Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Single life after a mastectomy

Options

Comments

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,931
    edited June 2018
    Options

Toughcookie- congrats on being done with chemo. Give yourself some time to rest and heal up. I have a fellow BCO sister I know from another thread doing Zometa and it sounds very do-able compared to many things we go through with this stuff. Thanks for checking in and letting us know you are doing.

My backyard is an explosion of blooms right now. Front yard is holding it's own too! The gardens give me a bit of sanity in an otherwise insane world!

• ToughCookie101
    ToughCookie101 Member Posts: 119
    edited June 2018
    Options

Jazzygirl - Glad to know the other BCO sister is handling Zometa well. It is interesting that it is now being used for early stage breast cancer too. I can’t keep ending up febrile neutropenic and throwing up water after every chemo. My MO says it is dangerous.

I live in Canada, So no flowers like that. That and I can’t keep plants alive, hah.

• jazzygirl
    edited June 2018
    Options

Our sister Enerva here is also from Canada. She has flowers on a deck I believe. My front yard burned last summer with the heat (I have rocks, otherwise known xeriscape) but the plants got fried. I relandscaped with more desert friendly things and a neighbor told me last night things are looking good. June is the hottest month here, so here we go.

Today I bought some poppies!

• notbrokenjustbent
    notbrokenjustbent Member Posts: 326
    edited June 2018
    Options

ToughCookie, I developed mild neuropathy after my first treatment but my old fart MO assured me it would be temporary. I asked about icing and was told it is a myth and to stay off the internet. Needless to say my neuropathy progressed with every treatment and today it has significantly affected my QOL. That bald headed freak with his medical degree from the 1930s caused me much harm and I won't even go into the dangers I was exposed to once I began the blockers. Thankfully with an insurance change I was forced to find a new MO and she immediately changed my meds. Sounds like you have a proactive doctor and be thankful for that. You are getting thru this on onward to the other side. Take good care of yourself. Are you working these days?

• jazzygirl
    edited June 2018
    Options

How is everybody doing this week ?

• Enerva
    Enerva Member Posts: 2,985
    edited June 2018
    Options

hi sorry I haven't been here lately

Yes I am well now

I am now at the public laundry doing some laundry after weeks of none lol

It sucks cuz it is such a beautiful day out and I am stuck doing laundry but 4 more days I will move to the cottage and all will be worth it

The rest I did will pay off lol

Hoping you all have a wonderful weekend

• ToughCookie101
    edited June 2018
    Options

NotBroken - Sorry for the late reply. I haven't been on here for a while as there is a lot going on! I am sorry to hear about the neuropathy, that is frightening. Has anything helped to improve it at all? My hospital ices for Taxotere standardly; they however say it is more to protect the nails, but I have heard it can help with neuropathy as well, so it can't hurt (besides the pain of frost bite for a couple of hours).

I got so nervous about not having the 4th chemo that I asked my MO if I could continue, and he said yes, however cautioned me and has reduced my dose and delayed my last round by another week (so it is this Friday). My neuropathy has gotten better so far, so I am hopeful. I couldn't take the wondering what if regarding the last round, so after I cancelled it, I stressed out about it so much, it is now back on. Fingers crossed it goes ok with the reduced dose. My MO is great, and I am very thankful. He isn't just treating the cancer, but he looks at my treatment as a whole long life balancing the cancer treatment, QOL, and my own life plans. He truly looks at the big picture and I am very thankful to have him as an MO. I am not currently working, I have been on disability since my mastectomy Feb. 1st, but I can't wait to get back to work in a few weeks.

• jazzygirl
    edited June 2018
    Options

Toughcookie- glad to hear your MO is working with you on being able to finish treatment. I did not do chemo, but was helping a friend a couple years ago when she went through a different kind of cancer treatment and the chemo tanked her blood work. She was going to stop but encouraged her to work with her MO (whom I knew from another place and time) and with a bit of a delay, she finished her last treatment. A good MO understands the importance of being able to continue to have quality of life during and after this as best as we are able. I am glad you are getting good care!

• jazzygirl
    edited June 2018
    Options

Just a quick note to say my annual mammo and ultrasound went just fine today. Always grateful for good check ups!

