Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

TE TROUBLE

Comments

• Chrisrenee77
    Chrisrenee77 Member Posts: 693
    edited September 2012

i am doing somewhat better today. I go in for yet another dr visit tomorrow to hopefully get the drain tubes out, this coming up Tuesday will be week 4 if i don't get them out. I have not had anymore fevers, thank goodness. Still on antibiotics, still home.

Just a cute conversation I would like to share that I had with my mom this morning.

My mom (my hero) called me this morning to check on me, like she days 10 times a day (seriously). we are talking and she says "Jon (my hubby) sent her a text message last night wanting to know how I really am doing". My hubby works offshores as a paramedic he is gone 3wks at a time. My mom tells him" she's doing good stubborn still a pain in the ass, and I think a little depressed". So as she's telling me this she says" don't tell Jon I told you he text me, he didn't want you to know he was worried about you, the way he is. he wanted to know if he needed to come home and take care of you.

So regardless of how I really feel I am so blessed to have my AMAZING family and friends who would check on me and for the ones that go through my mom because they don't want to upset me.

Hope all is going well with everyone.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited September 2012

chrisrenee - what a nice story!  Those are the things that make us feel lucky even when we have some unlucky things happening!

• Rennasus
    Rennasus Member Posts: 642
    edited September 2012

thanks, all, for the shout outs. Every day gets a tiny bit better. I'm still napping every afternoon and getting my 8 hours at night and eating lots of protein and taking my colace. It's been 3 weeks and a day but who's counting! LOL.

GreenMonkey: A surgical vest provides compression. It's made of stretchy material and zips up tight. My PS always sends me home from the hospiaal in one. I have worn one for so many months over the course of all this that I'm thrilled I don't have to wear one any more! My PS told me I can start massage once my incision tape has fallen off. believe it or not, it is still on strong, on both sides, and it's been 3 weeks! He said he put it on extra strong this time.

chrisrenee, that is terrific!

• specialk
    edited September 2012

ren - yay for progress!

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,801
    edited September 2012

Thanks for the support everyone. I think things are getting better. I used a little steroid cream on the itchy rash and that seems to be fading quickly. My temp seems to be more stabilized. I quit taking it every hour. I did take a couple Tylenol today as I am still fairly sore and I finally decided I ad to get some things done and quit laying around.

My PS has been in surgery a lot this week, so he asked me to text him an update once a day and he did extend the antibiotics. I see him next Thursday unless something goes wrong before then.

I am not bruised nearly as badly this time, but it sure is sore!

I have some great "oomph" in the upper pole area. They look pretty sexy. Too bad they will probably shrink some in the upcoming months. But whatever happens now, I am done! Unless replacements are needed, I am taking what I hope will be a long surgical break.

Great stories everyone. Family and friends are great.

• specialk
    edited September 2012

fluff - glad you are doing better! 

• GreenMonkey
    GreenMonkey Member Posts: 291
    edited September 2012

Lots of positive, healing, going on here today! I think its contagious. Even grumpy me is feeling the benefits. 

Chris, that is sweet!  I like that your husband is close enough to text your mom. I like that your mom told you he texted you. you've got a great circle of love. 

Fluff, glad your temp is stabilized! I feel the same way, whatever happens now... I'm DONE! 5 surgeries in less than 7 months.

Renn, I have a cotton surgical vest with velcro in the front. My PS told me on day two that I didn't need to wear it anymore but I'm following your PS's advice. 

• mkw1
    mkw1 Member Posts: 102
    edited September 2012

Hi Ladies: I do not post very often, because of time constrains and because writing does not come easy to me.

I have developed some redness at the bottom of my left implant. It does not look "angry red". It looks more like light orange and slightly pink. I am not running a fever. I call my PS to let him know of this new development and he put me again on antibiotics just in case it is an infection.

I am hoping it is just an irritation or bruising of the skin.

Have any of you experienced any redness after your exchange? It has been three weeks since I had my exchange.

