Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Birads 4, concern or no concern

Options
2»

Comments

• Annette47
    Annette47 Member Posts: 108
    edited September 2016
    Options

Birads 4 usually has about an 80% chance of being benign, so the odds are in her favor, but she will most likely have to have a biopsy. It seems like if you go back and read this thread that a lot of people here with Birads 4 did end up having cancer (myself included) but that’s because the vast majority of the people who had benign results have no reason to be reading these boards anymore.

If it is micro-calcifications they are concerned about, the odds are that if it is cancer (and remember, there is an 80% chance it is not) that it has been caught early - either DCIS or early Stage 1 as those usually present as micro calcifications rather than a defined mass. And if that is the case, then her prognosis would be very good, so try to stay calm and upbeat about this ... the odds are very much in her favor.

Take it one step at a time ... find out about a biopsy, and try not to worry until you have the results back from that.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,982
    edited September 2016
    Options

Hi Cherry3, We understand that it must feel very scary to you. You may find this explanation helpful to understand BIRADS. One step at a time. Are the doctors recommending a biopsy?

• JXmom2
    JXmom2 Member Posts: 5
    edited September 2016
    Options

I found a big lump left breast on the 11th this month, went to my gyno the 12th he said at my age (27) it's prolly a fat patch/cyst but set me up with an ultra sound on the 20th.

So yesterday after ultra sound a dr comes in asked me my family history (2 aunts on dads side have BC, my dad prostate, my grandma on moms side Overian) then tells me it's a solid mass around 1.4 cm and when they see a mass they look for certain features and that I have the features he's concerned about and needs a biopsy.

So a nurse calls today and said it's quicker to get it done by radiology my apt is another week away. So more waiting. Iv just left a vm with my actual gyno office id like to talk to that nurse and see what they think of the ultra sound Drs notes, because the nurse at the breast center said he's concerned but didn't give me a rate 5.

So il be asking my nurse what my rating is and what they think.

Bottom line is waiting sucks.

• melissadallas
    melissadallas Member Posts: 929
    edited September 2016
    Options

JXMom, f they want to biopsy it is a 4 since they didn't give it a 5 and that means that there is a greater than 80% chance it is going to turn out benign.

• JXmom2
    edited September 2016
    Options

thank you for responding. It's nice to talk. I guess I'm worried because the ultra sound dr came in and said it has concerning features. When I checked out with the nurse I tried to get more info I got out of her that it's around 1.4cm irregular shaped with jagged edges, and has some unknown growth around it...and said its not a 5 because it's not like a hole finger is growing from it.... I was like well okay then...

Also I haven't got dr to see this part yet but I have little red dots breaking out on breast (about 5 very small)

The lump I have is on top of breast I found it by seeing it in the Mirror then felt it.

Hope all is well but the waiting sucks. My one aunt that had est + HER2 cancer wants me to get all info I can and she's coming with to biopsy so it's nice someone's trying to help me figure it out

• JXmom2
    edited September 2016
    Options

Hi ladys. I just got off phone with my actual Drs office the nurse let me ask questions and read the report to me.

My dr wanted my biopsy at Lincoln surgical but my insurence doesn't cover so he okayed that the radiologist do it for now.

The notes say it's a 4c suspicious abnormality of moderate concern at the 12 o'clock position with angular and in distinctive Margiens 1.3cm X 1.2cm X 1.2cm.

That's the most info they have. Can anyone reading give opinions or advice while I wait till next week. Thank you

• marie5890
    marie5890 Member Posts: 111
    edited September 2016
    Options

Best advice is to stay off researching Dr Google and keep busy doing other things.

My opinion? What is seen by your descriptions is concerning, though not to the point that it screams "cancer". Yours is one of those that really needs a biopsy to know what it is. It's not showing clear elements of it being B9, but that doesn't mean it isn't B9. It could very well be. It does have some characteristic that is more consistent with cancer, but that doesn't mean it is cancer.

The waiting is so hard, we know this. Try to keep distracted

• EIJ
    EIJ Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2016
    Options

Hi Apaige,

Had my routine mammogram and US, results was 4B. Had mammogram assisted core biopsy and it was B9. Hang in there!

