.  We still have a ways too go but we are getting there. 

Today I took 3 rubber maid bins to a consignment sale along with 2 clothes baskets of old toys and 2 big bags of old books.  I just hope that a lot of it sells tomorrow so I don't have to deal with too much tomorrow.  So not only did I get rid of things today but I will make a couple bucks to buy my kids some clothes for summer, win-win for me :).

Still working on paperwork.  I hate the amount of paper that we receive daily.  I wish I could just burn all of the medical bills. 

• suzwes
    edited April 2011
    Options

I'm finally home from the week of work travel.  Tomorrow I plan to dig in - will report tomorrow evening as to how much I get done!

• mbtlcsw01
    mbtlcsw01 Member Posts: 250
    edited April 2011
    Options

Suzette, just saw this thread. Amazing that this is exactly where I am.  I started this week at work because my office has gotten so out of hand I can't find anything.  I had to move offices and I just threw everything in boxes and moved them in.  I also started some here at home this weekend and plan to spend some time tomorrow at my office (on the weekend) to get it in better shape. 

Meece, I worked on sorting pictures this winter and made some good headway.  I gave each of my sons a bag full of their baby pictures.  My DH will be out of town all next week.  I'll probably work mostly on my office and then work on the house with my DH when he comes back.

• o2bhealthy
    edited April 2011
    Options
    My co-worker came over today to help me go through my clothes bins (she recently had gastric bypass and has lost 60 lbs so I invited her to come shopping in my closet).  ...six huge rubbermaid bins whittled down to ONE!  My co worker took 2 large kitchen bags of clothing  The remaining 4 bins are all for the yard sale Smile Now to put the clothes I am keeping away...
  • samsue
    samsue Member Posts: 599
    edited April 2011
    Options

Taking small steps.... I cleaned out the jewelry drawers today. Giving some of it to GW the rest to a friends dd so they can play dress-up.

Yesterday I did find some stuff in the spare bedroom closet that had wrapping paper/decorating items that I put in the GW bags. Just don't want to deal with it anymore.... someone else can have fun...

• mbtlcsw01
    mbtlcsw01 Member Posts: 250
    edited April 2011
    Options

Today, I went to my office (on my day off) and spent three hours de-cluttering.  Got rid of two bags full of stuff and about 1/2 a container of condifential info to be shredded.  Before I went, I cleaned out my desk drawers and did some more when I came home.  Why do we save all this stupid stuff?  My closet is another whole thing to deal with.  My DH will be gone all next week.  Plan to really do some de-cluttering then.  This thread helped me today to make some decisions about getting rid of stuff I do not need or want anymore.  Thanks Suzette.

• voraciousreader
    edited April 2011
    Options

Sisters, don't be angry at me.  I just came back from shopping and bought three new bras and tossed 4.  Amen.Kiss

• kira1234
    kira1234 Member Posts: 754
    edited April 2011
    Options

voraciousreader. That's just what I need to do. My old ones are very uncomfortable now so really just need to get rid of them. Now to find some new bras that a cute but don't hurt.

• voraciousreader
    edited April 2011
    Options

I forgot to add...those 4 that I tossed...they were the sports bras that I bought before my breast surgery!  They went into the bonfire...over at the Bonfire of the Goddesses. 

• wonderland
    edited April 2011
    Options

VR: you did great! Why would anyone be angry with you?

Another "rule" is 1 thing in, 1 thing out. You did 3 in and 4 out. That's awesome! Plus, you'll feel better with your new bras.

Way to go!

• voraciousreader
    edited April 2011
    Options

I needed new ones, because I wasn't wearing a bra for months because my shoulder hurts from a frozen shoulder and a rotator cuff tear.  I finally got back into wearing a bra and decided on getting one with comfortable shoulders straps.  What a difference.

• voraciousreader
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Wonderland...I just thought the less we shopped, the less we accumulated.  I'm wearing one of my new bras now and have to say, I feel mah-vel-ous!Wink
  • wonderland
    edited April 2011
    Options

VR: sorry about your frozen shoulder and rotator cuff tear. Glad you bought comfortable bras.

I'm off to finish a few more areas that were a goal of mine for the weekend.

Good work everyone!

• voraciousreader
    edited April 2011
    Options

Wonderland....good luck...and don't knock yourself out!  Find some time to enjoy the rest of the day!

• wonderland
    edited April 2011
    Options

VR: our posts crossed.

You are so right about shopping less so your house doesn't become a mess! That's a conscious premeditated act not to clutter!

edited: spelling

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,856
    edited April 2011
    Options

I've been sick with the flu so haven't done much. I did manage to put 2 bags of clothes for charity out and organized three shelves from my closet. Much easier to organize when there's not much left. Lol.

• suzwes
    edited April 2011
    Options

We are all amazing - we're tackling our clutter a little at a time!  Congrats Mary on tackling your office.  I have to tackle my work office.  My home office looks beautiful and like a different room!  Still have shredding to do - oldest grandson did shredding yesterday (with Grammy's supervision - he's only 5).  I cleaned out my huge and messy silverware drawer - put new shelf paper down and rearranged.  Also bought four new pair of shoes from ebay last week and threw four old pair out (thanks for the reminder VR).  Feels so good to get rid of crap!