Thanks in advance for your input.

• Chrisrenee77
    edited September 2012

Greenmonkey-thank you. i found myself a great man. He's been very supportive with ALL my emotions my negativity and my breakdowns. I'm blessed.

• specialk
    edited September 2012

mkw - were you seen by your PS or did he call you in some meds?  If the antibiotic does not ease the discoloration shortly I would ask to be seen.

• Rennasus
    edited September 2012

Fluff: I wonder why you hurt more this time, did he take more fat? I hear ya on being done! And on being tired of laying around! ;-)

GreenMonkey: I always felt better wearing the surgical vest. I liked the support and I didn't worry about things as much. I've been doing without the vest since Tuesday and am still getting used to how I "feel" without support. I actually may sleep in the vest tonight, as I am a little sore on the sides today.

MKW: Take a close-up picture or two and email the photo to your PS. If it doesn't look better in the AM (regardless of whether or not you have a fever) call your PS again. It could just be irritation, but it also could be an infection, and your doc is the only one who can make that determination. Take a pen and draw a circle around the area so you can easily tell if it is getting bigger. 

SpecialK: I second that YAY for progress! Yell 

• specialk
    edited September 2012

ren - can I third the yay!  Anyway, I am so happy for you and keeping my fingers crossed that you are finally all set!

• mkw1
    edited September 2012

Special K and Ren,

Yes, I called the PS and he immediately called some antibiotics for me, just in case. I will take a picture and email it to him.

Are there other causes of redness other than an infection?

• Rennasus
    edited September 2012

mkw: irritation and allergic reaction come to mind. If the area is a warmer temperature than the rest of your skin, that can be a sign of infection tho. I'm no doctor, so please continue to consult with yours. And hang in there!

• mkw1
    edited September 2012

Renn, It looks like it is clearing up, thank GOD. I will keep watching it and if needed go to see the PS. I am fortunate that he is very accessible. He definitely does not want me to loose this implant.

I am so glad that the healing process is going well for you and that you are resting and sleeping well. I also noticed that you mentioned taking colace. Is there a benefit to taking colace longterm? I just took it for a few days after surgery.

• Rennasus
    edited September 2012

mkw: Good to hear things are looking up (and clearing up!). Colace acts like soap for the colon (that is how my DH, who is a pharmacist, describes it). It's not dangerous, and adds moisture. I am taking it every day right now because after surgery my system is very slow to recover. If you don't have any problems with constipation, then it's not necessary to take it. But if you could use a little help, try it. Like the commercial says, "it doesn't make you go, it makes it easier to go." (Oh, the things we discuss post-cancer!) 

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,801
    edited October 2012

I am all better. No more fever and rash is gone. Got the usual yeast infection now, but I have stuff for that.

Renn, he actually took waaayyy less this time, as last time, I had him do a full on ab lipo also. Maybe I sat around more last time, and didn't think I was invincible like this time, where I went out the day after surgery, showed three houses, had dinner out, and then shopped for my DD s Thailand trip. Lol. I was so wiped by 8 o'clock and really sore, and I hadn't taken any pain pills since I was showing houses. That was just stupid on my part. I spent the next three days pretty much sleeping and laying around.

• DLL66
    DLL66 Member Posts: 448
    edited October 2012

Glad your fever is gone, fluff. Glad things are looking better, mkw1.

The student group at USF cancelled their BC event due to scheduling conflicts.

I have a PS appt tomorrow. That will be my first dr appt in 6 weeks!  

• olgah34
    olgah34 Member Posts: 300
    edited October 2012

Hello again!

Yesterday I had an appt. with both PS and mikrosurgeon. We had a long conversation. Both agreed I am not a candidate for DIEP.I still have another opinion at Duke Univesity next week. PS told me he would put another expander while doing Latissimus and , if everything OK , next operation will be breast implants.( I still have TE in right breast, nothing in left) Because of my chemo brain I took my friend Melinda, who took notes . It was a good idea.I did not decide and did not schedule operation yet. I hope, I hope, I hope this time works for me...

