Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Hot Flash Forum!

Options

Comments

• glennie19
    glennie19 Member Posts: 4,831
    edited March 2015
    Options

You sound like me.  I suddenly feel ill,,,, not like I'm going to throw up or anything, but just crappy.  That "oh I think I'm getting the flu or something" feeling. I get hot and sweat, and then I have the chills.  I don't come close to passing out,, but I do feel really crappy, like I want to lay down.

• scvmom65
    scvmom65 Member Posts: 16
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi rlee,

Yep, that is how I feel too. When I first starting getting them I described them also as the feeling if you got really scared. What helped me is finding out what triggers them. I still get them but far far far less of them since I realized somethings that trigger them. One of them is chocolate for me :( Even one little square and hot flash city starts 30 mins later. Why doesn't some doctor put a correlation between doing housework and hot flashes so we can all get out of it, haha. I wish you the best of luck in your journey.

Anna

• formydaughter
    formydaughter Member Posts: 121
    edited March 2015
    Options

I feel that way too. I get nausea and it kind of feels like pre-panic attack Visal vagal response. The chills I had not expected.

I hadn't thought about triggers. I'm still changing meds, so my body is chaotic. But I'll maybe start a journal about it with my food and med intake to figure it out. Thanks Anna for the inspiration

• lala1
    lala1 Member Posts: 974
    edited March 2015
    Options

I have the same issue....I get lightheaded and slightly nauseous and then my heart seems to race a bit like I have to concentrate on breathing. Makes me feel like I need to sit down or else I'll pass out. Haven't ever actually passed out though. I will then start burping. Then I'll get kinda warm and prickly with a light sheen of sweat and then it's over. These things suck! Anyone tried Peridin-C for hot flashes?

• gemmafromlondon
    gemmafromlondon Member Posts: 46
    edited March 2015
    Options

"Light sheen of sweat' - ? That would be nice. I used to wake up with soaking, wet hair, running face, all over sweat and prickling -throw off bedclothes then freezing and feeling exhausted. Cover up and wait to settle down knowing it would all be all back in an hour or two. Don't know about triggers except any sudden movement or exertion. I keep a fan at hand when I do my face. Thankfully these dreadful flashes (flushes here in UK) seem to be subsiding a bit so I live in hope of them being less dreadful in time.

• CidneyI
    CidneyI Member Posts: 32
    edited March 2015
    Options

I am on Tamo and had to start taking Effexor for flashes. I found what works best for me is to take the Effexor in the morning because I felt like it was keeping me up at night when I was taking it in the evening. So, I take Effexor in the AM and tamo in the PM and seems to work really well. I am also on Linzess for chronic constipation that tamo caused, UGH! The Effexor helped with the flashes about 85% which is tolerable for now.

• rleepac
    rleepac Member Posts: 193
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thank you for your descriptions! I always assumed hot flashes were limited to getting hot and sweaty but never knew the rest of the symptoms that went along with it. The first time it happened I thought I was having a panic attack but I'd never have panic attacks before so that didn't make sense!

Mine seem to be triggered by stress.

• Blownaway
    Blownaway Member Posts: 662
    edited March 2015
    Options

cidneyl - ditto

• bcky
    bcky Member Posts: 70
    edited March 2015
    Options

Since I started Tamoxifen last month I only experience hot flashes while sleeping. I think maybe because the Effexor wears off around early a.m (2/3a.m). I wake up some nights just hot. I pull the blankets off. Then I am chilled. Put blankets back on, Repeat. Some nights I don't notice too much the hot flash but wake up in the morning and my pjs are almost wet. Very moist with sweat. Long as the Tamox is working it is ok. Small price to pay. I also take an Ativan before I go to bed otherwise I cannot sleep. Lots of anxiety. I also thought I was having seizures in my sleep. Turns out my therapist explained the trauma and shock of BC/MX causes me to shake in my sleep. Animals when they experience shock and trauma shake uncontrollably but in broad daylight or in public whereas humans are more gaurded and concious so the body lets loose in sleep. I have been dxed with PTSD from BC.

• lala1
    edited March 2015
    Options

rleepac---My sister was just telling me the other day that she has one friend who called 911 to her house when she had her first hot flash cause she thought she was having a heart attack. She has another friend who was driving when she had her first, so she pulled over to the side of the road and called 911 and made them come get her and take her to the hospital!! I get very mild hot flashes but get pretty nauseous with heart palpitations whereas my friend just sweats to death. Guess we should be prepared for anything!!

• rleepac
    edited March 2015
    Options

Wow! I won't be calling 911 but I have to say the thought crossed my mind

• mjjones453
    mjjones453 Member Posts: 8
    edited March 2015
    Options

I was on Tamoxifen for 5 years with hot flashes that were moderate, that were pretty controllable with either Lyrica, or the second medication Celexa. I had a bilateral salpingo oopherectomy, officially putting me into menopause. Wow, Wow. I am so hot, and flushed to freezing cold. The doctor at my five year anniversary switched me to Anastrozole. He wanted to wait a month before prescribing me anything for hot flashes. I tried Black Cohash, NOTHING! Vitamin E, The Doctor strongly encouraged me to go off it,because it is not good for the heart, and other issues. How can anyone get good sleep! Does it really last 10 years for some people? I am praying hard for them to go away!

• Chrisrenee77
    Chrisrenee77 Member Posts: 693
    edited March 2015
    Options

mjjones- I am really loving the Paxil I've been on. It's been almost 5 months and I've not had 1 hot flash. It's wonderful. I used to never want to be on medications, but as long as I'm treating the BC I'm staying on it.

• mjjones453
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thank You Chrisrenee77, I will check into it!