• jazzygirl
    edited July 2018
    Options

Happy July 4th to all the single ladies who live in the US

• ToughCookie101
    edited July 2018
    Options

I'm done chemo! I'm glad I finished. Part of me wishes I had the full dose, but my MO wouldn't have let me continue at the full dose. He even cautioned me about doing round 3. I did what I could, and I am so thankful he worked with me to find a balance that didn't kill me, tried to not leave me with lasting damage, yet let me finish all rounds. As I've been told, the MO's job is to kill the cancer not the patient. :) This round still knocked me off my feet, and I am slowly recovering. Upwards and onwards!

• jazzygirl
    edited July 2018
    Options

ToughCookie- congrats on being done with chemo. Do you have any other treatment to complete or is this it? Feeling better after all this takes WAY LONGER than you may expect so be patient with yourself. You will have more good days than bad with time. The docs are really good about knowing how much you can tolerate and it sounds like yours was on top of it.

Hoping you are feeling a bit better every day going forward!

• ToughCookie101
    edited July 2018
    Options

Thanks Jazzy! My MO is great! I have 5-10 years of Tamoxifen, Zoladex (injection every three months) and Zometa (infusion every six months for three years) as my MO like some the results of the ABCSG12 which combine all these in premenopausal hormone positive breast cancer patient said.

• ToughCookie101
    edited July 2018
    Options

I have a couple more surgeries too, including a prophylactic mastect

• jazzygirl
    edited July 2018
    Options

Tough Cookie- you keep going strong sister. When is your next surgery or maybe not planned yet?

• jinx27
    jinx27 Member Posts: 119
    edited July 2018
    Options

Funny dating story,

I usually tell guys about the whole cancer thing at the first or second date. Last month I told of my date about it after he parked in front of my home to drop me off. He couldnt stop looking at my top after that lol. So I said to myself you know what just show him.

I honestly dont know what came over me but I wanted to let him know I was still human with a few cuts and scars. So I showed him my breasts in a non sexual way. He was amazed. To bad we didnt work out lol He got a free show lol

Sending love to everyone here. We will find love!!

I had a double mx with reconstruction and I love my breasts, make sure you go over all of your surgery options. You want them to look their best.

• jazzygirl
    edited July 2018
    Options

Jinx- I think that is really great what you did. At some point, we have to put ourselves back out there and not be afraid to share our story or our bodies. Showing him your reconstruction was a brave thing to do, but also a positive move on your part for your healing/ability to move forward.

We all have that first person we do this with, knowing it may not be the person who sticks around for the longer term. I had one of those same experiences last year and sort of knew it probably would not go anywhere serious, yet I also knew what happened had purpose. If nothing else, it gets you through just telling (and showing) a potential partner all you have been through.

Proud of you sister!

• juneping
    juneping Member Posts: 634
    edited August 2018
    Options

Jinx....that's very brave of you. i think we have to be comfortable with what we have and went thru. if we don't accept ourselves, who will....

• Enerva
    edited October 2018
    Options

hi ladies

Just wanted to check in

All ok on my side still with no interest on finding love lol

How is everybody?

• jinx27
    jinx27 Member Posts: 119
    edited October 2018
    Options

Im still here, trying to manage side effects and live my life. How are you?

• jazzygirl
    edited October 2018
    Options

The balloon fiesta is starting today here in ABQ, and her is a live feed if you are interested to see what it is all about!

• Enerva
    edited October 2018
    Options

hi all ok at my end

Jazz that event looks so much fun

Well my joint pain is bad now that winter is approaching but I keep telling myself is just 6 months lol

• grayeyes
    grayeyes Member Posts: 533
    edited October 2018
    Options

How's everyone here doing?  I haven't posted for a long time (more than a year).  I hope you're all doing well.

• jazzygirl
    edited October 2018
    Options

Nice to see you here friend and hope all is well? How is the family?

I am doing well and busy with my new contract. We are in late fall here in NM and the cottonwoods are all turning their deep yellows. Hard to believe November is right around the corner.

Our thread here is not too busy anymore but will see who else pops in?

• notbrokenjustbent
    edited October 2018
    Options

Hey guys, popping in as well. I don't come to the boards much being over 5 years out from surgery but I am goofing off and procrastinating. The things I need to do are unpleasant and would rather check in with my buddies here.

As to single life I have more family here than can accommodate and enjoy at the moment. It just reaffirms that I have nothing to offer a soul mate as I enjoy my solitude and people on my terms and at my convenience. I will say that I have developed a friendship with a married man. I enjoy him immensely and whatever void I feel from lack of male companionship he fulfills. He is a happy fella, he centers me and we have much in common. I will say in the past male friends have never turned out well. I am uncomfortable with his recent hugs when he sees me and then when leaving. I kinda hang all limp and don't hug back and he laughs and says I am silly and that is what friends do, but I would not like my husband hugging a divorced woman. I find it inappropriate and have long made my intentions of being happily single perfectly clear. I seriously don't want to lose his friendship though. I have no sexual desire but he makes me happy. Time will tell his intensions and if he can be happy with status quo.

