Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Single life after a mastectomy

Options

Comments

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,931
    edited April 2018
    Options

E- I agree that you should let the super know you will be having a procedure and ask if they can get it done before you go in for your surgery. You won't want them in there banging around when you are recovering.

If you will do your recovery at home, ask for visiting nurses or home health type support. I recouped from my TAH and bc surgery at home without anyone here, but the nurses made sure I was okay.

• Enerva
    Enerva Member Posts: 2,985
    edited April 2018
    Options

Oh yes I will defenatly ask the supper tomorrow

I wish it's done this coming weeks.

Nobroken I don't want my family to know about my surgery. I sometimes regreat telling them about my condition. Long history short they just have enough with my sister and they worry a lot now. I am ok alone I have been in this country alone for more years than what I live back home which is so crazy I realiazed I have been independent for a long time and some how got use it and I hate my relatives asking me how I feel every single day lol

Is so hard to move on but it is what it is I guess

• notbrokenjustbent
    notbrokenjustbent Member Posts: 326
    edited April 2018
    Options

E, you know best but with any kind of procedure I ALWAYS have a plan and someone knows what is going on, who to call in an emergency and who is responsible for making decisions on my behalf. If I don't want anyone to worry I down play a situation but still they have some information. In the past when someone would ask a question, even if it made me uncomfortable and was extremely personal, I would answer. Today I just say "I don't want to talk about it but everything is good". I find that everyone respects that and push no further.

• juneping
    juneping Member Posts: 634
    edited April 2018
    Options

oh your niece is coming tomorrow...YAY...i am glad to hear the apt is moving along....

• jazzygirl
    edited May 2018
    Options

I had to share this with you. The Gathering of Nations was here last weekend where Native Americans come from all over the country to dance. This is one of the most outstanding costumes I have ever seen (and I have seen a lot of them living out here for 20 plus years). Not sure what tribe though.....

• juneping
    edited May 2018
    Options

i like the fact that he integrated his shoes w his custom and face paint....

• notbrokenjustbent
    edited May 2018
    Options

I am fascinated with native American's heritage and their cultures. I know little but would love to know more. When I was a very young girl my parents took me to a state park called Jenny Jump. The story as I recall is that her family was scalped and then then young Jenny was chased and ended up jumping from the mountain top to get away. That was the source of many nightmares as a young kid and I was terrified. Today I know much more about the history of our country and they have my utmost respect and admiration. In this part of the country there are a few festivals and Pow Wows but they are not common nor very local but someday I would love to go for the festivities. For a time I was collecting artifacts and antique baskets. They are true works of art. I suspect they have some value today and perhaps I should sell them to raise some cash.

Thanks for sharing the photo Jazz.

• jazzygirl
    edited May 2018
    Options

This photo was taken by me with this hot air balloon that floated over my patio this morning during an early yoga practice. I am lucky to live here!

• juneping
    edited May 2018
    Options

jazzy - how often do you exercise?? it sounds quite frequent to me....my integrative doctor told me to do daily but i have been quite lazy lately.

how do you keep it up?? sometimes i wonder if i lived in a house would help...being so close to the nature...??

• jazzygirl
    edited May 2018
    Options

June- I try to exercise with something every day. Walking, swimming, biking, & yoga. I usually have one day a week where I just take a break (my body usually tells me when to rest). Having good places to exercise does help (we have good weather here and it allows you to be outdoors year round). I have a pool that keeps me swimming 2-3 times a week. I do yoga on my patio in the better weather months. It helps with everything (sleep, energy, mood, etc.)

I also do a lot of yard work and with gardening this time of the year. It is quite a work out!

I think living in a city, you can be more limited. Do you belong to a gym? Have you tried yoga?

• juneping
    edited May 2018
    Options

i work out from home, i do mostly rebounding. and i like to do it first thing in the morning so i take a long time to get ready to go to work. and if i get up too late...then i'd skip the exercise....

i love swimming....but its just too much work to make it to the pool....

and yoga cause me the lymphedema...i had 35 nodes removed. i also tried the aerobic and my right heel hurt from it.....i tried a couple of different exercises...so far rebounding is the way to go.

• jazzygirl
    edited May 2018
    Options

June- I just learned recently about the rebounding thing from a friend who also has L. She really likes it too. No wonder you have a problem with the L, given the amount of nodes removed friend. Sound like yoga is out for you now too.

There were a lot of things I could not do after cancer for any number of reasons. I found swimming to be one of the best things because I could actually do a longer work out without pain. I had a lot of problems with my feet on the AIs, so longer walks, hikes, working on elliptical at the gym, etc. were all out. Short walks, yoga and swimming all worked for a long time. Exercise helped with my joint stiffness on the meds too.

I started biking again last after I changed the type of bike I ride, so I had something more stable. I was worried about falling off my regular trail bike (osteopenic bones) and got something more stable where I can put my feet right down when I stop. I call it my "old lady bike" (photo below), but love it and ride more often now.

What is best about swimming for me is being able to do longer work outs for fitness and calorie burning. I dropped 20 of my 30 lbs I have lost to date going back to the Olympic pool last year. Swimming allows me to build overall strength, plus I lost a lot of weight ramping up on my swimming last year. I have fallen off lately (some asthma issues that are now better), but working to get back to 3 days a week and started swimming early morning again as of today. We have a great city pool near me that is really cost effective and that gives me 3 different options for swimming each day (early morning, noon time and evening).

It does take time on each side to get ready to get in and out of the pool though. I reduce my time going in by putting my suit on under my clothes, so I am in the water quickly, and then just have to dress after. I swim 60-80 laps when I do work out (which is around a mile-ish at 70). I am thinking of competing in the summer senior Olympics this year, but will have to reg by this month and begin training for it (late July).