• Blownaway
    edited March 2015
    Options

I am now 58 and went through menopause 10 years ago, then had complete hysterectomy.  My onco put me on Tamoxifen due to the osteoporosis.  I've been taking it for almost 2 months and so far no side effects to speak of.  I've had hot flashes/night sweats since April when B/C was diagnosed and the docs took away my Premarin. The hot flashes are not any worse or any better with the Tamoxifen.  I take Effexor (started at the lowest dose and have bumped it up now to 75 mgs - still not much relief for the hot flashes.  I intend to ask for another increase (not sure how long you have to wait between increases).  If that doesn't help eliminate the hot flashes, I sure wish someone would recommend something that helps them.  Summer is right around the corner.....

• lala1
    edited March 2015
    Options

Blownaway---I am 8 weeks po from hysterectomy with ovary removal and am taking Tamoxifen so I know how you feel!! I have very few side effects but am having issues with hot flashes at night. My MO won't let me take any HRT but offered Effexor which I declined as I'm trying to not take any more prescription drugs other than Tamoxifen. He did tell me I could try iCool, and I researched and found out about Peridin-C which he said was ok too. I'm also going to ask him about sage tablets.

• rleepac
    edited March 2015
    Options

They like to give SSRI/SNRI's a good 4 weeks before increasing dosage.

• lala1
    edited March 2015
    Options

I met with my holistic doc on Fri about my hot flashes. He strongly recommended against taking the Peridin-C or iCool since I'm on Tamoxifen. He did suggest that I take Ashwagandha. He said it would help me sleep through the hot flashes. He researched the other things and said although there isn't any literature that says they negatively effect Tamoxifen, there is also no literature saying they don't. My holistic doc and my MO are worlds apart on what I can and can't take/eat for breast cancer so I just continue to mull through all the info.

• JLF
    JLF Member Posts: 21
    edited March 2015
    Options

Bcky you are describing exactly what has been happening to me at night. I've been taking Tamoxifen for about 3 weeks. I take Trazadone to help with sleep but have been waking up around 2, then again around 4. Hot clammy flashes, blankets off, then chills, blankets on. Also during the day the hot facial flushing sneaks up on me. I already have facial flushing issues so now it's even worse :-(. I'm already on Lexapro but I may ask to switch to Effexor as it sounds like that may help more?

• ganzgirl2010
    ganzgirl2010 Member Posts: 56
    edited March 2015
    Options

I was on tamox for 3 days and couldn't deal with the hot flashes. Like a lot of women are saying, I too, woke up every hour if I was even able to sleep, with horrible hot flashes. Blankets on, blankets off, repeat ALL NIGHT. After three nights of this and no sleep I called my onc and said I was DONE with it. She wants me to start arimidex but Im scared to death of it because of the se's I read about ...my pcp put me on 150 mg's of Effexor but I don't think it helps...I have been off tamox now for 2 weeks and Im STILL have warm flushes at night and thru out the day. I didn't have any of this before I started tamox

• Blownaway
    edited March 2015
    Options

Just bumped up the Effexor to 150 mg. - sure hope this does the trick.

• CidneyI
    CidneyI Member Posts: 32
    edited March 2015
    Options

I think I may need to increase my mg on the Effexor. Seems like it was really helping with the hot flashes and night sweats in the beginning but now I feel clammy or sweaty all the time. I could swear my bed sheets were damp when I got into the bed the other night - it was me! I had to get my husband to install a ceiling fan in the kitchen because it just became too much to slave over a hot stove. All winter long, I cooked with the back kithcne door open while poor hubby stayed bundled up!

I hate that internal feeling you get when a hot flash is about to happen. I swear, its like the pilot light just kicked the heater on. As soon as I get that feeling, I start stripping! lol

• jjontario
    jjontario Member Posts: 156
    edited March 2015
    Options

Are the hot flashes mainly at night for everyone? I'm fine all day but at night I'm constantly sweating or freezing. It's driving me (and DH) insane.

Also, I get these internal cold shivers during the day. The only way to get warm is to jump into a hot bath. I really need a thermostat adjustment !!!

• Scottiemom11
    Scottiemom11 Member Posts: 1,072
    edited March 2015
    Options

JJOntario Mine are mostly at night. I get a few at work and have to turn my fan on. Also keep a sweater for when I'm alternating freezing. The night flashes are also driving me and DH crazy. Keep hoping I'll adjust. May have to up my Gabapentin again though. Uggh. Lupron + Tamox bites.

Scottie

• glennie19
    glennie19 Member Posts: 4,831
    edited March 2015
    Options

Mine are mostly in the evening and at night too. Most of the day I'm fine,, there might be one or two,, but nothing like later on.

• JLF
    JLF Member Posts: 21
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hot flashes are mostly at night. During the day I get facial flushing attacks once or twice...

• mjjones453
    edited March 2015
    Options

JJOntario, I am experiencing the same, I am with in a hot flash, or freezing! I don't have any normal temperature! It is so frustrating! If I put on a sweater I start flashing, when I take it off I freeze! I feel cursed

• GrandmaV
    GrandmaV Member Posts: 1,045
    edited March 2015
    Options

My hot flashes improved when I started drinking more water.  I discovered that we're suppose to have 1/2 ounce per pound of body weight (WebMD) It took some time to get up to 3 quarts a day but now that I drink that much, I crave water. 

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,879
    edited April 2015
    Options

Bump

• farmerlucy
    farmerlucy Member Posts: 596
    edited April 2015
    Options

Hey sas! (me waving) I had my bilateral ooph last week and while I do have a few more HFs it hasn't been bad, At 54 you'd think the ole ovaries would be about shot anyway. SillyHeart