Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Member of the "6 Month Watchful Waiting Club", Unite!

Options

Comments

• tinkerbell49
    tinkerbell49 Member Posts: 176
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hi ladies had my mammogram and it turned out to be 3D and I had an ultra sound. Everything good. Went to a lymphedema therapist today and she said we could probably reverse it. Only swelling in the left breast.

Desertstorm How did your mammogram turn out. Hopefully all good.

• djabi53
    djabi53 Member Posts: 97
    edited March 2017
    Options

So happy about your results Tinkerbell! Fingers crossed that your lymphedema will be reversed. Have a great weekend. I've been thinking about you and desertstorm. I go Monday morning.

Frankie

• tinkerbell49
    edited March 2017
    Options

Good luck Frankie and thank you for all your well wishes. Hope everything is good with you.

• momallthetime
    momallthetime Member Posts: 1,375
    edited March 2017
    Options

Tinkerbell great news! 3D is good, my Radiologist also had 3D. And you did the sono, good.

• djabi53
    djabi53 Member Posts: 97
    edited March 2017
    Options

just got home from bilateral diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound. No changes - all ok. Thank you for kind words, thoughts, and prayers

Frankie

• tinkerbell49
    edited March 2017
    Options

Frankie thats awesome!!!! Great news, now you can breath again. Thanks for keeping us posted.

ThumbsUp

• sarahsmom
    sarahsmom Member Posts: 276
    edited March 2017
    Options

So sorry I disappeared, had a trip and just now regrouping. Good news, Frankie and Tink - yay!!!

So I went into the mammo room last week expecting 3D and it was the regular machine, my Dr put the order in the wrong way!! After all of that stress! They couldn't fix it, so I just had the regular mammo since I was already there. I was called back today for an area in the left breast, said it was distorted and they can't see inside. This is the focal asymmetry I always have in that breast. Also there are some calcs but they think they're ok, they need to compare with my last films (we had to request them from previous office since this is a new state/doc). My Dr called and said he was sorry, I should have had the 3D, his mistake, he's very nice so I'm not upset. Anyhow, I'll go back in soon and have more pics taken of that area. It was Birads 0. I am glad they're following up, the BIRADS 2, "we can't see in there but think all is well, now go away" is always irritating! I am thankful for the follow up.

I'll keep you posted, thank you for being here ladies!!!

• momallthetime
    edited March 2017
    Options

How irritating to say the least. If you are going back could they use the 3D? And if they see calcifications would it not be prudent to do a sono? That's what was recommended for my DD another time. Also, you should ask what type of calcifications they are, they should tell you, then you could ck for yourself, some are b9 some have to be biopsied. and you cou I don't mean to scare you, but I have had so many mishaps with docs, I am not inclined to give them breaks. Also, if images were done at a different place, different year would be gr8 to have a baseline in this place. Are your breasts dense? If so, that for sure makes it hard to distinguish in mamo what's what, and for sure if it's not a 3D. Wish you the best.

• sarahsmom
    edited March 2017
    Options

Thanks, Momallthetime!! I agree - I've had terrible experiences with my mammos through the years and I am a huge skeptic.

Here's what they said - looks like I'll get more xrays and hopefully ultrasound, I will push for it, I agree with you! I found out that tomosynthesis means 3 D imaging, who knew? :-)

Thank you for your kind note <3

IMPRESSION: BIRADS CATEGORY 0: INCOMPLETE EVALUATION: NEED ADDITIONAL IMAGING EVALUATION The multiple calcifications in the left breast in the nipple and central to the nipple in the retroareolar region are indeterminate. Mediolateral and magnification views are recommended. The asymmetry in the left breast middle depth central to the nipple seen on the craniocaudal view only is indeterminate. Spot compression, rolled lateral, and rolled medial views as well as additional views with possible ultrasound are recommended.The tissue of both breasts is extremely dense, which lowers the sensitivity of mammography. Recommend annual tomosynthesis.

