Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

TE TROUBLE

Comments

• SheChirple
    SheChirple Member Posts: 95
    edited December 2012

krazykat....I had mine out back in August. 4 months later the skin has shrunk back in and I'm almost flat on that side.

• GreenMonkey
    GreenMonkey Member Posts: 291
    edited December 2012

GREAT news annemarieh!!! what a relief I'm sure :)

• momof3infla
    momof3infla Member Posts: 333
    edited December 2012

So glad to hear, Special K, GM and chick!

I see my PS tomorrow, hopefully to get some of the stitches out.  Left side is still oozing just a tiny bit.  Left side skin is also slightly yellow.  Is that OK?  No pain, swelling, etc... it all looks good, but the skin is a bit yellow. 

• SheChirple
    SheChirple Member Posts: 95
    edited December 2012

Yellow is ok.  It's healing, like an old bruise.  Inflamed red is bad. Ooozing from the incision?  That might be a problem.  They might want to leave the stitches in until the oozing stops.

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,800
    edited December 2012

SpecialK...here is what I wore. http://showcase.designveronique.com/designveronique/index.php/shop/postsurgical/recovery-kits/torso-brief-recovery-kit.html

It was TIGHT! I had to pull it around to the side, zip it on the side and then do the hooks over the zipper. Thank heavens there were hooks in between my legs so that I didn't have to take it off and on much for a week. And it felt much better having it on for that first week, than off. Kind of held it all in place.

• momof3infla
    edited December 2012

Yeah, I don't think she'll take out all the stitches from the nipple.  She said that she'd probably take out some, but not all.  I'll keep ya posted:)  It's making me nuts not being able to get out and exercise. 

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited December 2012

fluff - did they put it on you after surgery or did you order it, or did the PS order it?  I woke up with my bulletproof vest on, and PS and I discussed the lower body compression, but this was not what I was expecting to see when I woke up.

• DLL66
    DLL66 Member Posts: 448
    edited December 2012

Yay. I did not have to go back in to see my PS; it looks much better today. I just suck at healing, I guess. 

Hope things went well with your stitches removal, momof3 & hope you aren't too sore, SpecialK. Yay for healing annemarieh!

• specialk
    edited December 2012

Just went shopping for better compression garments - got a couple of one-piece things and a panty type thing that comes up really high.  In the meantime the surgery center nurse called to check on me and my DD told her about the compression dilemma, she seemed tothink they put it on me wrong, lol!

dll - yay on the ornament - are you eating protein like a good girl?

• rozem
    rozem Member Posts: 749
    edited December 2012

hi guys

just wondering for those that did not have nipple sparring how big is your scar where your nipple was?  my friend was a little shocked at how long mine was because she said her friends's (who did direct to implant) is only about 2inches.  I would say mine is way bigger, like across most of my boob- probably closer to 3.5 inches.  What determines how big an incision is made.  Does anybody know?

• roadwarrior28
    roadwarrior28 Member Posts: 161
    edited December 2012

Rosem - my nipples are gone but I asked the surgeon to leave the areoles. My scars are a little less than an inch on each side

• fluffqueen01
    edited December 2012

Special K....I woke up with the thing on. Makes me wonder how much they throw us around in surgery, because that would have taken some kind of work to get on while I was comatose, lol.

It was hard enough to get on myself! I bet it took three people easily.

Rozem, my scars are really wide. Almost side to side. With the exception of the outer area that he had to open up several times for removal, etc, they are really starting to thin out.

• GreenMonkey
    edited December 2012

oh.... boy do I feel like a sausage... I just came home with a new one too. my PS somehow squeezed me into it. it by marina and it almost, kind of sexy, in a kinky sort of way. its crotchless and there are zippers and snaps up the side. and even a touch of lace. this will be my new diet aid. it is impossible to eat in it. it's high waisted which I had to release. getting up and down is brutal, but once you settle in its tolerable. mine comes down to my knee's because I had the thigh work. 