• Rennasus
    edited October 2012

Hi Olgah! I hope, I hope, I hope everything works out for you this time too. So glad you took your friend with you, these consultations can be mind-bogeling! Should be interesting to see what they say next week at Duke. After you have all that info, trust your gut as to what to do. Please, keep us posted! Good to hear from you.

DLL66: YAY on not hanging around doctor's offices so often! 

FLUFF: Glad you're feeling better and yup, sounds like you have a case of the over doer! LOL! Has your DD arrived in Thailand? What an experience for her! Stay well.

MKW: 'sup on the rash front? Embarassed 

• mkw1
    edited October 2012

Renn,

I went to see the PS yesterday. He does not see any infection with the implant or the skin around it. He says that that breast is doing wonderful considering all the trauma it has experienced. He sent me to do some blood work just in case, because I have been running a fever for the last five days. However, my symptoms seem to resemble a sinus infection accompanied by body aches, nausea. I am doing much better today, though.

DLL66,

Having to go less to the PS is a good sign that everything is healing well. That's great!

• Chrisrenee77
    edited October 2012

I dont know about ya'll but im tired of always going to dr offices. I want to go someplace that i want to go to. And what is up with all the needle sticks? Its funny when you get diagnosed with cancer all the damn vampires come out looking for blood.

Renn- glad you are feeling much better and no infection.

On a funny note everytime i see DD i think designated driver or DH i think of designated hitter. Sorry haha

• tfee
    tfee Member Posts: 8
    edited October 2012

I am so neglectful about checking this board, but I feel so connected when I read it.

SheChirple: Thanks for the encouragement after my last rambling post.

SpecialK: Did you switch from Femara to Arimidex due to side effects? The intense joint pain I experienced while I was on Femara was relieved within a few weeks after I switched over to Arimidex.

You are all in my prayers!

• specialk
    edited October 2012

tfee - yes - I had joint pain and developed a trigger thumb on Femara so my onc suggested a switch to see if I would be better with Arimidex.  The pain in the thumb is much better and I have less joint aching on Arimidex, but still have some.  He also suggested joint supplements, and I decided to go gluten-free as well as I had read that that helps some ladies.

• Katarina
    Katarina Member Posts: 99
    edited October 2012

I had my implant removed after incision failure on August 30th. I've had 3 seroma aspirations per week since then. Not sure if having a drain in is safe after 20 days due to risk of infection. Aspirations are about as bad as drains though. Sorry for the upsetting share.

• tfee
    tfee Member Posts: 8
    edited October 2012

Sorry to hear about your seroma troubles, Katarina. Did you have no drains after your surgery? 3 aspirations a week sounds like a lot.

Thank you, SpecialK for sharing your information. My joint pain is still here, too, but it's so much less intense than before. I'm thinking about trying some supplements...any recommendations?

• DLL66
    edited October 2012

So sorry to hear that, Katarina. I had something similar happen & lost a couple of implants on my rads side.

Hope everyone is healing & making progress.

I'll have nips constructed in Dec. Yay for finally getting to that point. We're going to another concert tonight...this is my third in less than 2 weeks. Toldja I was on a mission to have fun! 

• momof3infla
    momof3infla Member Posts: 333
    edited October 2012

DLL I'm getting nips in December, too. Laughing

Renn - my surgery date is December 6th. She said it would take an hour or less. What a nice change that will be haha. Surgery #6 for me. Hopefully it's the last.

• DLL66
    edited October 2012

Yay, momof3! I'm on for 12/7 unless he gets a cancellation before that. 

• chickadee521
    chickadee521 Member Posts: 423
    edited October 2012

momof3...since you and I share a distaste for anestesia you might want to ask if they would be willing to put you out only using gas.  I did that for my nipple surgery since it was going to be so short. WORLD OF DIFFERENCE!!! No puking at all!