Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Survivors who had chemo etc and are into Complementary medicine

Options

Comments

• painterly
    painterly Member Posts: 266
    edited September 2011
    Options

Hi Ruth,

A breast cancer friend gave me this recipe and it's dead simple and I cook it twice per week because of its simplicitySmile

She used salmon, but I typically use de-boned cod.....

Ingredients:

your choice of fish (enough fish for two people)

one organic lemon (it has to be organic because you leave the rind/skin on in the cooking process)

Place olive oil in a casserole. Place your fish in the casserole, add iodised sea salt (or waterever salt you prefer). Coat the fish in the olive oil/salt.

Thinly slice the organic lemon, with the rind/skin left on. Place the thinly sliced lemon over the fish and pop into the oven and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

We love it...especially since it is in the oven in very little time...

• omaz
    omaz Member Posts: 4,218
    edited September 2011
    Options
    painterlly - I'm gonna try that!
  • ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,003
    edited September 2011
    Options

Thank you all! DH has been catching fish and I have a freezer full. Now I have some yummy new ideas!

• omaz
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Anyone know anything about rose hip tea as a source of vitamin C?
  • lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    edited October 2011
    Options

Ruth you can bake fish.

Haddock, Cod or Schod: Mix together some Dijon mustard and low fat mayo then spread on top of fish. Sprinkle bread crumbs on top and bake

or

place fish in tin foil with summer squash, zucchini, tomatoes and mushrooms and parsley.  Close up foil and bake.

-------------------------------

for fish like Salmon or Red Snapper I just mix up olive oil, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, Cajun seasoning, parsley, black pepper and spoon on top. I sometimes add some onion on top of that and bake.

------------------------------

I haven't tried this yet but it sounded good: 

Salmon with Sesame and Orange-Ginger Relish

Ingredients
    • 1/3 C dry white wine
    • 1/3 C fresh orange juice
    • 2 1/2 Tbs soy sauce
    • 1 2 1/2-pound salmon fillet
    • 3 large navel oranges
    • 1/2 C matchstick-size strips red pepper
    • 1/2 C thinly sliced red onion
    • 2 1/2 Tbs chopped fresh cilantro
    • 2 tsp minced peeled fresh ginger
    • 2 tsp grated orange peel
    • 1 tps oriental sesame oil
    • 1/2 tps coarse kosher salt
    • 1/4 tps dried crushed red pepper
    • Vegetable oil
    • 1 tps sesame seeds, toasted

Directions
    1. Whisk first 3 ingredients in small bowl to blend; transfer to 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Place salmon, skin side up, in orange juice mixture; cover with plastic and chill at least 2 hours and up to 4 hours. Bring to room temperature 30 minutes before cooking.

2. Using small sharp knife, cut peel and white pith from oranges. Working over bowl, cut between membranes to release segments into bowl.

3. Mix red pepper and next 7 ingredients in medium bowl to blend. Fold in reserved orange segments and any accumulated juices.
    (Can be prepared 1 hour ahead. Let stand at room temperature.)

4. Preheat oven to 450°F. Line rimmed baking sheet with foil; generously brush with vegetable oil. Place fish, skin side down, on prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake until fish is just opaque in center, about 20 minutes. Using large spatula, gently loosen salmon from foil. Using foil as aid, carefully lift salmon from sheet and allow salmon to slide from foil onto platter. Mound orange relish down center of fish, sprinkle with sesame seeds, and serve.

• omaz
    edited October 2011
    Options
    lago - how long would you cook a piece of salmon with vegies and what temp?
  • lago
    edited October 2011
    Options

I usually cook at 400 degrees. Fish doesn't take a  long time to cook. I tend to like fish like tuna on the rare side. I would say around 20 minutes plus or minus depending on the fish and size. It depends on your oven too. You need to check it. The nice thing about cooking with olive oil or poaching in the foil is there is less of a tendency to dry out.

Sorry cooking isn't an exact science. You will just have to check it till you get the feel of your oven.

• ruthbru
    edited October 2011
    Options

Yum! Thank you so much.

• lago
    edited October 2011
    Options

It may say Chicago under my  photo but I really grew up 20 minutes SE of Boston / 1 hour from Cape Cod. I love fish & seafood!

• suzieq60
    suzieq60 Member Posts: 1,422
    edited October 2011
    Options

Hi girls - checking in after a long time away from this thread. I had my mri, mammo and ultrasound yesterday and everything looks good - big relief!!! I also had a thyroid ultrasound and it will be interesting to see if my taking kelp tablets twice a day has shrunk my goitre at all - I'll find out next week. We recently got back from a big 6 week trip to the UK and Paris and you should have seen the bag of pills I took with me!! My carryon bag rattled.

Good to see the thread still going strong.

Sue

• ruthbru
    edited October 2011
    Options

Congratulations on your reports Susie. Sounds like a fun trip, pills and all!

• omaz
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Hi /Sue = Sounds like a grand trip!!  Glad you got the all clear. 
  • suzieq60
    edited October 2011
    Options

Thanks Girls - the MRI result is not final yet but their first analysis said it was ok, so I hope don't get any surprises when I see the surgeon this week.

• ruthbru
    edited October 2011
    Options

Let us know!