• momallthetime
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hi, just saw this. First of, it's irresponsible of them, if they know that you have dense breasts they should recommend ultrasound, period. It's a very well known fact, that mamo cannot in itself get all details in such case. Multiple calcifications is not English. It should say if it's clustered, if it's difuse, if it's many, few, linear etc…, if they can't determine any of it in mamo, for sure they should have told you right away to do a sono.

It makes me so angry. I am not sure I am impressed with this place. Are they specialized in Breast care or all types of scans? Also, by xray you mean mamo right? Because an xray itself is not what you mean.

This is from my experience, also look at this site, he is pretty good and easy to understand, well almost. It will give you more to think about. I am sorry I went to sleep, and did not see your reply. http://breast-cancer.ca/bi-rads/ and any other info about mamo, calcifications, mri etc…

http://www.radiologyassistant.nl/en/p4793bfde0ed53/breast-calcifications-differential-diagnosis.htmllove this site also for clarifications.

• momallthetime
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hi desertstorm cheking in on you.

• sarahsmom
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hi momallthetime, thank you so much! I agree on the everything you said. The verbiage on the calcs is not specific at all, so frustrating. And I agree, they should have figured out how to do the 3 D for me, my records clearly stated very dense breasts. I did mean mammo vice xray, I have an appt at 11AM Monday, they will do a few more pictures and also do an ultrasound. Thank you for these two websites, very helpful!! Yes, I am not impressed so far with this place. It is very modern and the most cutting edge healthcare in my area, and located in cancer center, which is part of a huge teaching hospital.So I have high hopes, we'll see.

Something interesting - I had a ductal excision on the left breast with 2 papillomas. I thought the doctor took all of the ducts, but maybe not. Also, the military lost my files and had to reconstruct, they verbally told me ADH after the pathology, but there's nothing in my records about the path report. Sigh.

Thankfully I know the right questions to ask when I go back and I will be very persistent with them!

Thanks again for your support and for being here!!

• momallthetime
    edited March 2017
    Options

Hey sweetie, these losing stuff is inexcusable. If you had an excision did they send it for pathology? And if it's so maybe you could get hold of that place, and they could send you the records? There is gotta be a record of the excision, maybe you could get that from files, it could be tiring, but it's a possibility, if you get a half decent person on the phone that might be helpful.

Also,this time around when you do go back, you could ask for the CD's, in a "normal" place they should be able to hand it to you while you wait, and ask them to fax best or if not send to you the report. So if you will have to go for opinions you would not have to go back and beg then they should give it to you. Get them to tell you what they see about the calcifications k, so you could do some homework, ask to speak with the Radiologist. (no soap/deodorant)

Wishing you good luck, i'll check in on Monday then.

• sarahsmom
    edited March 2017
    Options

6 more mammo pics and we're Birads 2, as usual.The doctor did explain that I have scattered microcalcs throughout my breast, none look suspicious on their own and none are clustering, branching, etc. So we'll just be doing 3D pictures rom now on and she thinks going back to annual screenings is ok as long as nothing changes. Moving on now to the "congrats you justturned 50" colonoscopy, LOL! It's always something.

• momallthetime
    edited March 2017
    Options

Good for you, SarahsMom

Desertstorm how is it going?

• SugarMag
    SugarMag Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2017
    Options

so after 3 years of 6 month monitoring for calcifications, papilloma's and a radial scar. (too many biopsies and 2 excisional) I was finally graduated to yearly monitoring! I was ecstatic..... until I got the dreaded recall for further images/ultrasound. ugh.

• lioness37
    lioness37 Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2017
    Options

How does one go about getting a copy of the MRI report after the procedure is done? I really don't want to wait a week or more for results?

• momallthetime
    edited March 2017
    Options

lioness37 can you be more specific. Did you do it already? Gonna have it done? If you didn't do it yet, you should ask for the CD at the time of the procedure, usually there is no charge nowadays. Then ask them to fax to you the report. It's yours. It should be done if not the next day then at least in 2 days. Or if they want to send it to the doc, either you could ask them to send your PCP is you think you could get hold of them faster or the Gyno. It's yours, as in any other reports. You are entitled to have it. And not wait a week. It's not acceptable. The same goes for Mamo results, ultrasound, and blood tests. Even biopsy reports. Some places insist doc has it first, in case you wanna kill yourself ;(, they are just crazy, but anyway, from doc it should for sure not be an issue.