Hugs

• pokie88
    pokie88 Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2016
    Options

i had 4 mammograms and followed by US since jan 2015- i had mammo on 10/21 and then mammo said birad 4 sent to surgeon he ordered US that said birad 4 with hypertrophy also report says 8 mm echogenic mass in auxiliary and 2.7 cm aux node- had excisional biopsy two days ago... the waiting is killing me! Anyone know what the hypertrophy and etc means or indicates?

• green71364
    green71364 Member Posts: 9
    edited November 2017
    Options

very helpful for us stressed out ladies

• Gaby1030
    Gaby1030 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2017
    Options

Someone help me please, i’m 29 y/old

It’s been a while since i felt this big lump on my left breast, went to the doctor and had and ultrasound done

The result is birads category 4, i’m scheduling for a biopsy today, don’t knkw what to wait for.

He said it looks like a fibroadenoma.

2 years ago i had my first mammogram and the diagnostic was a fibroadenoma birads category 3

Now is 4, i’m very worry about this, my mom was diagnosed with cancer at the age of 32, pass away at 42 with a very aggresive cancer.

My nipple has change, and it is really very unconfotable.

• Havefaith7
    Havefaith7 Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2018
    Options

hi ladies, I’m new here. I’m 42 yrs old. I recently suffered a miscarriage in February 2018. I was only 4 weeks pregnant. About 2 weeks after my miscarriage I started having pain in my right breast only. My gynecologist told me it may be hormonal so I should wait a few weeks to see if the pain stopped on it’s own. I wasn’t able to feel any lumps. Anyway the pain has been constant and persistent now for the last 3 months. I recently had ultrasound and MRI and they found a benign cyst and a 1.2 cm mass. Gave me a Birads 4. I’m getting my core needle biopsy done next Friday. Anyone else with a similar story? I’m so terrified.

• moderators
    edited May 2018
    Options

Havefaith7, we are sorry you are going through this! This forum is a bit older, so you may not get responses. One day at a time, and try to spend time distracting yourself. Sending you Medicating

• L1971
    L1971 Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2018
    Options

I have have had screening mammograms/diagnostic mammograms and US over last couple of years. This year they decided they needed to do biopsy on right side due to changes from prior tests. I spoke to surgeon last week before biopsy which was done today and he noted a 4-5% chance of malignancy leaning more towards intraductal papilloma. Any experience with this anyone. Can surgeons have a good idea what it may be just from looking at mammograms and Ultrasounds?

• Maw7
    Maw7 Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2018
    Options

I was just recently diagnosed birads4 my sire of a b or c but the report reads 1 cm solid hypoechoic mass with irregular microlobulated margin and peripheral color

I meet with breast surgeon for consultation of biopsy not sure if it will be done Tuesday or not

Just scared as well

• Cathy1975
    Cathy1975 Member Posts: 10
    edited June 2018
    Options

Hello I'm new here... My mammogram and ultrasound results are I have a 5×7.5mm hypoetic irregular solid lesion and a 5×9.5 mm starlatte solid mass in my right breast. My Bi-Rads category is a 4. My biopsies are scheduled for this Tuesday July 3rd.

Surgeon says she doesn't think it's cancer but can't rule it out until biopsies are done. Really worried... Making myself sick from it

• moderators
    edited June 2018
    Options

Loricombs and Cathy1975, sorry you have to go through this, but wanted to say welcome! We really hope biopsy results come back quick and clean. If it helps while you wait just letting you know that "In the United States, only about 20% of women who have biopsies turn out to have cancer", as you can read in our main site. You can learn more in the BIOPSY section of Breastcancer.org.

Good luck, and let us know how it all goes!

The Mods

• Cathy1975
    Cathy1975 Member Posts: 10
    edited June 2018
    Options

Thank you. I'm feeling very nervous.

• L1971
    edited July 2018
    Options

I know exactly what you're feeling. I had my biopsy on Friday and am waiting on results. Needless to say very anxious and I too am having a hard time eating or really functioning at all. Praying for you.

• L1971
    edited July 2018
    Options

Thank you for the encouraging words

• L1971
    edited July 2018
    Options

Thank you for the encouraging words

• ALovingDaughter
    ALovingDaughter Member Posts: 11
    edited September 2018
    Options

hi how are you? I noticed that you indicated you are at the most advanced stage. God bless! He will heal you

• nitya
    nitya Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2021
    Options

Update?