How long do we have to wear these things? I forgot to ask. 

DLL66 OH GOOD!!! so glad it looks better. you're healing!!! I'm so excited for all of us!

momo, I have yet to get that will to exercise back so keep talking about it, I'm hoping its contagious! 

all my stitches are dissoluble and clear so I can't see them. she took all the bandages off today - I can't get over it! 

I was wrong on the type of nipple method she used its a CV flap, like someone else mentioned. I did a blog post about my nipples here: (my attempt at humor) 

http://greenmonkeytales.blogspot.com/2012/12/its-nipple-time.html

• GreenMonkey
    edited December 2012

and here is a pic, if this works... 

• jill47
    jill47 Member Posts: 85
    edited December 2012

Greenmonkey, you are seriously funny! My DH can't figure out why I'm chucking to myself.  Congratulations on what looks like a lot of work for those nipples, which look amazing.  You've had a hard journey, I'm glad you are getting the reward you deserve.  I wish your continued happy healing days ahead. 

• fluffqueen01
    edited December 2012

Green monkey...great pic, but take it down.you might get in trouble,with the moderators. I posted a link to my spot on the picture forum once and they messages me that they were going to kick me out because I was compromising the board.

I think men is kind of sexy too. Has a little lace and a pink flower. Get this though... The thing comes in champagne, black, and one other color. I had to wear it for six weeks. Guess what color I woke up in? Black. WTH? I couldn't wear light colored tops for six long weeks unless I put an extra shirt over it, which gave me a hot flash.

Oh....here is a tip...I thought the material was uncomfortable and got itchy when worn for a long time (like 24 hours), so I cut up an old wife beater, which was pretty thin and wore it under the girdle thing. It helped a lot.

You are right about the tightness. I am convinced it contributed to the rib pain I had for awhile.

• GreenMonkey
    edited December 2012

Fluff, thanks for the warning... I'm too compressed to battle with moderators but that seems nutty that we can't share pictures of our reconstructed breasts on a breast reconstruction forum. I'm going to read the rules and ..... yep, probably blog about it :) 

• GreenMonkey
    edited December 2012

thank you jill47! love knowing I made you chuckle! my cat never laughs at my jokes. and boy, we are both extremely lucky ladies... my LCIS and ALH was also not picked up until my final pathology report! 

• momof3infla
    edited December 2012

All went well at PS.  No stitches were taken out, and she said the yellowing is fine, just bruising.  So she'll be on vacation until Jan 3rd!  I will see her on the 4th.  She said it wouldn't hurt a thing by the stitches being in that long.  And I can stop using the nipple shields in 9 more days YIPPEE, I can't stand them lol

• chickadee521
    chickadee521 Member Posts: 423
    edited December 2012

I laughed greenmonkey!  Interesting though about the alloderm.  I don't think I got any and my nipples are for all practical purposes flat.  Although at first I was a little disappointed, I now don't care.  The tattoo shadowed them to make them look fuller.  The up side is I can go braless without the headlights!

• DLL66
    edited December 2012

Glad things are all olay, momof3. What kind of shields are you using?

LOL, GM! Hope you are doing well & not too sore.

SpecialK, I think I blew too many calories on Xmas cookies instead of extra protein. I need to switch that up.

• specialk
    edited December 2012

dll - lol!  That is a danger at this time of year!

• GreenMonkey
    edited December 2012

momo, thats great news! how long did you need to keep the shields on total? 

I see my PS on the 3rd, I forgot to ask how long for the compression garment and nipple shields. 

chickadee.... my nipples are HUGE! I sure hope they don't stay this way and if they do flatten out, I am with you.... tatt them out and let them be :) 

We've all seen the Sex and the City episode where Samantha wears the fake nipples and gets all that male attention.. well, if mine stay as they are I will look chilly all the time even with a padded bra. 

