Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

TE TROUBLE

Comments

• redninrah
    redninrah Member Posts: 366
    edited September 2012

So I sat their patiently waiting for my ps. He actually didn't show up cuz he had to see an urgent case. So I saw his fellow. He explained that because the skin is not healthy due to radiation it's not healing and he suggested doing a graft from the back. I said no way I'm not doig any more surgeries, I told him to deflate me, and stitch me up and I would wait until it heals. Before I get expanded. These docs expand patients. Way too quick,and don't let incisions heal.

• Bonseye
    Bonseye Member Posts: 124
    edited September 2012

I had a tissue expander removed and went without for 6 months.  My PS was adamant about doing reconstruction before radiation using my own tissue.  He explained it had the best chance of surviving the radiation.  He was sooo right.  My  TRAM flap had no damage at all.  I had a burn....but it healed well.  Don't get me wrong... it felt like my "foob" would explode in the beginning.....I was afraid it would shrink up.  Nope-it all survived.  Hang in there.  

My prayers to you all suffering from infections. Mine took me by surprise and it was awful.  I am thinking of you all and hoping the replacements go well!

• ShaeG45
    ShaeG45 Member Posts: 21
    edited September 2012

Boy was that some great sleep!

I had that surgery as an outpatient so, I was sent home while still groggy. I remember talking to my PS afterwards but, I only remember that he said he had to remove the implant...the rest is a blur. I think he said it was because of the infection or maybe the skin? Either way I'm back at square one on the left side.

Bummer! We put a lot of tears & sweat in for nothing.

Oh well, so, after I heal we will try again. Although I cannot fathom the thought of another TE, what choice will I have? Maybe, it won't be as painful the second time around since the muscle had already been stretched? Just thinking out loud here.

Anyway, I feel fine, I am sleepy but that's all..besides, I never get sick under anesthesia and I am not in any terrible pain, probably 'cause nothing is there to cause any..

Oh, the guy that put me under said that ladies that have breast or gyn related surgeries are the ones who seem to have nausea afterward more than other surgeries for some reason.. Weird huh?

TTYL

• DLL66
    DLL66 Member Posts: 448
    edited September 2012

Awww, Shae! I am so sorry.

Redninrah, going slow is a good idea. Hope your rads side heals quickly.

• Rennasus
    Rennasus Member Posts: 642
    edited September 2012
    Shae, Red, GM, LilLadie and Moon: {{{hugs}}}
  • redninrah
    redninrah Member Posts: 366
    edited September 2012

So I'm deflated and stitched up. Have a follow up next we'd. I'm on antibiotics to prevent infection. I emailed my ps, just telling him of yesterday's outcome, and he basically said he thinks it's saveagable. So I'm hoping praying and fighting that this works, sometimes u gotta take control on matters. So I'm going to tell him to wait to expand me, by the way the 2nd time I had a te didn't hurt at all during the expansion.

• LilLadie
    LilLadie Member Posts: 22
    edited September 2012

Rennasus- thanks for the hug.

My prayers are with everyone who just had the surgeries or are about to.

Yesterday I broke down on my husband and let him know how down I am about this process. He was able to change his entire schedule to spend the day with me. He is also aware I joined this group recently and had me sit down and read this discussion. So I did and realized that "wow" this is a group of such strong women, even during the hardest of times! Further, there is light at the end of the tunnel. Once we reach that light i hope we will all be able to look back and be amazed with ourselves and what we have overcome, no matter our outcomes.

• LilLadie
    edited September 2012

Just curious, but how many of us had been or continued to be smokers during this process?My ps seems to think that may have been a possible reason I developed the infection. I was a smoker since I was 16, so about 17 years. ( minus my pregnancies)

• DLL66
    edited September 2012
    LilLadie, your positive attitude will serve you very well. Smile
  • LilLadie
    edited September 2012

DLL- Im actually having a good day and feel positive about everything today. I think joining this group is already helping me.

• bevg49
    bevg49 Member Posts: 461
    edited September 2012

As for the smoking, I quit a year ago and still had a hematoma, 2 emergency surgeries, my scar opened up from end to end (still in the process of healing), the loss of the TE which we can't even talk about for at least 6 more months....It's been one hard thing after another..... Damn, I need a smoke LOLOL.... (never).... On the other hand, my sister IS a smoker still.... She was talking to PS about DIEP until he found out she smoked at which point he said no way so I guess smoking and breast surg. do not mix....

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938
    edited September 2012

Well, don't beaqt yourselves up, I never smoked at all! So, that's obviously not the only reason.

• 1Curlyfry
    1Curlyfry Member Posts: 45
    edited September 2012

LilLadie, you are in the right place. I was lost when I lost my first TE. There was no one I could talk to and I felt I had to always have a brave face for my DH and kids. This is where I found people I could vent with and I could still be brave in front of my DH. We are here for you.

Now, A question for the rest of the ladies. I'm getting ready to schedule my third attempt at the TE placement. My new ID said I have to wash with a special soap and put some prescription stuff in my nose a few days before the surgery. Has anyone done this preparation to prevent infection? I've searched, but I don't see anything discussing this treatment. I wish I had asked more questions. I was a bit overwhelmed with the discussion.

Can anyone help?

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited September 2012

I had pretty severe necrosis over both breasts after BMX, which can happen to smokers, but I have never smoked.  There is something about it that seems to present complications for healing.