Here's something I just read in a magazine today:
    Florida State universary researchers found that women who eat 6 to 10 prunes a day have significantly higher bone density than women who nosh on other fruit. "Prunes are rich in potassium and boron, which are known to increase bone mass," says study lead author Bahram H. Arjamndi.

• suzieq60
    edited October 2011
    Options

I'd better buy some - I do like them.

• omaz
    edited October 2011
    Options
    Thanks for the tip Ruthbru!
  • ruthbru
    edited October 2011
    Options

I throw mine in my morning oatmeal (which I also started eating after all of this).

• lago
    edited October 2011
    Options
    hillck you may be eating enough. I find it hard to believe that a petite woman 5' 4" should be eating the same amount prunes as a 5' 10" athletic build woman.
  • lago
    edited October 2011
    Options

I'm 5'6" with a small build. Not sure if I want to add 200+ calories a day either.

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    edited October 2011
    Options

I like prunes, I need to gain weight and my testosterone does not even register which puts me at a higher risk for osteoporosis so I think I'll give the prunes a try, what do I have to loose.

• sdstarfish
    sdstarfish Member Posts: 38
    edited October 2011
    Options

Claire, I loved your post!

I also have wine on occasion. When I'm at home, I pour half a glass and save the other half for later in the evening. But if I'm out for a special occasion, I may have a bit more. The key to wine and other treats is that if you're doing good things for your body on a consistent basis, then when you do treat yourself, it will not have as bg an effect. More fiber = get ride of it quicker, more veggies = more alkaline, etc.

Lisa

www.pinkkitchen.info 

• suzieq60
    edited December 2011
    Options

Bump

Turns out taking kelp hasn't shrunk my goitre - good news is the the thyroid biopsy was clear.

Sue

• omaz
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Hi sue - Glad you bumped the thread.  Must be summer there again - it's moving into winter here again.
  • suzieq60
    edited December 2011
    Options

It is summer, but we are having a rather cool day - impending rain but where it is nobody knows - they just keep promising.

• adgirl5
    adgirl5 Member Posts: 37
    edited May 2012
    Options

Hey all, GREAT topic & wonderful thread!  I am a little over 2 months out from BMX surgery following chemo, Taxol  (which was aborted due to mass growth) and FEC x 6 every 21 days, for triple negative bc.  Still a little sluggish in the exercise dept & am working on that.  I do a lot of walking but not consistently enough.  I've always been pretty athletic with a slender build.  Right now I could use a few extra pounds.  I eat vegetable like they're going out of style and certain fruits.. some organic, some not. I cut out all white foods 12 years ago and have always been a big water drinker- In fact, that's all I drink besides a morning cup of java.  I sometimes add lemon or lime to filtered water.

From what I've researched.. calcium, magnesium and flaxseed oil are better taken at night.  For insomnia, magnesium which is depleted in our soil is a natural way to induce sleep and keep bowels regular.   Among a long litany of supplements,  6000 IUs of vit. D-3 nightly is at the top of my list.   Absorption is a big issue, so make sure you're taking the right mix of supplements together.  Plus take them on empty or full stomach depending on what it is. (read labels and do research)  I use curcumin w/black pepper fruit extract (piper nigrum) and split the doses morning and night. An anti-inflammatory diet and supplementation is SO important for us.

My MD Anderson onc. who is one of the top in the field of aggressive breast cancers highly recommends a low dose aspirin daily.  Sounds like many of you are already on to this.  I also recently read beta blockers may reduce recurrence.

I've tried to reduce stress, don't sweat the small stuff and laugh... A LOT.   I'll be 57 this Friday so one of the older in the group of TN'ers.  I also inherited the BRCA1 mutation from my maternal side and don't attribute getting BC to anything I was "doing wrong"... which I'm betting many of us questioned when we were diagnosed.

My best to all!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 1,017
    edited August 2012
    Options

Hi, adgirl

this thread has been dormant for quite a while, but I saw it on the Topics list - in case you haven't yet found it, there's also a 3N Forum, and another very valuable source of information at  http://www.tnbcfoundation.org/  Hope you're doing well.

• adgirl5
    adgirl5 Member Posts: 37
    edited May 2012
    Options

Thanks so much Sunflowers.  I love the TNBC foundation.org forum and am a member.. though thanks for the heads up this thread isn't active.  So nice of you!  I should've figured that out from the last post date :)

xxxooo

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    edited May 2012
    Options

I get a news letter from Natual News and tonight there will be a free live show with Dr. Keith Block, MD, Integrative Oncologist and Co-founder of the Block Center. Here is the link if anyone is interested in listening. I will unfornatley be on the road to my son's house so won't be able to listen in.

http://www.naturalhealth365.com/talkhourshow.html

• themusteach
    themusteach Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2017
    Options

Has anyone tried Dim or nac or calcium d glucarate for prevention of estro/progestro positive dcis?

I'm now in my 3rd diagnosis of dcis.....I was also prescribed tetracycline for acne which I took like candy during college AND was given other antibiotics for acne throughout my 20's ) sulfameth bactrum. My overall feeling is that this was all caused from overuse of them, but during those years we didn't know the fallout like we do now from overuse of antibiotics.

Any help would be great ladies- my cells have been damaged and I want to do the right thing!

Pam in Colorado

• mandy1313
    mandy1313 Member Posts: 978
    edited February 2017
    Options

Hi Pam

I sent you a private message.