I can't believe I can't post a link to a photo of my mounds with nips. thats ridiculous!!!

I love christmas cookies!!! just the smell of them alone ....yummmmm 

SpecialK - how long do you have to wear your compression garment? Did you find one you like (as if there is such a thing)

DLL, thanks for reminding me to eat more protein. its hard to eat anything in this torture devise aka compression garment. 

• specialk
    edited December 2012

GM - I am thinking I will be wearing the compression for weeks - like at least a month or more.  I am actually more comfortable in it - but I did not have anything taken from my thighs - I had upper/lower abdomen, hips and lower back, so mine is shaped like a one-piece bathing suit.  I did find a couple yesterday that I like, including one that the top is below the bra-line with short shorts, the one I am wearing now, and another that is like a high-waisted panty.  My post-op is Thursday so I will find out more then and let you know.

• fluffqueen01
    edited December 2012

I had to wear mine for six weeks, 24/7. Only took it off to shower. No thigh part for mine as no thigh lipo. I'm glad as I hate those thigh garments.

• momof3infla
    edited December 2012

GM, I have to wear the nip shields for three weeks after surgery. And my nips are huge too.  I feel like I've got 2 thumbs hitch hiking on my chest LOL! 

DLL, I'm not sure what kind they are, they are the ones that I came home with after surgery.  They are clear plastic and look like little sombreros.  Nine days and counting and they are history!  I hope mine flatten out, I was already on the fence about even getting the nips done.  Time will tell:)

Special K, I'll let you know when I head to Oldsmar to the tat place.  PS said three months after nips are healed.

• specialk
    edited December 2012

momof3 - sounds good!  The sombrero thing made me laugh!

• GreenMonkey
    edited December 2012

me too!  the visual on the sombrero! haaaa...also the two thumbs hitchhiking!  LOL :)))) 

SpecialK - sorry to be such a pest, but what did you find? the thigh part of the compression is not a pain issue for me, its the muffin top area (waist/hips) and my garment kills me when I sit or fold in any way (as in sitting up in bed. It feel like too much in the waist... so yours sounds ideal!

I want to invent a whole new type of nipple cone but I have no idea what it will look like at this point. Maybe after some vicodin I'll get a better idea.  My shields we're made by my doctor - they're the tops of syringe containers (???) 

still waiting on clarification from the moderator on whether or not I can post a link to pictures of my nips. 

fluff, I feel like if my compression/torture suit could stop below the breast instead of at the waist it would be better? maybe not. there is an upper tummy band - its heavy duty i can't use it. this is so hard to explain.  

• fluffqueen01
    edited December 2012

Green monkey...my PS invented a great shield. After my sombreros kept falling off, he told me to get round makeup sponges,cut a hole out of the middle and tape it on. Worked great! He also said the Dr. scholl's corn bads with the whole in the middle were good, but those have adhesive on them and made me paranoid. Lol. I have some adhesive sensitivities.

Here is a link to my garment. http://showcase.designveronique.com/designveronique/index.php/shop/postsurgical/recovery-kits/torso-brief-recovery-kit.html

They make it with thigh options also. It was like a one piece swimsuit without the breast part. Stopped right under my breast. But it was very tight girdle material. For the first few days, I found it hard to breathe with laying down and the edge would cause my ribs to hurt from the pressure. That is when I developed the undershirt idea. It softened it a bit.

My nips have flattened out a lot. Just a little bit in the middle now.

• DLL66
    edited December 2012

LOL, fluff! That is exactly what I am using right now to protect my ornaments. My PS said they would flatten out a lot & he purposely made the non-rads side bigger because the rads side will not shrink as much. I was not told to protect them; I am doing that on my own because I don't want them to over-flatten.

I also have to wait 3 months for tattoos. Because of my history of complications, I will be having mine done at the PS' office. The girl that did the tattoo on my shoulder does them & she does beautiful work (& only charges $50).