• momallthetime
    edited March 2017
    Options

sugarmag following. At least they are being thorough. Let us know. Good luck.

• lioness37
    lioness37 Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2017
    Options

Thanks momalthetime.....going to have it done in a few months, I will ask them to fax it me and ask for the CD.

• SugarMag
    edited March 2017
    Options

Had the diagnostic done today. The calcs were lining up but he said they were peculiar... fabulous. He said they were lining up in stacks, kinda like this:

Who knows, wait and wait some more for the radiologist to read the films, then probably off to yet another stereotactic. Thanks for listening <3

• momallthetime
    edited March 2017
    Options

Sugarmag that's interesting I must say. Here is a link to some understanding of microcalcifications: http://breast-cancer.ca/micro-overviews/ I am not quite sure about this type. Let us know k, hope you get info soon!

• sarahsmom
    edited April 2017
    Options

I just received the written report in my online medical records and I was BIRADS 3, not 2 as I was told on the phone, not that it matters very much! Just interesting, there's always some twist and turn on these things...

Hi momallthetime, I changed my name from desertstorm to sarahsmom :-)

Sugarmag - those are interesting patterns! How long was it since your last mammo, I was wondering how long it takes for these microcalcs to form? Thanks for any info.

Hope you all have a nice weekend <3

• momallthetime
    edited April 2017
    Options

layered microcalcifications Sugarmag that's what I found in this site:http://breast-cancer.ca/bi-rads/

they call it microcalcifications layered

Sarahsmom hey thanks for the update. Good for ya. Colonoscopy it is. Take good care.

• SugarMag
    edited April 2017
    Options

@SarasMom - I've been going every 6 months with the last, being just a month prior to the call back. He had just promoted me to annuals... I wouldn't know how long it took them to form, he may have missed them on previous films.

@momallthetime - Thanks for the link! I will check it out, I'm by no means a radiologist but, mine looked different (I saw the images). No calls or letters yet, so we have to wait and see. At the very least, I'm back in 4 months again...

• momallthetime
    edited April 2017
    Options

let us know. thinking the best.

• NicolaSue
    NicolaSue Member Posts: 18
    edited April 2017
    Options

Can anyone help? I'm in the Uk, just diagnosed with LCIS and learning slowly. I'm under one of our cancer hospitals for LCIS and the next step will be a mammogram one year after LCIS excision biopsy (Feb 2018). However as part of our National Health Service I will also get invited for a standard mammo that all women get in my age group in about August 2016. I could simply pass up that screen and inform them that I will be going to the cancer hospital next Spring, or I can just take up both mammos. is there any reason to NOT have two mammos 6 months apart? I'm not sure of the amount of radiation and thus whether it could do more harm than good. Sorry for my ignorance! Nicola Sue

• Unknown
    edited April 2017
    Options

Just wanted to say "hello" and join the "club".

I had my first mammogram 6 month ago (which was clear) and had my first MRI last week. An area of concern was seen and I have another MRI and biopsy scheduled for Monday morning. :(

Glad this thread exists. Helps to know there are so many out there following the same protocol.

• vgauthier
    vgauthier Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2017
    Options

I'm not sure about having two mammos in one year. I'm in the US and was recently diagnosed with LCIS. Because of my high risk factors, I get an MRI (just had my first one and getting the results tomorrow) and a tomogram each year, 6 months apart. I would check with your doctor to see if he/she recommends two mammos in a year.

• SugarMag
    edited April 2017
    Options

Welp, after waiting a month to hear back from the BS/Radiologist re: my diagnostic return mamo, I called them. Guess what? I need a stereo and couldn't explain when they received the recommendation and/or letter from radiologist. They "thought" they had called me. I took the number and made my appointment. Headed in this Thursday...grrrrrr.