• Enerva
    edited November 2018
    Options

hi friends

Well nice to see you here. We have been absent for a while. I will try to check in more often now that I have some time due to old friend winter lol

I usually go to the calling type arthritis forum to share my crocheting pieces lol

As per love life well nobroken I heard you I have my Italian friend Enzo he has been my best friend for many years and when ever I feel I need the Male talk I can grab a coffee at his parents place who i adore and then i get to see him and we chat and laugh at stuff. It is funny how we get use to our single life and it can be very good

Specially when married people vent to us about their day to day issues?

I am ok so far feeling a bit down due to December is around the corner and that brings many sad memories it will also be a year since my stage 4 diagnosis so not a month i care about SickTired

My family will be happy to receive 4 huge boxes I have sent for xtmas but also dealing with the fact that it ll be a year of my sister been in a bed. This morning she was hysteric and upset crying etc

Is just so hard for all of them. I guess I just have to keep positive that December will go away fast

Hope all is well for every body here

Right now I am baking bread and my place smell amazing. I love the bread smell and xant wqit to have some.

• jazzygirl
    edited November 2018
    Options

E- sorry to hear your sister is struggling. I know your family is continuing to have tough times in Venezuela. Sending much love to you. Four big boxes sound like a wonderful thing to get in the mail!

The cancerversary dates get seared into our memory forever, don't they? I can remember my dx date, surgery date (anniverary for that is coming up), the dates I did rads, the dates I started and finished AI therapy. It will be with me forever. I hope you are continuing to feel well, but understand how that upcoming date can really throw a person off.

I am always happy to get to the New Year myself. I love the fall and good through Thanksgiving (coming up here int her in the US in a few more weeks) but can live without most of the rest. My favorite holiday ritual is a yoga practice for the winter solstice where we bless all that has been in this year, let go of what we need to and clear the way for new things to enter in 2019. It is a wonderfully cleansing process.

Holidays are tough time for many. Hugs sister Heart

• notbrokenjustbent
    edited November 2018
    Options

I hear ya. Even though I have my kids, the holidays are not what they use to be and I too would just assume skip them altogether. I muddle thru but it is hardly a festive celebration.

E, you have a heart of gold. Yes, your boxes will go far to brighten your family's holiday. As to your dear sister, ugh....I can't even imagine how she must struggle. Fortunately she was blessed with such a loving family but clearly it is very difficult for them as well. I use to believe that in everyone's lives there is an equal amount of pain and joy but that was when I was young and naïve. Today I can make no sense of anything.

E, let us know how your upcoming MO appointment goes. Also to be overly cautious mention your back issue. Everyone I know has some measure of back problems and the cold weather just aggravates it. You have been very busy with the cottage and doing much physical labor but none the less mention it to the doc.

I have had a miserable week but next week should be better. Jazz, the new year is always a time for my self reflection and to look back on the past year and establish some expectations for the new. Unfortunately I fell very short of my goals and was far too consumed and focused on others but I wouldn't have changed a thing. Maybe 2019 will be my year for me?

• grayeyes
    grayeyes Member Posts: 533
    edited November 2018
    Options

Enerva,

I'm sorry to hear of the new diagnosis, but happy to hear your doctors are managing it.  

And I see that, in the midst of everything you're going through right now, you're still thinking of everyone else, sending boxes to your family.  You and your family have been through so much together, and you have so much love for each other.  The treatment available in Canada is good, though - right? - and there are many new treatments available now. 

Yes, thank the lucky stars that you're single.  The last thing you need right now is drama - like the divorce drama so many of us went through.  Couples can look so happy together, but you never really know what's happening behind closed doors.  Remember the woman who posted here that, at stage 4, her husband left, drained all the bank accounts, even her children's college funds, and moved in with another woman?  She visited briefly and then disappeared from the forum.  Hope she's okay.  

We gained an hour here with the time change, yet I'm still suffering from insomnia.  Hope you're having an easier time finding sleep.

Talk to you all later.

• jazzygirl
    edited November 2018
    Options

Just wanting to wish all my US friends here a good Thanksgiving whether you are spending it with family or friends, or just relaxing at home on your own this coming week.