Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Single life after a mastectomy

Options
1247248249250251253»

Comments

• notbrokenjustbent
    notbrokenjustbent Member Posts: 326
    edited June 2022
    Options

Funny, I took a taxi once and when I called him for pick up, he came and asked for me by name and said he was my friend. It worked fine but now the facility insists on making the calls directly so they would know it was a taxi business.

I tried the nurses aid or paid companion deal but they were looking for a regular job with a set schedule and not a one time deal. It is a huge problem and I am surprised there are no options.

• serendipity09
    serendipity09 Member Posts: 769
    edited June 2022
    Options

Notjustbroken - I feel the same way you do, except mine is more blah.

I just finished, about 10 minutes ago, having the same conversation about being single and BC; I have an appointment today to see the MO. My feet are so bad that I really shouldn't be driving, but I have no choice. Uber would cost too much to get nowhere I need to go. I also know better to leave early enough that if I need to pull over, to do so. I was diagnosed, two years ago, my son's first year of college and right when the pandemic started. He has been by my side through chemo, BMX, Xeloda, exchange surgery, reoccurrence, radiation and Xeloda again ( in my last week YAY). I have a huge surgery again in August and hired a retired nurse. I know my son will do anything for me, but he needs to be able to live his life and not always be burdened by my stuff. I don't like asking friends as they too have jobs and/or children and other responsibilities. I choose to be single, but it's times like this that it would be nice to have a SO to count on (of course not just for illness related issues).

None of this is easy. I hope it all works out for you. Hugs

• kamboka
    kamboka Member Posts: 1,052
    edited June 2022
    Options

Too bad about the nursing service. I was able to hire a companion for a few hours. Once, we meet at the place and the other time, the person drove me home.

• notbrokenjustbent
    notbrokenjustbent Member Posts: 326
    edited June 2022
    Options

I have talked to insurance companies and hospital social workers and clinic facilities. Everyone acknowledges that it is a problem yet nothing is done. What a great business that would be, to buy a van and shuttle people around? Surprised hospitals don't offer other than medical transport requiring high level of care. I DO know some of the cosmetic plastic surgeons offer transport to area hotel/motels for out of state patients.

I need an operation on my ankle. I need to be in a wheelchair for 4 weeks and thereafter have to wear a cast for 4 more, so no driving. I told the doctor that an operation is not possible so we are trying PT. I was warned it won't fix the tear but perhaps I can get some measure of improvement by building up the other muscles to compensate. I worry much about getting old and sick and all by myself. I don't know what I would have done for my BC operation as I need a far amount of care for at least a couple weeks.

So when I broke my ankle I had no way to get to the hospital or urgent care so I waited almost three weeks til I went to doctor. Someone said I should have called 911? I was worried if it was just a sprain or whatever, my insurance would be charged and not covered as non essential. Anyone know?

Yes, it's a huge issue for me.