I think the important thing about exercise I have always found is that you have to find what works and keep it in your schedule to do regularly. I just find my overall health is better with exercise, my strength and mobility are better too. I sleep better at night as well.

Hope this helps!

• juneping
    edited May 2018
    Options

jazzy, i love the feeling after exercise...but just been having a hard time getting to do it. i think when i am a bit depressed, i tend not feeling like to do it. i just need to get myself up early enough to go thru the routine.

i love that bike's color, so summery....i was going to get one so i could do my weekend shopping with it. but my building doesn't have a bike space for me...and my place is too small to store one in....

• jazzygirl
    edited May 2018
    Options

June- thanks for the compliments on the bike. I used to do a bit more hard core mountain biking here and had this really beautiful high end bike (a Gary Fisher) I got around 2000 that was in mint condition and traded it in towards this one. It was hard to let go of the other bike because I really loved it, and perhaps because I was letting go of something I really enjoyed for awhile too (mountain biking). I am hoping to take my first ride tonight!

Temps here are getting hot already, and hit the low 90s yesterday. The past week was just perfect weather but now seeing the move up, not looking forward to the summer here. We have been 40 days plus without significant rain and are worried.

• jazzygirl
    edited May 2018
    Options

Happy Mothers Day to all the mothers out there on the thread, active or just stopping by......

• Enerva
    edited May 2018
    Options

hi friends

Jazz I saw the flower in the gardening tread how beautiful thanks for sharing

I made two little dogs for a lady who asked me for specific ones lol see pictures below

No sure the are great but they are similar to what she showed me in a picture lol

2 more days and I ll be on the table again.

I am a bit nervous. I think is cuz I already regret having my ovaries out. Hope one day I ll be ok with my decision but as of right now I wish I didn't have to.SickTired

• jazzygirl
    edited May 2018
    Options

E- just keep breathing. I had my ovaries out and am doing fine. It just all helps to keep the estrogen down, which unfortunately, creates problems for us with the bc stuff. Just expect you might feel something after they come out though as it can be a bit of a shock to your system with the drop in hormones. I was sobbing in the hospital, and the week I got home but won't say that was probably not from a whole lot of things.

Here is today's bloom!

• Enerva
    edited May 2018
    Options

jazz thanks for sharing

I am so nervous about this surgery but I know I am in good hands plus I got the power of attorney done so if anything goes wrong they ll know what to do.

I named my friend enzo in charge of any crazy decition lol

My family in vzla won't know anything

I am done sharing my situation. I ll email you girls as soon as I can on Wednesday

Today is a holiday here so all is close. Tomorrow I'll get some things done like I ll pick up the cd from my Bonne scan at the hospital also ll pass by school to request my certificate which I ll receive this October.

Also I ll make soups and some food to have fir the week ahead

• juneping
    edited May 2018
    Options

E, good luck with the surgery...and a speedy recovery. is enzo staying with you?? i'd ask the person to stay over a couple of nights to see how you're doing.

and love the cute doggies...they're lovely.

Jazzy - love the flowers...they do put you in good moods when you see them in the morning....

• Enerva
    edited May 2018
    Options

hi June

No my friend margarita came to rescue me but she could not stay nor I wanted her to stay. I am ok alone is a lot of pain but I manage to walk to the bathroom and kitchen . I think 24 more hours and the pain ll improve.

I am happy this is over and I hope is the last surgery I have to endure

I am so tired went in with a smile but came out sore like hell lol

• jazzygirl
    edited May 2018
    Options

Today's bloom for you Enerva

• Enerva
    edited May 2018
    Options

omg thank you jazz

I love your flowers I never seen such blooms

I am feeling a little better today

Loopy

• notbrokenjustbent
    edited May 2018
    Options

E, I am so pleased all went well. You have made the right decision in having the ovaries removed.

It has been very busy here and I am not use to this pace so in my downtime I am too tired to post, though I read what is going on with you girls and am especially interested in E's progress.

I will catch up with emails and updates soon.

• Enerva
    edited May 2018
    Options

hi friends

Just to say I feel a little better today

Hopefully a few more days and the pain will go away completely. Now is painful when I walk more than I have to lol but I only walk a few steps to the bathroom or kitchen so I figure it ll be 2 more days to be able to stand and walk all day lol basically I am in bed most of the day

Glad is better now

Nobroken glad you are ok

Enjoy the summer as much as you can

I will post tomorrow

Sweeet dreams

• Enerva
    edited May 2018
    Options

hi friends

Just to say I feel a little better today

Hopefully a few more days and the pain will go away completely. Now is painful when I walk more than I have to lol but I only walk a few steps to the bathroom or kitchen so I figure it ll be 2 more days to be able to stand and walk all day lol basically I am in bed most of the day

Glad is better now

Nobroken glad you are ok

Enjoy the summer as much as you can

I will post tomorrow

Sweeet dreams

• jazzygirl
    edited May 2018
    Options

• jazzygirl
    edited May 2018
    Options

• notbrokenjustbent
    edited May 2018
    Options

I LOVE that planter pot in the foreground. So lovely!

• Enerva
    edited June 2018
    Options

hi friends

Just to say I am feeling great today Winking

Just taking it easy and watching lots of tv lol

• ToughCookie101
    ToughCookie101 Member Posts: 119
    edited June 2018
    Options

E - glad you are recovering well! :)

I finished round of chemo today and my MO said I can't do round 4. I keep getting too sick and it is too risky. So I'm done! It is bitter sweet having to be done early but now on to a ABCSG12 treatment (hormone therapy with Zometa for premenopausal women).

Jazzy girl - beautiful flowers!!!!