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801
    edited September 2012

1CurlyFry - I never had to have a TE replaced, but the night before my exchange surgery, I had to use these giant disposable antibacterial wipes over my whole body.

I used four wipes before bedtime, and had to put on a clean gown. Then I had to sleep in clean sheets. The next morning I had to get up and use the last two wipes all over my body, and dress in clean clothing.

I have heard of other ladies using special soaps to shower with before their surgery.

The nasal spray is probably to prevent MRSA and other staph infections. It is becoming more commonly used in hospitals prior to surgeries.

• moonflwr912
    edited September 2012

Curly, yep, special soap, nose drops, and swabbed my nostrils and tested for MRSA three weeks in a row , that was for my sinus surgery. Just the soap for my BMX. So well within the realm of normal! Redninah hope it works. Shae I spoke with my PS, and came up with a scenario for third try, we might go straight to a permanent implant, instead of TEs. I ESD already expanded beyond 500 so 600 might be possible without stretching. We' ll see. but there is hope, albeit 6 months or more down the road. Much love.

• bevg49
    bevg49 Member Posts: 461
    edited September 2012

A girl I worked with had a boob job, not reconstruction, just wanting them bigger.... Anyway, she got MRSA which spread to her hip, now she walks with a limp and needs a cane. They told her she would eventually need hip repacement.... She is 40 years old.... Hospital is a scary place these days. The outside temp when I was in the hosp was over 100 degrees. I needed 3 blankets to sleep because they kept the rooms so cold so the bacteria would be stopped from growing.... gotta be very careful....

• LilLadie
    edited September 2012

My ps says the past history of smoking can possibly create complications, especially a slower healing process. However, it seems like the question of why this happens to many of us cannot be answered because many have lived healthy lives.

I have always believed things happen for a reason. I don't know what that reason is yet. Maybe it's cause Im able stay on disability (not state) and be home with my girls through this entire process is complete.

Moonflwr- Are you thinking that just going to implant on the third try is the right decision for you?

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801
    edited September 2012

After my BMX (before I left Recovery), I sent my husband up to my hospital room to go over everything with Clorox wipes.

Let's just say that not everything was clean. UGH!!!! Yell (Imagine what we COULDN'T see!!!!)

• specialk
    edited September 2012

I started washing with Hibiclens several days prior to my exchange surgery, and I did not have infections issues - only skin healing challenges.  Didn't do the nose thing but I think that several of the ladies did - possibly momof3 and fluff if I remember correctly.  If you go back to the pages prior to their surgeries I think they discussed it - Mupirocin ointment I think.

• chickadee521
    chickadee521 Member Posts: 423
    edited September 2012

I am pretty sure both people SpecialK mentioned did put stuff in their nose.

healing thoughts for you ladies!

• ShaeG45
    ShaeG45 Member Posts: 21
    edited September 2012

Feeling kinda down today.

I have been thinking that maybe I should do a different recon altogether. Maybe a DIEP because this skin is so thin. I don't know, maybe the Lat Flap? I'm not sure but, I don't think my PS does microsurgery.. I will just have to wait til my follow-up on Wednesday to mull it over with him..

Thank y'all for your hugs and concerns.

Right back at cha!! :)

• DLL66
    edited September 2012

Hugs & good luck, Shae.

I had a skin failure with the TE on my non-rads side. The skin was so thin that my PS gave me the option of trying again with another TE or going straight to implant with a lat flap. Since he had already done a lat flap for me on my rads side, I opted for the lat flap with implant.

Whichever route you choose, you want a PS that is really experienced with that technique. 

• moonflwr912
    edited September 2012

Nosocomial infections. I just wanted to use my medical terminology! LOL. Hospital caused infections are going up. It pays to take precautions, that was good thinking Blessings.

Lil, I was going to explore going straight to permanent implants next time. I will fill up my right, a bit more, and when I am fully healed, talk to ps again about just putting in slightly smaller implants. I think he was going for 600- 700 , and I was already over 500 on both sides. So we will see. Got at least 6 months to figure it out.

• momof3infla
    momof3infla Member Posts: 333
    edited September 2012

Curlyfry, I did have to scrub down with Hibiclens antimicrobial soap for a week before my surgery, from the neck down. I even had my whole family do it (lol - paranoia?).  I bought a couple of foam soap dispensers and put a bottle of Hibiclens in each one so we could lather down haha. I also had to swab my nostrils with Mupirocin for a week before surgery. Everything went well, so I'm a believer!

Special K - just let me know if/when you want to check out the tattoo place in Oldsmar. Since I'm getting the nips in December, I won't be doing the tats until spring. We have plenty of time.

My friends are getting a kick out of my new shirt - "Yes they're fake, my real ones tried to kill me"  I have another one that's a size petite large (but it's really like a medium and was too small) if any of you ladies want it. Just PM me.

• specialk
    edited September 2012

momof3 - I'm ready anytime you want to go!

• LilLadie
    edited September 2012

Well i guess i freaked myself when i first joined, but i have good news! I went to the PS today he says the right TE looks perfectly fine. He wants to wait 6 months to put the left one back in. Hopefully the time will go by quick!!!

• LilLadie
    edited September 2012

Well i guess i freaked myself when i first joined, but i have good news! I went to the PS today he says the right TE looks perfectly fine. He wants to wait 6 months to put the left one back in. Hopefully the time will go by quick!!!

• tlew
    tlew Member Posts: 48
    edited September 2012

Yay lilladie! Good luck and hope time flies for you

• LilLadie
    edited September 2012